[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    You're right, Martha was on Don Kirshner's program, not Midnight Special. Saturday Night Live would have been another great venue to promote their work, even if their sound wasn't quite the right fit for the show.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Lack of radio airplay I’m guessing
    Lack of radio airplay and the ability to find the records in the stores. It took me 2 years to find the "Bad Weather" single. I bought it the same day as the 1975 album.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I remember the 75 bandstand performance and that they did This Is Why. But I was only listing out the appearances of the A side singles
    They also performed "He's My Man" during that 1975 AB appearance.

I can't remember what songs did they perform on the David Frost Show in 1971?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I can't remember what songs did they perform on the David Frost Show in 1971?
    From what I remember...

-60s hits medley [[Stop, Come See About Me, My World Is Empty, Baby Love) which leads into Up the Ladder To The Roof
    -People
    -Stoned Love

They did the Dick Cavitt Show in 1972.

On David Frost they did:

hits medley that includes Stop, Come see about me [[with a little Back in my arms again thrown in at end), you keep me hangin on, reflections, up the ladder

Feeling Good medley that includes Feeling good, loving country, together we can make such sweet music

macarthur park

heaven help us all

They did the Dick Cavitt Show in 1972.
    that's right! they did the show in June of 72 so it would be the MJL lineup. And i thought there was a previous discussion on here about that show. didn't they talk about the Jimmy Webb lp? or maybe do Tossin and Turnin or something?

did they also do YWSSL?

They also performed "He's My Man" during that 1975 AB appearance.
    I wonder if Mary wore a bra for that song lolol. she did NOT for This Is Why and let me tell ya... lololol

they were wearing those lavender sequin tops and black pants [[like on the back of Touch cover)

Lack of radio airplay and the ability to find the records in the stores. It took me 2 years to find the "Bad Weather" single. I bought it the same day as the 1975 album.
    I'm trying to remember back in the day. did Motown do much with big, cardboard instore displays? i remember things with The Boss and some later releases but not the early 70s.

Some promotional efforts like that would have been helpful

Full David Frost Set List:

1. Medley: Feelin' Good/The Loving Country/Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music
    2. Medley: Stop! In the Name of Love/Come See About Me/Back In My Arms Again/You Keep Me Hangin' On/Reflections/Up the Ladder to the Roof
    3. Stoned Love
    4. People [[Jean Solo)
    5. MacArthur Park
    6. Heaven Help Us All

Thank you Floyjoy, Thorton and Sup fan.

that's right! they did the show in June of 72 so it would be the MJL lineup. And i thought there was a previous discussion on here about that show. didn't they talk about the Jimmy Webb lp? or maybe do Tossin and Turnin or something?

did they also do YWSSL?
    I cannot remember the songs from the show for some reason.

I wonder if Mary wore a bra for that song lolol. she did NOT for This Is Why and let me tell ya... lololol

they were wearing those lavender sequin tops and black pants [[like on the back of Touch cover)
    I was happy with that performance.......hehehehehehe!

I'm trying to remember back in the day. did Motown do much with big, cardboard instore displays? i remember things with The Boss and some later releases but not the early 70s.

Some promotional efforts like that would have been helpful
    The last big cardboard display I remember was for the "Touch" album and it stood in the window of Clark's Record Shop on Dorr Street in Toledo for a couple of years.

Didn't they do the theme from "Exodus" on the David Frost Show?

Didn't they do the theme from "Exodus" on the David Frost Show?
    The recording I have ends with "Heaven Help Us All" and sounds like the end of the show. The only time I've ever heard The Supremes do "Exodus" was when Lynda sang lead in Hawaii. I would really like to hear Jean's lead on it.

the two recordings of MLC in Hawaii are quite good. especially considering Lynda was making not only her performance debut with the group but also having to take on lead vocals!! The three of them have a great blend and she does a very nice job. i think this could have been a strong lineup

M and C had a perfect blend when it came to the backgrounds, regardless of who was singing lead. They were really a wonderful pairing

Agreed....the blend with Mary Scherrie and Cindy unit was the most controlled...live
    and in the studio.

the produced and arranged by jimy webb lp went to 128 on t pop charts a major flop. The suprees 75 did worse at 152 but had big disco hit like hes my mancand early morning love and this is why i believe..color my world blue

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    the produced and arranged by jimy webb lp went to 128 on t pop charts a major flop. The suprees 75 did worse at 152 but had big disco hit like hes my mancand early morning love and this is why i believe..color my world blue

I remember seeing the "Produced and Arranged by Jimmy Webb" album advertised in the paper with albums on sale at Montgomery Wards back at the time. The cover was a turn off for a lot of people. Some walked right passed it not know it was the Supremes latest album.

