[REMOVE ADS]

Four Classic Motown Album Vinyl Reissues by Elemental for Black Friday RSD

Elemental Music is reissuing classic Motown albums on vinyl for Black Friday Record Store Day: Where Did Our Love Go by The Supremes, Second Album by The Four Tops, Dance Party by Martha & the Vandellas, and Going To A Go Go by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles.

https://www.elemental-music.com/the-...love-go-rsdbf/

https://www.elemental-music.com/mart...r-vinyl-rsdbf/

https://www.elemental-music.com/the-...d-album-rsdbf/

https://www.elemental-music.com/smok...a-go-go-rsdbf/
    Last edited by carlo; 09-18-2022 at 12:34 PM.

Thanks for sharing these, Carlo! I think it's curious that WDOLG, SA, and GTAGG all have their correct label logos on the cover for the period they were released, but "Dance Party" doesn't have a Gordy logo, but instead a Motown logo! I wonder why that decision [[or mistake) to not use the Gordy logo on the cover [or presumably the record labels] was made? To me, this kind of defeats the purpose of re-releasing these albums on vinyl--they're altering the history a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    Thanks for sharing these, Carlo! I think it's curious that WDOLG, SA, and GTAGG all have their correct label logos on the cover for the period they were released, but "Dance Party" doesn't have a Gordy logo, but instead a Motown logo! I wonder why that decision [[or mistake) to not use the Gordy logo on the cover [or presumably the record labels] was made? To me, this kind of defeats the purpose of re-releasing these albums on vinyl--they're altering the history a bit.
    I don't recall this title being amongst the mid-1980s vinyl reissues, and I know this album had a different cover in the UK, but the only thing I can think of is perhaps the only cover they had available to duplicate was a "Motown" reissue, vs. one which used the original Gordy label. All the 80s vinyl reissues used the Motown label in spite of how they were released originally, as far as I know.

WOW! Thanks for posting this. Any idea on the prices? The links don't have any indication.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    I notice on the site that on most of the Tempts' reissues [vinyl or cd], as well as Edwin Starr's WAR AND PEACE, the Gordy imprint is replaced by Motown, so maybe it has something to do with using the family name Gordy?

That said, on the same site, the Tempts' MASTERPIECE and the Undisputed Truth's FACE TO FACE WITH THE TRUTH reissues do have the Gordy imprint so who knows?

I was thinking of getting these, but 140 gr. ? Most re-releases these days are a bit heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    I was thinking of getting these, but 140 gr. ? Most re-releases these days are a bit heavier.
    I've bought a lot of 180g "new vinyl" that just downright sucks. I don't think the weight matters as much as the quality of the pressing equipment. I've had many 180g discs that I've sent back because the needle simply can't stay in the groove at any tone arm weight and anti-skid setting. There is nothing like whipping out a 1965 era pressing on the old labels. that was before they all moved to "flex" discs but after they got rid of all the bake-lite materials. I would say the sweetest spot for pure vinyl quality where you could pick up about any disc and get outstanding play quality was about 1959-1968.

I totally agree with you on that, thanxal.

I believe you guys are from the USA [[?) but I am quite satisfied with 99% of the new vinyl I get here in Holland. I just ordered these 4 titles from my record shop anyway

I believe you guys are from the USA [[?) but I am quite satisfied with 99% of the new vinyl I get here in Holland. I just ordered these 4 titles from my record shop anyway
    Yes and it very well could be. Vinyl production still tends to be regional so you could be getting much better quality in the Netherlands/EU than we get in the US. Vinyl pressing plants lived on much longer there after the agreement by the major labels to end-of-life it. I recall getting vinyl in Europe well into the late 90s. In the US, most of the stamping plants had been moth-balled or destroyed by the late 90s.

I just can't see a reason to keep buying these same lps. I have forgotten how many times I have purchased Marvin's What's Going On. It's one of my all time fav lps but I really only need one copy. The first expanded CD with the original concept and the released version is enough for me

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    I just can't see a reason to keep buying these same lps. I have forgotten how many times I have purchased Marvin's What's Going On. It's one of my all time fav lps but I really only need one copy. The first expanded CD with the original concept and the released version is enough for me
    I would agree. I have all of these, except for the Four Tops' release. At this point, if I even bought these, I most likely wouldn't play them and they would remain sealed, just taking up space.

