[REMOVE ADS]

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I've never voted Tory in a General Election, but I thought Theresa May's Downing Street speech was pretty good. I just hope it was more truthful than Maggie Thatcher's when she first became PM.

I've voted both Conservative and Labour in the last two decades.

I did that for reasons which I thought would be better for the country, rather than following a lifetime custom, or for strictly personal preferences.

To me, Labour aren't offering a strong alternative at the present time. I'm not impressed by Jeremy Corbyn.

I agree with 144man, that Theresa May is in a strong position and, in these very early stages, is looking quietly impressive.

I tried to be open-minded, but voted to 'Remain', as I hadn't gained a strong impression of a clear plan, should we leave the EU.

However, the majority of the votes were to leave, and Theresa May has declared she will be following the wishes of the voters.

I'm hoping that during Mrs May's work in her term as Prime Minister, some positive advantages of the UK no longer being a member of the EU will unfold.

At the moment, I'm very much inclined to vote for her at the next General Election.

I was firmly in Andrea's camp and I am delighted she has a position. At least she will be able to sit around the table and frown at those who don't follow the will of the people. LOL

I love the uproar over Boris' appointment. Those critics will soon find out that they will have under-estimated his abilities. He's much cleverer than he is given credit for. Nevertheless, that still doesn't stop him from acting a fool.

I'm very hopeful that Theresa can pull us through all this.....and if she does well in 2 years, she might even get me to vote Tory at the next election.....

I read recently that Theresa May has long had a barely disguised dislike of Boris Johnson.

If that is indeed true, I'm not entirely sure if she has given him the position of Foreign Secretary as an opportunity for him to show how good he is...or how bad.

Theresa May has an air of quiet competence, but also a certain steeliness about her.

I have a feeling Boris Johnson may have just one chance, and not long to prove it.

Time will tell......

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post

I love the uproar over Boris' appointment. Those critics will soon find out that they will have under-estimated his abilities. He's much cleverer than he is given credit for. Nevertheless, that still doesn't stop him from acting a fool.
    Did you ever see Boris Johnson's "Who Do You Think You Are"? it has to be the most fascinating ones I've ever seen and is well worth spending an hour watching. I've posted a link to the episode below.

It is a while since I saw it but from memory he was born in New York, one of his Grandfathers was a leading Turkish politician who fell foul of Kemal Ataturk after WW1 and one of his Grandmothers was descended from a German Royal family and was in possession of some of their "Crown Jewels" which she gave away to some family members so they could emigrate to Canada!!

Roger

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v19556925Mj3exT5Y

Boris lives a stone's thrown away from me. He lives in the best house in the street..right next to the river.

He must have been born with a couple of silver spoons in his mouth

Theresa is going to meet Nicola to talk about Brexit.

I wish a could be a fly on the wall. I'd pay good money for a seat at the front.

As Theresa says she will not govern for the privileged few, it will be interesting to see if Andrea tries to reintroduce foxhunting.

First major trade deal since Brexit is that the US has agreed to allow imports of UK beef and lamb for the first time in nineteen years.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    First major trade deal since Brexit is that the US has agreed to allow imports of UK beef and lamb for the first time in nineteen years.
    Why were they banned?

As Theresa says she will not govern for the privileged few, it will be interesting to see if Andrea tries to reintroduce foxhunting.
    I hope not

I hope not
    Oh I don't know ... seeing as most of the foxes seem to have migrated into the cities [[they are quite commonplace around where I live) I quite fancy the idea of seeing hunts livening up the vicinity .. Sunday Afternoons could see packs of hounds in pursuit of some cunning Reynard, it would certainly make visits to Manor Park Cemetery more interesting and those lucky enough to be driving over the flyover on The North Circular could admire the sight of the hunt dodging the express trains on the route out to East Anglia.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Why were they banned?
    It was probably as a result of the outbreak of BSE [[Bovine Spongine Encephalitis .. a disease also known as "Mad Cow Disease"). For a few years none of our "friends" in Continental Europe allowed importation of British beef either .. though it was always on sale here.

There is a bit about it here ... http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/i...ase-outbreaks#

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Oh I don't know ... seeing as most of the foxes seem to have migrated into the cities [[they are quite commonplace around where I live) I quite fancy the idea of seeing hunts livening up the vicinity .. Sunday Afternoons could see packs of hounds in pursuit of some cunning Reynard, it would certainly make visits to Manor Park Cemetery more interesting and those lucky enough to be driving over the flyover on The North Circular could admire the sight of the hunt dodging the express trains on the route out to East Anglia.

