[REMOVE ADS]

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Has everyone had their say here?
    Yes Ralph, thank you.

Amanda Seales advises Gladys to perform "Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing" instead:
    https://www.ajc.com/entertainment/ac...Vv2H53bCBQpXL/

Interesting because she sang it with BeBe Winans a few years back:

But that whole "tap dancing" thing is confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Gladys got shit all over, here and many places except Fox

Goes with the territory these days; everyone gets crapped on; but she did make choices here

I don't believe Gladys got "sh*t all over" here , except by a few very vocal members who are dominating the thread , making it appear that way.

I suspect most forum members are thrilled that one of Motown's most treasured alumni has been chosen for this honor especially at this point in her career and look forward to hearing her "tear it up" as Ralph says.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Gladys got shit all over, here and many places except Fox

Goes with the territory these days; everyone gets crapped on; but she did make choices here
    No she has not. She is an entertainer and she made a political statement. That's bound to have people agree or disagree with her. Disagreeing with her or questioning her motivations is not crapping on her. In fact, most people who lament her choice stated that they still like her music even if they detest her decision. And if the only outlet that embraced her decision is Fox News, that only validates the opinions of those who oppose her.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I don't believe Gladys got "sh*t all over" here , except by a few very vocal members who are dominating the thread , making it appear that way.

I suspect most forum members are thrilled that one of Motown's most treasured alumni has been chosen for this honor especially at this point in her career and look forward to hearing her "tear it up" as Ralph says.
    I'm one of the most vocal members on this thread against her decision and I haven't crapped on anyone. If I'm "dominating" it, so be it. But I doubt most forum members are even watching the Super Bowl, let alone waiting with bated breath to hear her sing the anthem. I couldn't care less if she tears it up or chokes in the middle of it, because I won't be watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I'm one of the most vocal members on this thread against her decision and I haven't crapped on anyone. If I'm "dominating" it, so be it. But I doubt most forum members are even watching the Super Bowl, let alone waiting with bated breath to hear her sing the anthem. I couldn't care less if she tears it up or chokes in the middle of it, because I won't be watching.
    I think that is the part we play in the protest. Boycott watching the NFL [[and their sponsors). If you don't buy from the sponsors, they cannot continue to produce it for television.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    You take our complaints as "arguments". No, the point is it's not an argument unless you feel so upset that it is personally killing you that we're not showering Gladys Maria Knight with praise all the time. Every legend on here has the right to get criticized for the things they do and, yes, that, includes the "Supreme Diva". I love Marvin Gaye to death but if he had done the same thing in 1968 if he was still living, I'd be criticizing his actions too when he knows good well what has been going on [[and FTR, I doubt he would be happy with Gladys either, he'd be supporting Colin - openly, I might add. I know Janis has!).

But that's what separates Marvin and Stevie from everyone else as far the Motown legends in general, I suppose. They're the two Motown icons who were outspoken about social ills in their music and conversations. Stevie is a open supporter of Colin and his actions. I dare any of you who hate the fact we're criticizing Gladys to say that he's going too far or that he went too far last year [[or the year before last) when he and his son kneeled down in protest of the NFL's policies before a show.

Y'all took it to argue. We weren't arguing, we were simply airing our disappointments in her. But if you wanna claim that some of us are arguing, so be it. I can't speak for everyone else but I meant no harm... and I won't take back what I said. But I wish no ill will towards you. Maybe not clicking on this thread would help? Just a suggestion.
    Nope, I ain't upset at all, and it's certainly not killing me, my apologies to all for my point of view, I initially joined this site to learn more about the fantastic music that has been released throughout the years, and read the fabulous comments from people far more knowledgeable than me. As for the Super Bowl, nothing anyone says will change my opinion on it, as mine will not change anyone else's...I can't wait to see Gladys perform !... looks like we will have to agree to disagree !...

