[REMOVE ADS]

Martha Reeves has new Title

Congratulations to Martha, she has received her Doctorate in Humanities and now she has the title of Dr. Martha Rose Reeves. I received a lovely photograph from her in her cap and gown.

Excellent. Where is this from?

The photograph is on a Christmas Greetings card, at the back of Martha are shelves of old books, it is a real nice photograph. It doesn't say the location.

smark21 Guest
    Is Rose really her middle name? I always thought she adopted in 2009 when she ran for re-election and added Rose to some of her campaign materials to confuse some voters into thinking she was long time Detroit political fixture Barbara-Rose Collins. Even if Rose is her true middle name, it was odd she plastered Rose on some of her campaign materials the same year Collins retired from politics.

I don't know anything about that. However there is certainly no mention of Martha having a middle name in her autobiography that she wrote with Mark Bego in '94!

Congrats.

Interesting about her middle name.

Congratulations to Ms. Martha Reeves!

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Is Rose really her middle name? I always thought she adopted in 2009 when she ran for re-election and added Rose to some of her campaign materials to confuse some voters into thinking she was long time Detroit political fixture Barbara-Rose Collins. Even if Rose is her true middle name, it was odd she plastered Rose on some of her campaign materials the same year Collins retired from politics.
    Martha Rose is really her name. Many people in Detroit that know her well always called her that.

Quote Originally Posted by Calv1971 View Post
    Congratulations to Martha, she has received her Doctorate in Humanities and now she has the title of Dr. Martha Rose Reeves. I received a lovely photograph from her in her cap and gown.
    Congartulations to the First Lady of Motown Records Doctor Martha Reeves the queen of entertainment. I am mailing a card to Dr Reeves tomorrow morning telling Dr Reeves that I am real real proud of her. I encourage others to do the same.

Dr. Martha Reeves
    c/o Dundee Holt
    Ideal Entertainment
    1674 Broadway 3rd floor
    New York NY 10019.

This news has made this fan real happy and very proud.

Roberta

smark21 Guest
    Technically, the letter should be addressed to Martha Rose Reeves, Ph.D.

In her book, she mentioned that during one discussion, Berry called her "Martha Rose," which he knew she hated.

I also received the card as it s actually a holiday greeting card. And, yes, as reese points
    out, she does mention her middle name in her book.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    In her book, she mentioned that during one discussion, Berry called her "Martha Rose," which he knew she hated.
    Well... Doctor Reeves must've had a change of heart, if she's been using 'Martha Rose' in some of her campaign materials

Doctorates in Humanities are honorary degrees conferred upon individuals who have distinguished themselves most usually in the arts. Sometimes they are conferred to alumni/alumnae of the university which confers the honorary degree but more often they are bestowed by universities which the honoree did not attend but which wish to recognize the individual for contributions to the arts. Sometimes, these degrees are bestowed to individuals who have made a large endowment to the institution. Rarely do the honorees actually use "Doctor" as a title in everyday parlance since it is not a degree earned by coursework, dissertation, etc. but rather a recognition of non-academic contributions to the humanities. Goodness knows Martha has made countless contributions to the musical arts for over fifty years and deserves recognition for that, but it's my understanding that this particular degree was conferred more for her spirituality than for her music. But as she is always quick to say, the two are one and the same for her.
    Last edited by BigAl; 01-05-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Please tell me that it is only fans that are calling her doctor. She doesn't call her self Doctor Martha now does she?

I am happy for this recognition that she has received.

smark21 Guest
    In the interview with Detroit 313 that I posted as a separate thread, Martha states she earned her doctorate from Union Seminary, a Bible college based in Detroit and she’ll be earning a couple of more doctorates in the coming year. Out of curiosity, I did a google search for Union Seminary. The school is located in Detroit near Schoolcraft and Grand River, not far from the Jeffries [[I-96). There is no official website for the school. I highly suspect the school is not accredited and it’s probably not as rigorous as Wayne State or Detroit Mercy.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    In the interview with Detroit 313 that I posted as a separate thread, Martha states she earned her doctorate from Union Seminary, a Bible college based in Detroit and she’ll be earning a couple of more doctorates in the coming year. Out of curiosity, I did a google search for Union Seminary. The school is located in Detroit near Schoolcraft and Grand River, not far from the Jeffries [[I-96). There is no official website for the school. I highly suspect the school is not accredited and it’s probably not as rigorous as Wayne State or Detroit Mercy.
    I know where the school is. I did some course work at U.of Detroit Mercy in the early 90's. They are non-comparable.

For Martha fans and especially Roberta...... and a Happy New Year....

http://www.mydamnchannel.com/don_was...eets_7548.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    For Martha fans and especially Roberta...... and a Happy New Year....

http://www.mydamnchannel.com/don_was...eets_7548.aspx
    Thank you Mike-UK and a happy and blessed New Year to you my dear. I really love this clip and it real great to see Lois and Delphine with the first Lady of Motown records Doctor Martha Reeves. It really was a family affair and you can tell the audience is just loving every minute.

Thank you and God bless you.

Roberta