[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Final Ed Sullivan Medley

Always thought it strange that the final medley performed on Ed Sullivan didn't include all of their number #1 hits.

You've got:

Baby Love
    Come See About Me
    I Hear a Symphony
    STOP!
    You Can't Hurry Love
    You Keep Me Hangin' On
    The Happening
    Love Child

How hard would it have been to include 3 more?

Where Did Our Love Go
    Back In My Arms Again
    Love is Here

As it was, they included 2 non-#1's:

My World
    Reflections

It just seems like a missed opportunity.

If we’re going that far why don’t we just have the girls to include every single ever released in the medley. You’re being too nitpicking. I enjoyed it because it wasn’t the same medley they were doing at the time. They can’t please everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Always thought it strange that the final medley performed on Ed Sullivan didn't include all of their number #1 hits.

You've got:

Baby Love
    Come See About Me
    I Hear a Symphony
    STOP!
    You Can't Hurry Love
    You Keep Me Hangin' On
    The Happening
    Love Child

Where Did Our Love Go
    Back In My Arms Again
    Love is Here

My World
    Reflections

I would guess that Where Did Our Love Go and Love is Here do not easily lend themselves to live performances.

Interesting - but I agree that this is analyzing pretty intensely.

it might be that rhythmically those two are just too different from the others? I would also put My World in there but that had already been medley-fied lol. and i heard it was a fav of Diana's

Someone also once asked why some key milestone songs were NOT kept in the show much. WDOLG is one and frankly YCHL too. they were the biggest sellers during the Flo era and neither had all that long of run in the live set list. One fan speculated it could be partially personal preferences. the girls undoubtedly had fav songs to sing, ones they just enjoyed more. There's also the pacing of the show. with YCHL, it seems that they ended up swapping it with The Happening, even down to the tambourines.

You've got:

Baby Love
    Come See About Me
    I Hear a Symphony
    STOP!
    You Can't Hurry Love
    You Keep Me Hangin' On
    The Happening
    Love Child

Where Did Our Love Go
    Back In My Arms Again
    Love is Here

My World
    Reflections

I enjoyed that particular medley because it was a little different to the usual rather tedious one. I thought DMC went out on a high with this performance.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    If we’re going that far why don’t we just have the girls to include every single ever released in the medley. You’re being too nitpicking. I enjoyed it because it wasn’t the same medley they were doing at the time. They can’t please everyone.
    Calm down.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I enjoyed that particular medley because it was a little different to the usual rather tedious one. I thought DMC went out on a high with this performance.
    I agree. I love how Mary and Cindy come in on "You Can't Hurry Love". It's also fun to watch them whip through all those hits in less than the amount of time of one full version.

As I mentioned in my previous post, it just seemed like a missed opportunity to not include all the #1 hits. They were in fact the Number One Girl Group and Number One American Recording Group at the time; as this was their last televised performance, it would have wrapped everything up in a nice little bow.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I would guess that Where Did Our Love Go and Love is Here do not easily lend themselves to live performances.

Interesting - but I agree that this is analyzing pretty intensely.
    Like every little sequin on the TCB swirl gowns hasn't been analyzed 10,000 times? And let's not talk about every angle of Motown 25 and RTL. Thought it would be a fun topic to discuss.

Clearly not.

My apologies if this thread has been offensive to some.

We've had threads about Barbara Martin's podiatrist and that didn't seem to garner as many critiques.

We've had threads about Barbara Martin's podiatrist and that didn't seem to garner as many critiques.
    i'm always happy to dive into the minutia with the girls so feel free to make any posts you like Miss Mary lol

my thoughts is that since this was the FINAL tv performance of DRATS they might have received more airtime. I think they could have done another song or two maybe. Maybe Impossible Dream and I Hear A Symphony plus a medley of hits and Someday. Make a bit more of the moment

How dare you think your thread is as important as Barbara's previous foot care! That mattered to some of us!!

