[REMOVE ADS]

Gee Whiz...who could have covered it well?

Hi all,
    Yesterday I heard Carla Thomas' "Gee Whiz" on the radio. She does an outstanding job!

The I got to wondering who at Motown could have done a really good cover version? My picks are as follows, in no particular order:

Supremes: Diana would have done the lead very well, I think, had they recorded it not too early in their career as Diana's voice and technique improved over time.
    The Miracles: I think Claudette would have done an exceptional job.

Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Hi all,
    Yesterday I heard Carla Thomas' "Gee Whiz" on the radio. She does an outstanding job!

The I got to wondering who at Motown could have done a really good cover version? My picks are as follows, in no particular order:

Supremes: Diana would have done the lead very well, I think, had they recorded it not too early in their career as Diana's voice and technique improved over time.
    The Miracles: I think Claudette would have done an exceptional job.

Your thoughts?
    "Gee Whiz" as sung by Carla Thomas requires an understated, jazz voice, subtle to carry it off. I know these ladies were not all from Motown, but, Chaka Khan does that better than most. Also, Anita Baker could handle it, Shirley Murdock or even Carolyn Crawford.

Cal Street of the Velvelettes could do it justice. Brenda H. , maybe, but Rosalind Ashford of the Vandellas ,definitely!

Mary Wells could have done a great job with that song!

I think that Martha & the Vandellas, The Marvelettes [[with either Gladys or Wanda doing the lead) or The Miracles [[with Claudette doing the lead) could do a good remake of Carla Thomas' classic "Gee Whiz".

I also think Mary Wells would do justice to that song.

I'm hearing-mary wells-wanda rodgers.

You know, in thinking about a jazzy interpretation such as @marv2 suggested, "Gee Whiz" would almost be a standard in the same vein as "Guess Who," for example. I don't think I've ever heard anyone else sing "Gee Whiz" except CT but Anita Baker sounds awesome!

Patrice Holloway

Syreeta would have sounded good on it too.

I will take it up a notch and in the 70's with the Dynamic Superiors.

My goodness, Gladys Knight, who else!!??!! ��

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    My goodness, Gladys Knight, who else!!??!! ��
    Gladys would have sounded great on it the way she sang very early on in her career, like in the early 60s.

I guess that several Motown artists could have covered this to satisfy the listening ear, however, the version by Carla Thomas is the great performance anyone could give to this song. Gee Whiz by Carla is in the same category as Respect by Aretha Franklin. Carla and Aretha gets a 99.9% rating and I doubt anyone could do a greater performance on either.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I guess that several Motown artists could have covered this to satisfy the listening ear, however, the version by Carla Thomas is the great performance anyone could give to this song. Gee Whiz by Carla is in the same category as Respect by Aretha Franklin. Carla and Aretha gets a 99.9% rating and I doubt anyone could do a greater performance on either.
    I agree. But I guess we have to forgive her for "Gee Whiz, it's Christmas." Now that song I could do without!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I agree. But I guess we have to forgive her for "Gee Whiz, it's Christmas." Now that song I could do without!
    I hate it when people do that. They get a huge it and milk the hell out of it. LOL!!!