[REMOVE ADS]

Early Marvelettes Demo

I recently acquired an acetate for a song called "Somebody Brought It" by the Marvelettes. Has anyone heard this before? I can't find anything about it online. The acetate is not in the best shape, so please forgive all the background/surface noise:

thanks for posting. No, I never heard . Sounds like a reject for the Playboy album.

Great find. Although I never heard of the song before, it is definitely our Marvelettes. It sounds like an early song. Thanks for sharing.

What a MAJOR find! I've heard this song before though. It was on one of a series of CDs of unreleased material making the rounds amongst collectors. The recording was made with a male group whose name I can't recall but they were an early Motown act. The odd phrasing of the title line was sung exactly the same way with the emphasis placed on a different syllable of the word "somebody" each time it was sung. To me, it sounded like a complete time waster. It's still not the greatest song here but at least The Marvelettes make it a bit more fun. Interesting. With the "was it the Postman" reference it seems like this was written with the Marvelettes in mind and then given to another group later. This must have been when the group was still practicing the song because there's a point where Gladys seemingly just stops singing for a little bit at the 00.43 mark.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 03-09-2023 at 06:23 PM.

Very cool!! Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    What a MAJOR find! I've heard this song before though. It was on one of a series of CDs of unreleased material making the rounds amongst collectors. The recording was made with a male group whose name I can't recall but they were an early Motown act.
    Wow. Interesting to learn that it was recorded by another group. I agree that it sounds like it was written with the Marvelettes in mind, if not specifically for them.

Quote Originally Posted by nsoule View Post
    Wow. Interesting to learn that it was recorded by another group. I agree that it sounds like it was written with the Marvelettes in mind, if not specifically for them.
    I started going through the CDs of stuff that I've gotten over the years, and then I remembered, a lot of things aren't labeled! I'll probably just start playing stuff in my car as I go out and about until I find it. I do know for sure the male group was not the Tempts, Miracles, Spinners or Contours. But of course, that still doesn't help a lot, ha ha! Fingers crossed. I'm really happy for you that you scored something so 100% rare!

Thanks to nsoule for posting this demo recording by The Marvelettes. Like others have said already, this is a major find [and there's probably more rare demos by the group where this came from].

Good one Nick, this one is a really early one from 1961?
    If any help for WWLFAC's memory [i'm just as bad] The early backing group for most artists was the Rayber Voices: Robert Bateman, Brian Holland & Raynoma but that was for 1959 & 1960, from memory I think the Satintones also covered one or two?
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 03-10-2023 at 05:46 AM.

What a MAJOR find! I've heard this song before though. It was on one of a series of CDs of unreleased material making the rounds amongst collectors. The recording was made with a male group whose name I can't recall but they were an early Motown act. The odd phrasing of the title line was sung exactly the same way with the emphasis placed on a different syllable of the word "somebody" each time it was sung. To me, it sounded like a complete time waster. It's still not the greatest song here but at least The Marvelettes make it a bit more fun. Interesting. With the "was it the Postman" reference it seems like this was written with the Marvelettes in mind and then given to another group later. This must have been when the group was still practicing the song because there's a point where Gladys seemingly just stops singing for a little bit at the 00.43 mark.
    Somebody Brought It aka in it's 2nd incarnation, You Better Cool It was released on the second of the Marvelettes collections Forever More in a brand new mix at the time.
    Last edited by paul_nixon; 03-10-2023 at 07:27 AM.

What an amazing find! I’m very jealous!

The Marvelettes "Somebody Brought It" is earlier [1961?] It's likely that Nick's Acetate is the only recording of that track. I just love the "Raw" original as it is.

The later "You Better Cool It " from 1963. Still a good song though but is from the archives. The "Marvelettes Forever More Vol 2" also has 27 "Lost & Found" tracks. [24 unreleased]

Volume 1 is now crazy money as all "Hip-O-Select"CD sets are limited editions

Attachment 20430
    Last edited by Graham Jarvis; 03-10-2023 at 10:12 AM.

Although the arrangement is all over the place, I LOVE it! Thank you for sharing it.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nixon View Post
    Somebody Brought It aka in it's 2nd incarnation, You Better Cool It was released on the second of the Marvelettes collections Forever More in a brand new mix at the time.
    Ahhhh haaaa! That was throwing me. I knew I had heard that intro on one of the Marvelettes CDs [[reminds me of that obnoxious taunt we children used to chant at someone getting into trouble: "Na Na Na Na NAAA Naaaa!") But the lyrics didn't match the ones of this demo. I'm planning to play a BUNCH of CDs this weekend and hopefully I'll find the recording of this song by the male group.