I think everyone offers valid points for the exclusion of some songs, but honestly I feel like ditching "Where Did Our Love Go" after 1965 and then not even including it in the final television appearance nor in the Farewell set was so disrespectful to the song that put the group on the map. I don't care if they each hated the shit out of that song. You don't stop singing it. Whether it was the girls' decision or TPTB's decision, it was dumb. Would the girls have eventually scored with all the same songs they did if they hadn't recorded and released "Where"? Maybe. But it could also be argued they never would've gotten a second chance at "Baby Love" if "Where" hadn't managed to find itself a major hit, and if that's the case, HDH may not have gotten another chance. Horrible move ditching "Where".

there was clearly little to no sentimentality when it came to the Supremes. unless it could be played up in a business move. Like the girls singing Impossible Dream. while a nice song and one they did well, they really were just pandering to sentiment. The idea of giving credit just wasn't a concern. they were doing a job and that's it

it's the fans that are sentimental

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I think everyone offers valid points for the exclusion of some songs, but honestly I feel like ditching "Where Did Our Love Go" after 1965 and then not even including it in the final television appearance nor in the Farewell set was so disrespectful to the song that put the group on the map. I don't care if they each hated the shit out of that song. You don't stop singing it. Whether it was the girls' decision or TPTB's decision, it was dumb. Would the girls have eventually scored with all the same songs they did if they hadn't recorded and released "Where"? Maybe. But it could also be argued they never would've gotten a second chance at "Baby Love" if "Where" hadn't managed to find itself a major hit, and if that's the case, HDH may not have gotten another chance. Horrible move ditching "Where".
    Exactly, RanRan. WDOLG was the spark that exploded the Big Bang for the Supremes, Motown and HDH. HDH once said that the hits that followed were essentially "children of WDOLG", at least for a while. Love it or hate it [[and I LOVE it), that record had everything essential for a Pop #1 hit.

And I guess you didn’t my sarcasm lol.
    Calm down.

In retrospect, what would have been a real ear, eye and memory catcher is this: as Diana moves further in the foreground, the final notes of Someday diminish to a whisper and a new note sounds. The cameras focus on Mary and Cindy who simply sing in unison 'Come with me .. up the ladder to the roof', with hands raised aloft to heaven. They exit, one stage right, one stage left, leaving Diana who extends her hands forward to the audience and intones 'Reach out and touch..make this world a better place if you can.' Mary and Cindy re-enter, stand to Diana's left and right. She joins them arm in arm and together they take their final bow.
    Now that would have been show business and would have piqued interest in the new song each would release as Diana Ross, solo star and the [new] Supremes.

Perhaps I should have posted the above in the Ed Sullivan performance of SWBT, but I thought the little mini medley of upcoming singles could have worked quite effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    In retrospect, what would have been a real ear, eye and memory catcher is this: as Diana moves further in the foreground, the final notes of Someday diminish to a whisper and a new note sounds. The cameras focus on Mary and Cindy who simply sing in unison 'Come with me .. up the ladder to the roof', with hands raised aloft to heaven. They exit, one stage right, one stage left, leaving Diana who extends her hands forward to the audience and intones 'Reach out and touch..make this world a better place if you can.' Mary and Cindy re-enter, stand to Diana's left and right. She joins them arm in arm and together they take their final bow.
    Now that would have been show business and would have piqued interest in the new song each would release as Diana Ross, solo star and the [new] Supremes.
    That would have been a great idea but I think realistically the problem was neither of those songs had been recorded yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    there was clearly little to no sentimentality when it came to the Supremes. unless it could be played up in a business move. Like the girls singing Impossible Dream. while a nice song and one they did well, they really were just pandering to sentiment. The idea of giving credit just wasn't a concern. they were doing a job and that's it

'it's the fans that are sentimental' - PERFECT!!! And, I must add, that many of the 'fans' that toot [[or tweet, twit, twaxxx, or whatever ...) were 20+ years away from being born when these events took place.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    That would have been a great idea but I think realistically the problem was neither of those songs had been recorded yet.
    Not to mention that while the afore-mentioned psychodrama of a performance is well-meaning, it's also quite absurd, illogical and exhausting.

Exactly. Idiotic business model to not cater to what the fans want. No fans, no Supremes. "Where Did Our Love Go" has endured as one of the Supremes' most played and remembered songs. Still very popular today. The only folks who remember the Supremes even sang "The Impossible Dream" probably numbers in the thousands vs how many folks know "Where Did Our Love Go". The intro alone is iconic. Motown was brain dead half the time when dealing with the Supremes. It's a wonder the group is remembered at all with the many ways Motown bungled the legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Exactly, RanRan. WDOLG was the spark that exploded the Big Bang for the Supremes, Motown and HDH. HDH once said that the hits that followed were essentially "children of WDOLG", at least for a while. Love it or hate it [[and I LOVE it), that record had everything essential for a Pop #1 hit.
    It's really a perfect song, as far as I'm concerned. I've always wanted to hear Flo brought up in the mix, just to experience what that might have been like. But honestly, I don't need it. Diana's plaintive lead, Mary's haunting voice, the Funks' laidback mood, the simple yet heartfelt lyrics. It all came together to make a perfect song. There's nothing I would have done different.

