[REMOVE ADS]

Page 59 of 77 FirstFirst ... 9 49 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 69 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,950 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

I remember that test! If they saw the little bumps within a circle - TB! Flop sweat time!!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Did anyone have a wooden sled?
    Nope. A piece a cardboard, from a 'fridge did the trick right nicely!!

Anyone remember the pre-inline skates? The ones with the steel wheels? You could adjust them with a metal key.

G.I. Joe with the Kung-Fu Grip?

Water guns [[with out the water tank on your back/hose/attachments; setting that could put a hold on concrete) had a small stopper, you had crazy fun for hours!

Play doh?

Checkers? Backgammon? Operation? Connect Four?

A water hose? Water balloons?

Tag? Green Light? Anything sandlot?

10- speed? Frisbee? Holla-hoop? Army men? [[Toy Story)

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Anyone remember the pre-inline skates? The ones with the steel wheels? You could adjust them with a metal key.

Water guns [[with out the water tank on your back/hose/attachments; setting that could put a hold on concrete) had a small stopper, you had crazy fun for hours!

Play doh?

I loved Play Doh. It had this neat [[unusal) smell. It also tasted very
    salty....OK...what kid never tasted Play Doh!

I'm too old for in-line skates...but, as a little kid I remember these metal skates you'd
    clamp onto your shoes. They'd easily come off and you'd damn near break your neck!
    Last edited by lakeside; 06-24-2019 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I remember sledding in the park as a kid on a wooden sled. In the summer time, we'd take big pieces of cardboard to the top of a hill near the railroad tracks and slide down on the dirt, gravel and grass. The hill was about 35 feet high and had about a 45 degree angle. We called it Kill Hill.

Kids don't need a whole lot to have fun.
    You got that right. Kids, THEN didn't need a whole lot to have fun. I remember as a kid, my buddies Mark, Rich and Jack after a good rain, would sit on the curb on our street and race popsicle sticks down the gutter, in the rain water to see which once would get to the sewer first and fall in! LOL! We were real creative kids back then. Mark has passed away, I haven't seen Jack in well over 15 years and I see Rich from time to time at the park for school reunions.

Yah!! Ice cream truck fave!��
    I remember them from before the ice cream trucks became the standard. I remember "The Popsicle Boy". These were older kids that road through the neighborhoods on bikes with this refrigerated box attached to the front and bells on the handle bar to let you know they were coming. LOL! They really weren't refrigerated. They use to pack the box with dry ice that we would beg them to let us have pieces to "smoke".

This will give you an idea of what I am talking about, except in my town the boxes were light aqua blue in color. Look closely and you will notice the bells on the bar....

Name:  Popsicle boy bike.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  65.0 KB

Remember these? I was just explaining to my nephew [[who is now 33 years old!)what these were and that they were our favorites when I was a kid:

Attachment 15945
    I used to prefer ice cream sandwiches. Especially when the cookies were crisp and cold enough that they broke when you bite them. I didn't like Bomb Pops.

BTW: Remember when you didn't blow your top when you heard the ice cream truck playing one of the most racist songs in American history? Sometimes, knowledge can do that to you.

Play doh?

Tetherball? That could be a professional sport that I'd pay to see.

Two square or four square? Also could be a professional sport.

Hop scotch. Curb ball. Jacks. Duck-duck-goose. Musical chairs. Hide and go seek. Of course, tag and Olly, Olly In Free [[Olly Olly Oxen Free in other places).

And then there were the dangerous games: Smear the Queer [[Rugby, where one kid would face off against up to 10 others). Bebogees [[where you'd get punched in the chest every time you said a word beginning with "B"). Hot hands [[holding hands on a friends hands and seeing if he could move his fast enough to smack yours before you moved them). Knuckles [[pulling back a pencil and letting it go so it smacked your buddy's knuckles; this went back and forth until somebody gave up or the pencil broke). Indian burns [[rubbing your hand across somebody's wrist to create a burning sensation). Dodge ball [[no explanation needed). And Frog [[punching somebody in his Bicep with a knuckle or raised finger hard enough to see the muscle 'jump' involuntarily). I'm sure there were more. LOL. Boys are weird.

I used to prefer ice cream sandwiches. Especially when the cookies were crisp and cold enough that they broke when you bite them. I didn't like Bomb Pops.

BTW: Remember when you didn't blow your top when you heard the ice cream truck playing one of the most racist songs in American history? Sometimes, knowledge can do that to you.
    Jerry, what was the song? We didn't understand shit about racism when I was kid. I know that's strange being we grew up in the 60s and 70s.

