[REMOVE ADS]

Page 69 of 77 FirstFirst ... 19 59 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,450 of 3827

Thread: Remember when?

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Mary Kay, w/the pink Caddy; still around! Avon too. Amway Cookies. Shaklee still kicking also.
    My ex-sister in law was a Mary Kay lady.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    yeah, they were "ladies" and could not be seen eating too much. Not at all like the block club ladies, now they were hogs! Lol! Every chip and dip on the table would be gone by the time they left!
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...mar v,you ain't right..they were hogs..haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Weren't there Rubbermaid ladies too?

B.O.B. - Bring your Own Bottle parties! Stag jams. Block parties.

Remember the[water trucks]that used to come in the summer to spray the streets?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I use to see those at night in Toronto.

What about the street scrubbers? Used to always find those amazing because you'd only see them on your street once every two or three years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    What about the street scrubbers? Used to always find those amazing because you'd only see them on your street once every two or three years.
    They use the street scrubbers every night in Toronto after a certain hour.

I have never seen a street scrubber on my street and I've been here for 23 years.

I've seen street scrubbers three times in the last week [[at night) here in San Diego CA.

They use these big machines on trucks in Times Square after events like New Year's Eve. I don't know if they are scrubbers though.

As kids, in da Bx., we saw the scrubbers a couple times in the summer. But for the most part, the city had workers just come through and open up the hydrants. I recall those humongous wrenches they used. Sweet memories those.

I had one of those wrenches,but my wife wouldn't let me open any hydrants...i never have any fun..sigh!!!

I had one of those wrenches,but my wife wouldn't let me open any hydrants...i never have any fun..sigh!!!
    The missus is always a Debbie Downer.
    Never letting us live out our 2nd childhood! Mine will always snatch the remote up whenever the Temps mini- series came on tv. "Watching THAT again!" Which is why I now have the DVD and a mini-DVD player! Go to the man cave & watch my favorite movie anytime!

LOL. Mine waits until I get to the thick of the plot of a movie I've been watching for an hour and 45 minutes [[15 minutes left) and stands if front of the TV to talk about something she heard on NPR. If my face twists or I ask her to give me a few minutes to finish the show, she accuses me of ignoring her and refuses to speak to me for hours.

Women. You can't live with 'em and you can't afford to live without 'em.

WIVES DON'T RESPECT OUR FEELINGS MUCH,ON MY HONEYMOON WHICH HAPPENED ON THE SAME DAY AS THE BIG GAME,SHE DISRESPECTED ME WITHOUT ANY REGARD FOR MY FEELINGS,SHE HAD THE NERVE TO WALK IN FRONT OF THE TV RIGHT AFTER KICKOFF WEARING ONE OF THOSE LITTLE[BABYDOLL THINGGYS]...[she had her shape then]AND HAD THE NERVE TO GET MAD WHEN I ASKED HER TO MOVE AND ADJUST THE COLOR[it was a cheap TV]...IT DIDN'T BOTHER ME THAT SHE DIDN'T SPEAK TO ME FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON..I DIDN'T MISS A GAME,WHAT A SEASON!

Was it Johnnie Taylor that reminds us: It's cheaper to keep her?"

Yep. And it was Joe Tex who said Hold On To What You've Got. Between them, I'd say Joe needs to get his head checked.

As kids, in da Bx., we saw the scrubbers a couple times in the summer. But for the most part, the city had workers just come through and open up the hydrants. I recall those humongous wrenches they used. Sweet memories those.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  21.1 KB
    They used to do that in Chicago, too. I think they did that in most big US cities, especially before we had central air conditioning in anyplace except movie theatres, and before there were many public swimming pools, and before anyone but millionaires had swimming pools in their backyards.

Man, going to the public pool was a traditional childhood rite of summer. I was never a great swimmer but I could spend hours at the pool for a dime [[and another dime to lock up my clothes). Remember: No running on deck, there is a 10 minute break every two hours and you should NEVER jump in right after you ate something.

Man, going to the public pool was a traditional childhood rite of summer. I was never a great swimmer but I could spend hours at the pool for a dime [[and another dime to lock up my clothes). Remember: No running on deck, there is a 10 minute break every two hours and you should NEVER jump in right after you ate something.
Views: 513
    A dime??? Ours were free, at first, - but too crowded. Some years later, they jumped straight from free to a quarter.

Remember when having a dollar was a big thing?

Remember when having a dollar was a big thing?
    Yep! I would see that type of money until relatives visited from out of town and would send me to the store for them. They'd let me keep the change.

Speaking about money, timing is a funny thing. My Mom gave me an envelope today with $57 in it. It had two $20 bills, two $5s, three $2s and a $1. Turns out, I signed over some old savings bonds to her in 1986 and she used some of the loot but saved the money from one bond in an envelope for me and put it in a cash box. The one dollar bill is a silver certificate from 1957, the others are all old federal reserve notes, oldest are from 1934. I'm researching them to see if they have any value greater than their nominal amounts but I doubt it. I almost hate to spend them [[I haven't even cashed my Trumpfare check) but I might.