I often find the screen names that people choose quite revealing in all sorts of ways.

That would've been fantastic if either of those songs had been completed at that point. Honestly, it might have been an excellent move to have the new Supremes single and the new Diana Ross single ready by the time of the exit so that a debut like this would be possible. But that's too much creativity to expect from Motown.

I often find the screen names that people choose quite revealing in all sorts of ways.
    LOL I have been known to refer to that trash you're undoubtedly referring to as The Person With the Ironic Screenname, so your comment definitely rings true for at least one anonymous idiot. We all come to the table with ideas and views- almost all of them with the benefit of hindsight- that might differ from one another but the disrespect levels for some screennames is out of this world. After everything the entire world went through in the last year, some people still haven't gotten a clue. I'll stop right here. I feel myself getting ready to cross a line.

Just keep bringing us your great thoughts Luckyluckyme. Most of us respect them.

Another idea I thought of that would have been nice, but no way in hell would Motown had allowed it, would be if in between the songs Diana could acknowledge Flo and thank her for being with them in the early years of their success. Again in an alternate universe.

By this point the group, especially Diana and Mary, were more than ready to go their separate ways. I think Mary was so over it and just wanted to charge right into the new lineup whereas from what I've gathered Diana was feeling a bit more emotional about it.

Exactly. Idiotic business model to not cater to what the fans want. No fans, no Supremes. "Where Did Our Love Go" has endured as one of the Supremes' most played and remembered songs. Still very popular today. The only folks who remember the Supremes even sang "The Impossible Dream" probably numbers in the thousands vs how many folks know "Where Did Our Love Go". The intro alone is iconic. Motown was brain dead half the time when dealing with the Supremes. It's a wonder the group is remembered at all with the many ways Motown bungled the legacy.
    I couldn't agree more. I feel like after the Vegas success in '66 they should have moved on and changed direction with their live shows. They proved their point, they had crossover appeal but now it was time to evolve. And they didn't. Instead they latched onto the supper club routine for years and years and ultimately hurt their legacy in the long run. Flo was onto something when she started feeling they were becoming too fake.

brilliant!

You've got:

Baby Love
    Come See About Me
    I Hear a Symphony
    STOP!
    You Can't Hurry Love
    You Keep Me Hangin' On
    The Happening
    Love Child

Where Did Our Love Go
    Back In My Arms Again
    Love is Here

My World
    Reflections

I loved it and still do. I don’t think we did our love go would fit as the rhythm of the song moves slower than the medley which is why I believe it was removed so fast - it didn’t work with their pacing. I love that they resurrect it you can’t hurry love because it’s a favorite of mine and it didn’t really work live as well as you would think. It couldn’t be sped up and moved to slow as it was recorded. Actually, I was very happy with the medley as it was.

I agree that they could easily have put in 15 seconds of back in my arms again and 15 seconds of love is here. If they had the extra seconds. This was a salute to the 60s special presentation and they were cramming a lot into it and there had to be time for the dialogue.

I agree some people appear to have somewhat overacted here. I love to hear other people's points of view whether they are in line with mine or otherwise.
    this particular performance remains my favourite medleys performance. It's not perfect but it sure as hell zips along very nicely.

The infamous photo in the 25th anniversary booklet of the ladies on a tv set surrounded by balloons doing the "stop !" Hand gestures suggests another medley on a tv show with flo in 1967..I wonder what it consisted of as I can't see them performing the song in full by that time periodName:  stop.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  53.0 KB
    Last edited by nomis; 05-08-2021 at 10:22 PM.

Here it is:

Note how Diana changes mics at about 2:38. Maybe a couple of more songs were included but were edited out? Or more of the songs were included and edited out? Hmmm?

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Here it is:

Note how Diana changes mics at about 2:38. Maybe a couple of more songs were included but were edited out? Or more of the songs were included and edited out? Hmmm?
    I hadn't noticed the "change" in the microphone before, but the more I watch, the more it appears that the head of the microphone appears to have come off. It's the same stem--but just missing the bulbous head. Maybe it fell off during the performance? Like Diana's earring back during the premiere of YCHL in 1966, maybe the mic head is in her hand or on the floor?

