[REMOVE ADS]

Supremes: AT THEIR BEST

Forgive me if this question has been asked before:

When the Supremes "At their Best" in the UK in February, 1978, this was the track listing:

Side one
    1."Stoned Love" [[2:58)
    2."I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking" [[3:08)
    3."Floy Joy" [[2:31)
    4."Nathan Jones" [[3:01)
    5."Everybody's Got the Right to Love" [[2:44)
    6."High Energy" [[4:13)
    7."Automatically Sunshine" [[3:08)

Side two
    1."Up the Ladder to the Roof" [[3:14)
    2."You're My Driving Wheel" [[3:19)
    3."Bad Weather" [[3:01)
    4."Love Train" [[3:20)
    5."The Sha-La Bandit" [[3:40)
    6."He's My Man" [[3:02)
    7."You're What's Missing in My Life" [[3:58)

By the time this was released in the US in June, 1978, the track list was reduced to this:

Side one
    1."Stoned Love" [[2:58)
    2."I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do the Walking" [[3:08)
    3."Floy Joy" [[2:31)
    4."Nathan Jones" [[3:01)

Side two
    1."Up the Ladder to the Roof" [[3:14)
    2."You're My Driving Wheel" [[3:19)
    3."Everybody's Got the Right to Love" [[2:44)
    4."Bad Weather" [[3:01)
    5."Love Train" [[3:20)

That's a difference of FOUR tracks. Interestingly, several tracks: "Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love", "Touch", and "Miss the Man" are missing from both sets, in favor of "unreleased" [[at the time) songs such as "Love Train" and "Sha-la Bandit".

I didn't realize the British version of that album had so many more tracks. I bought it to augment a record store find, The Supremes Greatest Hits [[UK release) with the In Japan cover being used. That has Touch & I Guess I'll Miss The Man.
    Name:  the_supremes-greatest_hits[[1).jpg
Views: 2314
Size:  90.0 KB

Another version.
    Name:  The-Supremes-Greatest-Hits-570714.jpg
Views: 2325
Size:  53.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Another version.
    The american version had no pic but a rose on t cover i still hsve my copy

Can't Believe they left off High Energy.....blasphemy!!!! Such a great production !

Here is the American Version. I bought it and Jean Terrell's "I Had to Fall in Love" at the same time late Summer '78.

Attachment 9417

Why does top pic omit "featuring. Mary"...i always had the feeling At their Best was a rush job....? Why did UK have different album cover than USA? Was Mary name more known there?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Why does top pic omit "featuring. Mary"...i always had the feeling At their Best was a rush job....? Why did UK have different album cover than USA? Was Mary name more known there?
    That version of the album cover always had "featuring Mary Wilson". At least the ones I ever saw.

Interesting Marv2. I never realised the different track listings. Your post has brought back fond memories. Thank you Marv2!

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Forgive me if this question has been asked before:

When the Supremes "At their Best" in the UK in February, 1978, this was the track listing ....

That's a difference of FOUR tracks. Interestingly, several tracks: "Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love", "Touch", and "Miss the Man" are missing from both sets, in favor of "unreleased" [[at the time) songs such as "Love Train" and "Sha-la Bandit".
    Love train had been issued about 5 years before this release on "The Motown Sound Volume 2", STML 11237 [[although I'm remembering this without checking the STML number). The two volumes of the Motown Sound were truly amazing - and contained tracks / singles, which either weren't released in the UK, or didn't sell. Nevertheless, both of those releases are perhaps two of my favourite compilation LP of all time.

You can get a rough idea how old a poster is from replies to this thread. LOLOL

I agree with you Gordyhunk about those two Motown Sound albums...I loved them too. Can I remember the first one....STML 11217 ?

