[REMOVE ADS]

5 favorite Supremes songs sprung from the vaults?

Over the past few decades a number of Supremes recordings that were vaulted at initial time of recording have been released on various collections.

So of these songs, which make up your top 5?

My picks:

The Beginning of the End of Love
    Stormy
    Life Beats
    And I Thought You Loved Me
    Bend a Little

Oh, you "fans" who can limit your favs to a certain number...*smh*

All jokes aside, I really can't limit myself to a favorite five. Truth be told, starting with the 25th Anniversary set, I find a lot of the unreleased stuff to be better than what was actually released, big hits not included. I'll list five among the ones I've been most impressed with, in no particular order:

Mr. Blues
    Come On Boy
    The Blue Room
    Stormy
    Take Your Dreams Back

I'm partial to the period before the fame, which is why I adore the Meet EE and the WDOLG EE so very much. Diana often sings in a less polished style, which I find to be more my personal taste than some of the more overt efforts at a pop sound. And Flo and Mary were often on fire with their harmonies. The combo of the three of them was...well, Supreme.

I keep my fingers crossed that there's some pre-fame Supremes tracks still waiting to be released or even discovered. I know some of the 1963 original recordings of tracks on the C&W album still haven't seen the light of day, but besides those, I'd love for something we haven't heard before.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Over the past few decades a number of Supremes recordings that were vaulted at initial time of recording have been released on various collections.

So of these songs, which make up your top 5?

My picks:

The Beginning of the End of Love
    Stormy
    Life Beats
    Bend a Little
    I was a big fan of "Life Beats" when it came out. I had it on a bootleg prior to that and just didn't think it was all that. But when it was finally officially released, I really got into it. I thought it was a lost hit. That was my opinion for some years. I've since cooled off of it. I don't often make it a point to play it and I don't think it's a lost hit. I do think it was a lost opportunity to include it as a fantastic album track.

It seems "Bend A Little" is a fan favorite, but I've never gotten into it. I also had it on bootleg before official release and it left me with a "meh" feeling. The official release didn't change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Oh, you "fans" who can limit your favs to a certain number...*smh*

All jokes aside, I really can't limit myself to a favorite five. Truth be told, starting with the 25th Anniversary set, I find a lot of the unreleased stuff to be better than what was actually released, big hits not included. I'll list five among the ones I've been most impressed with, in no particular order:
    Agreed, Ran. I'm gonna try to limit to 5.

Let Me Hear You Say [[I Love You)
    Sincerely
    Dr. Goldfoot & the Bikini Machine
    There's A Small Hotel

Don't Take It Away
    Sleepwalk
    It's All Your Fault [[both versions)
    Day Will Come Between Sunday And Monday
    Bewitched, Bothered, Bewildered [[both versions)

Sweet Thing
    The Beginning Of The End Of Love
    Manhattan
    Bend A Little
    Can We Love Again

Quote Originally Posted by Glenpwood View Post
    Sweet Thing
    Manhattan
    Bend A Little
    Can We Love Again
    This is difficult narrowing down to three, but…

Send Me No Flowers
    You Took Advantage Of Me
    Spring Is Here
    Manhattan
    It’s All Your Fault

Ooowee Baby
    Take Me Where You Go
    Just a Little Misunderstanding
    Stay in My Lonely Arms
    Those Precious Memories

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Agreed, Ran. I'm gonna try to limit to 5.

Let Me Hear You Say [[I Love You)
    Sincerely
    Dr. Goldfoot & the Bikini Machine
    There's A Small Hotel
    Love the first four Lucky! I know I sound like a broken record from thread to thread but I am amazed at how great a lot of the R&H outtakes are compared to what actually made the album. "There's A Small Hotel" is an absolute fave of mine. And all three ladies were taking no prisoners with "Let Me Hear You Say It" and "Dr. Goldfoot".

Never much paid attention to "And I Thought You Loved Me". Gonna take a listen today.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Don't Take It Away
    Sleepwalk
    It's All Your Fault [[both versions)
    Day Will Come Between Sunday And Monday
    Bewitched, Bothered, Bewildered [[both versions)
    I love all of these. I'm particularly fond of "Don't Take It Away" and "It's All Your Fault", the latter of which I had intended to do a thread about last week but decided against it. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Ooowee Baby
    Take Me Where You Go
    Just a Little Misunderstanding
    Stay in My Lonely Arms
    Those Precious Memories
    I'm a big fan of "Take Me Where You Go". It should've been on More Hits.

Am I Asking Too Much
    You're Gonna Come To Me [[WDOLGEE)
    Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered [[Alt version)
    Our Day Will Come
    Send Me No Flowers

great topic!! i'm actually almost sort of thinking we've NOT done a list like this. so kudos for coming up with a new one!!