But looking at the glass half-full, obviously those in control think these are going to sell. If they do, maybe they will get around to releasing some of the unreleased material still in the vault.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    Oh please, please don’t write anything logical and sane like this! Whatever will I do with all my money ????

As annoying as it can be for the same albums to be getting reissued time after time [I get frustrated sometimes too...ABBA Gold just got it's 10 millionth reissue last week], I like to hope that it means that newer generations of fans are discovering and buying the music.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Oh please, please don’t write anything logical and sane like this! Whatever will I do with all my money ????
    HaHa! You're still a hoot, Al!

Bump! These titles are being released tomorrow at your local record store!

I noticed these titles are not part of the BF RSD line-up here in Holland anymore and my record dealer told me he is unsure about the release today.

The Elemental website announces also:
    https://www.elemental-music.com/temp...s-180gr-vinyl/

https://www.elemental-music.com/quin...-180gr-vilnyl/
    Last edited by jack020; 11-25-2022 at 06:15 AM.

Sorry to read that you won't be getting these releases in Holland, Jack. Some of my local stores have confirmed that they received stock and they will be on sale today. Still debating if I want to jump on getting these, as I already have vintage vinyl copies of these albums, including two copies of Where Did Our Love Go [the original stereo copy I have was a sealed copy]. I have a hard time justifying paying $40 CAD for yet another copy, although it is quite nice to see any new reissues on the retail shelves, these days.

This year's Black Friday RSD also included the reissue of Gladys Knight and the Pips' self-titled 1965 Maxx album. It was pressed on colored vinyl [I assume green to match the color of the album cover] and is in stereo. For some reason, it seems that they removed the original cover photo and replaced it with an early photo from the Motown era.

Can't get over the terrible mess Elemental made of the David Ruffin "My Whole World Ended" CD release.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    This year's Black Friday RSD also included the reissue of Gladys Knight and the Pips' self-titled 1965 Maxx album. It was pressed on colored vinyl [I assume green to match the color of the album cover] and is in stereo. For some reason, it seems that they removed the original cover photo and replaced it with an early photo from the Motown era.
    How odd! I had seen this release and didn't realize it was their LP from 1965, due to the different cover. Thanks for clarifying that, Reese!

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Can't get over the terrible mess Elemental made of the David Ruffin "My Whole World Ended" CD release.
    I'm curious as to what they messed up?

Initially, when I spotted the new Record Store Day Motown vinyl record releases, I was going to pick up the Smokey Robinson & The Miracles set, but finally opted for the Martha & The Vandellas "Dance Party" title, as it is their only vinyl title I don't have a copy of. I did obtain a later Pickwick version but it does not have all the original songs or cover art. YES, I was disappointed it did NOT feature the original Gordy "It's What's In The Grooves That Counts" purple label, but the mastering is fantastic! What a surprise to discover when I got home that the back jacket also includes the full set of studio musicians, that the original issue does not. The U.S. price is set at $29.99, and $34.99 Canadian at my local outlet. Pricey yes, but eBay prices for an original copy are outrageous for rather beat up copies!Name:  DSC07606.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  94.1 KBName:  DSC07610.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  88.5 KB

I noticed for the above 4 titles:
    Licensed for USA and Canada.

So only possible to get after paying hefty shipping and import taxes

Thanks for sharing your review, Mark! I ended up caving and bought the Where Did Our Love Go reissue, which arrived today and I gave it a spin. I agree that the sound is great, and the vinyl pressing is nice and quiet. No major noise and extremely little to no sibilance. The artwork has been reproduced nicely...quite clear and not overly dark/contrasted. It comes in a nice audiophile plastic-lined inner sleeve [not the cheap paper one that makes a mess]. It has a nice large hype sticker on the front, and as Mark mentioned, I also noticed the addition of musician credits to the original liner notes on the back of the sleeve [nice!]. I still need to compare it to my original stereo vinyl and the 2004 stereo tracks on the 40th anniversary edition. I am curious as to the source they used for this vinyl. It does sound a tad digital, but has quite good dynamics. It doesn't sound like a vinyl that was sourced from a lossy mp3, like some tend to do these days. I am happy that I bought it. Now I'm tempted to get the other three titles.

Name:  20221129_130326.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  107.2 KB
    Last edited by carlo; 11-29-2022 at 03:41 PM.

