[REMOVE ADS]

Covers The Supremes Could Have Had a Hit With

What songs do you think the Supremes could've had hits with had their version of the song been released before the more famous version? "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted"? "Stormy"? "Same Old Song"? "Love Train"? Anything?

I think with some punching up, the Supremes' original version of "It's the Same Old Song" would've been a hit. Number one? I don't know. But I think definitely top 10.

I think their version of PUT YOURSELF IN MY PLACE would have made a nice a-side. I also think their versions of SHAKE ME WAKE ME and BABY I NEED YOUR LOVING are just as good as the originals by the Tops.

"Right Back Where We Started From" by Maxine Nightingale in 1975 would have been a hit for them.

This Old Heart

Shake Me Wake Me

Does your mama know about me

Love Makes me do foolish things

"Then", which I believe Four Tops released first.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I think their version of PUT YOURSELF IN MY PLACE would have made a nice a-side. I also think their versions of SHAKE ME WAKE ME and BABY I NEED YOUR LOVING are just as good as the originals by the Tops.
    Agreed. Also their fine version of I guess i'll always love you and Uptight.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Their version of "Put Yourself In My Place" had to grow on me. I love it now but I remember when I didn't. Still, I don't think I would've made it an A side. I agree about "Shake Me" and "Baby I Need Your Loving". To me the Supremes "Shake Me" is as good as the Tops. That part where Diana sings "As the tears stream down my face, I can't believe I've been replaced...", she hits me as hard as Levi does when he sings it. I love the Supremes' arrangement of "Baby I Need Your Loving". I do think it could've been a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    This Old Heart

Shake Me Wake Me

Does your mama know about me

Love Makes me do foolish things
    Definitely "This Old Heart of Mine". The jury [[in my brain) is out on "Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things".

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Agreed. Also their fine version of I guess i'll always love you and Uptight.
    Oh yes, "I Guess I'll Always Love You" could've been a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Their version of "Put Yourself In My Place" had to grow on me. I love it now but I remember when I didn't. Still, I don't think I would've made it an A side. I agree about "Shake Me" and "Baby I Need Your Loving". To me the Supremes "Shake Me" is as good as the Tops. That part where Diana sings "As the tears stream down my face, I can't believe I've been replaced...", she hits me as hard as Levi does when he sings it. I love the Supremes' arrangement of "Baby I Need Your Loving". I do think it could've been a hit.
    Diana's reading of "As the tears stream down my face...," gets me every time I play it. I also like her breakdown at the end of BABY I NEED YOUR LOVING: "In the midnight hour when I'm reminiscing, I start feeling blue..."

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Definitely "This Old Heart of Mine". The jury [[in my brain) is out on "Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things".
    i'm only a "somewhat" fan of MRATV so i've certainly not listened to her original all that much. frankly Martha's vibrato can get grating - especially on her late 60s content when she warbles all over the place.

Listening to Diana's Love Makes Me Do in and of itself, it's a strong performance. Diana attacks it with passion and the backing track is lush.

Shake me wake me
    This old heart of mine
    Love makes me do foolish things

I do like Love Train. The original is best but I like it.orefers if the backing vocals were more prominent

I really like The Supremes' version of "These Boots Are Made For Walking"

I also love their version of "Love The One You're With"!!!

Totally agree with "This Old Heart Of Mine" as well.

^ I agree with "Love the One You're With".