[REMOVE ADS]

THE SUPREMES 1976 "He's My Man" Live at The Royal Hawaiian in Falls Church, Virginia

I understand that this is Susaye Greene's concert debut with the group. They made reference to it on American Bandstand during the time they were opening at the Royal Hawaiian. Great days!

Check out this awesome new remix of one of my favorite Supremes songs here:

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    There are no female groups now or even in the 80s, 90s etc,etc that could sing like this live and in concert. I cannot name one. Can you?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    There are no female groups now or even in the 80s, 90s etc,etc that could sing like this live and in concert. I cannot name one. Can you?
    I can name a few. The Pointer Sisters [[started off 70s but I think had more of an impact in the 80s), SWV, Xscape, EnVogue, Brownstone all were capable of giving you some serious vocal moments live.

You forgot Jade
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I can name a few. The Pointer Sisters [[started off 70s but I think had more of an impact in the 80s), SWV, Xscape, EnVogue, Brownstone all were capable of giving you some serious vocal moments live.

the Three Degrees still going strong today and TLC and the Bangles and the Mary Jane Girls and the Bangles.

I agree with the Pointers Sisters having their greatest impact in the 80s. I do not know or have heard any group of women that sang with the brilliance of the Supremes live and in concert. There were some that were loud like LaBelle. There were some with great harmonies like The Jones Girls, but the Supremes just had it all! When I listen to these old live recordings from their shows I remember just how great they were across the years.

You forgot Jade
    "Don't Walk Away" right?

Go to 5:12 in the above live audio video and listen to those women blow! Strong, glorious vocal harmonies!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    "Don't Walk Away" right?
    "Don't Walk Away, Boy"....indeed Jade. One of my very favorites
    from back in the day. Those girls could sing.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    "Don't Walk Away, Boy"....indeed Jade. One of my very favorites
    from back in the day. Those girls could sing.
    They were great singers and had appeal. They should have been much bigger.

there was also another great female harmony group in the 90's. Think they were called For Real or Fo Real. I think they only did one album, but they were up with the very best. I recall them supporting someone back in the 90's and they were awesome. They had Toni Braxton type hairstyles as i recall. I am racking my brains here!

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    the Three Degrees still going strong today and TLC and the Bangles and the Mary Jane Girls and the Bangles.
    I've just seen an ad for the 3 Degrees touring the UK soon and it quite clearly says 'original line-up' thinking Sheila must be back I checked an no it's Freddie so how can they bill themselves as original line-up?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    there was also another great female harmony group in the 90's. Think they were called For Real or Fo Real. I think they only did one album, but they were up with the very best. I recall them supporting someone back in the 90's and they were awesome. They had Toni Braxton type hairstyles as i recall. I am racking my brains here!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_Real

Last edited by lakeside; 05-25-2019 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Oh thank you so much Lakeside! I have that cd somewhere, but i think there was another one from them too. Great voices. Such a pity they never really made it big.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    I've just seen an ad for the 3 Degrees touring the UK soon and it quite clearly says 'original line-up' thinking Sheila must be back I checked an no it's Freddie so how can they bill themselves as original line-up?
    If we are being pedantic Sheila was not a founder member of the group. She joined shortly after, but is not an original member. I wish she would rejoin the group, but there is a lot of bad blood out there with other longterm members. Does that sound familiar to anyone? It is not just the Supremes who suffered internal conflict.

OKURR!?!

Also Labelle, Jade and Brownstone.

All those groups could sing the Supremes under the rug. I'm sorry but I don't know why some "fans" act like the Supremes even from the later years were the best vocal group lol

Susaye and Scherrie were great singers but they weren't the Pointer Sisters or Patti, Nona and Sarah. LMAO!!!

That’s his opinion and he isn’t the only “fan” that feels that way. But it’s interesting that all of these groups that can SANG, couldn’t achieve the same levels of success as the Supremes did.
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    OKURR!?!

Also Labelle, Jade and Brownstone.

All those groups could sing the Supremes under the rug. I'm sorry but I don't know why some "fans" act like the Supremes even from the later years were the best vocal group lol

Susaye and Scherrie were great singers but they weren't the Pointer Sisters or Patti, Nona and Sarah. LMAO!!!

That’s his opinion and he isn’t the only “fan” that feels that way. But it’s interesting that all of these groups that can SANG, couldn’t achieve the same levels of success as the Supremes did.
    They didn't have this guy:

5 Miles to Empty....by Brownstone. One of my all time favorites from any group.

Exactly! None of them even came close. I enjoyed some of the recordings of those other groups, but focusing on the live vocal performance I hear here on the Supremes, I feel that they were the greatest.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    They didn't have this guy:

That guy was not singing in the clip I listened to........

