[REMOVE ADS]

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    FAB!!! Thanks

Looks great..thanks Keith,
    What goes up Four Tops...who'd have thought. Just booked tickets to see Lamont Dozier in June next year. If he's in the bar I'll ask him about it..lol .
    Can't wait.

THANK YOU, Keith, for sharing this ahead of release and for all of it!

I'm going to assume that the absence of any Supremes tracks [[with Flo or with Cindy) means that any of those remaining tracks have been earmarked for future release on the "Sing Holland-Dozier-Holland: Expanded Edition" and a possible "Reflections: Expanded Edition" sets coming in 2018.

It's also interesting to see the lack of Tempts, Vandellas, and Four Tops tracks in this collection. One has to assume that their portions of the vault have already been combed through for previous sets over the years that included "previously unreleased" material.

Are the Chris Clark and The Vancouvers tracks recorded live somewhere? I thought they toured/appeared together in those days.

Looking forward to hearing all of this stuff!

I doubt that there would be any unreleased Supremes tracks from '67 as to keep them in copyright they would have to be released by 31st Dec 2017! In fact I think that we have been told often enough that there is nothing left

Should be pretty good given the contents. Never knew the company had plans for Rick Witte though I enjoyed the songs he wrote. We now have the cream of the 17 tracks The Underdogs recorded."Baby My Love Is Showing" will finally surface,so we'll see if it's the hit Morris Broadnax said it was. It was only supposed to be one more new Shorty Long track mixed in Mono,but there's two. I just want to be satisfied in the end. Thanks Keith,let's hear what you guys discovered!.
    Last edited by Quinn; 12-23-2017 at 02:19 AM.

Is “Since I Don’t Have You” the same song by the Skyliners, or is it an original with the same title?

Thanks for all the wonderful music!

While I value Motown releasing so many previously unreleased tracks, I guess I am perplexed that the vast majority are by male artists. Except for Chris Clark, there are only a scattering of female artists’ tracks. Sad. The good news is that I will save a lot of money on downloads. :-) Thanks anyway.

Yes Hallelujah. A Four Tops songs on here. Plus an alternate vocal of to see the sun again by Chuck Jackson.

Been waiting for Jimmy Ruffin's I feel like I'm falling in love again. Looking great. An alternate vocal of if you can want by The Miracles wow. I'm assuming some of these Marvin Gaye songs are the New York Mickey Gentile produced songs. Those may not sound too hot. But still nice to have released.

Thank you so much for the tracklist Keith! It looks very interesting, Chris Clark, Four Tops, Temptations, Ivy Jo, Brenda, Vandellas, Valerie Simpson and and and... and the three tracks by GKATP are on the list. I'm very happy and I think when there are unreleased Supremes' tracks they will find their way to the expanded editions of "...sing HDH" and "Reflections". Kind regards

Interested to see that there are more versions of the Marvin Gaye standards previously on 1965 unreleased, and released in different variants on the colllection boxset, romantically yours and vulnerable. Looking forwards to these 👍

Quote Originally Posted by simon.millar View Post
    Interested to see that there are more versions of the Marvin Gaye standards previously on 1965 unreleased, and released in different variants on the colllection boxset, romantically yours and vulnerable. Looking forwards to these 👍
    As far as "Vulnerable" is concerned, there is much more gold in them there hills. If Universal was to assemble every version of those tunes they could literally make a box set. Marvin rarely erased anything,so many variations exist from 1967 to completion in 1977. People tend to think it's only the first and last, that album truly was a work in progress. Maybe Keith and Harry can make that a very near future project. Brought to fruition we easily have four discs worth of material.Just an F.Y.I.

Just wondering whether any release dates are available yet ? And where the available download sources may be, if anybody knows ? Many thanks in advance

Quinn; that’s certainly great to know, and of course I would love such a boxset!

First post here guys, Thanks for the track list Keith, I'm really looking forward to the 3 GK&TP's tracks, can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    I doubt that there would be any unreleased Supremes tracks from '67 as to keep them in copyright they would have to be released by 31st Dec 2017! In fact I think that we have been told often enough that there is nothing left
    Yet previously undiscovered tracks surfaced on unreleased 66, supposedly after fans circulated information that there wasn't anything left. [[Has there ever been official confirmation of this?) And we know there are yet to be released Disney tracks from 67. And it doesn't seem likely that everything recorded prior to 1967 [[at this point) at Motown by anyone has seen the light of day. There's only so much that can be put into any one collection, right? Not to mention what happens with the clearance issues for certain tracks. My point: never say never when the Motown vaults are concerned.

