[REMOVE ADS]

[[SUPER RARE!) The Supremes On The Mike Douglas Show - 1965

Hey Laurent, this is an example of what I said about not believing all these old performances were lost, destroyed, or never to be seen again!

Wow that's great Marv! I've been trying to track this performance down for years. Flo nearly stole the show in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Wow that's great Marv! I've been trying to track this performance down for years. Flo nearly stole the show in this one.
    Flo was THE ONE here! She not only looked like a star but her voice, her voice gave them what I call legitimacy! Whew!

Never has a group name been more appropriate!

A great clip.

At the top of their game, having returned from the European tour, before their debut at the Copa and before the major dramas.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    Never has a group name been more appropriate!
    Indeed !! They were great from the get-go.

Wow ! I almost fell of my chair. I thought I'd never see that whole show. Thank you so much Marv for posting this link and of course to Tony Ross [[I don't know if he's in this forum) for sharing it on youtube.

Now it's really time for a follow up to the DVD 'Reflections - the definitive performances 64-69'. There's really enough material. And I would love to see a dvd with all the standards the Supremes did on TV, not only the hits, that's part of their success too, at least in clubs, and of their talents and skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Wow ! I almost fell of my chair. I thought I'd never see that whole show. Thank you so much Marv for posting this link and of course to Tony Ross [[I don't know if he's in this forum) for sharing it on youtube.

Now it's really time for a follow up to the DVD 'Reflections - the definitive performances 64-69'. There's really enough material. And I would love to see a dvd with all the standards the Supremes did on TV, not only the hits, that's part of their success too, at least in clubs, and of their talents and skills.
    You're very welcome Laurent. Here is what I believe. In America especially, people hold on to a lot of things that they may not value but are valued by others. This is how we got eBay, Antiques Road Show, etc. etc. Old television programs are no different. They know that they have to be worth something, but just forget about them and put them back into a box or vault or whatever. There have to be tons of video footage at local stations around the country and in foreign markets. The challenge is to get these companies to release them. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is another good example. They are just now releasing video footage of the Motown acts and others that were inducted decades ago! I use to complain to them regularly as to why they had not uploaded any of that footage that I knew existed. So now they are. Keep an eye, because I am sure more is on the way. "Do you hear me Detroit?"! LOL!

I love how you can clearly hear the harmonies Mary and Florence created on "Stop In the Name of Love" live! You have proof here that no other singers were ever needed on their records. If the technology existed at the time to double-track them when a producer feilt he needed to "fatten up" the backgrounds.

OMG. Simply amazing. They were each sensational which made them all ...Supreme ; fantastic harmonies. Pure magic! Thanks Marv!!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    OMG. Simply amazing. They were each sensational which made them all ...Supreme ; fantastic harmonies. Pure magic! Thanks Marv!!
    You are most welcome Luke. This was their first appearance on the show. This is when Mike Douglas Show was still taped in Cleveland before moving to Philadelphia years later. Mike was real fond of the Supremes and they appeared a number of times over the years right on through Mary Wilson debuting her single "Red Hot" on the show in 1979 and Scherrie & Susaye making an appearance as Partners.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I love how you can clearly hear the harmonies Mary and Florence created on "Stop In the Name of Love" live! You have proof here that no other singers were ever needed on their records. If the technology existed at the time to double-track them when a producer feilt he needed to "fatten up" the backgrounds.
    I don't understand Motown use of the Andantes on some Supremes' song either. There was no need at all to change the great harmonies they had. Their ealier recordings are great for that, especially Sing Country Western & Pop.

I don't understand Motown use of the Andantes on some Supremes' song either. There was no need at all to change the great harmonies they had. Their ealier recordings are great for that, especially Sing Country Western & Pop.
    Motown did stupid things at times just like a lot of recording companies. The Andantes sounded great behind Marvin Gaye and singing along with the Four Tops. When they were added to and then later on singing all the background on DRATS recordings, the background sounded just bland!

Priceless. I know I've seen at least parts of this before but I don't think the entire thing.

This is a really nice find Marv. Everyone is in top form and the peak of their powers.

I've just found this one which has been apparently posted recently and with a far better picture quality than what we use to have [[but it's not the original sound)

This is wonderful and demonstrates just how poised each lady in their interactions with Mike Douglas. Twenty one years old and having only had 'made it' a year before and showing such showmanship!!! [[Yes, I do know they were being groomed prior to that.) Classy

I've just found this one which has been apparently posted recently and with a far better picture quality than what we use to have [[but it's not the original sound)

I've had this clip for well over 20 years and in good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I've had this clip for well over 20 years and in good quality.
    Lucky you !

Lucky you !
    Thanks Laurent.

Mary comes across as very mature in this clip and I think out of the three of them she was the most well spoken. Diana and Flo were doing their eye popping, teen girls in love thing while Mary was keeping poised and demonstrates why she was called the sexy one.