Hop scotch. Curb ball. Jacks. Duck-duck-goose. Musical chairs. Hide and go seek. Of course, tag and Olly, Olly In Free [[Olly Olly Oxen Free in other places).

And then there were the dangerous games: Smear the Queer [[Rugby, where one kid would face off against up to 10 others). Bebogees [[where you'd get punched in the chest every time you said a word beginning with "B"). Hot hands [[holding hands on a friends hands and seeing if he could move his fast enough to smack yours before you moved them). Knuckles [[pulling back a pencil and letting it go so it smacked your buddy's knuckles; this went back and forth until somebody gave up or the pencil broke). Indian burns [[rubbing your hand across somebody's wrist to create a burning sensation). Dodge ball [[no explanation needed). And Frog [[punching somebody in his Bicep with a knuckle or raised finger hard enough to see the muscle 'jump' involuntarily). I'm sure there were more. LOL. Boys are weird.
    You guys didn't play "Kill the man with the ball"? LOL! We'd make sure a kid we all didn't like got the football and then we'd destroy him! LOL!

Nicer games like "Freeze Tag" and "I Spy" were popular too.

You guys didn't play "Kill the man with the ball"? LOL! We'd make sure a kid we all didn't like got the football and then we'd destroy him! LOL!

Nicer games like "Freeze Tag" and "I Spy" were popular too.
    LOL. We played freeze tag and I spy too. Kill the Man With the Ball sounds like Smear the Queer. Somebody would throw a ball in the air and whoever caught it better run for the end zone or he'd get crushed. If he got tackled, he had to throw the ball up in the air and it would go the other way. Sometimes, a dozen boys would be playing and it was brutal. But that's really just Rugby with one guy going against a bunch of others.

I forgot to mention H-O-R-S-E, Make 'Em, Take 'Em, Chicago and Any Bounce Or Fly. Man, we had a bunch of games to play!

Oh, and about that ice cream song:

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...t-news-for-you

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  21.1 KB
    The ice cream cart's song isn't racist. BOTH That AND the racist song were just borrowing the tune from the old American folk song, "Turkey In The Straw".

LOL. We played freeze tag and I spy too. Kill the Man With the Ball sounds like Smear the Queer. Somebody would throw a ball in the air and whoever caught it better run for the end zone or he'd get crushed. If he got tackled, he had to throw the ball up in the air and it would go the other way. Sometimes, a dozen boys would be playing and it was brutal. But that's really just Rugby with one guy going against a bunch of others.

I forgot to mention H-O-R-S-E, Make 'Em, Take 'Em, Chicago and Any Bounce Or Fly. Man, we had a bunch of games to play!

Oh, and about that ice cream song:

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...t-news-for-you
    Oh sure I remember that music from the ice trucks. I think they still play it.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    The ice cream cart's song isn't racist. BOTH That AND the racist song were just borrowing the tune from the old American folk song, "Turkey In The Straw".
    That was Square Dance music right?

The melody's association with ice cream came through the lyrics of the song. Except for those words, which specifically mentioned ice cream, it's not likely we'd hear it to this day.

The melody's association with ice cream came through the lyrics of the song. Except for those words, which specifically mentioned ice cream, it's not likely we'd hear it to this day.
    I do very much remember the tune, not just in Ohio and Michigan, but also in NY on Long Island. I have not seen an ice cream truck so far this summer. Thanks for the info Jerry and you too Robb.

Bomb Pops, for some reason melted faster than eveything else. So you wound up with a multicolored tongue & clothes, shoes!!

Truth be told: Frog was painful, capital P!

Views: 290
    Yes, indeedy!

Views: 290
    Yes, indeedy!
    Believe it or not,but I did some Square Dancing in Colorado to the "Cotton Eye Gin" LOL!!!

Square dancing was part of gym class in high school. "Oh the pain. The pain."

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    I loved Play Doh. It had this neat [[unusal) smell. It also tasted very
    salty....OK...what kid never tasted Play Doh!

I'm too old for in-line skates...but, as a little kid I remember these metal skates you'd
    clamp onto your shoes. They'd easily come off and you'd damn near break your neck!
    My brother George use to eat Play Doh. He would eat Elmer's Glue too. He was nasty and my Mom had to spank him a lot.

