[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    I was just thinking that with the top 12 #1 Songs by The Supremes, one has the basis for a Broadway Musical Play. Add some dramatic insight about the formation of these songs and it would be a great show!
    There would be a lot of breaking up going on in that play lol

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    It did allow Mary to add another part to the publication of the combined autobios. I don't know if combining the two books was already in progress or if the RTL drama resulted in the opportunity to merge the two. I have a copy of the combined books and it's very well done. I don't ever pull out the stand alone copies of each book anymore.

Had everything taken place the way it should have, had everyone done what she needed to do to make it a smooth go, RTL could've been an excellent addendum to Mary's books.
    I think RTL was already being discussed when the combo DREAMGIRL/SUPREME FAITH was being put together. In the new section, Mary writes about the fake Supremes groups as well as the FLOS. She ends the paragraph by saying she thought the only way to end such "erzatz'' groups was for her, Diana, and Cindy to get together for a reunion tour. I remember thinking that sounded odd but rather coincidental in retrospect.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Deke told me the same thing about the farewell album, that Mary was out of control and made so many rude, snotty and/or bitchy remarks, It made editing a usable performance a total nightmare for him. He said Berry was livid, and Cindy told that there was a lot of animosity on stage in the last shows. She didn’t blame Mary per se, but she did say, rather coyly, that Mary had been drinking champagne all night and left it at that. She also talked about the party afterwords, and how awkward it was, except for Barry who was absolutely the happiest man in the world. She said she was worried about how the group would fare after Diana left, and that night at the party, Also began to feel sorry for Diana because she was moving into uncharted territory. She said that she knew Diana was liked by their audiences but didn’t know if that was going to work as a solo, and if it didn’t work out, would she come back to the group? That thought brought up a lot of concerns for her, so, while everyone else was celebrating, she began to have doubts that made her uncomfortable, Mary had been hostile to Diana on stage, and was completely ignoring her at the party while they were doing press and posing for pictures. She said Mary left kind of early without really saying she was leaving the party for good. She said Diana was acting like she was enjoying the party, but “was off.” She was looking forward to having a happy group dynamic again, not knowing that it would be that was again. I hope her book comes out sometime.
    If Mary was indeed acting that way there had to be a good reason. Both women were under a lot of pressure at the time. Diana caught up with her impending solo career and Mary anxious over the future of the Supremes.
    As she has occasionally demonstrated, Diana is perhaps not always the best at considering or understanding other people’s feelings. Conflict can often be avoided by just a little empathy being shown. Did Cindy ever complete a book?
    At this point in time, I can’t for the life of me imagine Diana giving two hoots about a reunion. Life is sweet for her right now. Why on earth would she want such complications?.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    If Mary was indeed acting that way there had to be a good reason. Both women were under a lot of pressure at the time. Diana caught up with her impending solo career and Mary anxious over the future of the Supremes.
    As she has occasionally demonstrated, Diana is perhaps not always the best at considering or understanding other people’s feelings. Conflict can often be avoided by just a little empathy being shown. Did Cindy ever complete a book?
    At this point in time, I can’t for the life of me imagine Diana giving two hoots about a reunion. Life is sweet for her right now. Why on earth would she want such complications?.
    Spot on Ollie. There is no way Ms Ross will ever share a stage with Mary again. Why on earth would she put herself through all that again? She claims to be the happiest she has ever been in her whole life, and i for one believe her.
    As you quite rightly say she has not always been the most thoughtful or considerate person. It's a trait she has frequently displayed in varying measures. She can be damned difficult to please, and she is capable of digging those stilletto heals in very deeply when the spirit moves her. All this of course does not excuse Mary's bad behaviour on numerous occasions. There have been major faults on both sides over the years, and there is no way Miss Ross wishes to revisit those situations.
    On a personal note i wanted the reunion 21 years ago, but now the very prospect fills me with dread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Spot on Ollie. There is no way Ms Ross will ever share a stage with Mary again. Why on earth would she put herself through all that again? She claims to be the happiest she has ever been in her whole life, and i for one believe her.
    As you quite rightly say she has not always been the most thoughtful or considerate person. It's a trait she has frequently displayed in varying measures. She can be damned difficult to please, and she is capable of digging those stilletto heals in very deeply when the spirit moves her. All this of course does not excuse Mary's bad behaviour on numerous occasions. There have been major faults on both sides over the years, and there is no way Miss Ross wishes to revisit those situations.
    On a personal note i wanted the reunion 21 years ago, but now the very prospect fills me with dread.
    I wouldn't want a reunion either. I just think they're both past that point. I would welcome a sit down reunion where they reminisce together or something like that.

