[REMOVE ADS]

Page 63 of 77 FirstFirst ... 13 53 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 73 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,150 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I used to hate Spam. Braunschwager too. And from the time I heard the name "potted meat product", the idea of digging meat out of a flower pot and making some sort of product from it was a non-starter. I guess I wasn't a big fan of Armour-Star foods. Didn't even like Vienna sausage.
    Vienna Sausage has THE weirdest taste & texture known to man!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I thought scrapple was something they made out of corn meal and pork pan drippings. At least that is what I saw when I first moved to Pennsylvania years ago.
    Similar to Jerry's post, what's in a name, right?
    Scrapple?! Scraps!!!

man! Lol!!!!!! You sure it wasn't spam? Lol!!!
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..marv do you actually think that with an alley out in back that grady would spend money on -spam???

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..marv do you actually think that with an alley out in back that grady would spend money on -spam???
    hahahahahahaha ......lol!!!!

Who remembers-ring pudding? Which was sold at markets and was not pudding at all but pork and pretty good too!

Who remembers-ring pudding? Which was sold at markets and was not pudding at all but pork and pretty good too!
    Never heard of that one.

I bet robb remembers it..hey robb?

That looked gross. Head cheese looked gross too [[and the name didn't help it at all).

That looked gross. Head cheese looked gross too [[and the name didn't help it at all).
    People ate that? Are you kidding?

I bet robb remembers it..hey robb?
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  21.1 KB
    My father had a small "Ma & Pa" grocery store on The South Side of Chicago, and in The Crenshaw Area of South L.A., so I knew what Soul Food is. We had Chittlin's, salt pork, head cheese, souse, and all kinds of pork sausage. i grew up in a home where my grandparents kept kosher, and we didn't eat pork [[although my parents and all us kids ate Chinese food, which is not kosher. Of course, when I ate at non-Jews' houses, I ate what they served [[but declined politely to try souse or head cheese!)

People ate that? Are you kidding?
Views: 272
    That had fat and other stuff taken from inside the pig's head. Souse, the jelled stuff that looks like that, but also has green things in it, also had turkey beaks and other disgusting parts of fowl as well as pork. You couldn't get me to try that, and I've eaten some pretty questionable things while working in 3rd World countries [[but not chocolate ants or fried grasshoppers.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 272
    That had fat and other stuff taken from inside the pig's head. Souse, the jelled stuff that looks like that, but also has green things in it, also had turkey beaks and other disgusting parts of fowl as well as pork. You couldn't get me to try that, and I've eaten some pretty questionable things while working in 3rd World countries [[but not chocolate ants or fried grasshoppers.
    This nearly made me retch. I used to see head cheese in the grocery store where I worked but had no idea what was in it or how accurate the name is. They sell chocolate covered grasshoppers and ants [[and other... stuff) at the Ohio State Fair.

We recall the wonder and delight of "Gov'ment Cheese [[a brick) and peanut butter in the 55 - gallon metal drum!! But what about
    powdered milk? Mom's forced it on us kids once. And even that was one time too many.
    Bleckkkk!!

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    We recall the wonder and delight of "Gov'ment Cheese [[a brick) and peanut butter in the 55 - gallon metal drum!! But what about
    powdered milk? Mom's forced it on us kids once. And even that was one time too many.
    Bleckkkk!!
    We never had the Government cheese. My daddy had a job.............hehehehehehehehehe!

These were my arch enemies when I was a kid.......Lima beans! My mother and I would have a complete standoff in the kitchen at the table because I wouldn't even put them in my mouth. Everyone would be outside playing and I would sit there and stare her down until it got dark! LOL!

Attachment 16046

We never had the Government cheese. My daddy had a job.............hehehehehehehehehe!
    Now now. All of us couldn't have BOTH parents in the home. Papa truly was a rollin stone! But Moms made up for his absence. She raised to boys...on her own!! She did what most single parents did back then [[and now) - she got the job done!!!

These were my arch enemies when I was a kid.......Lima beans! My mother and I would have a complete standoff in the kitchen at the table because I wouldn't even put them in my mouth. Everyone would be outside playing and I would sit there and stare her down until it got dark! LOL!

Attachment 16046
    Still hate limas!!!

Here's one - drinking out of those reusable Welch's Jelly jars, as drinking glasses They had cartoon characters on them.

Mine too. But when the church around the corner began distributing it and my folks saw that the line [[which stretched halfway down the block) was filled with people who stepped from brand new cars, they went over and got a block. The people it was intended for stayed in bed and showed up in the afternoon. With that being said, we never got a second block. What kind of "cheese" doesn't melt on a hamburger?

Here's one - drinking out of those reusable Welch's Jelly jars, as drinking glasses They had cartoon characters on them.
    I remember those. Also remember Kool-Aid knockoff Wyler's.

Now now. All of us couldn't have BOTH parents in the home. Papa truly was a rollin stone! But Moms made up for his absence. She raised to boys...on her own!! She did what most single parents did back then [[and now) - she got the job done!!!
    I understand that NativeNY63. What I said was true, but I said it in a jokingly manner. No offense meant whatsoever.

Mine too. But when the church around the corner began distributing it and my folks saw that the line [[which stretched halfway down the block) was filled with people who stepped from brand new cars, they went over and got a block. The people it was intended for stayed in bed and showed up in the afternoon. With that being said, we never got a second block. What kind of "cheese" doesn't melt on a hamburger?
    "Unreal cheese". "Cheese-like product"? LOL!!!!