I loved it! It was such a joy to see them as a group standing together and all singing together and being able to really hear them all. During the interview, Diana answered a lot but she also seemed to defer to Mary for some answers. Mary was quite poised and well spoken. Florence provided a strong yet jovial presence. This was a true joy and, at this time, you can really see and feel the love between them.

Just some thoughts...

Obviously the Supremes first appearance on the Sullivan show is the most important television event in the group's history. That first Sullivan appearance has to be the Supremes' official introduction to the entire nation. And what a great introduction it was, with the three girls surrounding one mic, Diana planted in the middle, a show unto herself, and Flo and Mary holding her up on either side, complimenting her beautifully. Their voices are really nice, their movements cute, pretty faces, interesting wardrobe. The performance is a bit brief [[IMO anyway) but one gets a sense of the fact that the Supremes aren't just unique on the record. As a package, this group is a little different than the rest.

Before watching this Mike Douglas appearance, had anyone asked me to name the next most important television appearance for the Supremes I would be hard pressed to come up with an answer. TCB has to be the overall second most important TV appearance for the Supremes, as it was a milestone television special in many ways. But which performance for the group after the first Sullivan show and prior to TCB would I say is the most noteworthy? I think my answer has to be this Mike Douglas performance.

If the Sullivan Show in Dec 64 was the country's introduction to the Supremes, this performance has to be the one that the country watched and concluded that not only were these girls different, they were special. And they weren't going anywhere. On Sullivan they almost appear as school girls during the school's talent show. Both Diana and Mary were still living in the projects at the time. But here they are grown women. Young ladies who have now traveled abroad and been the guests of royalty. They have returned home with an air of sophistication not present as much in December. They appear more seasoned as performers. Each lady is showcasing that she is an equal part of the sum whole. Four songs. Each performance better than the last.

"Stop" is cute and fun. It's a reminder that the group is still full of youth. I'm not loving Diana's vocal here. It's not bad, just not...special. Flo and Mary's harmonies are on point. As soon as the intro to "Somewhere" starts, I groan. I really hate that song and the fact that they sang it for YEARS. However, Diana is sounding more like the Diana I know and love, and once again Flo and Mary are right up there with her. They actually made the song listenable...for this one time only. [[And thankfully, there was no melodramatic speech included.) Next up is "Back In My Arms Again" and Diana is stepping her game up for this one. Flo and Mary remain consistently wonderful, although I was disappointed that they didn't go with the "no, no, no" part during the last verse. While the Supremes also held onto "You're Nobody" for much too long in the act, I must admit I do often enjoy them singing it. And here I think it's the highlight of the entire appearance. Diana is singing the hell out of it, Flo and Mary are killing the background, Flo's sense of humor is on full display, particularly her mannerisms and expressions. The ovation they receive at the end had to echo throughout all of the households in the country who were watching at the time.

Perhaps after the first Sullivan appearance people may have thought the Supremes would have the average lifespan of the recent popular acts. Perhaps a couple more hits and then they'll be replaced by the next great act. There's no way anyone thought the same way after this MD performance. Clearly these ladies were facing down a long career because it wasn't just that they were good or great, but because they were SPECIAL. I can't think of another performance where the group seemed to make such a big statement, certainly not while Florence was still in the group.

Final note: the one big negative here for me is the look. I'm not the one who sits around talking about the Supremes' dresses and all of that because I don't care about that stuff. However, I have always hated the dresses they wear here. And I've always hated Flo's blond wig here. And I've always hated Mary's wig. It's makes her peanut head look even more peanut-ish. Diana's look is the only one that works IMO, but she's wearing the same dress that I hate, so...

Just some thoughts. Sorry for the rambling. Carry on...

Marv I could kiss you but I don’t think you would consider that a thank you, so I wil. donate $100 to your favorite charity if you will send me a link…… I can’t tell you how much I love this…… They sound sensational. Mary is absolutely adorable, I love seeing Flo up close even though that hair makes me want to commit suicide, and Diana, still seeking her niche as a performer, made me laugh, made me cringe, made me love her all the more. I love love love love love love love love love this, and, you Marv!

The great thing about the Mike Douglas Show is that he always spent time with the guests. I always loved that he would have someone as a guest host for the whole week. This clip shows just how much time he gave to the artists. A truly wonderful segment. Flo still looking for her Baby Love just slays me!

One of the most relaxed and confident times I’ve ever seen Florence perform. Diana’s wig distracting... looks like an Annette Funicello/Flying nun combo

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    One of the most relaxed and confident times I’ve ever seen Florence perform. Diana’s wig distracting... looks like an Annette Funicello/Flying nun combo
    I so agree. Watching this she looks really in the zone. Happy, relaxed and confident. Your attention is often drawn to her alone. I wonder what a certain Mr Gordy thought after viewing this performance?.