For me a true Supremes reunion would have to include Florence Ballard and obviously that was never going to happen after 1976.

I remember back then Diana was bringing up on talk shows a couple of times that Flo was in the original Supremes and not Cindy and I think she was trying to make that a point that it was never going to be a true reunion.

it may be that Ross might not care if mary gets asked about it or not. She’s holed up in SoCal and spent the holidays in Malibu with Rhonda, I think she doesn’t care. I’m told she’s quite committed to avoiding COVID and, having just been released from 7 weeks in the hospital with it, I’m glad she’s so dedicated because IF you get sick from it, it sucks. Mary is also being careful.
    First of all, glad you're doing better Maniac. This illness is taking people out left and right, and of the ones who survive, it's still a horrifying experience. There's a certain somebody with a lot of blood on his hands...

Anyway, I find it hard to believe that Diana even knows if Mary is being interviewed at all. I can't imagine either lady keeping up with what the other is doing via interviews. So Diana might not care and she also might not know. My scenario is based on the chance that Diana knows Mary continues to say it's up to Diana, and if annoyed, Diana could zap it on her own.

That's the thing though, Ollie. If done right, there wouldn't need to be complications. A tour is out of the question at this point. Maybe a do over might have worked around 2005-2007, but I really don't see there ever being the lucrative possibilities of a tour that existed when RTL was put together. In my mind the only options are:

1) A one night show, maybe Detroit, for charity purposes.

2) A Grammy performance, or other high profile award show.

3) A Supremes documentary with a reunion performance, maybe in Hitsville, to conclude the film.

4) Recording a new song for a Supremes compilation.

When RTL took place, both women were in their mid 50s, far too old to be stuck on nonsense, yet there they were. One would hope that was the last hurrah for their immaturity, that in their late 70s they both would be so far above the bullshit that any of the options I outlined above would go off without any ridiculous hitches.

I stopped holding my breath and crossing my fingers about a reunion years ago. But I'd be lying if I didn't say that I do not want the story of the original Supremes to end with that RTL bullshit. After everything the Supremes accomplished, and what they've meant to people, the legacy of their music and impact on the world, the story deserves a better ending than each lady in her corner. Perhaps at some point both ladies will see it the same way I do and decide that the Supremes deserve a proper conclusion. Only time will tell and the possibility will never be completely out of the question until the moment the last breath leaves one of their bodies, hopefully not for many more years.

That's the thing though, Ollie. If done right, there wouldn't need to be complications. A tour is out of the question at this point. Maybe a do over might have worked around 2005-2007, but I really don't see there ever being the lucrative possibilities of a tour that existed when RTL was put together. In my mind the only options are:

3) A Supremes documentary with a reunion performance, maybe in Hitsville, to conclude the film.

When RTL took place, both women were in their mid 50s, far too old to be stuck on nonsense, yet there they were. One would hope that was the last hurrah for their immaturity, that in their late 70s they both would be so far above the bullshit that any of the options I outlined above would go off without any ridiculous hitches.

I stopped holding my breath and crossing my fingers about a reunion years ago. But I'd be lying if I didn't say that I do not want the story of the original Supremes to end with that RTL bullshit. After everything the Supremes accomplished, and what they've meant to people, the legacy of their music and impact on the world, the story deserves a better ending than each lady in her corner. Perhaps at some point both ladies will see it the same way I do and decide that the Supremes deserve a proper conclusion. Only time will tell and the possibility will never be completely out of the question until the moment the last breath leaves one of their bodies, hopefully not for many more years.
    All I can say is, i wouldn’t hold my breath for to long Ran. It just might lead to a permanent condition.
    Unlike Mary, Diana is not really the sentimental type. I’m sure she only sings Supremes songs in her show to keep the fans happy. I’m guessing that particular legacy is not as important to her as it is the fans.
    If by some miracle there happened to be one last Supreme performance, you can forget about “Baby Love”. I feel certain she would insist on “I Will Survive” and nothing less lol.