The cover was wrong it should havr been omitted for a group shot. t high energy cover was a different story because. It had 4 suptemes singing on at least 2 cuts

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    The cover was wrong it should havr been omitted for a group shot. t high energy cover was a different story because. It had 4 suptemes singing on at least 2 cuts
    Yes and the High Energy cover was classy, modern art. I thought it should have also been offered as a poster.

I think I may have once seen a Touch display too...but I think it was the back cover photo. I once had the radio interview disc, which was a few snippets of not too interesting or revealing talking placed between every few edited cuts. the cover was the same as the standard LP but in B&W...this joined a lot of my collectables on ebay when I downsized about 15 years ago. I loved the Touch cover photo...all the hot fluorescent
    edging outlining that beautiful soft and tasteful B&W shot. Cindy owned that cover!
    Jean and Mary look great and gorgeous....but Cindy Birdsong looked super stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornton View Post
    You're right, Martha was on Don Kirshner's program, not Midnight Special. Saturday Night Live would have been another great venue to promote their work, even if their sound wasn't quite the right fit for the show.
    Martha did appear on the Midnight Special promoting her first solo album. She sang POWER OF LOVE.

I watched both Midnight Special and Don Kirshners all the time. They remain some of the 70's best TV performances and often the acts that were on there didn't do a lot of afternoon or variety talk show TV. Kirshner was already along time veteran in the music business having been big in publishing in the early 60's so he knew many of the oldie and fading acts and gave them exposure....Midnight Special was also good to top 40 one hit wonders and many 70's clips from both shows along with UK's Top of The Pops
    and Germany's Disco show exist on youtube and are a fun watch

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I watched both Midnight Special and Don Kirshners all the time. They remain some of the 70's best TV performances and often the acts that were on there didn't do a lot of afternoon or variety talk show TV. Kirshner was already along time veteran in the music business having been big in publishing in the early 60's so he knew many of the oldie and fading acts and gave them exposure....Midnight Special was also good to top 40 one hit wonders and many 70's clips from both shows along with UK's Top of The Pops
    and Germany's Disco show exist on youtube and are a fun watch
    The Don Kirshner produced show was called "Rock Concert" and I remember it also coming on Friday nights. That and Midnight Special catered to you a younger audience than the daytime talk/variety shows in the 70s. I also remember a syndicated show from the U.K. called "Supersonic". It came on Saturday mornings in Detroit on WXYZ Channel 7. The Supremes appeared and performed "He's My Man".

I've seen clips from Supersonic, but never the Supremes....didn't they go for the teeny bopper set? A lot of the UK early 70's shows frequently featured glam rock stars that were burning up the UK and Euro charts, but had very limited success here in the USA.
    T.Rex, Sweet and even Detroit's own hard rocking hellcat and one of my personal favorites...Suzi Quatro!

I've seen clips from Supersonic, but never the Supremes....didn't they go for the teeny bopper set? A lot of the UK early 70's shows frequently featured glam rock stars that were burning up the UK and Euro charts, but had very limited success here in the USA.
    T.Rex, Sweet and even Detroit's own hard rocking hellcat and one of my personal favorites...Suzi Quatro!
    It was indeed aimed at the teen market, but Marv is correct. The Supremes did indeed appear on Supersonic and performed "he's my man". I thought it was a strange choice of tv show for the girls to perform on. They also did "he's my man" on top of the pops around the same time, but despite a lot of airplay on radio including a record of the week on the Tony Blackburn's radio 1 show it stalled at around no.65. Cannot remember the exact position, but it was a major disappointment.

Some Supersonic episode were repackaged for the U.S. under a most unusual title:

https://www.modcinema.com/categories...ox-tv-1979-dvd

I thought the production was a bit over the top. They had the Supremes singing while all of this glitter and balloons were falling all around them. It was fun and distracting at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Some Supersonic episode were repackaged for the U.S. under a most unusual title:

https://www.modcinema.com/categories...ox-tv-1979-dvd
    I notice in the description that he says the show was seen throughout the U.S. in 1978-79 which may be true for some U.S. markets. However, we saw it in 1975-76 in Detroit. I was away in college in 1978-79 and never saw that show again.