[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes' 1975 Album [[Radio commercial)

This sounds great given how long ago it was:

I remember this radio commercial as I heard it in 1975 living in L.A. I was delightfully surprised to know they had a new album! Thanks for posting this, Marv.

Quote Originally Posted by motownlover1964 View Post
    I remember this radio commercial as I heard it in 1975 living in L.A. I was delightfully surprised to know they had a new album! Thanks for posting this, Marv.
    You're welcome motownlover1964. They used part of
    Color My World Blue" which was one of my favorite songs from the album.

I remember in the very early days of Yahoo Clubs/Groups message boards, someone had posted this commercial for download. Having been a quite young fan at the time and not yet having had access to all of The Supremes' albums, this was my first time hearing audio from The Supremes '75 album and I loved it, especially Color My World Blue. I'd play this audio of the commercial over and over, so I could hear the songs. I even saved the audio file on a floppy disc lol. Remember those? This must have been in 1999 or 2000. It was quite a fun day when I finally tracked down the vinyl record, which was at least a couple of years later. I was not around in 1975 when this album came out, but it certainly does bring back unique memories of my earlier years as a fan

Thanks Marv, I never heard this commercial in Detroit. I didn’t mind the use of different producers. I still get a kick out that audio footage of the Holland Brothers coaching the ladies when working in this album.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I remember in the very early days of Yahoo Clubs/Groups message boards, someone had posted this commercial for download. Having been a quite young fan at the time and not yet having had access to all of The Supremes' albums, this was my first time hearing audio from The Supremes '75 album and I loved it, especially Color My World Blue. I'd play this audio of the commercial over and over, so I could hear the songs. I even saved the audio file on a floppy disc lol. Remember those? This must have been in 1999 or 2000. It was quite a fun day when I finally tracked down the vinyl record, which was at least a couple of years later. I was not around in 1975 when this album came out, but it certainly does bring back unique memories of my earlier years as a fan

Hey Carlo guess what? I bought my second vinyl copy of this album at the old "Sam the Record Man" store on Yonge St. in Toronto in the early 90s! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Thanks Marv, I never heard this commercial in Detroit. I didn’t mind the use of different producers. I still get a kick out that audio footage of the Holland Brothers coaching the ladies when working in this album.
    I heard it, but it was on a Pittsburgh radio station that you only pick up once and a while by accident after a huge rain storm for some reason. They also played the commercial for the "Mary Wilson" album in 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Hey Carlo guess what? I bought my second vinyl copy of this album at the old "Sam the Record Man" store on Yonge St. in Toronto in the early 90s! LOL!
    The good ol' days! That store was great but has sadly been gone for years now. They saved the sign and put it up in Dundas Square. HMV is gone too. The only bigger music store left in Toronto is Sonic Boom, and it's great, but still a fraction of the size of those other stores.

The good ol' days! That store was great but has sadly been gone for years now. They saved the sign and put it up in Dundas Square. HMV is gone too. The only bigger music store left in Toronto is Sonic Boom, and it's great, but still a fraction of the size of those other stores.
    Yes they were Carlo. I am not familiar with Sonic Boom, but I can remember driving right up to Sam's and parking on the curb. I'd shop for about an hour and then bring the records to the car and put them under the floor mats .

Thought this was a good album for them but was surprised bend a little and Sha la bandit was left off

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Thought this was a good album for them but was surprised bend a little and Sha la bandit was left off
    Interesting, because when the album came out, we never knew about those songs.

A fan club news letter had the info

The male voice over; is that the same guy for the Supremes wigs? Or the Aarid commercial? I swear I've heard him before in relation to the Supremes.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    The male voice over; is that the same guy for the Supremes wigs? Or the Aarid commercial? I swear I've heard him before in relation to the Supremes.
    I would guess not. What I am most interested in knowing is how were you able to remember the voiceover on a 30-45 sec commercial from the 60s LOL!