In my mind the only options are:

Good ideas listed above, RanRan. I understand why a Diana/Mary reunion most probably won't happen. I will be perfectly happy with just another photo like the Diana/Berry/Mary reunion at the Temptations Broadway event.

Bluebrock:
    There is no way Ms Ross will ever share a stage with Mary again. Why on earth would she put herself through all that again? She claims to be the happiest she has ever been in her whole life, and i for one believe her.
    Agreed!

floyjoy:
    I remember back then Diana was bringing up on talk shows a couple of times that Flo was in the original Supremes and not Cindy and I think she was trying to make that a point that it was never going to be a true reunion.
    Agreed!!

MotownManiac:
    She’s holed up in SoCal and spent the holidays in Malibu with Rhonda, I think she doesn’t care. I’m told she’s quite committed to avoiding COVID and, having just been released from 7 weeks in the hospital with it, I’m glad she’s so dedicated because IF you get sick from it, it sucks.
    I'm glad you have survived COVID!! On a lighter note, I'm glad Diana is sheltering with her loved ones. I get some bit of comfort she's just a few miles up the coast from me!

Cindy can no longer perform so a reunion is moot.

I guess , in that case, anytime anybody ever acts up on stage far from the parameters of their direction, or offstage for that matter, that there’s a good reason for it. Personally, I don’t think getting suckered on substance is a good reason for mary to behave that way at farewell or Motown 25, and we have no idea what her degree of empathy was. I do know that Mary tried valiantly from the day Cindy joined the Supremes to get Cindy on “her side “

I agree but I cannot imagine Diana wanting to do a reunion, certainly not a concert, maybe at some point they would sing a song together but without Flo, for for that matter even without Cindy, IMHO there’s no point in it at all. I would think the motivation to do it would be a burning desire to work together again, and I don’t believe either one of them has that burning desire although I could be wrong. And I would think that Mary’s motivation would be more financial, or for the press, more than the yearning in her heart to work with the person She spent two decades bashing.

It’s a very interesting topic nonetheless and I love reading everybody’s views!

I think that your scenarios number two and number three are the most likely should anything ever happened. And I agree with you I would like the biography of the Supremes to end on a better note. And I have learned to never say never, because when my late friend Oscar called me to tell me that Cindy was was losing weight and preparing for a supreme’s reunion the following summer, I absolutely did not believe it at all. Then when I found out from the horses mouth, you could’ve knocked me over with a feather. So since then I never say never.

thank you for your Covid comments, I feel I could write a book about what it’s like to spend seven weeks in the Covid ward, but there would have been no Trump supporters if everyone knew what was going on. I was very very very lucky and I’m very grateful to have Escaped without experiencing the worst of what that virus has to offer. All I can ever say about it is wear your mask wear your mask wear your mask!

The only thing that could possible happen is a reunion of Mary, Lynda and Jean [[although I am not sure if Jean is interested either) or Scherrie, Susaye and Mary. However, Mary has made it clear that Diana, Mary and Cindy has to do it first. From everything I have heard it would definitely be a challenge to get Cindy back on stage.

Since the press made it clear that Diana never sung with Lynda and Scherrie during RTL so that was no reunion, I see no reason for just Mary and Diana to go out on that stage with some cutout of Flo or Cindy.

I don't really care if Diana and Mary get along personally anymore but I do care if I pay to go see a performance of the Supremes that you leave your egos at home and your hostilities in the dressing room or I will keep my money in my wallet.