Remember your 1st Social Security Number Card? Had mine since I was a thinks he knows-it-all teen. Now I'm a 57 year old thinks he knows-it-all! Tee hee

Speaking about money, timing is a funny thing. My Mom gave me an envelope today with $57 in it. It had two $20 bills, two $5s, three $2s and a $1. Turns out, I signed over some old savings bonds to her in 1986 and she used some of the loot but saved the money from one bond in an envelope for me and put it in a cash box. The one dollar bill is a silver certificate from 1957, the others are all old federal reserve notes, oldest are from 1934. I'm researching them to see if they have any value greater than their nominal amounts but I doubt it. I almost hate to spend them [[I haven't even cashed my Trumpfare check) but I might.
    HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...JERRY YOUR DEAR MOM IS A GENIUS[AND SMART TOO]SHE KNOWS THE VALUE OF THOSE BONDS AND HOW IT WILL HELP YOUR CAMPAINE...[like greasing a few palms for some votes,hehe]RUN JERRY RUN!!

Remember your 1st Social Security Number Card? Had mine since I was a thinks he knows-it-all teen. Now I'm a 57 year old thinks he knows-it-all! Tee hee
    I got mine in 1974. I had not seen it since 1976 and I lived and worked all over the country. My mother surprised me earier this year when she gave it to me and said "remember this?". I was floored!

ONCE WHEN UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF THIS WONDERFUL ELIXUR,I WALKED INTO THE BANK TO DRAW SOME FUNDS FROM MY SOCIAL SECURITY...[when the teller stopped laughing,I was asked to leave and NEVER return].

ONCE WHEN UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF THIS WONDERFUL ELIXUR,I WALKED INTO THE BANK TO DRAW SOME FUNDS FROM MY SOCIAL SECURITY...[when the teller stopped laughing,I was asked to leave and NEVER return].
    hehehehehehehehehehe........!

Remember when no one was allowed to sit in dad's special chair?

As young 'uns, fighting over the window seat in the Ford Grenada or wood- sided station wagon.

When i think of the places i grew up in there're so sacred almost like museums of my youth which i why i seldom visit any of those places today,like some years ago i walked down one of the old streets and it was sad with all the hustle and bustle including drugs which was never a part of that street back in the day,i'm so lucky to have been a kid in a more special time.

Preach. In the early '90s, I visited the parents of one of a high school friend who had moved to a different state, just to see how they were doing. I drove down the street in the middle of August in a car with a busted air conditioner and I kept my windows up and stared straight ahead because of all the people in the street and on the corners. Many were bangers and none looked like he was doing anything productive. I saw the folks and left, scared for my life because there had been so many shootings in the area. Stupid me, I thought going in the day would seem safer, but if so, God help anybody walking that street at night. And I used to hang out over there until 2:00 AM when I was a kid. SMH.

But if it makes any difference, my nephew and his wife recently bought a house about a block away on the same street. It turns out the area was gentrified and a lot of those old houses were fixed up and flipped for three times their value and my nephew's house looks new and the street looks like the safest on that side of town. 180-degree difference. That's why I have to choose my words and sort my thoughts carefully when people talk about gentrification. It's wrong in principle but that neighborhood went from being poor to middle class and now it's no doubt better than it was. At least my nephew benefitted from the shift.

Preach. In the early '90s, I visited the parents of one of a high school friend who had moved to a different state, just to see how they were doing. I drove down the street in the middle of August in a car with a busted air conditioner and I kept my windows up and stared straight ahead because of all the people in the street and on the corners. Many were bangers and none looked like he was doing anything productive. I saw the folks and left, scared for my life because there had been so many shootings in the area. Stupid me, I thought going in the day would seem safer, but if so, God help anybody walking that street at night. And I used to hang out over there until 2:00 AM when I was a kid. SMH.

But if it makes any difference, my nephew and his wife recently bought a house about a block away on the same street. It turns out the area was gentrified and a lot of those old houses were fixed up and flipped for three times their value and my nephew's house looks new and the street looks like the safest on that side of town. 180-degree difference. That's why I have to choose my words and sort my thoughts carefully when people talk about gentrification. It's wrong in principle but that neighborhood went from being poor to middle class and now it's no doubt better than it was. At least my nephew benefitted from the shift.
    Great story Jerry. I have seen Gentrification occur in cities around Country. I agree it has it's pluses and minuses.

YOU KNOW GANG,INNOCENCE IS A WONDERFUL THING AND THAT'S WHAT WE HAD AS KIDS THAT SWEET WONDERFUL TIME WHEN WE JUST WENT OUTSIDE AND PLAYED AND WE KNEW NOTHING ABOUT[WORRY]HELL I DON'T THINK I EVEN HEARD THE WORD UNTIL I WAS A TEEN,OUR FOLKS MADE SURE THAT WE KIDS DIDN'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH ANYTHING EXCEPT KIDS STUFF[HOMEWORK-CHORES]...[and that cute girl down the street-hehehe]WHENEVER I WANT TO ESCAPE THE MADNESS I COME TO THIS WONDERFUL POST AND BE A KID AGAIN!

