[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Queen Of MotownTo Perform At Platinum Jubilee Concert Celebrating The Queen's Reign

Queen Of Motowm To Perform At Platinum Jubilee Concert Celebrating The Queen's Reign
    Diana Ross is to headline a special BBC concert marking the Platinum Jubilee.

Diana Ross’s visit to the UK this summer will include a performance at Glastonbury as well as the Jubilee concert
    RICK KERN/GETTY IMAGES FOR AIDS HEALTHCARE FOUNDATION
    Jake Kanter, Media Correspondent
    Tuesday May 17 2022, 10.30pm, The Times
    Save
    Diana Ross is to headline a special BBC concert marking the Platinum Jubilee. The former Supremes singer will close the Platinum Party at the Palace on Saturday, June 4.

Ross, 78, has not taken to a stage in the UK since 2007 during her I Love You tour. She was meant to tour Britain in 2020 but her plans were derailed by the pandemic. Her performance at the Platinum Party at the Palace is her first in a series of UK dates, including the Sunday afternoon “legends” slot at Glastonbury on June 26.

The singer will be one of the centrepieces of the Jubilee concert, which will be staged on a vast circular platform on the Victoria Memorial. Other acts include Queen, which will evoke memories of Brian May playing God Save The Queen on the roof of Buckingham Palace for the Golden Jubilee in 2002. Duran Duran and Andrea Bocelli have also signed up, with the BBC expected to announce the full line-up this week.

This is one of the greatest honours , I can’t wait to see this

This is the worlds greatest honour , as the haters remain silent , this why they call her Diana Ross

She was flawless last time she performed for the queen in 1992

My hats off to Diana and I am sure she will bring the house down.

What an incredible privilege for Diana. I just hope she doesn’t let our beloved queen down.

On this morning's TODAY SHOW, they did a short story on the upcoming concert. They mentioned some of the artists taking part and said that Diana was going to be the closing act.

They also noted that this wouldn't be the first time that Diana had performed before the Queen. They showed a photo of the Supremes meeting the Queen Mother in 1968. Then they showed a brief clip of Diana's 1992 Royal Variety Performance, although oddly, the original audio was replaced with GETTIN' READY FOR LOVE. Diana's segment ended with a recent photo and a quote of how honored she is to be performing before the Queen.
    Last edited by reese; 05-20-2022 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    What an incredible privilege for Diana. I just hope she doesn’t let our beloved queen down.
    I think her son Andrew gets top prize in the letting down category.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    I think her son Andrew gets top prize in the letting down category.
    Spot on Roberta. Always a rather odious person from everything i have ever been told.

"Get the queen her smelling salts. This is a different Diana that's returning."

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    "Get the queen her smelling salts. This is a different Diana that's returning."
    As long as no sound monitors are kicked off stage I’ll be happy.
    I wonder how familiar Liz is with “I Will Survive”.? She certainly will be after this.

"tell me jeeves, who is the young whipper snapper? some runner up on America's Got Talent I presume??"

Spot on Roberta. Always a rather odious person from everything i have ever been told.
    Nearly met him once in the 1980s. He was supposed to come and watch The Royal Household team play us at darts, but at the last moment his bodyguards wouldn't let him attend for security reasons.

I am so pleased Diana has been given this honour.

With the Queen's Jubilee, Glastonbury and a potential new hit single around the corner - it doesn't get any better than this for Diana. She is literally all over the news and internet here in the U.K.
    I'm so happy for her.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    On this morning's TODAY SHOW, they did a short story on the upcoming concert. They mentioned some of the artists taking part and said that Diana was going to be the closing act.

They also noted that this wouldn't be the first time that Diana had performed before the Queen. They showed a photo of the Supremes meeting the Queen Mother in 1968. Then they showed a brief clip of Diana's 1992 Royal Variety Performance, although oddly, the original audio was replaced with GETTIN' READY FOR LOVE. Diana's segment ended with a recent photo and a quote of how honored she is to be performing before the Queen.
    those are two different queens. Queen Elizabeth II was not in attendance at the 68 Royal Command Performance with DRATS. it was the Queen Mother along with Princess Anne, Prince Charles, Princess Margaret.