Roger
    My ancestors are all buried over that way..the City Of London cemetery is one of two over there.

We have foxes on our estate...they come out at night....a bit like my dentures! LOL

It was probably as a result of the outbreak of BSE [[Bovine Spongine Encephalitis .. a disease also known as "Mad Cow Disease"). For a few years none of our "friends" in Continental Europe allowed importation of British beef either .. though it was always on sale here.

There is a bit about it here ... http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/i...ase-outbreaks#

Roger
    Thanks for reminding me.

honest man Guest

Roger
    Hopefully the train will not miss them,an eye for eye and all that jazz.

Now that we have a government which is committed to Brexit, what is the point of the continued existence of UKIP?

Now that we have a government which is committed to Brexit, what is the point of the continued existence of UKIP?
    I dare say that will be made clear sooner rather than later.

UKIP seems to be in meltdown what with leader Diane James resigning after only 18 days in charge and two UKIP Members of the European Parliament having a punch up with each other.

I can't say I'm surprised. On the whole most people I know who voted Remain seem to be generally nicer than those who voted Leave.

UKIP seems to be in meltdown what with leader Diane James resigning after only 18 days in charge and two UKIP Members of the European Parliament having a punch up with each other.
    Apparently Diane James resigned because she was abused at a train station
    I'm sorry, who even knows who she is? LOL!

Nigel Farage has somehow regained leadership of the party for the third time - good ol' Nige
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 10-07-2016 at 07:29 PM.

Like it or not [[which I don't), we're leaving the EU, so I don't see the need for UKIP now. It looks like they could become a new version of the National Front.

Like it or not [[which I don't), we're leaving the EU, so I don't see the need for UKIP now. It looks like they could become a new version of the National Front.
    Hmm, we do have the BNP, who I'm sure wouldn't appreciate UKIP encroaching on their far-right, nationalistic, racist politics, LOL!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 10-07-2016 at 08:14 PM.

What annoys me is when people say that Britain voted to leave the EU.

No, it did not. Only England and Wales voted to leave, whereas Scotland and Northern Ireland most definitely voted to remain. The fact that prior to the referendum, nobody considered the implications of such a result speaks volumes about the inadequacy of our current brand of politicians.

No, it did not. Only England and Wales voted to leave, whereas Scotland and Northern Ireland most definitely voted to remain. The fact that prior to the referendum, nobody considered the implications of such a result speaks volumes about the inadequacy of our current brand of politicians.
    Technically we are a united nation [[well, we're supposed to be) and we should probably leave the EU as one

And you're right about the politicians - I mean, what was Boris thinking?! Lol

It is very unusual for major constitutional changes to the status quo to be made on a simple majority e.g. ordination of women in church required all constituent bodies to agree, and changes to fixed-term parliaments requires a two-thirds majority.

Someone here took me to task on this. Give it time. Some of it may play out as we are speculating.

It is very unusual for major constitutional changes to the status quo to be made on a simple majority e.g. ordination of women in church required all constituent bodies to agree, and changes to fixed-term parliaments requires a two-thirds majority.
    Yes, it was a very very slight majority, but a majority nevertheless, so I guess that means we have to leave

Although...technically the referendum was advisory and not binding, so.......

Not only that. I'm English but I feel the Scots have been duped. Their referendum was based on the assumption that they would remain part of the EU. To drag them out now against their will smacks of colonialism.

Someone pointed this out to be the other day. I have lost that reference but here is another one

http://resources.woodlands-junior.ke...in/britain.htm

Britain = England and Wales
    Great Britain = England Wales and Scotland

So I guess that it would be true to say Britain did in fact vote to leave the UK!

It's been so long that I did geography that I'd forgotten these differences.

Not only that. I'm English but I feel the Scots have been duped. Their referendum was based on the assumption that they would remain part of the EU. To drag them out now against their will smacks of colonialism.
    Hmm, I don't know
    Scotland voted to remain in the UK with a slight majority, but to remain nonetheless
    I think if we have to leave the EU we should just get it done, do it well, and do it together! Lol

What is Marmite?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    What is Marmite?
    What is marmite?! Lol

"a dark savoury spread made from yeast extract and vegetable extract"

Sounds interesting and pretty serious to the British people:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrin...D=ansmsnnews11

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    What is marmite?! Lol

"a dark savoury spread made from yeast extract and vegetable extract"
    It's fermented yeast extract. The taste is very...very...strong! It is like molasses, and very...very...strong!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Sounds interesting and pretty serious to the British people
    Hehe, of all the things we were warned about marmite shortage was not one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hehe, of all the things we were warned about marmite shortage was not one!!!
    I've always been told marmite is something you either love or hate, so how comes I can take it or leave it?