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    You can get a rough idea how old a poster is from replies to this thread. LOLOL

I agree with you Gordyhunk about those two Motown Sound albums...I loved them too. Can I remember the first one....STML 11217 ?
    Yes, it is STML 11217. For those who don't know the two LP:

Volume 1
    Gotta hold on to this feeling - Jr Walker & The All Stars
    Doggone right - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    A breath taking guy - The Marvelettes
    The bells - The Originals
    We'll have it made - Motown Spinners
    Stay a little longer - Yvonne Fair
    This used to be the home of Johnnie Mae - Eddie Kendricks
    Touch - The Supremes
    Whatcha gonna do - Terry Johnson
    Abraham, Martin & John - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    That's how heartaches are made - The Marvelettes
    So deep within you - Four Tops
    Cheating is telling on you - Lollipops
    Sweet darlin' - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas

Volume 2
    Love train - The Supremes
    Let's go back to day one - Eddie Kendricks
    Groove thang - Jr Walker & The All Stars
    Papa was a rolling stone - Undisputed Truth
    Keep on running - Stevie Wonder
    Can't it wait until tomorrow - Valerie Simpson
    Blood donors needed - David Ruffin
    What it is? - Undisputed Truth
    Drink the wine - Valerie Simpson
    Girl you need a change of mind - Eddie Kendricks
    I love every little thing about you - Stevie Wonder
    To know you is to love you - Syreeta
    I can't stand to see you cry - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles

Just re-reading the track listing brings back happy memories.

Not sure who wrote the liner notes - but on volume 2, it's "R.K." who if my memory serves me right from all those years ago, is Robin Katz.

happy memories indeed! Life seemed so much simpler then. I have these albums somewhere.
    They were the perfect companions to the motown chartbusters album.

Quote Originally Posted by gordy_hunk View Post

Volume 1
    Gotta hold on to this feeling - Jr Walker & The All Stars
    Doggone right - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    A breath taking guy - The Marvelettes
    The bells - The Originals
    We'll have it made - Motown Spinners
    Stay a little longer - Yvonne Fair
    This used to be the home of Johnnie Mae - Eddie Kendricks
    Touch - The Supremes
    Whatcha gonna do - Terry Johnson
    Abraham, Martin & John - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    That's how heartaches are made - The Marvelettes
    So deep within you - Four Tops
    Cheating is telling on you - Lollipops
    Sweet darlin' - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas

Volume 2
    Love train - The Supremes
    Let's go back to day one - Eddie Kendricks
    Groove thang - Jr Walker & The All Stars
    Papa was a rolling stone - Undisputed Truth
    Keep on running - Stevie Wonder
    Can't it wait until tomorrow - Valerie Simpson
    Blood donors needed - David Ruffin
    What it is? - Undisputed Truth
    Drink the wine - Valerie Simpson
    Girl you need a change of mind - Eddie Kendricks
    I love every little thing about you - Stevie Wonder
    To know you is to love you - Syreeta
    I can't stand to see you cry - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    What an amazing set; what year would these have come out? Mid-70's?

*drools*

I would guess around 73-74.

"The Supremes At Their Best" was released in the UK, February 1978 / US in June 1978.
    I can't find any information on when "The Supremes Greatest Hits" [[the In Japan cover) was released. The Motown Sound, STML 11217, was released on LP in 1972.
    Last edited by thommg; 05-06-2015 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    "The Supremes At Their Best" was released in the UK, February 1978 / US in June 1978.
    I can't find any information on when "The Supremes Greatest Hits" [[the In Japan cover) was released. The Motown Sound, STML 11217, was released on LP in 1972.
    Just to clear up some confusion here about these various releases.

The Supremes' "Greatest Hits" was first issued on UK Tamla Motown, STML 11256, in March 1974 and stayed on catalogue until August 1979. It was then reissued in April 1980 on UK Motown's, then, mid-price reissue line as STMR 9010 and it was the reissue that carried the added moniker "featuring Mary Wilson". This was added at that time as UK Motown were keen to push Mary as a solo act and, indeed, were quite excited about her, then, newly recorded solo tracks with producer Gus Dudgeon but, sadly, all of that came to nothing as she was dropped by Motown.