Truth be told: Frog was painful, capital P!
    Good to know we weren't the only idjits playing that stupid game.

you got that right. Kids, then didn't need a whole lot to have fun. I remember as a kid, my buddies mark, rich and jack after a good rain, would sit on the curb on our street and race popsicle sticks down the gutter, in the rain water to see which once would get to the sewer first and fall in! Lol! We were real creative kids back then. Mark has passed away, i haven't seen jack in well over 15 years and i see rich from time to time at the park for school reunions.
    hey marv,did you ever just pick up two sticks and pretend that they were fighting?

Hey remember saying this as a kid?..beans,beans good for your heart,the more you eat the more you fart the more you fart the better you feel,so eat them beans for every meal!

Yep. And also "10 little Indians, sleeping in the bed when the little one said 'roll over, roll over'... So they all rolled over and one fell out..." Of course this continued until the last little Indian was in bed alone and said he was lonely.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    hey marv,did you ever just pick up two sticks and pretend that they were fighting?
    Oh yeah, sure. We did everything. We even use to make our own sling shots by taking a wire hanger, bending it and molding it into a "U" and a handle. We cut up a pair of old sneakers and use the material to hold the rocks and rubberbands tied together to give it it's "sling" LOL!

Hey remember saying this as a kid?..beans,beans good for your heart,the more you eat the more you fart the more you fart the better you feel,so eat them beans for every meal!
    I remember we use to say that and we also use to sing the dirty Batman theme LOL!

Yep. And also "10 little Indians, sleeping in the bed when the little one said 'roll over, roll over'... So they all rolled over and one fell out..." Of course this continued until the last little Indian was in bed alone and said he was lonely.

I remember that one too. Here's one we use to say "Your left, your left, your left, right, left. My back is aching my shoes too tight my booty shaking for left to right, your' left, your left, your left, right, left!" LOL!

Don't even get me started on playing "Bullsh*t" under the street lights in the summer. LOL! You know "the Prince of Wales was walking down the street and step in a pile of bullsh*t, who sh*t...etc,etc,etc" LOL!

Well, since you brought up standing under street lights, every brother in the USA has to have played the Dozens. The most brutal and friendship-testing game imaginable.

"Ya mom's so stupid, they put her brain in a bird and that b**** started flying backwards!"
    "Ya mom's so fat, she stopped going to the beach because every time she tried to lay down on a blanket, people pushed her in the water saying 'Save the whales!'"

Well, since you brought up standing under street lights, every brother in the USA has to have played the Dozens. The most brutal and friendship-testing game imaginable.

"Ya mom's so stupid, they put her brain in a bird and that b**** started flying backwards!"
    "Ya mom's so fat, she stopped going to the beach because every time she tried to lay down on a blanket, people pushed her in the water saying 'Save the whales!'"
    You're killin' me Jerry! LOL! Ok here's one. "Yo mama's hair is so short, you can smell the b*tch's brains!" LOL!!!!

"Your mama's so old that I saw a picture in y'all's photo album of her and Moses having a cup of tea."

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...jonin,man we had fun..yo momma is so fat..haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! !!

The Dozens were so wrong. The only thing more truly emblematic of black male culture is the barber shop debate.

Hey jerry,the barber shop is where true black history is taught!!

believe it or not,but i did some square dancing in colorado to the "cotton eye gin" lol!!!
    we used to think that square dancing was for squares...until we saw those chicks,then it was-swing your pardner round an round,hehehe!

this will give you an idea of what i am talking about, except in my town the boxes were light aqua blue in color. Look closely and you will notice the bells on the bar....

Name:  Popsicle boy bike.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  65.0 KB
    marv,the liquor store guy had a bike like that too,but he wasn't delivering ice pops,hehehe.

The Dozens were so wrong. The only thing more truly emblematic of black male culture is the barber shop debate.
    Oh we do that in New York right to this day! Who could starred in "Blade" other than Wesley Snipes? Stuff like that! LOL! My barber shop is a block and half from the Atlantic Ocean shoreline and whenever it gets really windy and rains, you smell fish in the air LOL!!!

marv,the liquor store guy had a bike like that too,but he wasn't delivering ice pops,hehehe.
    Nooo, really? Now I remember the milkman making home deliveries, but the liquor store too? Dang, y'all must have been rich! LOL!!!!

we used to think that square dancing was for squares...until we saw those chicks,then it was-swing your pardner round an round,hehehe!
    That's exactly why we did it! In the early 80s the "Urban Cowboy" was the ITT! We use to go to this big popular place called "Bobby McGees" and all the women were were those tight jeans, bloused that opened down to there and their cute little cowgirl boots LOL! Square dance time!

nooo, really? Now i remember the milkman making home deliveries, but the liquor store too? Dang, y'all must have been rich! Lol!!!!
    no,just thirsty!!