I've been doing some comparisons between the versions of WDOLG I mentioned above, along with the 2001 CD twofer. They all sound very close to one another, except for the original stereo vinyl pressing, which seems to be louder, has a bit more pronounced bass, and significant sibilance on the S's [this is a mint copy that was previously sealed, when I bought it a couple of years ago]. Therefore I would say that this reissue is a much better quality vinyl pressing, compared to the original stereo vinyl that I have. This vinyl reissue does sound a bit warmer, when comparing it to the 2001 and 2004 CD reissues, and I would argue it has comparable dynamics to the stereo tracks on those CD's.

Here is a close-up shot of the sticker on the shrink wrap, for WDOLG...

Name:  20221129_163230.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  98.9 KB

I noticed for the above 4 titles:
    Licensed for USA and Canada.

So only possible to get after paying hefty shipping and import taxes
    Hey Jack,
    I would recommend keeping your eyes open and checking the various online retailers in your region. It seems that Fontana North will be distributing these titles to the EU, as I've seen a couple of titles pop up thus far, at the stores below. I'm sure other stores will be listing them, in the days to come.

Vandellas' Dance Party available from imusic.co in Denmark:

https://imusic.co/music/843539550328...dance-party-lp

Four Tops' Second album at grooves-inc in Germany:

https://www.grooves-inc.com/four-top...100737047.html

Thanks for the info Carlo, will be waiting patiently . At least my copy ofTemptations – All Directions [[180Gr. vinyl) out November 25, 2022.Limited Edition is on its way from Amazon ES.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I received this release today. They did end up using the original cover photo and the text is similar, although slightly smaller than that on the original. Also, the Maxx logo is gone as the reissue is on the Reel label.

The back cover of the original album has telegrams from various DJs congratulating the group. For the reissue, the telegrams are not included. Instead, they have an early Motown-era photo and liner notes with a brief group history.

Thanks for the info on the GK&TP release, Reese. How does it sound? I may need to get this one too!

I just got the Martha and the Vandellas Dance Party reissue last night. I was inspired by Mark's review above. I also didn't realize that the original vinyl pressing that I own of this album is the mono version, so I figured owning a new copy of the stereo version on vinyl would be a nice addition. It sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Thanks for the info on the GK&TP release, Reese. How does it sound? I may need to get this one too!

I just got the Martha and the Vandellas Dance Party reissue last night. I was inspired by Mark's review above. I also didn't realize that the original vinyl pressing that I own of this album is the mono version, so I figured owning a new copy of the stereo version on vinyl would be a nice addition. It sounds great!
    I have to confess: I buy many of these reissues but they stay sealed.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I'm curious as to what they messed up?
    There's a bit of a discussion on a previous thread about Elemental's mastering which renders the David Ruffin album unlistenable. There's so much distortion - I wonder if they even heard the final product before they released it. Think of "I Cross My Heart" by Shorty Long and the distortion there - well it's much worse on the Elemental version oof the "My Whole World Ended" album and from memory all tracks are affected. I haven't listened to it since I played it the first time when I bought it. The packaging is lovely though.

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...ffin+elemental

I'm having a hard time keeping up with all of Elemental's latest vinyl reissues. Here are some that I've seen...

The Supremes - Sing Motown [EU cover, stereo]
    The Supremes - 'A Go-Go [mono]
    Diana Ross - Surrender
    Temptin' Temptations [stereo]
    Four Tops - Reach Out [stereo?]
    Martha & the Vandellas - Watchout! [Stereo]

My local record store has the last two I listed above, but they seem to be missing from Elemental's website.
    Last edited by carlo; 04-14-2023 at 06:40 PM.

I bought the vinyl reissue of Watchout at my local record shop today and after comparing it with my original pressing, I was disappointed to discover that this reissue is distorted at times. You can hear the distortion in Martha's vocals. It seems they made the master 'louder' for this pressing, resulting in the distortion. It's unfortunate since this didn't seem to be the case with their Where Did Our Love Go vinyl reissue. They did do a nice job with reproducing the front and back album art though. I think that will be it for me, in regards to buying reissues of albums on vinyl. I've been disappointed far too many times. Always safer to stick to the original pressings...

https://www.amazon.es/s?k=elemental+...ref=nb_sb_noss

But I believe this has been released already a few years ago.