[REMOVE ADS]

New [[and Final) CD Coming from Dame Shirley!!!

Just saw the news on Amazon, although the details are sketchy. Dame Shirley Bassey will be releasing a CD of new material in November. It is being touted as her "final" release and will come out just a couple months shy of her 84th birthday. Talk about your lifetime achievement!!!

The CD will be released in two versions, and the expanded one will apparently have a booklet and additional material. I would think any true fan would want the expanded edition.

For me personally, this is WONDERFUL news, being a long-time Shirley fan, but also because it does indicate that the CD era [[alright all you whippersnappers out there, don't make fun of me!) will be with us at least a little while longer.

For those of you who are in the know, pass along any further information the minute it becomes available about this exciting new release.

Thanks for the info.

I wonder if she might consider a farewell tour once this pandemic crisis is over? I was lucky enough to see her once right when HISTORY REPEATING was hitting. She kept us waiting for 90 minutes before finally taking the stage but it was one of the best shows I've ever attended.

I was also lucky enough to see her here in Virginia once, but I don't remember what the time period was. At least 25-30 years ago I would guess. The only thing I remember about it was that she wore a lot of elaborate Liberace-style flowing capes. Since I was seeing her for the first and only time, I kind of assumed that it was a trademark of hers.

I love her. It was my mother, actually, who listened to her and always raved about her voice. I came to love her too and had all her albums from the vinyl era, most of which I think I've kept.

Funny though, my Mom used to say about Bassey, "She's a great singer, but you can only listen to her at night!" In a way, she was right I think!

From 2009:Shirley Bassey BBC Electric Proms
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_v3_R7hz7Y
    A great concert with old and new songs from the album The Performance
    Setlist: 1. Diamonds Are Forever 2. I'm Still Here 3. Kiss Me Honey Honey 4. Almost There [[with Tom Baxter) 5. What Now My Love 6. After The Rain [[with Richard Hawley) 7. Big Spender 8. Lady Is A Tramp 9. The Performance Of My Life10. As Long As He Needs Me 11. Light My Fire 12. The Girl From Tiger Bay [[with James Dean Bradfield) 13. I Am What I Am 14. Goldfinger

As I thought more about this last night, something else occurred to me, although I realize that it might cause this discussion to go off on another tangent. If I am not mistaken, Shirley began her recording career in the late 1950s. So if she now releases something in the year 2020, that will mean that she was actively recording in EIGHT consecutive decades! That is pretty amazing for someone who is only 83.

I tried to think of anyone else who might be able to match that, but so far have not come up with anyone who was recording as early as the 50s but has still released something here in the 20s. Anyone else come to mind?

A friend of mine says that Petula Clark actually began recording in the 40s and she released something 5-6 years ago I believe, so she may have set that mark before Shirley did.

Yes it's very exciting news regarding DSB's upcoming new album! I was going to post this a couple of weeks ago, but then remembered how some had complained years ago about how Dame Shirley doesn't belong in the Soulful Detroit music section but rather in the off-topic clubhouse. However, I love Dame Shirley and I'm happy you posted about her new album. Fine by me

Yes you're right in regards to Petula. It's quite amazing, as I did know she began recording in the 1940's, but I didn't think about the fact that does equate to a very impressive nine-decade long recording career. She began singing on the radio as a child in the early 40's and then released her first single in 1949. She released a new single "Starting All Over Again" this year [[even though it is technically an almost 20 year old recording), which would mean she's had a music career in 9 decades. Wow! Before the single this year, she released a French album in 2018.

Petula really does deserve to be honoured as a Dame. It's really quite insulting that she still has not been given this honour at this point, after all of this time. I tend to think that someone in the royal family perhaps has an issue with her. Who knows why...

I bow to your superior knowledge! Pet wins with 9 decades. Anybody want to try for 10???

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    As I thought more about this last night, something else occurred to me, although I realize that it might cause this discussion to go off on another tangent. If I am not mistaken, Shirley began her recording career in the late 1950s. So if she now releases something in the year 2020, that will mean that she was actively recording in EIGHT consecutive decades! That is pretty amazing for someone who is only 83.

I tried to think of anyone else who might be able to match that, but so far have not come up with anyone who was recording as early as the 50s but has still released something here in the 20s. Anyone else come to mind?

A friend of mine says that Petula Clark actually began recording in the 40s and she released something 5-6 years ago I believe, so she may have set that mark before Shirley did.
    Johnny Mathis has been recording for 8 consecutive decades as well.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Johnny Mathis has been recording for 8 consecutive decades as well.
    Yep! You beat me to it. I believe Johnny Mathis has consistently recorded more original material than any other popular music artist in history. Starting in 1956 and his last studio recording of original material was 2017.

I am cautiously optimistic regarding the news of Dame Shirley Bassey's upcoming release. For the last 40 years, DSB has not had a record label, like Mathis or Streisand, to provide solid creative or commercial support, or to exercise some sort of quality control over her output. But for 2009's superb "The Performance" most of her releases of the last 20 years have been remixes, retreads or reissues cobbled together to try to make a quick buck. Her last CD "Hello Like Before" was so horribly produced and engineered that it is unlistenable -- notwithstanding her wonderful vocals.

I hope the stars align to give her and her fans "The Grand Finale" worthy of her stature and legacy.

A Bassey/Mathis duet would be lovely.

I had thought of Johnny and was of course aware of his legendary career. But if his last recording was in 2017, doesn't that leave him at just 7 active decades?

I agree that it will be interesting to see what Shirley sounds like and how this project is handled. I don't think we could realistically expect the power that she had in the 70s and 80s, but I just hope there is some memorable material on this CD.

I had thought of Johnny and was of course aware of his legendary career. But if his last recording was in 2017, doesn't that leave him at just 7 active decades?

I agree that it will be interesting to see what Shirley sounds like and how this project is handled. I don't think we could realistically expect the power that she had in the 70s and 80s, but I just hope there is some memorable material on this CD.
    I didn't know Johnny's last recording was in 2017. So yeah, he's at 7 active decades. But I wouldn't be surprised if he puts something out this decade as well.

Re Shirley, I buy all of her recordings. But the last one that I really loved was THE SHOW MUST GO ON and that was in the 90s.

Sure, counting it as chronological decades.

I was counting the actual years start to finish. Mathis first recorded in 1956 and last in 2017 -- 61 years. Bassey first recorded in 1957 and last in 2014 -- 57 years. If we get new vocals from DSB she will take the lead. Although, Mathis still has been a much more prolific recording artist.

As for her vocal condition, she was brilliant in that 2019 Ball and Boe Christmas special. It is astounding how much of her voice is still intact. I cannot think of another "belter" with her vocal longevity.

If she finds good material like on "The Performance" she won't need so much 'power.' Her interpretative gifts have grown over the years and now she can do quiet and restrained and still pack a punch. Fingers crossed...

She still gave us an incredible version of Goldfinger on the Oscars about 6 or 7 years ago.