[REMOVE ADS]

The Temptations' Successors as Male Group Standard Bearers Are ...

... I have to say the dreaded Backstreet Boys. Because ... their name is frequently referred to. More recently the KPop group, I think BTS.

I'll go with New Edition. I think they were more like the Tempts as they could sing and dance at the same time. i don't think that they could sing as good as the Tempts, but they could sing on key.

Quote Originally Posted by stingbeelee View Post
    I'll go with New Edition. I think they were more like the Tempts as they could sing and dance at the same time. i don't think that they could sing as good as the Tempts, but they could sing on key.
    I agree! I’ve always said that while the Temptations are the superior group, NE had the better movie.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    ... I have to say the dreaded Backstreet Boys. Because ... their name is frequently referred to. More recently the KPop group, I think BTS.
    I think BTS is more comparable to the Beatles than the are the Tempts. But that’s just my opinion.

Why not Boyz II Men?

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Why not Boyz II Men?
    Don't dance.

Gotta agree with NE; I do hear them brought up in reviews of newer groups.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    Why not Boyz II Men?
    They’re more on par with the Four Tops, who were also quite pigeon toed.

Pulleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzz!!! Are you serious?? There are no sucessors to the temptin temptations,what other group has five lead singers? They won't come along in our lifetime,heck the only groups that could dance with em are-gladys knight and the pips-the manhattans-new edition-the artistics-the unifics-the o'jays,and all those groups had one,maybe two leads...no the temps are it today and tommorrow!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Pulleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzz!!! Are you serious?? There are no sucessors to the temptin temptations,what other group has five lead singers? They won't come along in our lifetime,heck the only groups that could dance with em are-gladys knight and the pips-the manhattans-new edition-the artistics-the unifics-the o'jays,and all those groups had one,maybe two leads...no the temps are it today and tommorrow!!
    Well, put it that way and I can't disagree! But ... what I'm thinking of is what male group of subsequent generations captured those generations as the Temps did.

I'm definitely in the minority here but I still consider Jodeci the last true soul outfit in music. Their swagger and aesthetic were those of a hip hop group but their songs were as soulful as anything since the '70s.

I'm assuming we're not going to consider groups like the Spinners, O'Jays, Whispers and Manhattans that maintained steam {and created even greater output} for decades. Even if they were peers with the Temps, something has to be said about the core of any musical group staying relevant for 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by stingbeelee View Post
    "Candy Girl" sounded more like a Jackson 5 record.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I know I'm getting old and foggy in the head but wasn't NE's sound practically
    modeled on The Jackson 5?...I remember first hearing them and going whoa, hold up!...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvdNNSPsXkI

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I agree, the Emperors of Soul!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Who are BTS? Never heard of them.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Mr. Telephone Man.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I know I'm getting old and foggy in the head but wasn't NE's sound practically
    modeled on The Jackson 5?...I remember first hearing them and going whoa, hold up!...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvdNNSPsXkI
    They were comparable to the J5 when they first came out, but they were more like the Temptations when they got older. They even had internal conflicts similar to the ones the tempts had.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Who are BTS? Never heard of them.
    They're a boy band from South Korea who are all the rage among the teenybopper set. Their appearances set off Beatlemania-esque frenzy all around the world.