[REMOVE ADS]

Irene Cara Dies at 63

She was the first pop star I ever met. So kind and gracious to my mother and I that night in Universal City, CA in ‘86. I’m crushed.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/fame-...ged-63-3356136
    Last edited by sansradio; 11-26-2022 at 10:32 AM.

Gosh, this is awful. I still remember when my mother took me to see Irene in SPARKLE. She was so beautiful. May she RIP.

Such sad news! She was still young! That 'obituary' neglects to mention that she was known to audiences before "Fame" as the titular character in the cult classic "Sparkle." I recall how she was taking off like a rocket as a recording artist in the 80s; winning Grammys and Oscars. "Fame" and "Flashdance [[What A Feeling)" are classics of that era. Irene was going to be the next Donna Summer...until Whitney Houston showed up.

Rest in power, Irene.

Damn, I'm feeling this sad news down in my heart. Gone too soon. Rest in peace, Irene.

Sansradio, thanks for sharing that memory. I don't doubt that she was so sweet and kind to you and your Mom. She seemed like a sweetheart.

I don't know why I seem to remember that she had some sort of health issue a few years back? I don't see anything about that online, so I may likely be misremembering.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Such sad news! She was still young! That 'obituary' neglects to mention that she was known to audiences before "Fame" as the titular character in the cult classic "Sparkle." I recall how she was taking off like a rocket as a recording artist in the 80s; winning Grammys and Oscars. "Fame" and "Flashdance [[What A Feeling)" are classics of that era. Irene was going to be the next Donna Summer...until Whitney Houston showed up.

Rest in power, Irene.
    Not to mention, Irene was also a cast member of the PBS series THE ELECTRIC COMPANY. I think that was the first place I ever saw her, even before SPARKLE.

Awful News! Rest In Power & Music Irene Cara.

Oh no! She was so young. I am heartbroken. She had a lovely voice and so much personality. God bless her.

Oh no, indeed. Just so sad. RIP, Irene.

So beautiful, gone too soon. RIP

Very sad, I was thinking about her recently how beautiful she was, another legend gone too soon, another bright star in the heavens...r.i.p.

Loved her clear voice.
    Sad to learn of this. RIP Irene Cara.

I always felt she should've had more success. She had the looks and voice as well as being an accomplished actress. That's certainly taken the shine off my weekend, very sad news. RIP beautiful lady.

Heartbreaking news. Too young and so talented. Sing with the heavenly choir dearest Irene.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Damn, I'm feeling this sad news down in my heart. Gone too soon. Rest in peace, Irene.

Sansradio, thanks for sharing that memory. I don't doubt that she was so sweet and kind to you and your Mom. She seemed like a sweetheart.

I don't know why I seem to remember that she had some sort of health issue a few years back? I don't see anything about that online, so I may likely be misremembering.
    I also remember reports of a health scare, but can’t recall any details.

And Carlo, my mom, who was generally unmoved by pop music of the day, fangirled and gushed like a gooey-eyed pre-teen when we met her. I was so embarrassed back then, but it’s funny and heartwarming now with the passage of time.
    Last edited by sansradio; 11-26-2022 at 04:14 PM.

Nice to see so much notice given to Irene - and, yes, I do remember 'Sparkle' in advance of 'Flashdance'. You got it, girl!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    I also remember reports of a health scare, but can’t recall any details.

And Carlo, my mom, who was generally unmoved by pop music of the day, fangirled and gushed like a gooey-eyed pre-teen when we met her. I was so embarrassed back then, but it’s funny and heartwarming now with the passage of time.
    I'm with you guys! We didn't imagine her health issues, back inaday. Folks take down unfavorable content all the time, i.e. biz mgr., publicist, etc. So I'm not surprised there's no mention of it online. I also remember Irene was also in an act with honey inthe title. Unfortunately, while the singles were servicable...their career never really charted high. And clearly never reached her [[Fame" & [[Flashdance solo superstardom.

Oh and Mama NativeNY was an Irene too. So she had hooked from day one!!!

I stand corrected: Irene's group was called [[Hot Caramel." The album - in the 2000s - was called[[ Irene Cara Presents Hot Caramel" when it dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    I stand corrected: Irene's group was called [[Hot Caramel." The album - in the 2000s - was called[[ Irene Cara Presents Hot Caramel" when it dropped.
    I was so excited when I bought 'Hot Caramel'. I thought my socks would go up and down. Well, the socks went neither north nor south. I have no doubt all the ladies were very talented in their own right, but the material was just so-so, at best. I'll have to find that CD and give it another try. Anyone else own it?

"Irene Cara's cause of death has been revealed. The actress died of arteriosclerotic and hypertensive cardiovascular disease, according to her external examination report, which ET obtained.

In addition to arteriosclerotic, which is the buildup of substances in and on the artery walls, and hypertensive cardiovascular disease, which refers to heart problems that occur due to high blood pressure, the report lists diabetes mellitus as a contributory condition. Cara's manner of death was natural, according to the report."

https://www.etonline.com/irene-caras...evealed-198496

Rest in peace, Irene Cara.
    Name:  cara.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  98.8 KB