[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes 70s Nathan Jones Promotion.

The only appearance I'm aware of is The Tonight Show hosted by Joe Namath that night early June 1971. I read on Carson's site many years ago that the tape was destroyed. I know it was sung live with Jean singing a false start and had to start over and that they wore hot pants outfits that were trendy then.

Why wasn't this promoted on U.S. television much more? I believe it would have charted higher for sure. I did read where they lip-synced it on a Cilla Black TV show but I suppose that was BBC. I would give anything to see that unless it no longer exists either. Nathan Jones remains probably my favorite of the Jean era. Also I would imagine Sullivan would have been in reruns by that point as 1971 was his last year.

They did David Frost, I believe in April, just prior to it being released but didn't sing it on his show either or it was pre-recorded. That #16 was a disappointment but our local radio station it did hit #1 as I remember I Am...I Said by Neil Diamond was #2. Last great year for The Motown Sound.

I would think Nathan Jones live would have to have sounded quite unlike the record, with all that phasing and double-tracking. But that didn't stop You Keep Me Hangin' On from sounding great live.

It did lose much of its impact sung live but I didn't care, it was The New Supremes! Even with Diana I preferred lip-syncing. I'm one of those who wanted to hear the same thing as the record but did enjoy their live performances as well. For example, Mother Dear was much better on Red Skelton compared to the live version sung on Dean Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    The only appearance I'm aware of is The Tonight Show hosted by Joe Namath that night early June 1971. I read on Carson's site many years ago that the tape was destroyed. I know it was sung live with Jean singing a false start and had to start over and that they wore hot pants outfits that were trendy then.

Why wasn't this promoted on U.S. television much more? I believe it would have charted higher for sure. I did read where they lip-synced it on a Cilla Black TV show but I suppose that was BBC. I would give anything to see that unless it no longer exists either. Nathan Jones remains probably my favorite of the Jean era. Also I would imagine Sullivan would have been in reruns by that point as 1971 was his last year.

They did David Frost, I believe in April, just prior to it being released but didn't sing it on his show either or it was pre-recorded. That #16 was a disappointment but our local radio station it did hit #1 as I remember I Am...I Said by Neil Diamond was #2. Last great year for The Motown Sound.
    "Nathan Jones" was also a favorite of mine. It was better than a lot of their 60s songs. Don't believe that about the Johnny Carson/Tonight Show was destroyed. They have releasing on DVD shows that go all way back to 1965 on DVD. Did you see that Marvin and Tammi performance from '67? I've learned not to believe it when someone says "it was destroyed". They had ways of saving the programs and they turn up years later if there is interest. Didn't the Supremes also appear on the Dick Cavett Show in the early 70s? I saw them on The Pearl Bailey Show, but that was a few months before "Nathan Jones" was released.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    I would think Nathan Jones live would have to have sounded quite unlike the record, with all that phasing and double-tracking. But that didn't stop You Keep Me Hangin' On from sounding great live.
    Mary and her singers did a great live version of the song in 2011and it was not that different from the recording.

I don't know if I am remembering this right...but I had a fan circulated tape that had Nathan Jones from the Tonight Show...and the band was racing the intro full brass ahead and Jean stopped them and said "Easy, Easy"???? I am glad I got the Mono single, because the LP mix has no "punch" at all....found that to be the case with everything from Someday We'll Be Together thru to Floy Joy...the LP versions sound "compressed"...that's why "70's Greatest Hits & Rare Classics" is my "go to" 70's CD. I just program it to bypass the Webb LP cuts and This Is Why I Believe.
    I never heard Nathan Jones on AM radio...last thing I heard played was River Deep..next was FM WBLS soul You're What's Missing In My Life....I was a FM rock freak '73 - '85 so only RnB / Disco I heard were in the car on AM or visiting friends.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I don't know if I am remembering this right...but I had a fan circulated tape that had Nathan Jones from the Tonight Show...and the band was racing the intro full brass ahead and Jean stopped them and said "Easy, Easy"???? I am glad I got the Mono single, because the LP mix has no "punch" at all....found that to be the case with everything from Someday We'll Be Together thru to Floy Joy...the LP versions sound "compressed"...that's why "70's Greatest Hits & Rare Classics" is my "go to" 70's CD. I just program it to bypass the Webb LP cuts and This Is Why I Believe.
    I never heard Nathan Jones on AM radio...last thing I heard played was River Deep..next was FM WBLS soul You're What's Missing In My Life....I was a FM rock freak '73 - '85 so only RnB / Disco I heard were in the car on AM or visiting friends.
    WCBS and WWRL played "Nathan Jones" regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    WCBS and WWRL played "Nathan Jones" regularly.
    I listened to WABC....they played Everybody's Got The Right a lot, and I'm Still Waiting so much I didn't realize till the internet age they weren't top 10 placings