P.S. I STILL find myself in awe of these two sets. I remember the discussions here on Soulful Detroit when the collections were in the planning stages. I think I went on forever about the mono vs. stereo mixes of "The Pink" album. The fact that everyone's input was solicited was astonishing enough but when those sets came out I was beyond being amazed. This was the first time I bought two of the same CD release and I still regard it as four of the best purchases I ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Jarvis View Post
    The Marvelettes "Somebody Brought It" is earlier [1961?] It's likely that Nick's Acetate is the only recording of that track. I just love the "Raw" original as it is.

The later "You Better Cool It " from 1963. Still a good song though but is from the archives. The "Marvelettes Forever More Vol 2" also has 27 "Lost & Found" tracks. [24 unreleased]

Volume 1 is now crazy money as all "Hip-O-Select"CD sets are limited editions

Attachment 20430

In a twist session paperwork shows Somebody Brought It and You Better Cool It being worked on in September 63

Well, I found what I was looking for. As it turns out, I was about 1% accurate in my memory [which I guess isn't lousy considering I only played it once.] It wasn't a male group singing the song but a male. I think it was maybe the songwriter providing a guide vocal for Gladys. And I did get it right in that the phrasing and emphasis on certain syllables on "somebody brought it /some BAD body brought it/some boDEE brought it..." was deliberate because he sings it the exact same way as you hear Gladys. Also, the guide vocal trails off in the same spot where Gladys stops singing briefly. In fact, the rest of the recording is just the backing track. I'll work on getting it on here over the weekend.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 03-10-2023 at 04:13 PM.

@Waiting,

That is fascinating! It’s interesting to hear how the singer might hone and develop her delivery on a specific song. I don’t remember the finished track, so I’ll have to get out my box set to hear it again.

K
    Last edited by kenneth; 03-10-2023 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    @Waiting,

That is fascinating! It’s interesting to hear how the singer might hone and develop her delivery on a specific song. I don’t remember the finished track, so I’ll have to get out my box setting to hear it again.

K
    In this case it was precisely the delivery that stood out because it's just an odd sort of cadence on the chorus and both of these recordings have it. Unfortunately, it's pretty much just the opening chorus we get on the recording I'll be posting.

Here is the demo from an old set of cds. unfortunately, the track just cuts off midway.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 03-11-2023 at 03:54 AM.

Here is the demo from an old set of cds. unfortunately, the track just cuts off midway.
    That's Robert Gordy aka Bob Kayli doing a snippet of a demo

Thanks for posting! It's really interesting to get to hear the whole process from the vocal guide recording, to the demo, to the reworking into a much more marketable track. Too bad it all culminated in a shelved recording, but it's still a great little auditory window into the recording/creative process at Motown.

That's Robert Gordy aka Bob Kayli doing a snippet of a demo
    Ahhhhhhhhh. Thank you for filling in the blanks on this!

Quote Originally Posted by nsoule View Post
    Thanks for posting! It's really interesting to get to hear the whole process from the vocal guide recording, to the demo, to the reworking into a much more marketable track. Too bad it all culminated in a shelved recording, but it's still a great little auditory window into the recording/creative process at Motown.
    I love this thread. You really got a heck of "a snowball rolling down the side of a snow-covered hill"; and yep, "It's Growing". Isn't it amazing how random events sometimes just come together. Your sharing an incredible find gave us another rare window on the Marvelettes' recording career. It also triggered a memory of a recording I got eons ago and never paid attention to. Paul Nixon is able to tie it all together so that a story emerges. Thank you nsoule for something really special!

Fascinating WWLFAC - what's the CD that has the demo of "Somebody Brought It" on it and what else is on there please?

I bet it's one of those mix [[tape) CD's we all used to make of unreleased material and lost got shared around

i bet it's one of those mix [[tape) cd's we all used to make of unreleased material and lost got shared around
    exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Fascinating WWLFAC - what's the CD that has the demo of "Somebody Brought It" on it and what else is on there please?
    Paul nailed it. I honestly can't even recall how it started, but I think it was in the 90s; someone I got to know in the UK through a Motown fan page. I sent him a CD of my mono mix of "The Pink Album" and a few other mono LPs I had. He told me he had some things he would send me by way of thanks. Those CDs blew me away...clear across the planet, in fact.

On this particular CD are a few snippets of the band tracks for the Contours "I Can't Stop Dancing," the backing tracks with Andantes backing vocals for "Pretty Little Baby"/"Purple Snowflakes" [I think they all cut out about midway] and several jazz cuts that I figure are from some of the Jazz Workshop sessions. Nothing is labeled, so I'm guessing there.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 03-12-2023 at 09:40 AM.

Thanks for the info - all amazing stuff [[to a nerd like me).