[REMOVE ADS]

J5s THE LOVE YOU SAVE Was A Doubled-Sided Hit? [[& why isn't 'STOP!' in the title)

After The Jackson Five's THE LOVE YOU SAVE had peaked [[#1 for two weeks June 27 to July 4, 1970 ) , but while still in the Top Ten , Billboard started posting the record as a two sided hit: THE LOVE YOU SAVE /I FOUND THAT GIRL.

Curious that the song is in its fade stage that the b-side seems to get discovered ??? I don't recall ever hearing it on the radio, but apparently in some regions, on some stations .....

I remember I FOUND THAT GIRL from buying their GREATEST HITS package, makes more sense now that it was placed on there .
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-02-2020 at 05:58 PM.

There was a point when Billboard would list both sides of a single under the same position if both sides were getting airplay as opposed to listing them separately. Off the top of my head, the Beatles' COME TOGETHER and SOMETHING was listed this way, as well as quite a few others.

"I Found That Girl" was one of the best Jackson 5 B-sides. It must've received some air play for the song to get listed on Billboard along with "The Love You Save" & placed on the group's Greatest Hits collection [[as well as many subsequent J5 comps).

PS: It had to be a decision by Motown brass to exclude "Stop!" from the title of "The Love You Save" [[probably so it wouldn't get confused with another Motown Classic by The Supremes).

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    There was a point when Billboard would list both sides of a single under the same position if both sides were getting airplay as opposed to listing them separately. Off the top of my head, the Beatles' COME TOGETHER and SOMETHING was listed this way, as well as quite a few others.
    Yes , and isn't that how they always did it? Maybe not early on ...

I'm sure at times the double sided airplay would develop as the main title worked its way through the charts , but its my observation that by and large these two-siders enter the chart already split. Perhaps the record is already pressed geared to one song and then its too late to realize the record contains two viable hits, so push them both. Or maybe in other cases, its just a good economic move to have two strong songs selling a record .
    But I would be interested to know if anyone can come up with another example like this one for {STOP! }THE LOVE YOU SAVE , where the song has already peaked before the "b" side gets added to its charting stats.

The most recent two-sider for Motown before the J5 record, was Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell's CALIFORNIA SOUL/THE ONION SONG

It was listed as a split hit the entirety of its chart run.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-03-2020 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    "I Found That Girl" was one of the best Jackson 5 B-sides. It must've received some air play for the song to get listed on Billboard along with "The Love You Save" & placed on the group's Greatest Hits collection [[as well as many subsequent J5 comps).

PS: It had to be a decision by Motown brass to exclude "Stop!" from the title of "The Love You Save" [[probably so it wouldn't get confused with another Motown Classic by The Supremes).
    I think you're right , maybe for filing , licensing, legal purposes , Jobette thought distancing the two titles could avoid confusion. But how creative if Motown had created a run on their "STOP!" motif for song titles...

As for the title and concept of the love you save may be your own ....wiki suggests it was borrowed form this Joe Tex record:

and check out what happens at the one minute mark .
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-03-2020 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    I think you're right , maybe for filing , licensing, legal purposes , Jobette thought distancing the two titles could avoid confusion. But how creative if Motown had created a run on their "STOP!" motif for song titles...

As for the title and concept of the love you save may be your own ....wiki suggests it was borrowed form this Joe Tex record:

and check out what happens at the one minute mark .
    Ah yes; I'm pretty sure that 'The Corporation' was inspired by Joe Tex's wonderful "The
    Love You Save [[May Be You're Own)" from 1966 when they came up The Jackson 5's similarly named Classic [[and they both had that Stop! moment in their songs).

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Ah yes; I'm pretty sure that 'The Corporation' was inspired by Joe Tex's wonderful "The
    Love You Save [[May Be You're Own)" from 1966 when they came up The Jackson 5's similarly named Classic [[and they both had that Stop! moment in their songs).
    That's a pretty good song by Joe Tex. It didn't crack the Top 40, but it did get to #2 Soul, so it wasn't something obscure that Motown tapped into.

Also wiki mentions the original lyrics to STOP! THE LOVE YOU SAVE were centered around traffic references , I'm guessing this resulted from being inspired by the [[ traffic) "STOP" in the Joe Tex song, but I guess they felt it wasn't playing out too well so they abandoned the theme . The only line to survive in the final version was "darling look both ways before you cross me , you're headed for a danger zone" --- one of Motown's all-time best song lines imo ...

I seem to remember that I read somewhere long ago that either the Joe Tex song or the J5 song might have been inspired by a public service announcement. I did some searching and came across this:

Take notice of the last sentence in the above ad from 1955. I can't remember where I read that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Yes , and isn't that how they always did it? Maybe not early on ...

The most recent two-sider for Motown before the J5 record, was Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell's CALIFORNIA SOUL/THE ONION SONG

It was listed as a split hit the entirety of its chart run.
    That is interesting and probably explains why "The Onion Song" was only a minor hit in the US [[#50 Billboard) whereas it was the duos most successful hit here in the U.K, peaking at #9. The song should have been massive, particularly as it was released just after the untimely death of a Tammi.

"Stop! The Love You Save" doesn't make any sense, so why would they use that?

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    I seem to remember that I read somewhere long ago that either the Joe Tex song or the J5 song might have been inspired by a public service announcement. I did some searching and came across this:

Take notice of the last sentence in the above ad from 1955. I can't remember where I read that though.
    That is fascinating . Although the ad is from ten years prior [[maybe the message ran far longer), it seems more than a coincidence . Surely there is a connection. Song hooks often get inspired from somewhere. Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    "Stop! The Love You Save" doesn't make any sense, so why would they use that?
    That is what they sing .....

That title might add a bit of intrigue , as at first , it doesn't make sense as you say ... until you become familiar with the record.

STOP ! is a key concept of the song ... repeated throughout , even gets spelled out :

S is for "Save it"
    T is for "Take it slow"
    O is for "Oh, no!"
    P is for "Please, please, don't go!"

I suppose another approach to satisfy your objection could be this title:

"STOP! [[ THE LOVE YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR OWN) "

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    That is interesting and probably explains why "The Onion Song" was only a minor hit in the US [[#50 Billboard) whereas it was the duos most successful hit here in the U.K, peaking at #9. The song should have been massive, particularly as it was released just after the untimely death of a Tammi.

They did seem to put it on the back burner by making it the "b" side , but didn't discard it altogether in case it took on a life of its own I reckon.

Not sure why THE ONION SONG was released in the UK so far ahead of its release in the US? Maybe they were testing it , knowing it was fraudulent ... see if it could pass the muster and then when Tammi passed promoting it fully seemed especially unseemly ....

[[added: actually it seems ambiguous as to which sides are the single's A/B sides, and both CALIFORNIA SOUL and ONION SONG got their own individual promo pressings .
    . The CALIFORNIA SOUL side got a bonus push by its promo being on red vinyl....)

[[More added: Only THE ONION SONG side charted on the Soul Chart)..... hmmm... CALIFORNIA 'SOUL' did not chart on the 'Soul' Chart....
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 08-07-2020 at 02:57 PM.