[REMOVE ADS]

The Undisputed Truth - "Law Of The Land" on Soul Show 'The Ebony Affair' [[1974)

This is the first time I've ever seen the Undisputed Truth perform [[lipsync) live on stage. I've always loved their version of "Law Of The Land" every bit as much as The Temptations' version -- maybe even a bit more. Those string passages on The UT's rendition are HOT!

Love This! Undisputed Truth's "Law Of The Land" is still a big favorite [and I like their version of the song more than The Tempts'] so it's great to see them performing the song. Thanks blackguy69 for sharing.

Who is the third girl ? Billy Rae Calvin, Brenda Joyce Evans and ?????

Quote Originally Posted by mjdestiny View Post
    Who is the third girl ? Billy Rae Calvin, Brenda Joyce Evans and ?????
    I've been wondering that myself. As rare as there has been live footage of the Undisputed
    Truth, rare too has always been for me an accurate telling of the groups history. One
    possibility is Virginia Macdonald who stepped in when Billy Rae and Brenda left...But then
    again when they do the camera in and out pans I say to myself Is that Taka Boom?...Anyway though this group did some great tracks they had no glue. No line stayed together for more than a few minutes.....Shame, they brought fire to Motown like none other...

I know that that's Joe Harris, but I don't recognize any of the three girls, nor was I aware that there were ever three girls in the UT. The group's "Law Of The Land" was released in 1973 -- the same year that Billie Calvin and Brenda Evans left the group. It's definitely Billie's and Brenda's unmistakable vocals on the record, but the three girls in the above video are unrecognizable to me. I met Bilie and Brenda during my 1971 tour of Motown's Donovan Building, and I know their faces from all of their album covers like the back of my hand. I may be wrong, but, to my eyes, the girls in the video are not them.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 07-11-2021 at 02:21 PM.

Yvonne Stevens aka Taka Boom, Chaka Khan's baby sister didn't officially join UT until
    1975 after singing back up for P funk. I loved her onstage with Pep and the crew....
    Talk about pushing envelopes!....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O271C69yeeU

The lady on the left is Pumpkin. She was a backup singer for Tom Jones! She never signed as a Undisputed Truth Member. She made her Transition some time ago.

Next to her is Diane Mathis. Diane sings with the Detroit gospel choir.

On the Law Of The Land recording. It was two different females. Maude Lee Mobley & Rita Harvey. Rita was a friend of Joe's.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    The lady on the left is Pumpkin. She was a backup singer for Tom Jones! She never signed as a Undisputed Truth Member. She made her Transition some time ago.

Next to her is Diane Mathis. Diane sings with the Detroit gospel choir.

On the Law Of The Land recording. It was two different females. Maude Lee Mobley & Rita Harvey. Rita was a friend of Joe's.
    Thanks for clearing that up, theboyfromxtown. I could have sworn the ladies on the studio recording were Billie Calvin and Brenda Evans. They sound exactly like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up, theboyfromxtown. I could have sworn the ladies on the studio recording were Billie Calvin and Brenda Evans. They sound exactly like them.
    Brenda was on Law Of The Land with the other 2 ladies

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Brenda was on Law Of The Land with the other 2 ladies
    Oh, okay. NOW it makes sense! I KNEW that Brenda's unmistakable soprano is the lead vocal throughout that tune -- as it turns out, with new back-up singers. Thanks again, boyfromxtown.