Maybe it's a good thing the remaining Disney songs were not included. Maybe they are planning a separate release at some point?

Which all adds to my confusion about the purpose of the annual Motown Unreleased sets since we know that there are tracks in the vault which haven't yet featured. As regards Supremes Disney, perhaps clearance was needed from Disney for each track but couldn't be obtained then or now. Hardly the best versions of Disney songs I think. Hard to imagine that those vaults are dry now before 1968.

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    Maybe it's a good thing the remaining Disney songs were not included. Maybe they are planning a separate release at some point?
    I figure depending on the recording dates, the songs will either make it onto HDH expanded or Reflections expanded. It's possible a future Supremes Disney set could be released, I'm just not sure how much of a market is there for it at this point when even hard core fans are probably split on our desire for it. [[I'd buy it if just to get the official release of the as yet unreleased tracks, and if any alternates are included.)

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Which all adds to my confusion about the purpose of the annual Motown Unreleased sets since we know that there are tracks in the vault which haven't yet featured. As regards Supremes Disney, perhaps clearance was needed from Disney for each track but couldn't be obtained then or now. Hardly the best versions of Disney songs I think. Hard to imagine that those vaults are dry now before 1968.
    I'm confused myself, but I find it unlikely that the pre-1968 Motown tracks have all seen the light of day.

I remember that Motown management spoke very highly of The Underdogs when they signed with Motown, so I find it very strange that a whole album's-worth of material was recorded, yet they didn't persevere with more than one single.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I remember that Motown management spoke very highly of The Underdogs when they signed with Motown, so I find it very strange that a whole album's-worth of material was recorded, yet they didn't persevere with more than one single.
    Michael Morgan, the drummer for The Underdogs stayed at Motown recording with The Messengers starting in 1968. I'm not sure of the whole story of the former's breakup though.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    The Underdogs were sleepers,a band with much potential,but many factors kept them at the starting gate. In my opinion the major problem was Berry Gordy's refusal to expand on the Motown Sound.Eddie Holland was one of the first producers at his company to make him aware this and it's partly why HDH left. Berry Gordy relied on his present staff to create for artists that would've taken Motown into the future. Not that the tunes weren't great, but they follow the same formula for the genre to be different at the root. Had he hired the best candidate producing underground rock in Detroit to handle the band there's no telling. He needed a guy whose specialty was their kind of music. The Mynah Birds probably would've got that assignment had Rick James not had his AWOL situation. Marketing was not setup great for the company's white counterparts either. Rare Earth was the biggest thing going at Motown in that area and they weren't super successful. Imagine if HDH had given "We've Got A Way Out Love" to them and made it work somehow. You can clearly tell it was inspired by The Beach Boys and their master stroke "Pet Sounds". They were trying to show B.G. where music was headed but lost patience and made their exit. " Window Shopping" by The Messengers was released in the wrong season much to R. Dean Taylor's chagrin. This makes for a great discussion like Chris Clark.

I am probably totally misinformed but I thought these ‘67 tracks had to be released before the last day of 2017.

That is right! Hopefully this coming Friday apparently 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    The Underdogs were sleepers,a band with much potential,but many factors kept them at the starting gate. In my opinion the major problem was Berry Gordy's refusal to expand on the Motown Sound.Eddie Holland was one of the first producers at his company to make him aware this and it's partly why HDH left. Berry Gordy relied on his present staff to create for artists that would've taken Motown into the future. Not that the tunes weren't great, but they follow the same formula for the genre to be different at the root. Had he hired the best candidate producing underground rock in Detroit to handle the band there's no telling. He needed a guy whose specialty was their kind of music. The Mynah Birds probably would've got that assignment had Rick James not had his AWOL situation. Marketing was not setup great for the company's white counterparts either. Rare Earth was the biggest thing going at Motown in that area and they weren't super successful. Imagine if HDH had given "We've Got A Way Out Love" to them and made it work somehow. You can clearly tell it was inspired by The Beach Boys and their master stroke "Pet Sounds". They were trying to show B.G. where music was headed but lost patience and made their exit. " Window Shopping" by The Messengers was released in the wrong season much to R. Dean Taylor's chagrin. This makes for a great discussion like Chris Clark.
    Sounds reasonable to me. The Rustix were another group deserving of success.

