[REMOVE ADS]

Netflix's when they see us

Did anyone watch it? It was such a powerful reenactment of the individual stories of the Central 5 now known as the Exonerated 5. It's a must see with stellar performances from everyone involved. Hats off the director Ava Duvernay for a job above and beyond well done. Do yourselves a favor and watch it and be prepared for an emotional rollercoaster.
    Last edited by glencro; 06-18-2019 at 08:12 PM.

I've only watched half of it. Hats off to Ava.

I'm watching it when I know I'm not going to lose my cool. Criminal justice disparities is one of my trigger issues as it's at least as bad now as it was back then. The recent video of the cops pulling out guns to stop and arrest a family after a child walked out of a dollar store with a doll they didn't buy is just more evidence that the wheels of the bus are going 'round and 'round. They're going to do everything possible to save those cops' jobs. I've come to the realization that an unfair criminal justice system is not a failure of the institution but the way it is designed.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Did anyone watch it? It was such a powerful reenactment of the individual stories of the Central 5 now known as the Exonerated 5. It's a must see with stellar performances from everyone involved. Hats off the director Ava Duvernay for a job above and beyond well done. Do yourselves a favor and watch it and be prepared for an emotional rollercoaster.
    I can't. I just can't............

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I'm watching it when I know I'm not going to lose my cool. Criminal justice disparities is one of my trigger issues as it's at least as bad now as it was back then. The recent video of the cops pulling out guns to stop and arrest a family after a child walked out of a dollar store with a doll they didn't buy is just more evidence that the wheels of the bus are going 'round and 'round. They're going to do everything possible to save those cops' jobs. I've come to the realization that an unfair criminal justice system is not a failure of the institution but the way it is designed.
    That was bad, here is something that was worse. It happened back in February but the mainstream media barely mentioned it:

Last edited by marv2; 06-18-2019 at 11:39 PM.

This young man, Wille McCoy was asleep in his care at a Taco Bell. The police came and knocked on his car startling him awake. They began shooting excessively because of his uncontrolled movements and that he had a gun in the car.

I remember that, Marv. Also remember the one that popped up once on the evening news where someone reported a red car involved in a robbery. Two cops [[both black, BTW) saw a car that fit the description. Inside the car was a brother and his girlfriend listening to love songs on the radio. The cops drew their guns and ordered them out of the car. When the guy complied by exiting the vehicle, they started shooting. Didn't hit him but a bullet grazed her. What do you do when they will shoot you if you stay in the car but then shoot you for getting out per their instruction? Cops have gone nuts.

I remember that, Marv. Also remember the one that popped up once on the evening news where someone reported a red car involved in a robbery. Two cops [[both black, BTW) saw a car that fit the description. Inside the car was a brother and his girlfriend listening to love songs on the radio. The cops drew their guns and ordered them out of the car. When the guy complied by exiting the vehicle, they started shooting. Didn't hit him but a bullet grazed her. What do you do when they will shoot you if you stay in the car but then shoot you for getting out per their instruction? Cops have gone nuts.
    That was in the suburbs of my old town New Haven, CT, where a Yale cop -- Black and male -- accosted me -- Black and male -- for walking out of a bodega with my hands in my pockets...IN 40-DEGREE WEATHER. I'm so glad I got out of that hellhole, but I'm not so naïve that I don't realize that wherever you go, there they are.

I watched When They See Us [[as well as the Oprah Winfrey hosted special When They See Us Now). It was very well done as well as very painful to watch. Bravo to Ava DuVernay and all the actors and personnel responsible. However as other posters have said, stoires like this one keep popping up as more young Black men are unjustly sent to prison.

I think that was the one up in New Haven, CT. You really have no options. You almost always have to fear for your life when stopped by police now.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    That was in the suburbs of my old town New Haven, CT, where a Yale cop -- Black and male -- accosted me -- Black and male -- for walking out of a bodega with my hands in my pockets...IN 40-DEGREE WEATHER. I'm so glad I got out of that hellhole, but I'm not so naïve that I don't realize that wherever you go, there they are.
    Sansradio, I spent some time in New Haven,but it was only for a day at a time or overnight and out.

glencro, Part 1 took me out! I have to go back and finish watching the rest. So many emotions. Ava did her research and you better believe that some of those who are retired and involved spoke to her. I did watch Oprah's interview with the exonerated 5. Tears, tears, tears!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Sansradio, I spent some time in New Haven,but it was only for a day at a time or overnight and out.
    Count your blessings.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I think that was the one up in New Haven, CT. You really have no options. You almost always have to fear for your life when stopped by police now.
    The last time I was stopped was nearly 10 years ago. It was at 5:30 AM on a country road as I went to work. The sheriff's deputy was remarkably passive aggressive and annoying without being overtly disrespectful. I don't know if he was trying to be but at time of the morning, something about his approach rubbed me the wrong way. I kept both hands on the wheel until I gave him my license and put them back after he took it.

I am always respectful, so I had no reason to treat him differently. I answered his questions with just as much information as he needed, even though some of it wasn't his business [[Where are you going? What do you do there?) and looked him in his eye the whole time. He let me go with a warning. It was the first time that I had been stopped in nearly 20 years and it was also the first time that I was conscious of every move that an officer made. I shudder to think about how something so simple can escalate when the wrong cop stops the wrong driver at the wrong time of the day.

I watched all of it. Excellently done. The Innocent Central Park Five are out and wealthy. I'm angry about the ones who are innocent and still locked up or the ones who are innocent and will be locked up because our justice system allows for injustice to be a component of the process, especially where Black, Latino or the impoverished are concerned.