I am sure this is never going to happen. We all may have felt this would never happen in 2000, but there was far more possibilities then with so many groups reuniting that sparked the initial RTL talk. Of course, with Florence passing in 1976 the original group obviously can never reunite. The thought of Ross with the other original Supreme Mary Wilson and Florence's replacement Cindy Birdsong seemed very exciting going into 2000. It was just not meant to be. Negotiations were not very kind to either Birdsong or Wilson. When you talk reunion, it is about all group members having a say. The "just show up" comment would feel degrading to anyone. As for 2021, we are in a pandemic. No performers are out there touring, Ross and Wilson included. Mary Wilson will be asked about getting back together and she will always say it is up to Diana Ross. Because it is. I do not see Ross wanting to do anything with a group of Supremes again after the failure and bad press of RTL. Cindy can no longer perform due to ill health. I don't even see a one time performance at the Grammys or something similar. There would have been a chance at Motown 60 just to have something special as a tribute. Mary always alludes to Scherrie being able to be the third person if needed. I do not see anything happening to bring this together. But, yes, it is up to Diana Ross but also read that Mary is saying she is happy and not just waiting around for it as she has much in her own life to enjoy and be happy.

I think that your scenarios number two and number three are the most likely should anything ever happened. And I agree with you I would like the biography of the Supremes to end on a better note. And I have learned to never say never, because when my late friend Oscar called me to tell me that Cindy was was losing weight and preparing for a supreme’s reunion the following summer, I absolutely did not believe it at all. Then when I found out from the horses mouth, you could’ve knocked me over with a feather. So since then I never say never.

thank you for your Covid comments, I feel I could write a book about what it’s like to spend seven weeks in the Covid ward, but there would have been no Trump supporters if everyone knew what was going on. I was very very very lucky and I’m very grateful to have Escaped without experiencing the worst of what that virus has to offer. All I can ever say about it is wear your mask wear your mask wear your mask!
    Hi. I tried to send you a private message, but your inbox is full.
    I do hope you continue to make a good recovery. I know exactly what you have been going through. I had my own battle with covid last year and was very poorly for several months. Even all these months later i am still not fully recovered. I lost 3 stone in weight and i have still not managed to get back to my former fitness.
    As Diana once sang Everyday is a new day, and with each new day comes new hope and new possibilities. Hang on in there.
    Sending my best wishes to you for 2021 and thereafter.

I guess , in that case, anytime anybody ever acts up on stage far from the parameters of their direction, or offstage for that matter, that there’s a good reason for it. Personally, I don’t think getting suckered on substance is a good reason for mary to behave that way at farewell or Motown 25, and we have no idea what her degree of empathy was. I do know that Mary tried valiantly from the day Cindy joined the Supremes to get Cindy on “her side “

I agree but I cannot imagine Diana wanting to do a reunion, certainly not a concert, maybe at some point they would sing a song together but without Flo, for for that matter even without Cindy, IMHO there’s no point in it at all. I would think the motivation to do it would be a burning desire to work together again, and I don’t believe either one of them has that burning desire although I could be wrong. And I would think that Mary’s motivation would be more financial, or for the press, more than the yearning in her heart to work with the person She spent two decades bashing.

It’s a very interesting topic nonetheless and I love reading everybody’s views!
    I think if a person has been marginalised over a period of time then they might well act up a little for a final performance. I think I might. I certainly understand that behaviour a little more then say driving down the freeway under the influence of alcohol or kicking sound monitors off a stage because it’s not quite to your liking.
    Regarding Motown 25, i feel both women were at fault. Much the same with RTL.
    Are you suggesting that Diana’s motivation for a reunion would be something other then financial. hmmm. I certainly doubt that very much.
    We all have our own perspective on pass events that might conflict with others. I just don’t consider it fair or accurate to place the blame solely at Mary’s feet.

Good points Ollie.

As soon as the financial angle becomes the center point , count me out.
    I saw Bob Dylan once and what a lackluster show. I couldn't help perceiving he didn't want to be there, just putting some bucks in his pocket. Please don't do me any favors , I could be doing something else too!

Logistically, visually, functionally, it really doesn't make sense to do a 2/3 Supremes show .

