[REMOVE ADS]

Little girl blue - The Marvelettes

Hi folks,

IMO this song is really fantastic and amazing to hear Gladys in this high level of singing, I love the parts of the song when she goes up in her normal range. I´m wondering, why did the Marvelettes recorded only one song in that style with Gladys ?

Maybe it was produced for Wanda on lead and Gladys took the lead over and singing in style of Wanda ?

Maybe someone of you has answers, about that fact.

Thanks for any response.

where did they sing this? it's not part of the Forever sets.

It’s on “Deliver: The Singles [[1961-1971).

If I had heard this without knowing who it was, I could not have guessed Gladys Horton in a million years.

It was the B-side to "As Long As I Know He's Mine," and was written by HDH.

It reminds me a lot of The Supremes' "A Breathtaking Guy," although that was written by Smokey.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    where did they sing this? it's not part of the Forever sets.
    It is on the first of the Forever box sets but they have it titled as "He Won't Be True [[Little Girl Blue)" which is not the way it was titled on the single, at least not the single of "As Long As I Know He's Mine" which I have.

Gladys also sang "You Should Know" from the Playboy Album in falsetto

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    It is on the first of the Forever box sets but they have it titled as "He Won't Be True [[Little Girl Blue)" which is not the way it was titled on the single, at least not the single of "As Long As I Know He's Mine" which I have.
    It was probably renamed to distinguish from the old Rogers & Hart song of the same title the way "[[Love Is Like A) Heat Wave" was.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolKatz View Post
    Thank you very much CoolKatz, for this hint, I will check it out !

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    It was probably renamed to distinguish from the old Rogers & Hart song of the same title the way "[[Love Is Like A) Heat Wave" was.
    that's the song i was thinking they were referring to. was surprised that the marvelettes were doing Rogers and Hart

Janis Joplin did a remarkable version of the R&H classic in 1969 on her Kozmic Blues LP

Whenever the work of H-D-H is discussed, nobody seems to recall the work they did with The Marvelettes. Looking back, they did quite a few things with the girls and this one points up the care and extra work they were putting into their productions with The Marvelettes. While H-D-H hadn't yet really developed their signature sound, I like how songs like "[[He Won't Be True) Little Girl Blue" had some surprisingly busy and involved structures. Notice how H-D-H gave the group vocals the opening slot, and plenty to do to set up the song. Then, Gladys is sort of "slyly" worked into the song, eventually taking over. In the end, there is plenty of give-and-take and interaction between Gladys and her scolding friends. In my mind, this was more like a mini drama for the ears than just a regular song.

At first, I thought it was odd and unusual to have Gladys singing in a Wanda-like falsetto, especially given that most of the public had trouble telling Gladys and Wanda apart on certain songs! Then, I really appreciated that H-D-H would try something new with Gladys and the group.

I wonder if H-D-H, in composing 'He Won't Be True [[Little Girl Blue)', took inspiration from the reflective mood and arrangement of 'Foolish Little Girl' by The Shirelles.

The track was completed on May 20 1963, just as 'Foolish Little Girl' was hitting peak position on Billboard charts.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolKatz View Post
    That's right, she did! You know, it's amazing how much these two could sound like each other at times. Wanda could often sing like Gladys too. Good catch, CoolKatz!

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    Janis Joplin did a remarkable version of the R&H classic in 1969 on her Kozmic Blues LP
    It seems strange to think that Joplin and Diana Ross both recorded it!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    It seems strange to think that Joplin and Diana Ross both recorded it!
    Same LP Joplin covered the Chantels early RnR hit "Maybe" ….it is one of her best tracks.