No she has not. She is an entertainer and she made a political statement. That's bound to have people agree or disagree with her. Disagreeing with her or questioning her motivations is not crapping on her. In fact, most people who lament her choice stated that they still like her music even if they detest her decision. And if the only outlet that embraced her decision is Fox News, that only validates the opinions of those who oppose her.
    It's funny because Gladys and her husband were trying to make it appear as if their decision was APOLITICAL. But it still became a political statement regardless. She could've made it apolitical by just not saying anything and doing it. *shrug* Making statements sometimes don't help your cause.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I think that is the part we play in the protest. Boycott watching the NFL [[and their sponsors). If you don't buy from the sponsors, they cannot continue to produce it for television.
    Yeah. People [[and sadly, especially black people) don't understand the power of strategically spending their money or casting their votes. There is strength in numbers.

It's funny because Gladys and her husband were trying to make it appear as if their decision was APOLITICAL. But it still became a political statement regardless. She could've made it apolitical by just not saying anything and doing it. *shrug* Making statements sometimes don't help your cause.
    I agree 100%, midnightman. If a statement needs to be made, the words need to be parsed very carefully. Presenting your case as if you're butt hurt that someone would assail your blackness doesn't help. Simply stating "I understand the concerns of those who prefer that I not sing. I am not singing the anthem to make a political statement contrary to that of those calling for social justice and I have and will continue to join all who call for social change and justice reform." would have squashed it for 90% of us. Don't say anything beyond that. Don't react to criticism and don't answer any more questions.

Saying "I did my part already and if you don't like it, you can kiss my ***" [[not what she said, but it's what I heard) is guaranteed to make things worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Eargasm View Post
    Nope, I ain't upset at all, and it's certainly not killing me, my apologies to all for my point of view, I initially joined this site to learn more about the fantastic music that has been released throughout the years, and read the fabulous comments from people far more knowledgeable than me. As for the Super Bowl, nothing anyone says will change my opinion on it, as mine will not change anyone else's...I can't wait to see Gladys perform !... looks like we will have to agree to disagree !...
    You're entitled to your opinion and should only change it if you feel compelled, not because someone feels differently. Some of us have stated that we lost respect for Gladys but that is not to suggest that you need to. Enjoy the game.

I agree 100%, midnightman. If a statement needs to be made, the words need to be parsed very carefully. Presenting your case as if you're butt hurt that someone would assail your blackness doesn't help. Simply stating "I understand the concerns of those who prefer that I not sing. I am not singing the anthem to make a political statement contrary to that of those calling for social justice and I have and will continue to join all who call for social change and justice reform." would have squashed it for 90% of us. Don't say anything beyond that. Don't react to criticism and don't answer any more questions.

Saying "I did my part already and if you don't like it, you can kiss my ***" [[not what she said, but it's what I heard) is guaranteed to make things worse.
    Right. That whole "I protested too, big deal" statement was just heartless, man.

I agree with most of what you said in your other posts, but disagree that most won't be watching the SB. It will still be that $$ maker for the NFL. The anthem protest controversy, has disappeared, and it's business as usual in this country.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; 01-27-2019 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I agree with most of what you said in your other posts, but disagree that most won't be watching the SB. It will still be that $$ maker for the NFL. The anthem protest controversy, has disappeared, and it's business as usual in this country.
    I think he meant this forum, not America in general, CK.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    The Super Bowl will have great ratings like it always does. I just don't take the average Soulful Detroit user to be an NFL fan. Many aren't even from the States. That's who I was referring to.

The Super Bowl will have great ratings like it always does. I just don't take the average Soulful Detroit user to be an NFL fan. Many aren't even from the States. That's who I was referring to.

Gotcha, Fair enough...

It is people such as myself who has no interest whatsoever in The Super Bowl, and who does not live in the States whom i presume you were referring to Jerry, and to that end you were correct my friend. Respect to you.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Some of us have done that but you have some who can't depart from not watching the NFL because they're so used to their favorite teams. They just don't care... well they probably act like they would because of who is in the SB... but yeah the whole league needs a huge boycott. No one will do it though. We're stuck in our ways.

Some of us have done that but you have some who can't depart from not watching the NFL because they're so used to their favorite teams. They just don't care... well they probably act like they would because of who is in the SB... but yeah the whole league needs a huge boycott. No one will do it though. We're stuck in our ways.
    More importantly is to understand that the NFL does not enact laws or enable police brutality and racial injustice in the greater society. Judges, elected officials, police depts etc should the targets of protest and change.