Which always confused me because I thought the Sullivan show was always live. Maybe they pre recorded this one.

I don't recall ever seeing this performance before so thanks to Mary B for finding it and starting the thread. For various reasons I have not read every post so if a question has been answered previously, mea culpepper. My random thoughts / questions:

I think it's a great medley and great performance all around, particularly given the time constraints of 60's variety TV;

Did Mary ever feature an Afro on such a high-profile performance before this? I think she looks great;

To me the vocals are apparently pre-recorded. Diana is a good lip-syncher but there's an overall [though miniscule) space between the vocal and her facial movements. At a time when Sullivan clips had been unavailable for some time there was a rumor that he insisted on live performance, but when the shows became available to see, that was obviously not the case. My guess is that Sullivan did not want pre-taped 'drop-in' segments;

I think I make out Mary and Cindy on the backgrounds but they could be enhanced, either by added vocalists and/or electronic augmentation;

The down side for me is that there seems to be no connection between any of the ladies, each seeming to be there for themselves;

Do we know who created and arranged the medley? That person would be the one to answer questions about song selection;

I would guess that the medley was created rather quickly, being for a one-off performance regardless of its auspiciousness, and as such I think it is a fine representation of the career of the Supremes to that point. For me, it's an 'it is what it is' situation and as every hit could not be fitted into the time constraints I don't see the use of this-song-in and that-song-out discussions;

Lastly, though no one ... realistic ... loves the Supremes more than I the beatification of the group is just ... unrealistic ... According to 50+ year legend, Diana was ready to go, Mary was ready for Diana to go, Cindy I don't know, and Jean was more than ready to get on with it. We're discussing a girl-group. As Ralph has said [I paraphrase) "It's the record business; get over it".
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 05-08-2021 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Parenthesization !

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Which always confused me because I thought the Sullivan show was always live. Maybe they pre recorded this one.
    They must have done pre-recorded segments from time to time. This was definitely not live. Even the applause is canned.

This one was tapped as part of a special celebrating the 60’s

This thread and topic is not offensive. And some of the comments are interesting and maybe even informative to the younger fans.

And a Happy Birthday Weekend to you MaryBrewster....I won't tell your age

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    They must have done pre-recorded segments from time to time. This was definitely not live. Even the applause is canned.
    I saw this on tv when it was originally telecast and as far as I know all shows were telecast live back then. I loved the show and wished there was a way to watch it over and over, but home VCR's were still in the future.

These Sullivan clips that we watch on YouTube are mostly from the Sullivan Video Collection put out by his company Sofia. They do seem edited. Variety shows did two performances, a dress rehearsal and a live telecast. The microphone mentioned above is not the top of microphone falling off, but -in my opinion - Diana used a different microphone in the dress rehearsal and live performance and the video edited both together.

In this version of SOMEDAY which was performed after the Medley, I think that Diana was singing live and Cindy and Mary were lip syncing. Better minds here will be able to tell me if it was them singing to Motown record or if they had pre-recorded their own voices for the telecast. Also, I hear Mary at the end of the song say to Diana "sing it". My feeling is that it is picked up on Diana's live microphone. Check it out.

There are fans here that know every minute detail. I am curious to know if it is Mary and Cindy lip syncing to their own voices here or if they are lip syncing to the record. Also, noted that Johnny Bristol is not on the song

Last edited by milven; 05-08-2021 at 04:19 PM.

Pretty sure M and C were lip syncing but as you see Mary’s vocals are picked up in Diana’s mic when she sings Johnny Bristol’s part.
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I saw this on tv when it was originally telecast and as far as I know all shows were telecast live back then. I loved the show and wished there was a way to watch it over and over, but home VCR's were still in the future.

These Sullivan clips that we watch on YouTube are mostly from the Sullivan Video Collection put out by his company Sofia. They do seem edited. Variety shows did two performances, a dress rehearsal and a live telecast. The microphone mentioned above is not the top of michrophone falling off, but -in my opinion - Diana used a different microphone in the dress rehersal and live performance and the video edited both together.

In this version of SOMEDAY which was performed after the Medley, I think that Diana was singing live and Cindy and Mary were lip sincing. Better minds here will be able to tell me if it was them singing to Motown record or if they had pre-recorded their own voices for the telecast. Also, I hear Mary at the end of the song say to Mary "sing it". My feeling is that it is picked up on Diana's live microphone. Check it out.

