[REMOVE ADS]

The Heart Is Not So Smart - DeBarge

I'm not sure how this one passed me by, but it’s now my new favourite DeBarge song!!!

Any other love for it?

This is the last single pulled from the Rhythm Of The Night lp and was used along with You Wear It Well and Who's Holding Donna Now to launch El DeBarge into a solo career.

Unlike previous DeBarge lps, El DeBarge was featured in full and to a lesser degree Bunny was. Share My World was used in their first lp. There are clearly other voices on many of the cuts of this lp. The group itself was in the throes of heavy addiction issues which cost them individually and collectively through the years.

Tom I don't love it, but it's cool. I have this album on vinyl. As a huge fan of 80s music, my opinion is the album isn't exactly the best that the decade had to offer, aside from the title cut and "Donna", both of which I play often. But there's a couple of nice, listenable songs on the album, one of which being "Heart Not So Smart", the others: "Give It Up", "Single Heart", and "Share My World". "Wear It Well" was a hit, but I never did like it.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    This is the last single pulled from the Rhythm Of The Night lp and was used along with You Wear It Well and Who's Holding Donna Now to launch El DeBarge into a solo career.

Unlike previous DeBarge lps, El DeBarge was featured in full and to a lesser degree Bunny was. Share My World was used in their first lp. There are clearly other voices on many of the cuts of this lp. The group itself was in the throes of heavy addiction issues which cost them individually and collectively through the years.
    Ah yes, that makes sense. I think El shines on this track!!

I have all of El's solo albums, but I’m not that familiar with Bunny's solo career.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Tom I don't love it, but it's cool. I have this album on vinyl. As a huge fan of 80s music, my opinion is the album isn't exactly the best that the decade had to offer, aside from the title cut and "Donna", both of which I play often. But there's a couple of nice, listenable songs on the album, one of which being "Heart Not So Smart", the others: "Give It Up", "Single Heart", and "Share My World". "Wear It Well" was a hit, but I never did like it.
    Thanks for that Ran! I think it’s quite likeable, even if it’s not the most adventurous or sophisticated song , with a very laidback, upbeat groove. And, with a Caribbean flavour, much like "Rhythm Of The Night"!!

Glad you like it it Tom I listened ....I'll leave it that!

But keep 'em coming .... hits and misses are part of the fun here ....

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Thanks for that Ran! I think it’s quite likeable, even if it’s not the most adventurous or sophisticated song , with a very laidback, upbeat groove. And, with a Caribbean flavour, much like "Rhythm Of The Night"!!
    Hey, when it comes to the 80s, adventurous was an ingredient. Sophisticated? Not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Glad you like it it Tom I listened ....I'll leave it that!

But keep 'em coming .... hits and misses are part of the fun here ....
    Ah! Remember Boogie, sometimes the ears are not so smart.

hee haw !!

It's a descent track, but I don't hear a hit there.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post

Aahhh, man, lurv Rhythm of the Night [[song & vid. had Lionel's, All Night Long carib-vibe to it. Not sure which came 1st. )...You Wear It Well [[the swagger in that jam was undeniable, even at the time there was no such thing!)...and Who's Holding Donna resonated, personally 'Cause broke up with one...all STILL on my Playlist [[well, not Donna.) So yeah, El was definitely on his way!

Aawww man...you beat me to it, TomatoTom!!! I thought I was having an original thought w/ Rhythm. Didn't read far enough.

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Aawww man...you beat me to it, TomatoTom!!! I thought I was having an original thought w/ Rhythm. Didn't read far enough.
    No worries nativeNY! And you mentioned Lionel's "All Night Long" which like you say has a similar Caribbean-inspired sound.

I’d also add "Lightin' Up The Night" from The Commodores' 1985 album Nightshift to that list. Interestingly, "Lightin' Up The Night", "The Heart Is Not So Smart" and "Rhythm Of The Night" were all written by Diane Warren!

I also really like DeBarge's "You Wear It Well" and "Who's Holding Donna Now" too.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 04-29-2022 at 09:07 PM.

No worries nativeNY! And you mentioned Lionel's "All Night Long" which like you say has a similar Caribbean-inspired sound.

I’d also add "Lightin' Up The Night" from The Commodores' 1985 album Nightshift to that list. Interestingly, "Lightin' Up The Night", "The Heart Is Not So Smart" and "Rhythm Of The Night" were all written by Diane Warren!

I also really like DeBarge's "You Wear It Well" and "Who's Holding Donna Now" too.
    That explains it - Dianne Warren's pen! Thanks.