YOU KNOW GANG,INNOCENCE IS A WONDERFUL THING AND THAT'S WHAT WE HAD AS KIDS THAT SWEET WONDERFUL TIME WHEN WE JUST WENT OUTSIDE AND PLAYED AND WE KNEW NOTHING ABOUT[WORRY]HELL I DON'T THINK I EVEN HEARD THE WORD UNTIL I WAS A TEEN,OUR FOLKS MADE SURE THAT WE KIDS DIDN'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH ANYTHING EXCEPT KIDS STUFF[HOMEWORK-CHORES]...[and that cute girl down the street-hehehe]WHENEVER I WANT TO ESCAPE THE MADNESS I COME TO THIS WONDERFUL POST AND BE A KID AGAIN!
    I totally agree JAI. This thread is also one my very favorites.

Views: 360
    This thread has literally died since Marv has left us [[may he rest in superb peace). It won't be the same without him. I'll try to keep it going, but it just won't be the same.

Robb, after reading you for the past couple of decades, I can't think of anyone better to keep the thread going. I'm sure Marv would approve.

Boy, I had no idea this thread would still be around almost 461,000 plus posts later. I
    was blueskies back then when I started it. Yes, Marv added a lot to this thread. I sort of ran out of steam and Robb, Marv, arr&bee and Jerry [[among others) have kept things interesting and moving along. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by lakeside; 10-04-2020 at 05:46 PM.

Views: 375
    I'll start off this thread's "Marvin Davis Memorial Era" with the following "I'm So Old" post:
    I'm so old, that when I was 5 years old in 1951, my 104 year old aunt, born in 1847 [[14 years before the start of The US Civil War), told me about her youth in Hungary, when she was 10 years old, and The Hungarian Government sent representatives to all the small towns and villages, to assign family [[last) names to families. Before that time almost everyone had NO last names. My fathers' parents were the first generation born having last names, and they also had a marriage arranged by their 2 families, and the district's official Jewish Matchmaker. My grandfather moved to Liege [[Luik) Belgium, in 1875, to work in the mines, and on to Antwerp, Belgium 2 years later, and on to Den Haag, Holland, in 1882, which is how my family ended up in The Netherlands. All true. People don't realise that our "modern World" is very, very recent.

Wow Robb that is incredible !!!!

Time moves on and things change almost without our being able to see it.
    I was just this morning realizing how in a very short time , music had changed in all ways imaginable . When my brother and I were teenagers we were going to rock concerts , some in stadiums.

I don't remember my Dad , a WWII vet, once being staggered by it . He never once said wow this rock music you guys are into is "---?---" .... !!! Not one way or another did Alice Cooper move him ! lol!

I texted my brother about this this morning and he answered back,
    "Ya, you're right. All I remember him saying was that close-up The Andrew Sisters were ugly !!"

!!! LOL!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Wow Robb that is incredible !!!!

Time moves on and things change almost without our being able to see it.
    I was just this morning realizing how in a very short time , music had changed in all ways imaginable . When my brother and I were teenagers we were going to rock concerts , some in stadiums.

I don't remember my Dad , a WWII vet, once being staggered by it . He never once said wow this rock music you guys are into is "---?---" .... !!! Not one way or another did Alice Cooper move him ! lol!

I texted my brother about this this morning and he answered back,
    "Ya, you're right. All I remember him saying was that close-up The Andrew Sisters were ugly !!"
    !!! LOL!!!!!
Views: 390
    I agree with your dad that Alice Cooper was ugly, and I didn't like his singing, either.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 360
    this thread has literally died since marv has left us [[may he rest in superb peace). It won't be the same without him. I'll try to keep it going, but it just won't be the same.
    robb,you're absolutely right,but we'll keep in going in marv 's memory.

Remember when being a[boy scout]was an honorable thing?

Huh?! Marv died? I wondered where he was but had no idea he passed. Is there a thread anywhere on SDF about it?

Huh?! Marv died? I wondered where he was but had no idea he passed. Is there a thread anywhere on SDF about it?
    Yes.

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...Marv-davis-rip
    Last edited by calvin; 10-14-2020 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 390
    i agree with your dad that alice cooper was ugly, and i didn't like his singing, either.
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!! !

Remember when teen girls wanted to be[pretty]? Before it all went to hell?

Remember when teen girls wanted to be[pretty]? Before it all went to hell?
    I remember when you could tell the 16 year old girls from the 40 year old women. Now, the teenagers want to look like adults and the adults want to look like teenagers.

When I was a teenager in the later Fifties and early Sixties, my father wouldn't let me go to school without wiping off my eye makeup. Also, one time he wouldn't allow me at the
    dinner table with blue nail polish. And we were liberal in most other respects --- I think.

[[Wish Marv could see me now. Heartbroken.)
    Last edited by 9A; 10-16-2020 at 10:35 AM.