Has Diana actually performed for the current queen?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    those are two different queens. Queen Elizabeth II was not in attendance at the 68 Royal Command Performance with DRATS. it was the Queen Mother along with Princess Anne, Prince Charles, Princess Margaret.

Has Diana actually performed for the current queen?
    I should have written that the show stated that this wasn't the first time that Diana performed before royalty.

Diana performed before Queen Elizabeth II at the 1992 Royal Variety Show.

... I'm dying to make a comment about Diana performing before another queen [[me), yet I believe that would be tasteless and vainglorious. So I won't say it.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Then they showed a brief clip of Diana's 1992 Royal Variety Performance, although oddly, the original audio was replaced with GETTIN' READY FOR LOVE.
    They took that from Diana's Instagram, as that same clip was posted on her Instagram yesterday, with Gettin' Ready For Love as the background music.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    ... I'm dying to make a comment about Diana performing before another queen [[me), yet I believe that would be tasteless and vainglorious. So I won't say it.
    Glad you didn't say it. Writing it, however,...

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I have front row seats with a pal for her show at the O2 next month. Believe me..Diana will be performing for hundreds of Queens when she visits the U.K!

It would be interesting to know how the ticket dales for the concerts are going.

Worryingly, there seems to be a lot of advertising for them.

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    I have front row seats with a pal for her show at the O2 next month. Believe me..Diana will be performing for hundreds of Queens when she visits the U.K!
    Nothing changes except the number now using walking sticks and ear trumpets!

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Lol. You're probably right John. But I'm not quite there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    What say??? Can you speak a little louder?

“Where am I? Who is that woman up there?”

Having Diana Ross doing this event is the greatest honour in the world so there you go haters Karma will get you

Quote Originally Posted by after you View Post
    Having Diana Ross doing this event is the greatest honour in the world so there you go haters Karma will get you
    I would say her receiving the Medal Of Freedom and the Lifetime Achievement Award pip this. Only a hater would make light of such accomplishments. For this you are heading in one direction only, and it’s not going to be heaven.

Go fly a kite you creep of creeps you are the most nasty one on here by far

Go fly a kite you creep of creeps you are the most nasty one on here by far
    Ollie understands how frustrating it might be when grownups might not always agree with your point of view. A learning curve indeed. I just wish i was there right now to lend you a comforting hug.

The only thing is your point of view is always of hate so maybe you need a hug

The only thing is your point of view is always of hate so maybe you need a hug
    I don't see any evidence of hate, jealously, or sour grapes from anyone on this thread, except for you, who must be disappointed that no one is taking shots at Diana Ross or being all bitter about her getting this honor to perform and close out the Platinum jubilee show.

But to make you happy after you, here's some red meat/sour grapes: "Diana Ross must have slept with members of the royal family to get this gig. This honor should have gone to Sheila Ferguson or Dame Shirley Bassey. This makes me angry. The royal family should be abolished for having that Ross woman perform at the jubilee. I'm so jealous of Diane I can't stand it and I don't know what to do!".

That better?

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    With the Queen's Jubilee, Glastonbury and a potential new hit single around the corner - it doesn't get any better than this for Diana. She is literally all over the news and internet here in the U.K.
    I'm so happy for her.

As a fan from outside the UK [[the Netherlands in fact), we get BBC1 and BBC2, the jubilee will be broadcasted on BBC1 and I've read somewhere that it will be a medley.

Glastonbury setlist not sure, but I don't have high hopes. Does any of the UK fans know if the "Legends Slot" will be broadcasted live on BBC1 or BBC2? BBC3, BBC4 and the iPlayer are not available here.

