[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Hip-O-Select

Hip-O-Select

Can anyone tell me whatever happened to Hip-O-Select? If it was discussed
    on the forum, I totally missed it.

I think they are now defunct.

They were discontinued by UMe in 2013 [[the 50th Anniversary Singles collection for Martha Reeves & The Vandellas was the final release). As a side note, Rhino phased out their deluxe edition arm, Rhino Handmade, around the same time.

So sad, they really led the field and were the innovators of such beautifully crafted products. The latest Stax premium sets copy them perfectly [[and no shame in that).

Thanks for the information. Too bad it was discontinued.....lack of sales?

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Thanks for the information. Too bad it was discontinued.....lack of sales?
    I'm not sure, but they didn't seem to have a big enough Marketing budget. I don't really remember much promotion of their releases.

I got a replica CD of Bobby Hebb from them. I couldn't get the Syreeta collection direct as they stopped supplying to the UK. Both of my cds were limited to 5000 so they probably worked on tight margins. It's a shame they went out of business

Agreed

I loved their stuff

Some of the items I didn’t get at the time are now selling for crazy amounts on eBay
    Last edited by Optimal Saint; 10-10-2019 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BritishTony View Post
    So sad, they really led the field and were the innovators of such beautifully crafted products. The latest Stax premium sets copy them perfectly [[and no shame in that).
    Can you share more about the Stax sets? I haven't seen them.

Details over Complete Stax/Volt Singles - Otis Redding

Name:  s-l500.jpg
Views: 1191
Size:  43.1 KB

Hi Kenneth, the 2 I've got are these:
    https://variety.com/2018/music/revie...ry-1202997145/

https://www.discogs.com/Isaac-Hayes-...lease/10959158

CD booklets done exactly as the Motown singles sets. Beautifully made and with amazing liner notes & essays. Bought them both at HMV this year.

I wonder what happened to the unsold Motown inventory? For example, I am not sure that the remastered 2- for Smokey Robinson solo product sold out, since I believe this was the third incarnation for some of the titles, and while Essar fans such as myself had them individually, it was nice to have them as a 2-for in the interest of space consolidation.

Quote Originally Posted by BritishTony View Post
    Hi Kenneth, the 2 I've got are these:
    https://variety.com/2018/music/revie...ry-1202997145/

https://www.discogs.com/Isaac-Hayes-...lease/10959158

CD booklets done exactly as the Motown singles sets. Beautifully made and with amazing liner notes & essays. Bought them both at HMV this year.
    Thanks Tony. The Isaac Hayes set looks fantastic. I have never even seen it. Thanks again!

Hip-oSelect -- especially the Motown Select department -- was the Cadillac of CD reissue labels -- thrilling and deluxe every step of the way! Where else could we have ever gotten "The Complete Motown Singles" multi-disc CD collections covering A- & B-sides of each and every 45 released by Motown from 1959-1972 while they were based in Detroit; gorgeous sets like the 2-CD Martha Reeves & The Vandellas "Lost & Found" [[previously-unreleased) set; The Marvelettes 4-CD "Forevermore: Complete Motown Albums [[Vol. 2)", Expanded CD sets by DRATS and Diana Ross solo for nearly each and every one of their album releases, and countless other exciting projects? I invested in nearly every one of Motown Select's releases and I miss them dearly.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-27-2019 at 02:52 AM.

I invested in nearly every one of Motown Select's releases and I miss them dearly.
    From time to time I even buy second copies of the releases I already have when they are cheap:A few weeks ago I got another copy of 4 Tops Singles collection 3cd so I keep the other sealed. There was also a copy of the Supremes Singles collection for sale at the shop but I convinced a collegue of mine to buy that one since I already had 2 copies

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    I invested in nearly every one of Motown Select's releases and I miss them dearly.
    From time to time I even buy second copies of the releases I already have when they are cheap:A few weeks ago I got another copy of 4 Tops Singles collection 3cd so I keep the other sealed. There was also a copy of the Supremes Singles collection for sale at the shop but I convinced a collegue of mine to buy that one since I already had 2 copies
    Already had 2 copies! Why, Jack -- you old business tycoon, you! Ha!!!

Motown Select is certainly missed although there have been releases since their demise that have recreated their magic - for example the Supremes expanded editions, the Real Gone stuff, early EP sets etc. I would have loved a follow up to the early Miracles albums release [[Depend On Me) though, done the same way - those card album covers were cool. I wish Spectrum would do some more original album sets [[we've had J5, Tempts and Motown Chartbusters [[plus Stylistics)).

Name:  20240113_150334.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  78.2 KB

I miss Hip-O Select [[ a magnet from my fridge )
    Last edited by mjdestiny; 01-14-2024 at 01:08 PM.

One of my most treasured Hip-O-Select sets is this one:
    Got it in a sale.
    Next to all the Motown sets of course !
    Last edited by jack020; 01-15-2024 at 05:19 AM.

Nicely done, Jack. Is that Barry Manilow?

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Nicely done, Jack. Is that Barry Manilow?
    It looks like Burt Bacharach. I missed that one if it is.

...for those who may have missed them ...here's a comprehensive list of Hip-O Select CD releases from 2004...!

https://www.discogs.com/label/66709-Hip-O-Select

Grape

Some of these prices are outrageous! My Spanky And Our Gang Box that I once bought for 25 euros in Amsterdam at Discogs now for 360$ and 750$!

Quote Originally Posted by grapevine View Post
    ...for those who may have missed them ...here's a comprehensive list of Hip-O Select CD releases from 2004...!

https://www.discogs.com/label/66709-Hip-O-Select

Grape
    I don't think I realized how much product they released on Hip-O Select, and how varied it was. I think I spent too much time concentrating on just the Motown releases. I should have looked at the others!

When I saw this thread pop up I was hoping it meant that it had been resurrected and there were new releases on the horizon

loved hip o select

some CDs I skipped that I wish I had gotten at the time

crazy expensive now