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I listened to WABC....they played Everybody's Got The Right a lot, and I'm Still Waiting so much I didn't realize till the internet age they weren't top 10 placings
    Back when "Bill, When Are You Coming Back" was released [[as a B-side), radio stations in Toledo and Detroit played it like it was the follow up single to "Up the Ladder to the Roof". Philly radio stations had a practice of doing that, creating their own popular singles from what had been releaseds. They would flip a record over without hesistation.

Back when "Bill, When Are You Coming Back" was released [[as a B-side), radio stations in Toledo and Detroit played it like it was the follow up single to "Up the Ladder to the Roof". Philly radio stations had a practice of doing that, creating their own popular singles from what had been releaseds. They would flip a record over without hesistation.
    WKNR 13 in Detroit played Nathan often. Here is a LINK showing Nathan at 24. Just look at the talent on the playlist. http://las-solanas.com/arsa/chart_view.php?sv=10305

I think I may have heard Nathan Jones on the radio a few times, but never did hear it on television[[must have missed the Tonight Show). After Up the Ladder, Everybody and Stoned Love were on television a decent amount it was unusual not to hear their latest song promoted on tv. It may not have sounded the same as the excellent recording but I am sure they would have worked it out. I didn't hear Touch at all and the next song promoted on television was Your Wonderful sweet, Sweet Love which they did on Flip wilson and Sonny & Cher. That only hit #69 and the previous songs Floy Joy and Automatically Sunshine did better with no exposure [[#16 & #37). I wonder if the lack of televison exposure helped to slow down since they were everywhere in 1970 and by 1971 not promoting their singles. It seemed by the time they rebounded in 1972-3 with TV appearances for their singles that they had fallen out of favor and it was too late to keep the momentum going. I Guess I'll Miss The man was on a bit but stalled at #85, Bad weather was also on tv but did even worse at #87. I think had they had the exposure on tv, Nathan Jones would have hit higher than #16. Of course, that was still higher than some of the DRATS chartings. Still, it seems if the group had still been somewhat on air more in 1971 that the momentum would have stayed a bit better. I never heard Floy Joy on the radio but did hear Automatically Sunshine. In fact, I won the Floy Joy LP off of a local radio station and I overheard the DJ[[not on air but on the phone) say what? we are giving that away? But, we've played that one! this show usually gave away new or unknown artists and not popular things. i was a teen and I even knew something was up at the time. It seemed once 1971 hit, the Supremes were less on the radio and on the air. Nathan Jones should have been at least top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    WKNR 13 in Detroit played Nathan often. Here is a LINK showing Nathan at 24. Just look at the talent on the playlist. http://las-solanas.com/arsa/chart_view.php?sv=10305

Wow! Hey thank you DET! I loved Keener-13 back in the day. I remember them playing "Stoned Love" a lot too.

Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    I think I may have heard Nathan Jones on the radio a few times, but never did hear it on television[[must have missed the Tonight Show). After Up the Ladder, Everybody and Stoned Love were on television a decent amount it was unusual not to hear their latest song promoted on tv. It may not have sounded the same as the excellent recording but I am sure they would have worked it out. I didn't hear Touch at all and the next song promoted on television was Your Wonderful sweet, Sweet Love which they did on Flip wilson and Sonny & Cher. That only hit #69 and the previous songs Floy Joy and Automatically Sunshine did better with no exposure [[#16 & #37). I wonder if the lack of televison exposure helped to slow down since they were everywhere in 1970 and by 1971 not promoting their singles. It seemed by the time they rebounded in 1972-3 with TV appearances for their singles that they had fallen out of favor and it was too late to keep the momentum going. I Guess I'll Miss The man was on a bit but stalled at #85, Bad weather was also on tv but did even worse at #87. I think had they had the exposure on tv, Nathan Jones would have hit higher than #16. Of course, that was still higher than some of the DRATS chartings. Still, it seems if the group had still been somewhat on air more in 1971 that the momentum would have stayed a bit better. I never heard Floy Joy on the radio but did hear Automatically Sunshine. In fact, I won the Floy Joy LP off of a local radio station and I overheard the DJ[[not on air but on the phone) say what? we are giving that away? But, we've played that one! this show usually gave away new or unknown artists and not popular things. i was a teen and I even knew something was up at the time. It seemed once 1971 hit, the Supremes were less on the radio and on the air. Nathan Jones should have been at least top 10.
    You never heard "Floy Joy" on the radio? Where were you living? It was played a lot on Pop and Soul stations in Michigan, Ohio and Windsor, Canada.
    Last edited by marv2; 05-20-2020 at 12:57 PM.