My last hope is that at least we get some new dresses. Or will it be the gold one, the green one, the blue one?

I hope she has turn up the sunshine and if the world just danced along with a beautiful stunning new gown , maybe she can get every one on stage and dance to the song if the world just danced

According to TV listings, Saturday's BBC1 broadcasting times are 19.30 - 22.30.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    According to TV listings, Saturday's BBC1 broadcasting times are 19.30 - 22.30.
    Thanks, of course that is UK time.

Any news if the Legends slot is being broadcasted on BBC 1 or BBC 2?

1382 hitsville, also from the Netherlands I have used the BBC iplayer before but you need a VPN to change your country of origin. I use Hola Free VPN.

Jack020, thanks for the valuable tip! I watch a lot of BBC. Thanks again!

Now just hope the medley is not the same as the one she is using for 30 years, another hope for a change in the setlist for Glastonbury....but the least we can hope for....a new dress!

Quote Originally Posted by 1382hitsville View Post
    Now just hope the medley is not the same as the one she is using for 30 years, another hope for a change in the setlist for Glastonbury....but the least we can hope for....a new dress!
    Depending on the time slot, it would probably work well if she incorporated both Supremes and solo hits into one medley. I would be surprised if she didn’t perform “When You Tell Me That You Love Me” in its entirety, as it was a huge UK hit for her twice over.
    I’m not so bothered about a new frock, as long as she sounds good.

What are the chances that she will perform Theme from Mahogany/Ain't No Mountain High Enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    What are the chances that she will perform Theme from Mahogany/Ain't No Mountain High Enough?
    Not very likely i would have thought. I would imagine she will stick with songs she performs on a regular basis.
    I’m just praying she leaves out “I Will Survive’” This is not the right occasion.

Depending on the time slot, it would probably work well if she incorporated both Supremes and solo hits into one medley. I would be surprised if she didn’t perform “When You Tell Me That You Love Me” in its entirety, as it was a huge UK hit for her twice over.
    I’m not so bothered about a new frock, as long as she sounds good.
    Ollie, you are right. As long as she sounds good, that is the most important thing. I hope she trains her vocals.

Vocal cords are a muscle and needs to be trained.

Not very likely i would have thought. I would imagine she will stick with songs she performs on a regular basis.
    I’m just praying she leaves out “I Will Survive’” This is not the right occasion.
    She will probably do something like Best Years of My Life, a song that she occasionally performs, but that no one but the die hards know.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    She will probably do something like Best Years of My Life, a song that she occasionally performs, but that no one but the die hards know.
    I cant see her performing “Best Years”, as that would shift the focus entirely on her as opposed to it being celebration of the queens long reign.
    I’m expecting “Coming Out” a Supremes medley, “Upside “Down” “Mahogany/Mountain. She might also perform “Thank You”, but I’m kind of hoping she doesn’t for this occasion.
    I’m really looking forward to it, with some friends coming over for a glass of fizz. If your in the area feel free.

Chain Reaction, I’m Still Waiting, and If We Hold on Together.

BTW, how do we watch it live in America, east coast?
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 06-03-2022 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Chain Reaction, I’m Still Waiting, and If We Hold on Together.

BTW, how do we watch it live in America, east coast?
    It's on ABC TV at 8 pm tonight

You can also watch a BBC live stream of the concert via YouTube [link below]. The concert is currently underway. You can rewind if you want to.

https://youtu.be/Sig24-pQDBo

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    You can also watch a BBC live stream of the concert via YouTube [link below]. The concert is currently underway. You can rewind if you want to.

https://youtu.be/Sig24-pQDBo
    Thanks for the info.

I was very happy and pleased to see that Diana Ross would be a headliner for Queen Elizabeth's Jubilee. It is a great honor and a testament to her talent and endurance as an entertainer. I wish her the best of luck. I am sure all of the Motown artists are proud of her. I wish her well with this prestigious engagement.