That's exactly why we did it! In the early 80s the "Urban Cowboy" was the ITT! We use to go to this big popular place called "Bobby McGees" and all the women were were those tight jeans, bloused that opened down to there and their cute little cowgirl boots LOL! Square dance time!
    I worked with a Native American girl named Jennifer at a grocery store. She was really cute. Her dad used to stop in my line and we talked all the time, very cool guy. Jennifer was always kind of reserved but when Urban Cowboy came out, it changed her world. She became more open, started wearing cowgirl hats and boots and every Thursday and weekend night, and was literally a different person. Her father didn't know what happened to her.

Urban Cowboy was a good movie. It's hard to explain to people that country music was a dying genre that had been put on AM and breathing its last gasp before that movie changed everything. It went from being a fringe radio format to being second only to top 40. We had three FM radio stations in Columbus and two of them lasted for more than 20 years. In my opinion, Dolly and Kenny almost ruined the genre with their pop crossover pablum. But that movie made the Mickey Gilleys, Willie Nelsons, Waylon Jennings, Loretta Lynns and George Joneses of the world into superstars.

The only other thing I recall that was like it was Saturday Night Fever, which also created a huge cultural shift [[and almost ruined black music). No offense intended with the "black music" reference. Too bad nobody ever made a great movie about the blues or reggae or jazz. Being honest, those are formats that translate into "lived happily ever after" stories. So I doubt they'd have the same impact on the culture.

I learned that from my mum, so that could be in the thread "Things Your Mom and Dad Said".

Heavens. I didn't know we were beginning to be getting politically correct in the UK in the fifties. When I learned that, it just went "There were ten in the bed and the little one said, 'Roll over, roll over' ". No mention of ethnicity.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Heavens. I didn't know we were beginning to be getting politically correct in the UK in the fifties. When I learned that, it just went "There were ten in the bed and the little one said, 'Roll over, roll over' ". No mention of ethnicity.
    LOL. You weren't politically correct, 144man. We've always been politically incorrect on this side of pond. If I had to guess, the version you heard was the original and somebody over here decided to throw race into it... because. That's what You Know Who means when he wants to make America grate again.

Hey marv,the local liquor store just had deliveries and dig this...nobody ever robbed the guy either and in the early sixties nobody in my hood had credit cards so it was cash up front,that guy put many miles on that ol bike..those were the days!!

I worked with a Native American girl named Jennifer at a grocery store. She was really cute. Her dad used to stop in my line and we talked all the time, very cool guy. Jennifer was always kind of reserved but when Urban Cowboy came out, it changed her world. She became more open, started wearing cowgirl hats and boots and every Thursday and weekend night, and was literally a different person. Her father didn't know what happened to her.

Urban Cowboy was a good movie. It's hard to explain to people that country music was a dying genre that had been put on AM and breathing its last gasp before that movie changed everything. It went from being a fringe radio format to being second only to top 40. We had three FM radio stations in Columbus and two of them lasted for more than 20 years. In my opinion, Dolly and Kenny almost ruined the genre with their pop crossover pablum. But that movie made the Mickey Gilleys, Willie Nelsons, Waylon Jennings, Loretta Lynns and George Joneses of the world into superstars.

The only other thing I recall that was like it was Saturday Night Fever, which also created a huge cultural shift [[and almost ruined black music). No offense intended with the "black music" reference. Too bad nobody ever made a great movie about the blues or reggae or jazz. Being honest, those are formats that translate into "lived happily ever after" stories. So I doubt they'd have the same impact on the culture.
    The "Urban Cowboy" fad was in response to Disco when they tried killing it off. We knew that. The artists I liked most during those days was Eddie Rabbitt and he was from Jersey may he rest in peace!

Hey marv,the local liquor store just had deliveries and dig this...nobody ever robbed the guy either and in the early sixties nobody in my hood had credit cards so it was cash up front,that guy put many miles on that ol bike..those were the days!!
    Ok now I understand. That was in the early 60s when people were more civilized. Can you imagine a liquor delivery man today? It would never work.

Haaaaaaaaaaaa..he'd need an armored truck and a squad of marines!!