well,in Pittsburgh it was not on very much if at all. I won the LP off of local station WTAE and they played it before giving it away. Local stations like KQV, B94 and WAMO played these songs but not as much as you would think. I remember hearing Let Yourself Go on WAMO and they played Mary Wilson's Red Hot which hit #7 on their playlist one week and then it was off the playlist. Remember hearing Red Hot on someone's boombox while walking down fifth avenue downtown on my way to school. But, no, Floy Joy was not played although heard Automatically Sunshine a few times.

"Your Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love" went to #59 on Billboard's Hot 100 in America. It went to #22 on Billboard's R&B Chart.

well,in Pittsburgh it was not on very much if at all. I won the LP off of local station WTAE and they played it before giving it away. Local stations like KQV, B94 and WAMO played these songs but not as much as you would think. I remember hearing Let Yourself Go on WAMO and they played Mary Wilson's Red Hot which hit #7 on their playlist one week and then it was off the playlist. Remember hearing Red Hot on someone's boombox while walking down fifth avenue downtown on my way to school. But, no, Floy Joy was not played although heard Automatically Sunshine a few times.
    "Floy Joy" went to #5 on Billboard's R&B Charts and #16 on the Hot 100. I can remember them blasting it at a Jr. High sock hop at my school in January 1972 with everyone dancing to it.

To be honest, I heard Up The Ladder and Stoned Love quite a bit on the radio. Everybody got some airplay. After Stoned Love, they were played less and less. I remember Nathan Jones and river deep with the 4 Tops getting airplay. I never heard Touch and would not have known it was a single until I saw it at the record store. Floy Joy was not played in my town, only heard Automatically sunshine a few times, never heard Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love except for tv appearances-same for I guess I'll Miss the Man and Bad weather. I think the momentum was gone and since they were on tv less in 1971 and not getting the initial push they had, it started to wane. It would have been great to hear at my local school dance-but no, never happened here. Closest was hearing someone playing a radio while signing up at college and I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The walking was playing-gave me hope about the group and school!

It's funny to look at that chart or any charts from back then. I was a 45 buyer and had 27 of those singles from that chart alone. In my little neck of the woods they did have great radio and The Supremes were always consistent. Nathan Jones was played alot and I remember one night in April 1971 listening to my transistor I heard the tail end of it and knew right away it was Jean Terrell. I was in heaven and could not wait to hear the entire song which I finally did. It was the biggest surprise from them I ever imagined. I know I heard Touch at least once but it was pretty much DOA and then Floy Joy got a lot of airplay as did Automatic, Sweet Sweet Love and Bad Weather only a few times and it too was gone. Miss The Man I don't recall hearing on radio, only the known tv shows.I remember hearing The Supremes 1975 radio promo and was very surprised by that though I never heard any of the singles get played [[except tv) until Heart Do The Walking a few times and that was it. I thought for sure He's My Man would do something but for the first time ever, I had to even special order the single. In the past if it was Motown, our stores always had it. But the 70s Supremes like the 60s will always have heavy rotation here but those first 2 years with Jean Terrell were magical. Oh yeah, I wanted to mention, River Deep got major airplay too. Another record while Stoned Love was HOT? It was sensational.
    Last edited by nathanj06; 05-20-2020 at 02:22 PM.

