[REMOVE ADS]

Will Record Labels Soon Have A Sirius Problem?

I don't love the idea of SiriusXM and Pandora being one company [[monoply!!) but streaming has been the way to go for years now. Record labels have always been greedy, lazy, and slow to adapt to change. It's their responsibility to meet these challenges. [[Sidebar: funny how during the lp years fans carped against record labels for above-noted behaviors as well as lack of profit distribution with record makers but now that the record industry has all but collapsed the same fans have transferred their complaints for satellite radio and streaming services, pining for the golden days of the lp).

I recently saw the number one album in January 2019 sold 1300 copies one week and 800 the next

Sales of anything physical are done

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I recently saw the number one album in January 2019 sold 1300 copies one week and 800 the next

Sales of anything physical are done
    Seems like. A generational shift to be sure. It is what it is.

Yeah, it's all streaming these days.

Why bother buying a 12-song CD for £8.99 when you can pay not even double that to listen to [[almost) every goddamn song in the world [[albeit on a monthly basis)...

These articles are boring me lol

Just had an all Prince channel blow up recently.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post

Why bother buying a 12-song CD for £8.99 when you can pay not even double that to listen to [[almost) every goddamn song in the world [[albeit on a monthly basis)...
    Obviously a personal thing but to me one great CD with track info and excellent liner notes is worth far more in terms of satisfaction than a lifetime of subscriptions to a streaming service. There's just no comparison. So clearly, for the likes of me it isn't about the cost - there's more to it and I probably need a shrink lol. To see, to feel and to hold [[the product) is as valuable as to hear IMHO..

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post

We all have our 'druthers' and for me, I'd rather pay for the CD, either physical or download, rather than to stream anything on a mobile device. Having enough data allowance to stream is 'normal and expected' for many folk; however, my budget constraints make it difficult to pay for the extra streaming required under my mobile data plan. 2GB a month just ain't gonna get it! I'm one of those guys who like to just use my music library on my phone [[iTunes) with music I've downloaded while at home.

^^^ you should talk to your provider. Most new plans are unlimited. Also, if you are of a certain age, you would qualify for an unlimited, low cost, senior [[over 55) plan. No disrespect intended.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Obviously a personal thing but to me one great CD with track info and excellent liner notes is worth far more in terms of satisfaction than a lifetime of subscriptions to a streaming service. There's just no comparison. So clearly, for the likes of me it isn't about the cost - there's more to it and I probably need a shrink lol. To see, to feel and to hold [[the product) is as valuable as to hear IMHO..
    So you buy the great cd/vinyl and listen to it for years on and off. Then the offer of streaming comes up and you give it a listen only to find different mixes to the ones you cherished. Alternatively, you find the stream version of your grail only to have it removed from the library after several months. Also, the sound quality can vary quite a lot when you compile playlists? I agree, if I was about forty years younger, I would likely be storing my collection in my arse pocket. However, I'm not seventeen so please forward the address of your shrink if and when you find him.

I don’t subscribe to any streaming services, but I do understand the convenience and variety that it can provide.

But I like to own my music.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    ^^^ you should talk to your provider. Most new plans are unlimited. Also, if you are of a certain age, you would qualify for an unlimited, low cost, senior [[over 55) plan. No disrespect intended.
    I am of a certain age, and no disrespect was taken from your suggestion. My provider [[xFinity) provides FREE mobile service; however, one must pay for any data plan which begins at $12 for 1 GB. I can splurge for unlimited which I believe is $45 per month. All in all, I realize this monthly amount for both mobile service with unlimited data [[$45) beats a lot of plans out there. I am just one of those who 'sacrifice' unlimited data by only getting 1 GB per month. Watching my pennies! Thanks for the suggestion.

I have a number of downloaded tracks I'm tired of, how can I sell them on?

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    I have a number of downloaded tracks I'm tired of, how can I sell them on?
    yeah and how can we be proud of our download collection? And when the next new configuration comes out, how do we store our download collection in the garage?

I just read that Warner Music is considering putting out an IPO and listing on the stock exchange. I had no idea that Warner Music was no longer part of Warner but just carries its name. The industry as I once knew it, is dead and the remnants are greek to me. I don't understand it at all.

Back in the day, if a record sold 1200 copies a week, it would be in the cut out bin, now it is on top of the charts.

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/...po-1234615985/