I think if a person has been marginalised over a period of time then they might well act up a little for a final performance. I think I might. I certainly understand that behaviour a little more then say driving down the freeway under the influence of alcohol or kicking sound monitors off a stage because it’s not quite to your liking.
    Regarding Motown 25, i feel both women were at fault. Much the same with RTL.
    Are you suggesting that Diana’s motivation for a reunion would be something other then financial. hmmm. I certainly doubt that very much.
    We all have our own perspective on pass events that might conflict with others. I just don’t consider it fair or accurate to place the blame solely at Mary’s feet.
    I agree with this too. When you haven't mattered much and you were there from the very first days of not having any success, it is easy to feel marginalized and to act up.

I think Diana would have had a little hope at rekindling the old days as well. I doubt she needed the money but finances would have mattered. I think the big incentive was another "success" or "SUCCESS".

But after two kicks at the can, M25 and RTL, and after covid, and with age kicking in, it's not worth it anymore.

Diana said during. Uk interview that the Supremes was her favorite decade of her career. Not sure how she feels now as that interview was from the WO tour.
    I never saw the Supremes perform. And hoped during RTL that I would finally get the chance.nope.
    My show was cancelled the same day.
    Mary could reunite with scherrie and sausage but she won't.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Well I don't blame Mary for that. Who the hell wants to see her and Scherrie eating sausage?

But seriously, Mary reuniting with the 70s Supremes would probably sell out a venue- how big of a venue is certainly a worthy question- in say a place like LA or NY. Maybe that show would pack folks into the Apollo for one night. But I can't imagine there's much clamoring specifically to see Mary with Scherrie and Susaye. The only reunion guaranteed to at least spark some national interest would be Mary and Diana.

I think Mary and Diana should do a zoom "Q and A" of questions from the fans. Some proceeds would go to charity. Let's do it!

I think Mary and Diana should do a zoom "Q and A" of questions from the fans. Some proceeds would go to charity. Let's do it!
    Now that would be cool!

I'd watch them eating sausage. It might get more viewers than Mary is getting on her YouTube channel.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Diana said during. Uk interview that the Supremes was her favorite decade of her career. Not sure how she feels now as that interview was from the WO tour.
    I never saw the Supremes perform. And hoped during RTL that I would finally get the chance.nope.
    My show was cancelled the same day.
    Why would you call Susaye sausage David. Susayes a real sweet lady.

Because his phone autocorrected Susaye I bet !

It's a nice thought but the chances of it happening are probably less than zero.
    Maybe Mary would undertake it in a solo capacity, but Diana would not be in the slightest bit interested in participating.

Let’s do what ??

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I'd watch them eating sausage. It might get more viewers than Mary is getting on her YouTube channel.
    Sir. Here in the USA we have entered a golden era of bipartisanship and mutual respect. Hence, your comment [[though most likely correct) is, well ... most likely correct.

I can't imagine a single question that Wilson has not answered 2,867 times before. Unless she opens the questioning to include the role of the Coercive Acts in the formation of resistance parties in pre-independent America or, perhaps, the effect on valuing long-term assets of straight line vs. MACRS depreciation.

I've seen Diana's Q&A at her shows and she's pretty boring with them. She answers maybe 1 question, 3 other people will just tell her they love her rather than ask a question and then she starts talking about her kids.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I've seen Diana's Q&A at her shows and she's pretty boring with them. She answers maybe 1 question, 3 other people will just tell her they love her rather than ask a question and then she starts talking about her kids.
    Yes, and in her defense, some of the 'questions' as you mentioned, are mostly just general fawning comments from the fan who is holding the microphone at that moment. It's usually them going on and on, talking about their own fan/life experiences [[she's heard it thousands of times before), or questions that are far too specific for her to think of an answer on the spot. I once heard a question from a fan who said that his favourite album was "Eaten Alive" and he asked her about her favourite song she recorded during her RCA era. I think she laughed and then gave a general comment about the wonderful songs in her career. The likelihood of her responding to such a question with, "My favourite RCA song is Crime of Passion" is very low. Her memory of these songs and specific moments of her career cannot be compared to the memory and knowledge of a fan. There's no way she's going to give such a specific answer on the spot. So part of the problem is that the people who are asking the questions need to be a little more thoughtful and strategic. Ask a question that is based on a subject that will help give some direction to her answer, without being too specific. I also heard someone once ask, "What's your favourite food?" Lol. To be fair to the fans asking the questions, it's very emotional and nerve-racking to suddenly be speaking to your life-long idol, without any mental preparation in advance.