As for the later "At Their Best" album, the expanded UK edition was actually released in September 1978, STML 12091, and not February 1978 as previously stated here and the UK edition carried the same artwork as the US edition.

As for "The Motown Sound" LP compilation series, volume 1 was originally planned as a deluxe gatefold LP release in July 1972 as STMA 8003 but this release was cancelled and the LP was then eventually released as a normal priced edition as STML 11217 in February 1973. Volume 2 was released in August 1973 with the catalogue number of STML 11237 and a third volume was scheduled for release in February 1974 with the catalogue number of STML 11250 but, sadly, that third volume was cancelled which was a damn shame as that one was probably the most interesting of the lot, track-wise that is.

Ivor

Great info Laser!

Can someone explain the David Ruffin "Blood Donors Needed" track? I'm assuming it's a public awareness radio spot. How unusual for it to be included on an album like this. Or was it a legitimate song? I find that hard to believe with a title like that!

As for "The Motown Sound" LP compilation series, volume 1 was originally planned as a deluxe gatefold LP release in July 1972 as STMA 8003 but this release was cancelled and the LP was then eventually released as a normal priced edition as STML 11217 in February 1973. Volume 2 was released in August 1973 with the catalogue number of STML 11237 and a third volume was scheduled for release in February 1974 with the catalogue number of STML 11250 but, sadly, that third volume was cancelled which was a damn shame as that one was probably the most interesting of the lot, track-wise that is.

Any recollection of what the third volume track list would have been/was?

Any recollection of what the third volume track list would have been/was?
    The Motown Sound Volume 3 STML 11250
    Side One
    1 Soft Days The Supremes
    2 Gimme That Beat Jr. Walker & The All-Stars
    3 Be My Love The Originals
    4 Darling Come Back Home Eddie Kendricks
    5 I Could Never Make A Better Man [[Than You) The Sisters Love
    6 No Matter Where G.C. Cameron
    7 Don’t You Be Worried Commodores
    Side Two
    1 That’s How It Was [[Right From The Start) The Devastating Affair
    2 Do You Know Where You're Going To Thelma Houston
    3 Follow Me - Follow You Marbaya
    4 Rolling Down A Mountainside Third Creation
    5 Plainsville USA Jimmy Randolph
    6 Law Of The Land The Undisputed Truth
    7 Let’s Make Love Now Art & Honey

I know it's some 40 years now...but I still get a kick about folk talking in terms of STML and TMG catalogue numbers.

Old habits never die I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserdk View Post
    As for the later "At Their Best" album, the expanded UK edition was actually released in September 1978, STML 12091, and not February 1978 as previously stated here and the UK edition carried the same artwork as the US edition.
    Ivor
    The dates I quoted are from the Wikipedia page on the At Their Best album. We all know that Wikipedia is not the best for hard facts but it does help.

Thommg- Don't worry about it. It all happened a long time ago...as time goes on..decades only seem like years....

Nevertheless, it was good to see Ivor posting here on SDF giving hard facts [[as it was for you too Mick!). Us Brits have tended to be a little exacting about such details.

Smile

Thommg- Don't worry about it. It all happened a long time ago...as time goes on..decades only seem like years....

Nevertheless, it was good to see Ivor posting here on SDF giving hard facts [[as it was for you too Mick!). Us Brits have tended to be a little exacting about such details.
    Perhaps we should update the Wikipedia page!

I'd have snapped up The Motown Sound Volume 3 without giving it a second thought. Boyfromxtown, I used to file all my Motown LPs in sequence by catalogue number, so I had a lot of STML's! Sadly, I still remember most of the catalogue numbers! Can anyone identify STML11232? [[No cheating!)

Quote Originally Posted by TomBairdFan View Post
    I'd have snapped up The Motown Sound Volume 3 without giving it a second thought. Boyfromxtown, I used to file all my Motown LPs in sequence by catalogue number, so I had a lot of STML's! Sadly, I still remember most of the catalogue numbers! Can anyone identify STML11232? [[No cheating!)