When are these songs going to start popping up on YouTube? Desperately want to hear them.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    What goes up Four Tops...who'd have thought. Just booked tickets to see Lamont Dozier in June next year. If he's in the bar I'll ask him about it..lol .
    Can't wait.
    Great news to see the Tops pop up on this set.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourtopsbiggestfan View Post
    When are these songs going to start popping up on YouTube? Desperately want to hear them.
    BUY some!!!

Quote Originally Posted by soulhawks45s View Post
    That is right! Hopefully this coming Friday apparently ��
    Unreleased 1967 appeared on I-Tunes [[US) for about 20 minutes this afternoon before disappearing!

Quote Originally Posted by booty View Post
    Unreleased 1967 appeared on I-Tunes [[US) for about 20 minutes this afternoon before disappearing!
    Consider it "released" then ... ? [Joking]

I believe it will show up at midnight tonight [[EST) if I remember correctly from past years.

Yep, up on iTunes [[UK) now...

👍

Played them, some nice "Motown" tracks but as ever the Marvin Gaye numbers leave me cold....stick to Nat King Cole/Sinatra for these songs.
    The Temptations track sounds wonderful, and some nice Chris Clark, Spinners, Gladys too.
    £27 on amazon.
    Jr Walker track "nothing for nothing" sounds like Stevie's "I'm more than happy"..is it the same backing track?
    Last edited by snakepit; 12-28-2017 at 09:29 PM.

I changed the region on my Itunes account to access the collection and listened the first bundle of samples.I wanted to leave something to my imagination so I didn't play them all.I like what I've heard so far.Interesting that the U.K. release date is December 15th.

Keith,
    Once again, thank you for the collection.

A few vocals were [[ahem) surprising:

Cd 2- Track 25 Shorty Long?

CD 3- Track 12 Nothing For Nothing - Jr. Walker & the All Stars[[???); who is the vocalist? The sound & style is so unusual for a JW&tAS track.

CD3 -Track 8 Ricky Matthews is already developing his Rick James-like vocal style here

CD 3- Track 16 Is that the Four Tops with the Andantes on background vocals?

Cd 4- Track 4 The solo 'hnnh' [[2:02; 2:35; 2:44; 2:51) sounds very Levi Stubbs like.

It's interesting that between tracks 4 & 10 on CD 4 , the name change takes effect on paper for the Vandellas/Martha Reeves & the Vandellas.

PHEW! The nick of time, as ever.

But I don't have time for the q's now, I have to get Motown Girls 3 finalised for design & mastering by Jan 2. I promise to answer at least some of them, when I can.

On Spotify now

Just downloading it set from Qobuz. CD quality for £28.50

Best download price as far as I can see is £19.99 at Google Play.

Hi there, What is the bit rate coming out at ? Many thanks !

Just downloading it set from Qobuz. CD quality for £28.50
    Hi there, What is the bit rate coming out as ? Many thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by soulhawks45s View Post
    Hi there, What is the bit rate coming out as ? Many thanks !
    It is 1159kbps, but you get the option to download in many different formats including WAV.

Yes. They're on YouTube now. Just a taste until I can purchase them one CD.

It is 1159kbps, but you get the option to download in many different formats including WAV.
    That's great ! Thanks for the info. Shall be purchasing as WAV downloads 😊

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Can't wait.
    Prefer Levi's lead to Lamont's I have to say

Have bought the album today in Germany at 3 AM. It was much better than last year when the tracks were available 14 days later here. Very happy and satisfied and looking forward to the "Motown Girls 3".

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    But I don't have time for the q's now, I have to get Motown Girls 3 finalised for design & mastering by Jan 2. I promise to answer at least some of them, when I can.
    Don't let us interrupt you, Keith! Just know that we appreciate all the work you put into these releases. Let us know when you can come up to get a breath. Happy New Year!

First big fav of mine, surprisingly, is Billy Eckstine “Walk Down That Road”

JB

...and quite surprised - but pleased - with the early incarnations of two songs who would eventually find their way on Stevie Wonder’s FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE lp eleven good months after the year 1967 ended!

I do share the same questions as others here. The main one being “Nothing For Nothing” by JW&TAS !!!???? Nah! There must be an explanation...

A great collection indeed!