[REMOVE ADS]

Outstanding Tracks on "Cream of the Crop"

Understanding that the "Cream of the Crop" album appears to be bits and pieces found in the vaults, I still find a few of the tracks to be outstanding in a production type way.

"Loving You is Better Than Ever", "You Gave Me Love" and "When It's Too the Top" have such lavish and full instrumental backings. I wonder if these were among the last tracks that Diana and the Andantes recorded as DRATS.

I realize these songs were not quite as 'edgy' as what they were putting out at the time; but, do you suppose any of these [[let's add "Can't You See It's Me) might have had any potential had they been released as a single.

If I were in quality control and had to pick from the four as what to release, I might go with "Loving You is Better Than Ever". Yeah, I know it's a Smokey tune and we know how "The Composer" faired; yet I believe this would have charted at least in the top 20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H5GyNRQxrM

I like most of Cream of the Crop and I think a few gems were left off
    Stormy
    Beginning of the end of love
    Macarthur park

I really like:
    SOMEDAY WE'LL BE TOGETHER
    CAN'T YOU SEE IT'S ME
    SHADOWS OF SOCIETY
    LOVING YOU IS BETTER THAN EVER
    TILL JOHNNY COMES
    THE BEGINNING OF THE END

I don't really hear any other singles besides SOMEDAY.

there are some strong tracks. but then there's some real duds too which is why IMO the album gets a bad rap from fans.

Hey Jude isn't terrible but given some of the strong tracks left in the can, i'd say cut this for a better original. But this would help sell records so i get it, sort of

i think a preferred lineup would be:

Someday
    You gave me love
    stormy
    can you see it's me
    you're gonna hear from me
    loving you is better than ever
    When it's to the top
    till johnny comes
    Those precious memories
    the beginning of the end
    the look of love

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Understanding that the "Cream of the Crop" album appears to be bits and pieces found in the vaults, I still find a few of the tracks to be outstanding in a production type way.

"Loving You is Better Than Ever", "You Gave Me Love" and "When It's Too the Top" have such lavish and full instrumental backings. I wonder if these were among the last tracks that Diana and the Andantes recorded as DRATS.

I realize these songs were not quite as 'edgy' as what they were putting out at the time; but, do you suppose any of these [[let's add "Can't You See It's Me) might have had any potential had they been released as a single.

If I were in quality control and had to pick from the four as what to release, I might go with "Loving You is Better Than Ever". Yeah, I know it's a Smokey tune and we know how "The Composer" faired; yet I believe this would have charted at least in the top 20.
    Those four cuts, along with "Someday", are really the only A grade tunes on the album, IMO. In addition to them, I do also like "Hey Jude", "Shadows" and "Beginning". Back to the four you spotlight, I think any of these would've probably made better singles than "The Composer" and the 1969 Tempts singles [[except "Try Something New"). "Can't You See It's Me" needed some more work, I think. The ingredients are there for a competitive single, but it needed some extra oomph.

To me, the cream of the crop are "Shadows of Society", and "Till Johnny Comes", one of the few times anyone's recorded a version of song that's better than Brenda Holloway's.

Three of the songs from the COTC album that were imo potential top 15 hits are...
    1. You Gave Me Love. Very commercial sounding. Potentially top 10
    2. Loving You Baby. Diana’s vocal is fresh and exuberant. The instrumentation really packs a punch.
    3.The Beginning Of The End.. Great late 60’s vibe. Nice controlled vocal.

There really are plenty of splendid vocal performances by Diana throughout the entire album.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Three of the songs from the COTC album that were imo potential top 15 hits are...
    1. You Gave Me Love. Very commercial sounding. Potentially top 10
    2. Loving You Baby. Diana’s vocal is fresh and exuberant. The instrumentation really packs a punch.
    3.The Beginning Of The End.. Great late 60’s vibe. Nice controlled vocal.

There really are plenty of splendid vocal performances by Diana throughout the entire album.
    agreed. those and a few of the other tracks like Stormy and The Look of Love show a real maturation in her singing. if Cream had been really put together in a thoughtful way, her early solo work might not be quite to radically different. What i mean is that DR 70 and Surrender are stunning works and also shocking in how different Diana is presented. a more solid COTC could have made for a more clear progression. plus a stronger "final set" for the group

I would have replaced ”Blowin’ In The Wind” and “When It’s To The Top” with “Treat Me Nice John Henry” and “Beginning Of The End Of Love”. Two very radio friendly songs.
    Don't agree about “Your Gonna Hear Hear From Me” which I consider to glitzy and would be better suited to G.I.T.

There was another song that I remember from this album called, "The Young Folks". The only reason I say this is because it made it on the Jet Top twenty and dj's were constantly playing it. I think it might have done fairly well for the girls. Also, I think it was the flip side to Someday and both sides were being played. Such a long time ago but thats what I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    There was another song that I remember from this album called, "The Young Folks". The only reason I say this is because it made it on the Jet Top twenty and dj's were constantly playing it. I think it might have done fairly well for the girls. Also, I think it was the flip side to Someday and both sides were being played. Such a long time ago but thats what I remember.
    It was the flip to NO MATTER WHAT SIGN YOU ARE but ended up charting on its own as well, peaking at #69.

Would Motown have risked another single after SWBT hit the top of the charts? Diana was still in by a thread, and it wouldn't have made much sense to release a single on a non-existent group.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    It was the flip to NO MATTER WHAT SIGN YOU ARE but ended up charting on its own as well, peaking at #69.
    Thank You ---- so many years and so many memories. I really did like The Young Folks and I think The Jackson 5 ended up recording it too.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Thank You ---- so many years and so many memories. I really did like The Young Folks and I think The Jackson 5 ended up recording it too.
    Yes, they did. It’s the last track on the ABC album. The J5’s version has a more uptempo, funky feel.

I don't think any more songs with Diana were going to be after Someday.
    But No Matter was released in May 69 so with the disappointing sales it could have been easy to issue a promo of Young Folks. But I don't think there was obvious much interest to do .