With every passing day, I am getting more and more worried that if the UK goes for a hard Brexit, it will be able to survive as a viable economic entity.

If we go for so-called "hard brexit" I'm sure we'll hear something along the lines of "hard brexit means hard brexit" and that will reassure everyone! Lol

Someone will form UKEP [[The United Kingdom European Party), and we'll rejoin the EU in a couple of generations LOL.

Someone will form UKEP [[The United Kingdom European Party), and we'll rejoin the EU in a couple of generations LOL.
    Hehehehe, probably, LOL!!!

Someone pointed this out to be the other day. I have lost that reference but here is another one

http://resources.woodlands-junior.ke...in/britain.htm

Britain = England and Wales
    Great Britain = England Wales and Scotland

So I guess that it would be true to say Britain did in fact vote to leave the UK!

It's been so long that I did geography that I'd forgotten these differences.
    If you include Northern Ireland, then it was a two-all draw.

HATE CRIMES SOAR AFTER BREXIT VOTE

"Hate crimes soared by 41% in the immediate aftermath of June's EU referendum, with nearly 5,500 racially or religiously aggravated offences reported to police, new Home Office figures revealed today. The statistics show that the number of such offences - including assaults, verbal abuse and xenophobic graffiti - stayed above pre-vote levels in August, with about 4,500 further incidents that month, despite falling from its July peak."

[Evening Standard, London, October 13]

I have a bad feeling that this isn't going to end well...

HATE CRIMES SOAR AFTER BREXIT VOTE

"Hate crimes soared by 41% in the immediate aftermath of June's EU referendum, with nearly 5,500 racially or religiously aggravated offences reported to police, new Home Office figures revealed today. The statistics show that the number of such offences - including assaults, verbal abuse and xenophobic graffiti - stayed above pre-vote levels in August, with about 4,500 further incidents that month, despite falling from its July peak."

[Evening Standard, London, October 13]

I have a bad feeling that this isn't going to end well...
    I agree, it doesn't look good

But I don't really get that: we left the EU [[or rather, voted to) so let's go and be violent and hateful, I mean, what's up with that??! Like racism and discrimination is allowed when we leave the EU!!?

Because a lot of the Leave campaign was directed against immigration, this has led the closet racists to feel it is now legitimate for them to openly express their hatred.

Because a lot of the Leave campaign was directed against immigration, this has led the closet racists to feel it is now legitimate for them to openly express their hatred.
    Yea, you're right there
    Sad but true!

I have to say that I have never been exposed to such bad feeling as a result of any other UK vote. It's truly awful. I read last week that one elderly Remainer in Manchester got so angry when a colleague admitted to being a Leaver that he attacked him and took his life.

Google Graham Dunne and Duncan Keating.

Simply terrible.

Exact, same thing is happening here with Trump. The minute Trump started in on birth certificates and building a wall along the Mexican border, he locked in the racists.

I have to say that I have never been exposed to such bad feeling as a result of any other UK vote. It's truly awful. I read last week that one elderly Remainer in Manchester got so angry when a colleague admitted to being a Leaver that he attacked him and took his life.

Google Graham Dunne and Duncan Keating.

Simply terrible.
    Looking at the views of the people who posted on the relevant google links to that story, most of the hatred there is directed against the Remainers. Where I live in London, 78% voted Remain, and the bad feeling is in the opposite direction.

It is not surprising that such bad feeling has been elicited. By the very Either/ Or nature of referendums, they will divide people and polarise opinion. The same thing happened after the Scottish independence referendum , which created many family rifts.

Looking at the views of the people who posted on the relevant google links to that story, most of the hatred there is directed against the Remainers. Where I live in London, 78% voted Remain, and the bad feeling is in the opposite direction.

It is not surprising that such bad feeling has been elicited. By the very Either/ Or nature of referendums, they will divide people and polarise opinion. The same thing happened after the Scottish independence referendum , which created many family rifts.
    There should have been a third option along the lines of "I'm a bit miffed with the EU but I don't really want to leave it"

If I'm really honest with myself, there were a few moments when I was beginning to waver. The racist killing of MP Jo Cox during the campaign galvanized me into voting Remain, reinforced by not wanting to be on the same side as creeps like Nigel Farage and John Redwood.