There are fans here that know every minute detail. I am curious to know if it is Mary and Cindy lip syncing to their own voices here or if they are lip syncing to the record. Also, noted that Johnny Bristol is not on the song

LOL I have been known to refer to that trash you're undoubtedly referring to as The Person With the Ironic Screenname, so your comment definitely rings true for at least one anonymous idiot. We all come to the table with ideas and views- almost all of them with the benefit of hindsight- that might differ from one another but the disrespect levels for some screennames is out of this world. After everything the entire world went through in the last year, some people still haven't gotten a clue. I'll stop right here. I feel myself getting ready to cross a line.

Just keep bringing us your great thoughts Luckyluckyme. Most of us respect them.
    Agree. It’s so redundant not to mention disrespectful to constantly label other fans as haters and such like simply because they have a differing point of view.
    Please keep posting lucky, your a good news person.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 05-09-2021 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Pretty sure M and C were lip syncing but as you see Mary’s vocals are picked up in Diana’s mic when she sings Johnny Bristol’s part.
    I would say Mary is miming to her own ad-libs. I have always really enjoyed this performance, but wish it could have been a little less rushed. It sounds like their running late for another engagement.

Where Did Our Love Go
    Back In My Arms Again
    Love is Here
    The medley was a very good one but 'WDOLG' was the only one you mentioned that SHOULD have been included. If the tempo was not compatible with the rest of the songs, an easy fix would have been to have it as the first song segueing into 'STOP'. Problem solved.

'Love is Here' is a very forgettable song and even though 'Back in My Arms' is probably my favourite Supremes single, the 'Flo' [[& Mary) lyrics [[my favourite part of the song) could have been an issue [[as it was with Return to Love 30 years later).

I’m pretty sure that Mary was picked up on Diana’s mic when she was doing Johnny Bristol’s part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I would say Mary is miming to her own ad-libs. I have always really enjoyed this performance, but wish it could have been a little less rushed. It sounds like their running late for another engagement.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    The medley was a very good one but 'WDOLG' was the only one you mentioned that SHOULD have been included. If the tempo was not compatible with the rest of the songs, an easy fix would have been to have it as the first song segueing into 'STOP'. Problem solved.

'Love is Here' is a very forgettable song and even though 'Back in My Arms' is probably my favourite Supremes single, the 'Flo' [[& Mary) lyrics [[my favourite part of the song) could have been an issue [[as it was with Return to Love 30 years later).
    I love "lihanyg". It's quite different to other Supremes songs. Having said that i am quite surprised it reached no.1. It's probably not quite as commercial as most of their other singles.

in regards to the mic head disappearing, i too have wondered if it fell off or if there were 2 recordings of the performance and for whatever reason there was a need to swap in this portion here. maybe if Diana made a mistake or something

if the head fell off, i wonder if that's why they cut to close ups of Mary and Cindy. By this time, it was not a given that the "girls" would get a close up. If they did, it would usually be timed with some line they were singing. Here they're singing Love Child and other than it's nice to see a shot of each of them, there isn't a particular reason to. UNLESS it's because the mic fell apart and maybe it startled Diana or perhaps she had a reaction to it. so quickly cut to the girls and call it a day

in regards to the mic head disappearing, i too have wondered if it fell off or if there were 2 recordings of the performance and for whatever reason there was a need to swap in this portion here. maybe if Diana made a mistake or something

if the head fell off, i wonder if that's why they cut to close ups of Mary and Cindy. By this time, it was not a given that the "girls" would get a close up. If they did, it would usually be timed with some line they were singing. Here they're singing Love Child and other than it's nice to see a shot of each of them, there isn't a particular reason to. UNLESS it's because the mic fell apart and maybe it startled Diana or perhaps she had a reaction to it. so quickly cut to the girls and call it a day
    I still think this performance wasn't done before an audience and there were at least two performances which they edited together, hence the mike change. There wasn't enough time for the cone to fall off and then be put back on and have the performance continue otherwise. I also think the shots were planned in advance, including the close-ups of Mary and Cindy. Most tv shows are.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I still think this performance wasn't done before an audience and there were at least two performances which they edited together, hence the mike change. There wasn't enough time for the cone to fall off and then be put back on and have the performance continue otherwise. I also think the shots were planned in advance, including the close-ups of Mary and Cindy. Most tv shows are.
    Wait...I thought sullivan went out live ? Or had it ceased and was taped by this time period ?

Could, possibly,the dress rehearsal was filmed and this was edited into the studio audience take ? Just a thought.