Ric-Tic Relics and what an album!

Ivor

Nice of you to say so John. I know I haven't posted here in absolute yonks but, for some unknown reason, I kept getting locked out and having to change my password what seemed like constantly I got fed up with it but I've re-registered again and all seems fine now.

Ivor

Ric-Tic Relics and what an album!

Ivor
    lololol Some things you just know instantly......what a sad lot we must be!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Can someone explain the David Ruffin "Blood Donors Needed" track? I'm assuming it's a public awareness radio spot. How unusual for it to be included on an album like this. Or was it a legitimate song? I find that hard to believe with a title like that!
    No it was a dance record.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Kenneth,

"Blood Dnors Needed" was, indeed, a legitimate song and was included on David's self titled album issued on US Motown in February 1973 [[M762L) and on UK Tamla Motown in May 1973 [[STML 11228). The track itself was pulled as the second US single from teh album and was released in February 1973 also. There was no UK single release hence its inclusion on "The Motown Sound Vol.2" album as that album series was used to spotlight US singles which UK Motown passed on at the time and the odd one or two previously unreleased tracks.

Ivor

Kenneth,

"Blood Dnors Needed" was, indeed, a legitimate song and was included on David's self titled album issued on US Motown in February 1973 [[M762L) and on UK Tamla Motown in May 1973 [[STML 11228). The track itself was pulled as the second US single from teh album and was released in February 1973 also. There was no UK single release hence its inclusion on "The Motown Sound Vol.2" album as that album series was used to spotlight US singles which UK Motown passed on at the time and the odd one or two previously unreleased tracks.

Ivor
    Oops, sorry folks. I should have proof-read that last post before sending as I see there are two typos. Ah well....

Ivor

Oops, sorry folks. I should have proof-read that last post before sending as I see there are two typos. Ah well....

Ivor
    And another apology Kenneth as here is the song in question:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmVl0-vknzs

Ivor

Nice of you to say so John. I know I haven't posted here in absolute yonks but, for some unknown reason, I kept getting locked out and having to change my password what seemed like constantly I got fed up with it but I've re-registered again and all seems fine now.

Ivor
    Ivor

We are all getting a little older and the old crowd is dwindling so I find it very comforting when I see an old friend post. It was really lovely to see you here and please continue whenever you feel the urge. By the same token, if you see anything here that you want to share elsewhere, please do so. Music is much more fun when it's shared.

Ivor
    Ivor...we are all human. Don't worry about it.

However, put a wrong TMG or TML number and I shall personally have you hung up by your feet for a week! LOLOL Naah....only kidding!

Was the much better track listing in the UK possibly a result of the Supremes kind of lasting better in the UK than the USA; and also possibly even when they were at their best/peak, the British peak was higher than the American peak.

I recall that when the American version of At Their Best was released, I couldn't even buy it in Canada; it wasn't being stocked because the Supremes were dead in the water ~ I had to special order it.

Does that make any sense or no?

Albums which originated in the UK almost always had more songs than those in the US back in the 60s, didn't they? The classic example is the Beatles' early albums, which were chopped up and divided into more albums than in the UK. 12 songs was usually the standard song list for a US album, but wasn't it more like 14 in the UK?

At Their Best was a complete mess. Not much thought put into that one. At that point I had no clue where Sha La Bandit came from and never liked it anyway. I finally came across the UK Greatest Hits feat. Mary Wilson and could not believe the improvement with the inclusion of the two singles with the Four Tops and a picture on the front instead of three orchids! Many of Motown's 70s misc. albums were poorly done. The best treatment went to Diana, Marvin and Stevie. It is so wonderful today that you can make your own comps. and covers the way you'd like to see them. It took about 24 years for the 70s Supremes to get represented in a decent package in 70s Anthology.

Ivor...we are all human. Don't worry about it.

