[REMOVE ADS]

Dionne Warwick Feted In Washington For AIDS Advocacy

Ms. Dionne looking fine and getting a well-deserved day of recognition.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ecc4e9b0237a

Well deserved for Dionne. She's been an advocate for fighting AIDS for over 30 years.

Dionne Warwick and her friends were working hard to raise funding for AIDS research long before it became "popular". She was doing it during the Reagan Administration and you know how much he cared.....

Coppelia-Birdsong Guest
    Gosh I just love this classy lovely lady

Quote Originally Posted by Coppelia-Birdsong View Post
    Gosh I just love this classy lovely lady
    A life well-lived, and a talent for the ages - that's for sure. Veering a bit, I think I would have liked to see a B'way musical based on Dionne's life and work more than Donna's [[though I hear the Donna musical is a blast ...)

Maybe I am wrong, but wasn't there a scandal about how Dionne spent some of the charity's money?

That was the Psychic Friends Network

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Dionne Warwick and her friends were working hard to raise funding for AIDS research long before it became "popular". She was doing it during the Reagan Administration and you know how much he cared.....

These old Dionne performances always get me. I believe this was also a notable year for Elton John, who left behind his drug use and released what his fans see as his comeback, after throat surgery and uneven 80s material.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Maybe I am wrong, but wasn't there a scandal about how Dionne spent some of the charity's money?
    The ABC program DAY ONE did an expose of Dionne's fundraising activities. Keeping it brief, it came down to although Dionne's intentions were good and she certainly increased awareness, there were instances where the charities didn't get as much money as they thought they would because the expenses for putting on the benefits took a good share of the proceeds.

Quote Originally Posted by loganjlr View Post
    These old Dionne performances always get me. I believe this was also a notable year for Elton John, who left behind his drug use and released what his fans see as his comeback, after throat surgery and uneven 80s material.
    I forget if it was '88 or '89 when Elton began his recovery from throat surgery, drug/alcohol food bingeing, etc. but yeah it was the same time that stuff started. Think he had stopped using drugs and drinking but after seeing himself blew up to a certain weight, he went on his diet in '90 and reemerged thinner a year later.

Coppelia-Birdsong Guest
    It's Donna Summer, how could it not be!

But really if I can have half as many accomplishments as Dionne by her age I'll be dead happy with myself.

Dionne Warwick is one of my favorite singers. I love her 60s material the best. She made some of the best music ever!