I remember those. Also remember Kool-Aid knockoff Wyler's.
    I remember Wyler's. Remember the big packs of drink mix [[maybe it was Kool-Aid) that had the sugar already mixed in with the drink powder?

Remember this? When we weren't going through a 5lb bag of sugar a week making Kool-Aid, we were "using up all of the milk" making this!

Attachment 16047

I love chocolate milk to this day. I used to like Yoo-Hoo, too.

Remember this? When we weren't going through a 5lb bag of sugar a week making Kool-Aid, we were "using up all of the milk" making this!

Attachment 16047
    And the strawberry flavored one too.

I love chocolate milk to this day. I used to like Yoo-Hoo, too.
    What about Bosco? Tasted like drinking a couple of candy bars.

Strawberry Yoo Hoo had to compete with Quik's.

Soda was delivered via truck in the '60's - '70's. The driver brought it to the house in wooden crates in NYC. I think the brand was Hammer's.

The original "sweetener" was Sweet 'N Low. The factory is in Brooklyn.

Candy: Zero, Chic O Stix, Three Musketeers, Whatchamacallit, 100 Grand bar, Malted Milk Balls, Reggie bar, Pop Rocks, Lemonheads,
    Rock Candy...

Soda was delivered via truck in the '60's - '70's. The driver brought it to the house in wooden crates in NYC. I think the brand was Hammer's.
    They did that too in Ohio and Michigan. They also had companies that delivered potato chips in big, circular metal cans!

We used to have our parents write our names in our clothes for school.
    They say everything comes back in style! Have you noticed quiet a few artists have their "names" on the outside of their outfits? Backup vocalists too? Examples - Ciara, Rbrm, Ginuwine, and a neo-soul artist from '95 Blu Mitchell.

we never had the government cheese. My daddy had a job.............hehehehehehehehehe!
    my daddy did too...and we still had it,haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Candy: Zero, Chic O Stix, Three Musketeers, Whatchamacallit, 100 Grand bar, Malted Milk Balls, Reggie bar, Pop Rocks, Lemonheads,
    Rock Candy...
    Snickers, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, M&Ms [[with and without peanuts), Hershey bars and 3 Musketeers were on top of my list every Halloween.

Pops used to stop by Clark gas stations and buy a case of 24 Pepsi bottles. Had to pay an extra $2.40 because it cost a dime for a bottle deposit back then. Remember those?

Snickers, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, M&Ms [[with and without peanuts), Hershey bars and 3 Musketeers were on top of my list every Halloween.
    Do you remember Squirrel Chews? Good N Plenty? Clark Bars?, Pop Bottles?

Pops used to stop by Clark gas stations and buy a case of 24 Pepsi bottles. Had to pay an extra $2.40 because it cost a dime for a bottle deposit back then. Remember those?
    We had a Clark Station right in the neighborhood in the 60s. Remember Sinclair stations with the green dinosaur?

Yep. Anything with a dinosaur caught my attention back then.

Yep. Anything with a dinosaur caught my attention back then.
    Yep that's the one! I can remember my Dad going to those stations and the guys wore uniforms, would wash the windshield, check the oil and pump the gas. To top that off, they give us kids suckers just for being in the car!

Wow,i seem to remember seeing one of those places as a kid,wow!!

people ate that? Are you kidding?
    haaaaaaaaaa,are you kidding i still eat it,yummmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Attachment 16047
    YOU HAD[5lb BAGS OF SUGAR???RICH KID]MY OLD MAN WOULD TOSS UP A SUGAR CUBE ONCE A MONTH AND IF YOU SURVIVED THE SCRAMBLE AND ACTUALLY GOT IT,THEN YOU HAD SUGAR!

Do you remember Squirrel Chews? Good N Plenty? Clark Bars?, Pop Bottles?
    I don't remember Squirrel Chews. But I didn't like coconut or "gummy" chewable candy, so Good 'N Plenty and Zagnuts were out for me. I did like the simplest stuff though. Pop bottles, candy buttons, candy necklaces [[and bracelets), candy cigarettes [[ingenious marketing, by the way), wax lips and things like that were in my list when we went to the corner drug store for candy and comic books. The only hard candy I liked were Red Hots and Lemon Heads. I are Now Or Laters but only grape flavored.

Remember when drug stores always had comic book racks?

haaaaaaaaaa,are you kidding i still eat it,yummmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
    You better stop it now then. We ain't getting younger. LOL!

YOU HAD[5lb BAGS OF SUGAR???RICH KID]MY OLD MAN WOULD TOSS UP A SUGAR CUBE ONCE A MONTH AND IF YOU SURVIVED THE SCRAMBLE AND ACTUALLY GOT IT,THEN YOU HAD SUGAR!
    Please,come on now JAI, you're making me feel bad. We weren't rich. We were adequate, hehehehehehehehe!

Remember the baby diaper delivery service? My mother always said that she spent the 60s pregnant. So she use to use a service until one day they dropped off a delivery and she said the diapers had a burnt smell! LOL

I remember those old cloth diapers,my brother had babies and when it was time to change one of those things i was ..far far away....those things would make a skunk blush-hehehe!

Remember when Encyclopedia Brittanica and the library was Google?
    And coffee only came either light or dark; one lumps or two?
    Ice cream? Vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry were your only choices. Baskin Robbins changed the game - forever.

Remember-roach powder? That crap killed a kitten of mind..and the roaches were pallbearers.