[REMOVE ADS]

Where Did the Time Go????

Hard to believe this. I was just a mere baby [[wink) LOL!!!

Saturday Night Fever Turns 40!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...ver/958081001/

Hey marv...we're old,forty years passes in the blink of an eye,i remember being a kid and all the talk was about this guy named kennedy who was running for president-1960..the blink of an eye!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Hey marv...we're old,forty years passes in the blink of an eye,i remember being a kid and all the talk was about this guy named kennedy who was running for president-1960..the blink of an eye!!!
    JAI, I am with you. I getting that old feeling when I see movies about things that happened in my lifetime. I was telling some youngsters in the barbershop just the other day that I went to see the original Star Wars 40 years ago in September! They didn't even know the movie series was that old.

Still one of the greatest movie soundtracks of all time. When people saw the lines blur between R&B and top 40, they got nervous and rebelled against disco. It figures that an opportunity to bring two cultures together would be blown up for mostly racist reasons. Has a musical genre ever fallen to the wayside because people who like another genre more were against it? Should I wage a campaign against country or classical music? That's so stupid.

By the way, I love a lot of country and classical music, I was giving a "for instance". "Urban Cowboy" was another fantastic soundtrack and that movie also precipitated a cultural shift but there was no backlash against modern country music like there was against disco.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Still one of the greatest movie soundtracks of all time. When people saw the lines blur between R&B and top 40, they got nervous and rebelled against disco. It figures that an opportunity to bring two cultures together would be blown up for mostly racist reasons. Has a musical genre ever fallen to the wayside because people who like another genre more were against it? Should I wage a campaign against country or classical music? That's so stupid.

By the way, I love a lot of country and classical music, I was giving a "for instance". "Urban Cowboy" was another fantastic soundtrack and that movie also precipitated a cultural shift but there was no backlash against modern country music like there was against disco.
    The “Disco Sucks” backlash was deeply rooted in racism, misogyny and homophobia. Because this cultural phenomenon had women, gays and people of color at its forefront, some Neanderthals panicked and sought to destroy it.

But anyway, SNF was an incredible LP. I’ll never forget when my sister brought it home.

Jerry you are once again so very right on in your comments here. I watched it all happened and still do not completely understand.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    The “Disco Sucks” backlash was deeply rooted in racism, misogyny and homophobia. Because this cultural phenomenon had women, gays and people of color at its forefront, some Neanderthals panicked and sought to destroy it.

But anyway, SNF was an incredible LP. I’ll never forget when my sister brought it home.
    I went to see the movie 40 years ago this week! It really does not seem like it's been that long ago to me.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It really does not seem like it's been that long ago to me.
    Right Marv, we're still/always twenty in our minds. ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    Right Marv, we're still/always twenty in our minds. ;o)
    Phil that's true,but I know I'm not judging from how I had to rest after dancing a bit at a Christmas party last weekend. LOL! In the 70s we'd party all night and got up early the next day.

One of my best friends was a fan of Donna Pescow. I'll never forget that it seemed like he thought she was the cutest thing on screen. I barely noticed her, to be honest, but I remember her in this movie. I also remember how my sister liked Saturday Night Fever but when she came home she was more turned off by Angie's "friends" referring to her by the C-word than she was turned on by the rest of it.

Remember the scene where Bobby C jumps/falls off of the bridge? Well every time I drive over the Verranno-Narrows Bridge, I think of that scene.

In the 70s we'd party all night and got up early the next day.
    And sometimes we didn't even sleep ! Many psychedelic moments engraved in my memory.

I feel blessed to have been young at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by phil View Post
    And sometimes we didn't even sleep ! Many psychedelic moments engraved in my memory.

I feel blessed to have been young at that time.
    You and me both Phil.

Make it three here,yep we danced all night and didn't blink an eye,now if i blink i might fall asleep-hehehe!!!

Here I am around the time the movie came out. Remember these shirts and bell bottom pants? LOL!

Name:  Marvin Davis Scott High Campus 1977-78.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  67.9 KB

More recognition of the anniversary of "Saturday Night Fever". From CBS News:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/saturda...ever-turns-40/

here i am around the time the movie came out. Remember these shirts and bell bottom pants? Lol!

marv,you were one cool dude.

marv,you were one cool dude.
    Thanks JAI. I learned it all from you old pal. LOL!