This is the most publicity Gladys Knight has had in years and I bet you get sales are up for what value that is these days

Not sure what this will do to future bookings though

I was a huge fan [[with two teams, no less). I didn't watch this year [[except for when I was over my Dad's house) and I'm not watching this weekend. I'm not trying to get others to stop but I think it's going to be much easier for me to ignore it next season and beyond.

The thing that scares me is this[legalized gambling]thing,yes i know that games have always been bet on,but since vegas is getting teams,and let's not pretend that we don't know who owns vegas and controls all gambling in this country,i just see a pattern and it's scary..coincidence maybe???-2009[harricain hits n.o.,they get to superbowl..flood hits houston,they win world series,labron goes back to cleveland they over come 3-1 deficit to win nba title,rams go back to l.a. New stadium and superbowl,and let's not forget about the expansion golden knights getting to the nhl finals..oh and if you really wanna go back how bout-superbowl iii-jets-colts,who won that one and where was the nfl at that time?...can anyone say-merger!and i'll bet my dog's butt that in less than three years after the raiders move to vegas they get to the superbowl..stay tuned!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    The thing that scares me is this[legalized gambling]thing,yes i know that games have always been bet on,but since vegas is getting teams,and let's not pretend that we don't know who owns vegas and controls all gambling in this country,i just see a pattern and it's scary..coincidence maybe???-2009[harricain hits n.o.,they get to superbowl..flood hits houston,they win world series,labron goes back to cleveland they over come 3-1 deficit to win nba title,rams go back to l.a. New stadium and superbowl,and let's not forget about the expansion golden knights getting to the nhl finals..oh and if you really wanna go back how bout-superbowl iii-jets-colts,who won that one and where was the nfl at that time?...can anyone say-merger!and i'll bet my dog's butt that in less than three years after the raiders move to vegas they get to the superbowl..stay tuned!!
    Excellent observations JA!, wow!

If Gladys was unaware, or career desperate or had some other overriding reason, maybe it could be overlooked, but, choosing to do this makes me scratch my head. No way would Queen Ree, Ross, Tina, Beyoncé or Patti take this gig, and you can be sure Gladdy wasn’t their first choice. The players are under contract and this is their gig and can make their stand, Gladdy? ANYTHING to get attention. I’m so disappointed in her. None of us are free until we all are, and she’s not helping.

As a wag on another site's comment section cracked, "leave it to Gladys to gamble away her legacy."

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    As a wag on another site's comment section cracked, "leave it to Gladys to gamble away her legacy."
    I GASP at the shade while fanning myself with this week's In Touch magazine. Howevs, said wag is not incorrect.

Gladys' legacy is secure. I love her music and always will. Heard "On and On" on the radio twice in the last week and enjoyed hearing them. She gambled away what future she might have had, although she may not care at this point.

Rihanna was one of at least 3 people that said no before they got to Gladys

I don't know about all of that. Gladys is one of the "lifetime" artists. Doubt she's "gambling" it away but it definitely will have some marks on it. I agree with Jerry basically.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I GASP at the shade while fanning myself with this week's In Touch magazine. Howevs, said wag is not incorrect.
    You're the only one who caught what I did there. ;D

You're the only one who caught what I did there. ;D
    I bet I am !

Gladys' legacy is secure. I love her music and always will. Heard "On and On" on the radio twice in the last week and enjoyed hearing them. She gambled away what future she might have had, although she may not care at this point.
    I agree. Maybe she will collaboratte with the racist and homophobic Orin Hatch again. Im sure Faux News will plug there music.

A little Knight music might be timely on the forum right now irrespective of where your own strongly held views may lie........ profound words which deserve very careful listening to.....

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    A little Knight music might be timely on the forum right now irrespective of where your own strongly held views may lie........ profound words which deserve very careful listening to.....

I bought that CD back in the 90s just for Gladys version of this song. She is the greatest at what she does!

