[REMOVE ADS]

Sidney Poitier, Oscar-winning actor & Hollywood's first Black movie star, dies at 94

From CNN.com-
    Sidney Poitier, whose elegant bearing and principled onscreen characters made him Hollywood's first Black movie star and the first Black man to win the best actor Oscar, has died. He was 94.

Clint Watson, press secretary for the Prime Minister of the Bahamas, confirmed to CNN that Poitier died Thursday evening.
    Poitier overcame an impoverished background in the Bahamas and softened his thick island accent to rise to the top of his profession at a time when prominent roles for Black actors were rare. He won the Oscar for 1963's "Lilies of the Field," in which he played an itinerant laborer who helps a group of White nuns build a chapel.
    Many of his best-known films explored racial tensions as Americans were grappling with social changes wrought by the civil rights movement. In 1967 alone, he appeared as a Philadelphia detective fighting bigotry in small-town Mississippi in "In the Heat of the Night" and a doctor who wins over his White fiancée's skeptical parents in "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner."

Read More Here-
    Sidney Poitier, Oscar-winning actor and Hollywood's first Black movie star, dies at 94 - CNN

A man who had to figuratively carry the weight of the world on his shoulders to represent Black folks with dignity and integrity did so with the greatest of grace. Sleep in power and peace, Sir Sidney...well done.

MAJOR, MAJOR TALENT!! COMMANDING PRESENCE!!!!

Without a doubt, Sans.....that man was everything!!!!!! Agree whole heartedly with you!!
    He will be missed!! RIP.....the Good Lord needs you with Him.:[[

Who could forget “the slap heard ‘round the world”? Absolutely earth-shattering for 1967–the year he also became Hollywood’s number-one box office star with three smash hits [plus this one!!!]:

Excellent choice, Sans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moe View Post
    Excellent choice, Sans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Indeed! This was right around the time he got production leverage to do more interesting work than his usual "perfect Negro" roles. Remember Buck and the Preacher? A Warm December [the Black answer to Love Story]? Brother John, where he was a Christ-like figure? What a gaping loss...

Sans, what did you think of A Patch Of Blue? Just curious.

Sans, what did you think of A Patch Of Blue? Just curious.
    Well-acted and -directed by all, but ultimately...meh. It tried too hard to be earnest and bleeding-hearted. Shelley Winters stole the movie, though. She chewed that scenery like it was Doublemint!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Well-acted and -directed by all, but ultimately...meh. It tried too hard to be earnest and bleeding-hearted. Shelley Winters stole the movie, though. She chewed that scenery like it was Doublemint!
    You just confirmed what I thought all along.......

You just confirmed what I thought all along.......
    Okay? I mean, of course the white girl who falls in love with his character has to be blind, right? Hit me over the head with an Acme anvil, why don't ya.

Another icon gone. He had more iconic scenes than can fairly be counted. Thank God, those moments will never be lost.

The new guard confronts the old [with Roy E. Glenn, Sr.]:

Sans, you posted my favorite scene in my favorite SP movie! Just think, he's in this
    "controversial" movie [at the time]. And he's co-starring with two HUGE legendary actors!
    Personally, he should've been nominated for the Oscar for Best Actor along with Spencer Tracy.
    Such presence!!

Sans, you posted my favorite scene in my favorite SP movie! Just think, he's in this
    "controversial" movie [at the time]. And he's co-starring with two HUGE legendary actors!
    Personally, he should've been nominated for the Oscar for Best Actor along with Spencer Tracy.
    Such presence!!
    Real talk! Thank goodness the fabulous Beah Richards rightfully got a supporting actress nod as his mother [though she was only about 6 years older than Poitier!], but I would have loved to have seen Isabel Sanford get a nomination as well for playing the holy hell out of the tough-as-nails maid Tillie:

Last edited by sansradio; 01-09-2022 at 07:08 AM.

Didn't Shelley pretty much do that with all her characters? Think: The Poseisdon Adventure [[original) when she drowned; still tear up to this day! That flick where she plays Montgomery Clift's side chick to his two-timing with Liz Taylor, etc.

I agree with you on A Patch of Blue, Sans.

Real talk! Thank goodness the fabulous Beah Richards rightfully got a supporting actress nod as his mother [though she was only about 6 years older than Poitier!], but I would have loved to have seen Isabel Sanford get a nomination as well for playing the holy hell out of the tough-as-nails maid Tillie:

Yeah, right, Sans. No mammy-ism for the future Mrs. Jefferson!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Didn't Shelley pretty much do that with all her characters? Think: The Poseisdon Adventure [[original) when she drowned; still tear up to this day! That flick where she plays Montgomery Clift's side chick to his two-timing with Liz Taylor, etc.

I agree with you on A Patch of Blue, Sans.
    Yeah, you’re right about Shelley! Two words: CLEOPATRA JONES.😁😁😁