The Blue Room - this is just a stunning track with stunning harmonies. a real shame it was left off of the original lp. but probably too "group" oriented

Tears left over - a great Frank Wilson production and gives a hint, maybe, of what he might have done with the girls post-Touch. maybe something more hard hitting r&b

after all - probably my fav of the MTM era and wonderful to hear all four girls on lead

Mother Dear version 3

If you should walk away - this is a great DMC song and would have been a great addition to the LC album

and now i'm going to break the rules a bit :P my previous post were all unreleased songs. but here are my top 5 alt versions of songs released. I sort of touched on this with Version 3 of Mother Dear. but that was SO different i decided to count it as a separate song

High Energy - alt version on disc 3 of LYG set. this is NOT the version from the Russ Terrana version of the HE lp. but rather the completely alt version with a totally different Susaye lead. I really like her vocals even better on this one. IMO they're even more empassionsed

Someday L&F version - the reason i'm bringing this version up isn't so much that i really like this version. the organ intro was so totally different and then when the rest of the instruments join in, the organ is still high in the mix. then i went to listen to the original released version and i could pick up the organ, which i had never really noticed before. so was excited to hear something new

Love Child with the extra verse - i do think the unreleased Verse 3 was the weakest of the verses and it wasn't a drastic loss to the song to remove it. but i think they should have done a longer, extended version of the song with this verse as the LP version.

put on a happy face live - on the EE of Copa, i loved the version with the original vocals. how they were able to fix/clean up Diana's original vocals and therefore remove her studio doubling. you can really hear the 3 girls and it's just great!!

Sadie Sadie - hearing just DMC on this alt version and their harmonies was a joy

"Don't Let True Love Die"
    "It's All Your Fault"
    "Sweet Thing"
    "The Beginning Of The End Of Love"
    "The Day Will Come Between Sunday And Monday"

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    great topic!! i'm actually almost sort of thinking we've NOT done a list like this. so kudos for coming up with a new one!!

The Blue Room - this is just a stunning track with stunning harmonies. a real shame it was left off of the original lp. but probably too "group" oriented

Tears left over - a great Frank Wilson production and gives a hint, maybe, of what he might have done with the girls post-Touch. maybe something more hard hitting r&b

after all - probably my fav of the MTM era and wonderful to hear all four girls on lead

Mother Dear version 3

If you should walk away - this is a great DMC song and would have been a great addition to the LC album
    Yes and yes to "Tears Left Over" and "Mother Dear". "If You Should Walk Away" is another great one and I agree it would've been perfect for Love Child.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    "Don't Let True Love Die"
    "It's All Your Fault"
    "Sweet Thing"
    "The Beginning Of The End Of Love"
    "The Day Will Come Between Sunday And Monday"
    "Don't Let True Love Die"...I don't know why I love this song so much. I can't say it's particularly outstanding. Don't think it would've been a good single, nor am I willing to argue that it should've been an album cut. [[Not gonna argue against it either.) But I do love it. I just do.

"Don't Let True Love Die"...I don't know why I love this song so much. I can't say it's particularly outstanding. Don't think it would've been a good single, nor am I willing to argue that it should've been an album cut. [[Not gonna argue against it either.) But I do love it. I just do.
    I think Don't Let could have been a perfectly fine album cut. it's certainly not the magic of a You Can't Hurry Love or You Keep Me Hangin On. but it would have been a far better inclusion on Sing HDH than You're Gone Always In My Heart or Love Is In Our Hearts even.

I love it, too, and don't know quite why . One of my favorites on the More Hits EE.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I think Don't Let could have been a perfectly fine album cut. it's certainly not the magic of a You Can't Hurry Love or You Keep Me Hangin On. but it would have been a far better inclusion on Sing HDH than You're Gone Always In My Heart or Love Is In Our Hearts even.
    I'm a fan of You're Gone. DLTLD should have been on the Reflections album instead of Up up and Away..

Bend A Little
    Stormy
    After All
    Are You Sure Love Is The Name Of This Game

I found the work in progress versions of ‘Itching very interesting. I concur with many mentioned above. It’s impossible for me to select 5.

In the Evening of Our Love
    Honey Babe
    Surfer Boy
    Oh My Poor Baby

Can't Get You Out Of My Mind is an excellent vault track. A&S produced this and really is strong. we all know how great they are as producers for Diana but the Top/Sup duet material is also strong. frankly the 5 duets they produced are all top notch and among the best of the Top/Sup material

The songs A&S did were

River Deep
    Ain't nothing like the real thing
    Reach out and touch
    One more bridge to cross
    I'm glad about it
    Can't get you out of my mind

out of the Promises Kept sessions, i think these are the best. and could have formed the core of the PK album if they'd all added another song or 2

Can't Get You Out Of My Mind [[A&S)
    Tears Left Over [[frank wilson)
    Oh my poor baby [[pam sawyer, gloria jones)
    I'll have to let him know i love him [[pam sawyer, gloria jones)

Beginnning Of The End Of Love
    Tears Left Over
    Life Beats
    Stormy
    Mr Blues
    and i Thought You Loved Me
    Cant Get You Out Of My Mind
    Bend A Little
    Can We Love Again
    Manhattan

I can't believe no one but me has included "In the Evening of Our Love".
    I play it again and again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    that's a good one too. I dropped it onto my LC alt album playlist. I was trying to do a version of the album that was "serious and more substantial songs" It can't be nothing but sad songs otherwise the album is too morose. The title of Evening and the lyric fit with this "serious" approach but the sound is different. works well IMO

but it still doesn't make my top 5 lol

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Actually, this is one of my faves as well. But we were limited to five so I had to make a choice. But if this same question came up at another time, ITEOOL might very well make my list.

If I should walk away escapes me, what collection is this on.
    Have to give it a listen.
    I'm going to have to make a playlist of these lost gems.
    I also like Oowee Baby

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    If I should walk away escapes me, what collection is this on.
    Have to give it a listen.
    I'm going to have to make a playlist of these lost gems.
    I also like Oowee Baby
    It's on the complete duets collection with the Tempts. I assume the song was intended as a duet but guessing the Tempts never cut vocals. I haven't read the liner notes in a bazillion years and can't remember if there was an explanation given.