Valerie wasn’t an original member either , for that matter. I thought Sheila left to raise her children.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Valerie wasn’t an original member either , for that matter. I thought Sheila left to raise her children.
    You're correct Luke regarding Valerie.
    [[from Wiki)
    The Three Degrees is an American female vocal group, which was originally formed in 1965 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.[1] Although a total of 15 women have been a member over the years, the group has always been a trio. The current line-up consists of Valerie Holiday, Helen Scott and Freddie Pool. Holiday has been a member since she first joined in 1967, while Scott has been a permanent member since 1976, having previously been in the group from 1965 to 1966. The group were particularly successful in the UK, achieving 13 Top 50 hit singles between 1974 and 1985.
    The original members were Fayette Pinkney, Shirley Porter and Linda Turner. Porter and Turner were soon replaced by Janet Harmon and Helen Scott. The line-up from 1967 to 1976 was Pinkney, Valerie Holiday and Sheila Ferguson, who would go on to sing lead on most of the group's biggest hits. This line-up topped the US Hot 100 as featured vocalists on the MFSB single "TSOP [[The Sound of Philadelphia)" in 1974, and had seven UK Top 40 hits, including the 1974 single "When Will I See You Again", which was a huge international hit, reaching the Top 5 in seven countries, including number two in the US and topping the UK Singles Chart.[2] When Pinkney left the group in 1976, she was replaced by a returning Helen Scott. This line-up had four UK Top 20 hits, including "Woman in Love", which reached number three in 1979. Ferguson left for a solo career in 1986.

The group's most stable line-up was from 1989 to 2010, with Cynthia Garrison joining Holiday and Scott. They achieved a final UK chart entry, reaching number 54 in 1998 with a dance cover of "Last Christmas". Garrison left the band at the end of 2010 due to health reasons, and was replaced by Freddie Pool in 2011. The group's 2016 album, Strategy: Our Tribute to Philadelphia, was their first studio album release with Pool as a member. Holiday and Scott have now been members of the group together for over 40 years, with Holiday having been a permanent member for over 50 years.

I thought the 3 Degrees formed earlier than 1965. For some reason I am remembering reading that Richard Barrett formed the group around 1962 or 63.

I felt I was right about the Three Degrees. They were formed by Richard Barrett in 1963 and the original members were :
    Fayette Pinkney, Linda Turner and Shirley Poole. Their first record was "Gee Baby[[I'm Sorry) in 1964. Fayette sang the lead on it.

There's a nice picture of the original group here:

http://classicurbanharmony.net/wp-co...es-Showmen.pdf

Yes, 1963 would be about right. Here's a little more info. on Fayette. Hard to believe she's
    been gone for 10 years. Sounds like she chose a different path and did quite well.

Fayette Pinkney, Soulful Singer With the Three Degrees, Dies at 61

By WILLIAM GRIMESJULY 1, 2009

Fayette Pinkney, an original member of the Three Degrees who lent her strong, soulful voice to the 1970s hits “When Will I See You Again?” and “T.S.O.P. [[The Sound of Philadelphia),” the theme song of the television show “Soul Train,” died Saturday in Lansdale, Pa. She was 61.

The death was confirmed by Abington Health Lansdale Hospital. The cause was acute respiratory failure, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported.
    The Three Degrees formed in the early 1960s when Ms. Pinkney, who was still going to Overbrook High School in Philadelphia, joined with Shirley Porter and Linda Turner under the management of Richard Barrett, the record producer behind the Chantels and Little Anthony and the Imperials.
    For more than a decade, Ms. Pinkney was the one constant in a group whose members came and went. She sang on the group’s first single, “Gee Baby [[I’m Sorry),” on its 1970 hit “Maybe” and on the hits for Philadelphia International Records in the 1970s that helped the define the Philadelphia sound.
    Photo

Fayette Pinkney, left, with Sheila Ferguson and Valerie Holiday, members of the Three Degrees in its 1974 incarnation. Credit Fred Mott, Evening Standard, via Getty Images In a statement, Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff, the label’s founders, called the Three Degrees “our Philly sound version of Motown’s Supremes, but bigger and stronger and melodic.”
    Advertisement

Continue reading the main story
    The group’s first two singles for Philadelphia International, “Dirty Ol’ Man” and “I Didn’t Know,” were modest successes, but “T.S.O.P.,” a mostly instrumental piece featuring the studio band MFSB, reached No. 1 on both the R&B and pop charts in 1974. “When Will I See You Again?,” which sold more than two million records, reached No. 2 on the pop charts that year.
    Continue reading the main story

Their close-harmony singing made the Three Degrees a popular nightclub act. The group performed with Engelbert Humperdinck at the Riviera Hotel in Las Vegas; a performance at the Copacabana in Manhattan ended up in the 1971 film “The French Connection.”
    After leaving the Three Degrees and recording a solo album, “One Degree,” in 1979, Ms. Pinkney studied psychology at Temple University and earned a master’s in human services at Lincoln University in Pennsylvania in 1985. She began working as an administrative assistant for the Medical College of Pennsylvania and rose to become an education coordinator there. She later counseled incoming patients at United Behavioral Health in Philadelphia.
    She is survived by a brother, Nathaniel.
    Ms. Pinkney continued to sing. “I travel with a unique group called the Intermezzo Choir Ministry,” she told the Web site thethreedegrees.com. “Yes, I do still love people and I love to make them smile.”
    Correction: July 6, 2009
    Because of an editing error, an obituary on Wednesday about Fayette Pinkney, an original member of the singing group the Three Degrees, misstated the year the movie “The French Connection,” in which the group appeared, was released. It was 1971 — not 1975, which is the year “French Connection II” was released.

Anyway, the Supremes were great at singing in many styles and genres. Here they show they can sing the Blues with the best of them!