Marv,we both went to the same school...old school!!

Marv,we both went to the same school...old school!!
    Old school, cool school! I mean it when I say this.......it will never be like that again and we had the best! We came through the best era.

Barbarino.....................

John Travolta reflects on 40 years of ‘Fever’

http://www.dailycommercial.com/enter...years-of-fever

From the New York Times:
    Tony Manero Doesn’t Live Here Anymore,

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/14/n..._20171214&_r=0

wow, Marv we dressed a lot alike back then, LOL.pants were "flare legged".We would just call them "flares".My bother Randy had a similar "afro" too.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    wow, Marv we dressed a lot alike back then, LOL.pants were "flare legged".We would just call them "flares".My bother Randy had a similar "afro" too.
    Motony we did huh? I actually liked the wild prints on the shirts back then. I had a leather jacket almost identical to Travolta's in the movie a full year before the movie came out! The afro [[at least in my pic here) had been tamed and "reduced" from previous years when I had a huge "Sylvers Fro" LOL!!! Oh the good ole days........

I remember Jet Magazine writing this cover story making a huge deal out of the Bee Gee's having so many hits on the "R&B Charts" that year. This soundtrack and movie made an impact just like Beatlemania did in '64.

Hey, Jer. Would you put American Graffiti's soundtrack in that category?

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    I know you addressed your question to Jerry, but I'd like to chime in here. When "American Graffiti" came out around 1973-74, it still [[at least to me) a little too soon to get nostaglic over the early 60s since it was just 10 -12 years prior. I do not recall any noticeable shift in pop culture in terms of music and dress as it related to "American Graffitti". I do remember several of the actors from that film moving on to becoming well known in television and movies.

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    I agree with Marv about American Graffiti. It's biggest cultural impact was the reintroduction of Wolfman Jack to mainstream America. He was everywhere after that. Even hosted the Midnight Special. With that said, the music was fantastic and George Lucas absolutely killed it with its integration in the story. That's why so many movies cribbed it. Forrest Gump [[one of the greatest soundtracks if you love sixties rock, BTW). Hollywood Knights. Even the way John Landis used the Animal House soundtrack was influenced greatly by American Graffiti.

I'm not a huge George Lucas fan. He actually sucks as a director. But American Graffiti and Star Wars are among my favorite movies because he stumbled into movies that made the viewer feel good, even though they weren't artistic masterpieces. And the music in American Graffiti is the reason why it felt so good to watch it. The sequel sure sucked, though.

I know you addressed your question to Jerry, but I'd like to chime in here. When "American Graffiti" came out around 1973-74, it still [[at least to me) a little too soon to get nostaglic over the early 60s since it was just 10 -12 years prior. I do not recall any noticeable shift in pop culture in terms of music and dress as it related to "American Graffitti". I do remember several of the actors from that film moving on to becoming well known in television and movies.
    If I recall, Harrison Ford, Ron Howard [[although he was already known as Opie), Charlie Martin Smith, Richard Dreyfuss and Cindy Williams all went on to bigger and better things. And a few others as well.

Thanks, Marv and Jerry.

Here I am around the time the movie came out. Remember these shirts and bell bottom pants? LOL!

Good one Marv!

Old school, cool school! I mean it when I say this.......it will never be like that again and we had the best! We came through the best era.
    Many young people today agree with that. A friend of mines daughter said, "You all had the best music." That sentiment is expressed over and over in the comments under "Old School" music videos on You Tube.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    Many young people today agree with that. A friend of mines daughter said, "You all had the best music." That sentiment is expressed over and over in the comments under "Old School" music videos on You Tube.
    I've seen those comments too Mr_June. Thinking back on those days 60s, 70s even if everything weren't perfect, the music was and life in general for kids, teenagers and young adults was far better than today. I did not know anyone when I was growing up that was shot anywhere. I never thought about guns or drugs being a serious problem. I was lucky because I knew a lot of people and got along well with all of them. The music was important because it was a part of everyday at one point or another.

Again marv,you ain't never lied..we just went to school,rapped to the ladies and partied and went about our business,no thoughts of getting shot or killed and the elders were always respected..and these kids today wonder why we fondly recall...the old days!!