In Mary's defense, I've also heard her give some really good interviews in recent years, that have gone above and beyond her standard script. In these cases, you can tell her interviewers were prepared and did their research. Unfortunately, too many tend to ask the same old easy questions about reunions, how the Supremes started off, etc., so yes, you're going to get the same answers, when you're always going for 'the low fruit'.
    Last edited by carlo; 02-02-2021 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Because his phone autocorrected Susaye I bet !
    LOL. Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I can't imagine a single question that Wilson has not answered 2,867 times before. Unless she opens the questioning to include the role of the Coercive Acts in the formation of resistance parties in pre-independent America or, perhaps, the effect on valuing long-term assets of straight line vs. MACRS depreciation.
    Yes, but how does one insulate long-term assets from external shocks, such as COVID, or errant fiscal policies from governments bent on undervaluing their currencies. I would like Mary or Diana to answer that question. I will be unhappy and rant on internet fora until they do!

One asked Ross something about the RCA years and she not only totally avoided it, but started talking again about her kids.

My only question to Mary is “How much is your mortgage that has prevented you from a dignified retirement?” Good Lord, the woman will talk to anyone with a webcam and mic.

My my aren’t we a little obsessed and that wouldn’t be your business even if she was asked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    One asked Ross something about the RCA years and she not only totally avoided it, but started talking again about her kids.

My only question to Mary is “How much is your mortgage that has prevented you from a dignified retirement?” Good Lord, the woman will talk to anyone with a webcam and mic.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post

I have often wondered if Diana is the only celebrity in the history of entertainment that had five kids who turned out nice?. Answers on a postcard.
    A little Brutal on Mary Circa, but it did make me laugh which is always a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Yes, and in her defense, some of the 'questions' as you mentioned, are mostly just general fawning comments from the fan who is holding the microphone at that moment. It's usually them going on and on, talking about their own fan/life experiences [[she's heard it thousands of times before), or questions that are far too specific for her to think of an answer on the spot. I once heard a question from a fan who said that his favourite album was "Eaten Alive" and he asked her about her favourite song she recorded during her RCA era. I think she laughed and then gave a general comment about the wonderful songs in her career. The likelihood of her responding to such a question with, "My favourite RCA song is Crime of Passion" is very low. Her memory of these songs and specific moments of her career cannot be compared to the memory and knowledge of a fan. There's no way she's going to give such a specific answer on the spot. So part of the problem is that the people who are asking the questions need to be a little more thoughtful and strategic. Ask a question that is based on a subject that will help give some direction to her answer, without being too specific. I also heard someone once ask, "What's your favourite food?" Lol. To be fair to the fans asking the questions, it's very emotional and nerve-racking to suddenly be speaking to your life-long idol, without any mental preparation in advance.

In Mary's defense, I've also heard her give some really good interviews in recent years, that have gone above and beyond her standard script. In these cases, you can tell her interviewers were prepared and did their research. Unfortunately, too many tend to ask the same old easy questions about reunions, how the Supremes started off, etc., so yes, you're going to get the same answers, when you're always going for 'the low fruit'.
    I get she can't remember everything but at least say that and don't go on some "let me promote my kids" speech for 15 minutes when another fan could be asking a different question. Listen I love Diana but she is too routine for me a lot of the time and hate how vanilla she can be at times.

I have often wondered if Diana is the only celebrity in the history of entertainment that had five kids who turned out nice?. Answers on a postcard.
    A little Brutal on Mary Circa, but it did make me laugh which is always a good thing.
    Who's to say Mary's kids didn't turn out nice or Florence's daughters?

Who indeed....

Ms. Roberta has vouched for Florence's daughters as being smart, productive and lovely ladies so I take that as a fact. Not sure of Mary's children; they seem to choose a lower profile life and we can certainly wish them well.

I get she can't remember everything but at least say that and don't go on some "let me promote my kids" speech for 15 minutes when another fan could be asking a different question. Listen I love Diana but she is too routine for me a lot of the time and hate how vanilla she can be at times.
    Understood. She sure does love her kids and I agree that she brings them up a lot.