I'm assuming we're at least in the same general age group, give or take a few years. Your post reminds me of when I was loving the Yahoo groups. Being born after the Supremes existed as legends only, I did not have the benefit of coming up in the era where I could anticipate the next new release or collect the fan articles and photos like I did my favorite acts of the 90s. No one my age- that I knew of- was the least bit interested in the Supremes or Motown, certainly not in the hobby-like way I was interested. And if I tried talking Supremes/Motown with the adults, there was usually this condescending attitude of "shouldn't you be interested in something else?" Discovering the Yahoo Clubs, reborn as Groups, in the late 90s opened the door to me that there was a place to discuss what had become my favorite female group. And when different people would talk about this album or that album that I didn't currently have in my collection, I imagine the anticipation of eventually discovering it- either a reissue in store or an original at a flea market or record shop- was still akin to what it may have been like had I been born during the Supremes era.

It was disappointing when the groups slowly died off from non participation, but when they were poppin, they were poppin. We had some great discussions. The group I was overwhelmingly most active in was the Flo Ballard group. It was great to see that there were more Flo fans out there besides myself. There were some trolls too. I remember one poster who referred to him/herself as Miss Lucille. "She" was too much.

the music selection for the commercial is interesting. Not a single sound clip of Mary's leads

he's my man - they used scherrie's lead section
    It's all been said before
    color my world blue

And in another post we started talking about what cuts from the later 70s lps were used on tv and stage. Neither It's All or Color were performed live or on tv [[that we know of). yet they're used in the commercial for the album.

As i've said elsewhere, the more pop-oriented tracks on here are the strongest. the ones produced by Ivey and Woodford. Color is excellent. Cant' stop a girl is my personal fav. Mary's lead on Turn Me Around is lovely. Most of the disco tracks were pretty vanilla and generic. i think they should have re-launched the group with a more pop album, using these tracks plus a few others. get their general public back. then follow up with a more dance-oriented one

I loved all of Mary Wilson's vocals on this particular album. Heck, I loved all the vocals of all 3 of them on "The Supremes" [[1975). They sounded fresh, exciting, and very nice harmonies. A great album overall.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I'm assuming we're at least in the same general age group, give or take a few years. Your post reminds me of when I was loving the Yahoo groups. Being born after the Supremes existed as legends only, I did not have the benefit of coming up in the era where I could anticipate the next new release or collect the fan articles and photos like I did my favorite acts of the 90s. No one my age- that I knew of- was the least bit interested in the Supremes or Motown, certainly not in the hobby-like way I was interested. And if I tried talking Supremes/Motown with the adults, there was usually this condescending attitude of "shouldn't you be interested in something else?" Discovering the Yahoo Clubs, reborn as Groups, in the late 90s opened the door to me that there was a place to discuss what had become my favorite female group. And when different people would talk about this album or that album that I didn't currently have in my collection, I imagine the anticipation of eventually discovering it- either a reissue in store or an original at a flea market or record shop- was still akin to what it may have been like had I been born during the Supremes era.

It was disappointing when the groups slowly died off from non participation, but when they were poppin, they were poppin. We had some great discussions. The group I was overwhelmingly most active in was the Flo Ballard group. It was great to see that there were more Flo fans out there besides myself. There were some trolls too. I remember one poster who referred to him/herself as Miss Lucille. "She" was too much.
    RanRan79, yes we must be in a similar age group. You perfectly expressed my feelings/experiences of being a fan in that era. I was also most active in the Florence Ballard group in those early internet days. I think I do remember Miss Lucille! Also can't forget Stephanie, Herman, Eso and "the Ghost". Lol.

Marv I seem to remember his voice too. I was thinking maybe wig commercial. Very distinctive voice.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Marv I seem to remember his voice too. I was thinking maybe wig commercial. Very distinctive voice.
    Yeah but remembering back to the Arrid deodorant commercial of the 60s is stretching it. LOL! You and others may be remembering the voiceover person from seeing more recent copies of these commercials on Youtube allowing you to compare the voice.