Just a side question

Why is the National Anthem played before sporting events anyway?

And whatever the answer is why does it only apply to sporting events?

They don’t play the anthem at movie theaters or concerts or plays

Just sports

I’ve always thought it was odd

Quote Originally Posted by Optimal Saint View Post
    Just a side question

Just sports

It is my understanding that they began doing that in order to boost recruitment efforts to the military services of the United States. They sing the Canadian National Anthem before sporting events there as well, but I don't think it is done with the same intentions.

There was a fairly lengthy piece on Canadian TV tonight on how difficult it was to find participants for the half time show and national anthem

It concentrated on Maroon 5 and how they were way past their prime

They tried for Rhianna Jay Z and Carlie B or is that Cardie B and were declined by all

They believe the damage wasn’t sufficient to those that said yes to make them able to resist the exposure

Just a side question

Just sports

Army recruits.

Gladys was on THE TODAY SHOW explaining her decision

Gladys Knight says her singing the national anthem at the Super Bowl will bring people together.

NBC's "Today" show reported Friday that Knight wrestled with whether to join a boycott over the NFL's treatment of Colin Kaepernick, the former quarterback who protested racial injustice by kneeling during the national anthem.

Kaepernick attorney Mark Geragos said the performers are "crossing an intellectual picket line; they're saying to themselves, 'I care more about my career than whether what I'm doing is right.'"

Knight said she's been working for civil rights and singing the anthem since she was a little girl.
    Knight says everyone has an opinion, "but once we get into that love thing, it all comes together and goes wherever and we end up clapping and having a good time."

https://www.nbcwashington.com/entert...505194971.html

I read that people are placing bets on how long it will take for Gladys to sing the anthem in in minutes and seconds.

Just a side question

Just sports

https://www.history.com/news/why-the...porting-events

Thanks for the link . I learned something

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I read that people are placing bets on how long it will take for Gladys to sing the anthem in in minutes and seconds.
    Yep, folks bet on everything; some are betting on whether she'll have the mic in hand as she walks out to sing or if it'll be handed to her!

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Gladys was on THE TODAY SHOW explaining her decision

Gladys Knight says her singing the national anthem at the Super Bowl will bring people together.

NBC's "Today" show reported Friday that Knight wrestled with whether to join a boycott over the NFL's treatment of Colin Kaepernick, the former quarterback who protested racial injustice by kneeling during the national anthem.

Kaepernick attorney Mark Geragos said the performers are "crossing an intellectual picket line; they're saying to themselves, 'I care more about my career than whether what I'm doing is right.'"

Knight said she's been working for civil rights and singing the anthem since she was a little girl.
    Knight says everyone has an opinion, "but once we get into that love thing, it all comes together and goes wherever and we end up clapping and having a good time."

https://www.nbcwashington.com/entert...505194971.html
    This is what Gladys and Motown were doing when they played before segregated audiences in the South in the 1960s. Smokey Robinson described situations where the rope dividing the races during their concerts would come down and everyone would end up dancing with everyone else. I don't know if we can come together today like that. There is too much hatred and hard feelings now.

There was time when that racist song wasn't sung at sporting events..maybe they should go back to!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    There was time when that racist song wasn't sung at sporting events..maybe they should go back to!!!
    I wonder when that song was first played at sporting events in the first place.

I also don't like how some people are still making it like racism is dying because of what happened in Gladys' time 60 years ago. Notice her Motown buddies have not been asked about this? Surprised TMZ didn't find Stevie at an airport and put a camera to his face. They sure had time to find him during the Blurred Lines controversy...

Milven, is this what you were talking about earlier?

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-vs-the-clock/

I also don't like how some people are still making it like racism is dying because of what happened in Gladys' time 60 years ago. Notice her Motown buddies have not been asked about this? Surprised TMZ didn't find Stevie at an airport and put a camera to his face. They sure had time to find him during the Blurred Lines controversy...
    Most of her Motown buddies have sung the Star Spangled Banner at televised sporting events. Some have sung it at the Super Bowl. What are they going to say "Uh Gladys, well you know I've sung it, even more than once......but you shouldn't"?