Nathan Jones is a great topic!! so much fun discussion and speculation we can make here

1. tv appearances - you're right that more tv could have helped. Problem though is the song was released in mid April and entered the charts on 5/8. So many shows were already done with their season by then and had shifted to reruns. unfortunately there weren't nearly the options today of live or more current programming. also there just wasn't as good of a synchronization between media - tv, radio, music, etc. Record companies and managers didn't necessarily have the options or resources to pull together quite as strong of a media blitz as they do today. Not that they didn't plan marketing - of course they did. But tv was a much more limited option then

2. release schedule - NJ released on 4/15 and entered charts on 5/8. You Gotta Have Love was released 5/11 and entered the charts on 6/5. NJ then peaked on the charts on 6/19. clearly the release of 2 singles on top of one another was an issue

3. radio formats and programming directors - this topic i don't know the details well enough. but in general, radio stations were becoming more corporate and you had them making more executive decisions on format and playlists versus earlier when it was the dj. There's certainly lots of instances where they supremes appeared at radio and dj conventions, lots of their PR time was gladhanding with the djs, etc. No idea how much or how well they did this in the 70s. Mary mentions that lots of motown act were starting to struggle in 71 and 72. Was motown less focused on the djs? was Lady Sings funneling executive attention and marketing dollars away from this? no idea.

Some fans have tried the tired old line of "motown wasn't sending radio stations the promo copies of single" but this is just frankly not true. Go onto ebay right now or into any used record store and you can ALWAYS find tons of white-label 70 Sups songs. i have several in my own collection. they're easily available now which means they were clearly shipped out in the 70s. now whether the press kit and materials was well-thought out and prompted the dj to play or not is a different matter. but the promo 45s exist in plenty

on another note regarding NJ, i too have always liked the song. But a fan not too long ago made on here made me thinking a little different on it.

most of the songs build. Listen to Up the Ladder. perfect example. you go through a couple choruses and versus and the intensity grows. but then you drop back down in the bridge and it builds up again. only this time more intensely than before until you have a big exciting ending.

nathan does the versus and chorus and a GREAT bridge. But the ending simply returns the listener to the same plateau as the previous peak. other than a few ad libs from jean, the ending choruses could be the same as the earlier.

on Ladder, the ending choruses are WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY elevated over the earlier.

so IMO the song never truly peaks and therefore never really felt 100% complete. The track has the great horn section, amazing melody and singing, that awesome synthesizer. Bring the horns up and let them really go, have jean REALLY let loose. do more and bigger synth work.

It's funny to look at that chart or any charts from back then. I was a 45 buyer and had 27 of those singles from that chart alone. In my little neck of the woods they did have great radio and The Supremes were always consistent. Nathan Jones was played alot and I remember one night in April 1971 listening to my transistor I heard the tail end of it and knew right away it was Jean Terrell. I was in heaven and could not wait to hear the entire song which I finally did. It was the biggest surprise from them I ever imagined. I know I heard Touch at least once but it was pretty much DOA and then Floy Joy got a lot of airplay as did Automatic, Sweet Sweet Love and Bad Weather only a few times and it too was gone. Miss The Man I don't recall hearing on radio, only the known tv shows.I remember hearing The Supremes 1975 radio promo and was very surprised by that though I never heard any of the singles get played [[except tv) until Heart Do The Walking a few times and that was it. I thought for sure He's My Man would do something but for the first time ever, I had to even special order the single. In the past if it was Motown, our stores always had it. But the 70s Supremes like the 60s will always have heavy rotation here but those first 2 years with Jean Terrell were magical. Oh yeah, I wanted to mention, River Deep got major airplay too. Another record while Stoned Love was HOT? It was sensational.
    A lot of material on the link, but just click find [[the 3 dots top right on browser and go from there) and enter the artist and u can simply click to where the the artist's name appears. The Sups have approx. 12 mentions. Looks like Nathan was at No. 6 and Touch was an Album pick. have fun in a rush gotta go.................

https://www.americanradiohistory.com...1971-06-26.pdf

I heard "Stoned Love" Monday morning on Canadian station CKWW. It is an oldies station I listen to over the internet. Songs, like "I Guess I'll Miss the Man" and "Automatically Sunshine" I heard on what we called then, MOR later Adult Contemporary stations when they were new releases.

https://www.facebook.com/11687660833...033301274004/?

from the seventies supremes Facebook page from the Central Park concert June 1971

In Baltimore they played all the big hits like Ladder...stoned...Nathan.....n Floy Joy.... But I never heard any other songs other than River Deep......
    Surprised Nathan didn't get the exposure the other songs did...but I don't think Floy got much tv exposure either.

