[REMOVE ADS]

Dionne Warwick's $7 Million Legal Battle With IRS Dismissed

From MSN News:

Singer Dionne Warwick can breathe a little easier, as her $7 million battle with the IRS has been dismissed.

According to court documents obtained by The Blast, Warwick and the IRS have informed the court they are dropping their dueling lawsuits.
    The two were fighting over millions the government accused Whitney Houston’s cousin of owing. The singer believed the debt was discharged in her bankruptcy. She sued demanded they stop trying to collect the money. The IRS believed the debt was valid and fought back.
    The parties filed a stipulation of dismissal in the case.

The legal battle resulted after Dionne filed for bankruptcy in 2013. She listed assets totaling only $25,500 but liabilities of $10,727,429.
    She blamed a business manager for her finances being a mess. Most of her debt was tax-related with $6,964,466.87 being owed to Uncle Sam.

The case has dragged on for years ,due to the singer suing the government over her issues with the tax division. Warwick sought a court order discharging her $7 million tax debt from 1990 – 2008, along with an order telling the IRS to stop seizing her assets. The debt was discharged in her bankruptcy, but the feds contested the discharge.

At one point in the battle, Warwick even accused the IRS of violating a court order when they tried to seize her assets over alleged unpaid taxes for 2011-2012 totaling $71,408. She demanded they be sanctioned for not following the judge’s order to not touch her money until the outcome of the case.
    The feds fired back saying they only discovered the $71,000 owed because the singer allegedly failed to report income on her returns.

The case was headed to trial in March but was postponed due to the government shutdown. The dismissal means it will no longer be needed.

This was always a difficult one for me to figure out...She has had a legendary music career, got involved in some highly publicized outside commercial involvements and other well publicized business interests, yet has always been mired deeply in financial issues for as long as I can recall. I still remember the day in the early 90's when I was managing a car dealership in Beverly Hills when the manager of another luxury car dealership I happened to be having a conversation with and said..."you won't believe Dionne Warwicks credit report I have in front of me...it's the WORST credit I've ever seen", and proceeded to tell me about multiple BK's, tax leins, judgements, and other things...EVERYTHING f**ked up... I was shocked, being such a fan... I assumed it was her twice husband, the Elliot guy, but she had been rid of him for some time, and her financial issues have continued apparently unabated through all these years as evidenced by her current issues. Filing BK gives people a chance to start over, and she's had several opportunities to get her financial affairs in order...but apparently keeps making the same mistakes over and over again...Just hard to figure out...

Who is managing her money???

No sense that a legend of her status should be broke?

Least Whitney died with a comfortable amount of money. But will Dionne???

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Who is managing her money???

No sense that a legend of her status should be broke?

Least Whitney died with a comfortable amount of money. But will Dionne???
    Probably not sadly. She has always spent more than she has earned. That is unlikely to change now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Probably not sadly. She has always spent more than she has earned. That is unlikely to change now.
    Unfortunately that can happen. And not making quarterly estimated payments to the IRS is always a road to ruin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It's always the same story with musicians. Ugh...