However, put a wrong TMG or TML number and I shall personally have you hung up by your feet for a week! LOLOL Naah....only kidding!
    Well John, you would have every right to hang me up by my feet if I got a UK Motown LP catalogue number wrong as,sadly, I admit to knowing virtually all of the TML/STML, STMA, STMR, STMS, TMSP and the short lived STMX LP series off the top of my head. Can't say quite the same for the whole of the TMG singles series though due to the numerous reissues etc. but, just remembered, I do know all of the TME EP series. What's wrong with me?

Ivor

Kenneth,

Ivor
    Wow, thanks. I'll have to listen to the "David" album again. I didn't have all of DR's albums until much, much later, and was surprised to find "David" at one point at a used record store, having never remember even seeing it before. Of course now I have it on the Hip-O releases as well.

Thanks again for the information!

Well John, you would have every right to hang me up by my feet if I got a UK Motown LP catalogue number wrong as,sadly, I admit to knowing virtually all of the TML/STML, STMA, STMR, STMS, TMSP and the short lived STMX LP series off the top of my head. Can't say quite the same for the whole of the TMG singles series though due to the numerous reissues etc. but, just remembered, I do know all of the TME EP series. What's wrong with me?

Ivor
    It's a 50 year fad i went through....now i'm of pension age....it starts to get better and I'm slowly starting to forget.

I've managed to forget most of the Stateside LP's now...struggling a bit with the 45's but I'll get there!!

You have that to look forward to. lol

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    Another version.
    I'm surprised this album cover has not received more attention. This is the only time I've ever seen Mary Wilson's name highlighted as one of the Supremes [[except of course "Mary, Scherrie and Susaye" which is an entirely different matter). This should be a real collector's item, IMHO.

Is this a typo? The "At Their Best" version runs 20 seconds shorter than what's quote above, does it not?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Yes, by this time Mary was touring extensively in Europe. The Supremes name still meant something overseas though in the USA it was dead. Motown released this lp in the USA to coincide with the announcement that there would be no more Supremes. The company couldn't even bury the group properly. The cover was awful. We couldn't get two more tracks to make the purchase price worthwhile?

The Supremes' "Greatest Hits" was first issued on UK Tamla Motown, STML 11256, in March 1974 and stayed on catalogue until August 1979. It was then reissued in April 1980 on UK Motown's, then, mid-price reissue line as STMR 9010 and it was the reissue that carried the added moniker "featuring Mary Wilson". This was added at that time as UK Motown were keen to push Mary as a solo act and, indeed, were quite excited about her, then, newly recorded solo tracks with producer Gus Dudgeon but, sadly, all of that came to nothing as she was dropped by Motown.

Ivor
    I might be confused, but if Supremes "GH" was released in 1974, how can it contain tracks released after 1974?

Regardless of when it was released, interesting that the cover included Lynda instead of Cindy. Cindy was certainly on more 70's hits than anyone else?

And I wonder what Jean would have thought when the "Featuring" cover was released?

I have learned that 'At Their Best' as an album title usually means quite the opposite.

I might be confused, but if Supremes "GH" was released in 1974, how can it contain tracks released after 1974?

Regardless of when it was released, interesting that the cover included Lynda instead of Cindy. Cindy was certainly on more 70's hits than anyone else?

And I wonder what Jean would have thought when the "Featuring" cover was released?
    I believe the GH released in 1974 is the same track list for the "GH featuring Mary Wilson":
    1) Up The Ladder To The Roof
    2) Bad Weather
    3) Nathan Jones
    4) Everybody's Got The Right To Love
    5) Automatically Sunshine
    6) Touch
    7) I Guess I'll Miss The Man
    8) Stoned Love
    Side 2
    1) River Deep - Mountain High [[with 4Tops)
    2) Floy Joy
    3) Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music
    4) Your Wonderful, Sweet Sweet Love
    5) You Gotta Have Love In Your Heart [[with 4Tops)
    6) Bill, When Are You Coming Back
    7) Reach Out and Touch [[with 4Tops)