They did it on Merv Griffin Jan 27, 1972 and in soul train may 1973
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    In Baltimore they played all the big hits like Ladder...stoned...Nathan.....n Floy Joy.... But I never heard any other songs other than River Deep......
    Surprised Nathan didn't get the exposure the other songs did...but I don't think Floy got much tv exposure either.

Touch as a single killed them. After that they were old. And any momentum was gone. And the personnel changes hurt. Particularly after Jean left, they couldn't recover even though they have excellent voices in Scherrie and Susaye.

Yet the Touch album, at least to fans, was a very good album.

I heard "Stoned Love" Monday morning on Canadian station CKWW. It is an oldies station I listen to over the internet. Songs, like "I Guess I'll Miss the Man" and "Automatically Sunshine" I heard on what we called then, MOR later Adult Contemporary stations when they were new releases.
    SiriusXM Soultown has been playing Stoned Love and Floy Joy daily.

I saw her sing it in the Fall of 2009 with her Original background Effects. Perfection!

SiriusXM Soultown has been playing Stoned Love and Floy Joy daily.
    Marv where is CKWW?

Yet another of those 70’s Supreme singles that did extremely well in the UK yet less so in it’s homeland. Not that a 16 chart position is to be sniffed at.
    I have always thought the song to be rather sophisticated and perhaps a little ahead of it’s time. It’s still occasionally played on UK radio so has stood the test of time.
    I agree with sup in that Motown releasing two singles so close together was just plain daft.........But that’s Motown for you!.

Marv where is CKWW?
    It is in Windsor. In the old CKLW building! AM580 they call themselves.

From blackguy69: They did it [[Floy Joy) on Merv Griffin Jan 27, 1972 and in soul train may 1973.

There is audio of the Merv show which I believe they opened with Where You Lead. After some talk, Merv presented them with a gold record for Nathan Jones but then they sang Floy Joy. What? Why didn't they just do Nathan as well as the then new Floy Joy? Another gold record with a gal who replaced Diana Ross was cause for celebration I'd think. Oh in retrospect.

From blackguy69: They did it [[Floy Joy) on Merv Griffin Jan 27, 1972 and in soul train may 1973.

There is audio of the Merv show which I believe they opened with Where You Lead. After some talk, Merv presented them with a gold record for Nathan Jones but then they sang Floy Joy. What? Why didn't they just do Nathan as well as the then new Floy Joy? Another gold record with a gal who replaced Diana Ross was cause for celebration I'd think. Oh in retrospect.
    They could have achieved tons of gold records with Jean Terrell.

Was listening to Sirius radio this morning; I love the 70's on Channel 7.

On the weekends, they play Casey Kasem's "American Top 40"; so fun to still hear his voice on the radio, and other than a few commercials, they play the entire show as it was originally broadcast.

Today it was the Top 40 for the week of May 22, 1971. And guess what was #40? Nathan Jones!

So fun to hear it, but especially with the other songs it was up against at the time. This was the week that Carol King's "It's Too Late" was released.

One song I took note of was #21 [[which ultimately is as high as it got) was Fuzz "I Love You For All Seasons".

Here is a repost. Hope you enjoy it the second time around

This was fun. Thanks for posting. They sounded great even through the old audio.

When Merv said, "11 months on the road?!" Jean said, "That's what I said!" That was just one of several funny, revealing statements.
    Jean also admits to being the sickest one.

A really funny one was when Jean paused when Merv asked Jean if she'd been a fan before she joined the group. She paused at first, but then tore it up when she admitted to being just a little girl in grammar school." Mary says, "Wait!!"

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Here is a repost. Hope you enjoy it the second time around

Yeah, I bet that the video of this still exists!

I swear I have seen the video for this performance. The ladies did a Gr8 job on Floy. The Interview itself was really good.

I swear I have seen the video for this performance. The ladies did a Gr8 job on Floy. The Interview itself was really good.
    I've seen a still photo or two. I can't remember if I watch this one on TV. If it came on during the day, I was in school.