[REMOVE ADS]

The ballads of chic [[nile rodgers/bernard edwards)

Though CHIC climbed up the charts with some of the greatest dance hits of all time, the masterminds behind CHIC produced some great ballads which usually wound up being album cuts. Here area few of my favs

Always loved this instrumental

DIANA ROSS' beautiful "Friend to Friend"

One of my favorites........

Glencro I can remember ALL of these songs being played on the radio as well. You are right people forgot they did great slow songs.

Oh by the way I can remember thiking that when I heard At last I am Free I thought it was Ashford and Simpson!

I have to say thank you very much for this thread, glencro. I had completely forgotten about
    At Last I Am Free having not even heard the song in about 26 years or so. Dang!...That took me back to my best years for real. Now I have to go about the business of trying to find a hard copy...

You're very welcome splanky...Never thought about that but I can see that stephanie [["At Last I Am Free" sounding like Ashford & Simpson)...Marv, thanx for posting "Warm Summer Night", how could I forget that one #classic

CHIC's "Falling In Love"

Always loved this song from Sister Sledge's "Love Somebody Today" album. A Joni Sledge solo "I'm A Good Girl"
    Last edited by glencro; 03-16-2014 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    CHIC's "Falling In Love"
    Who is doing the lead vocal on this track, glencro? It doesn't
    sound Norma Jean Wright to me. I'd never heard it before today.
    Gave me a freaking eargasm. Never occurred to me before but I'd love
    a cd of all of Chic's ballads alone even if it's only a few songs. I was so
    deep into hardcore funk at that time I probably missed quite a few things
    I'll be chasing these days..

Splanky. how about I've never been able to differentiate the ladies of CHIC vocals. Great song though and very eargasmic. A cd of ballads would be great. Here's a rare Nile/Bernard production of Teddy Pendergrass from The Soup For One soundtrack ""Dream Girl"
    Last edited by glencro; 03-18-2014 at 03:43 AM.

Another gem, Sister Sledge's "You're A Friend To Me"

Love this one "Will You Cry [[When You Hear This Song)"

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I have to say thank you very much for this thread, glencro. I had completely forgotten about
    At Last I Am Free having not even heard the song in about 26 years or so. Dang!...That took me back to my best years for real. Now I have to go about the business of trying to find a hard copy...
    Splanky, this would be a good purchase to catch up on your CHIC music and the price isn't that bad http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._new_dp_review

THE BOSS and "Now That You're Gone"

Norma Jean Wright

An infectious semi mid tempo groove

glencro, I've come to the conclusion, and I know I could still be wrong, that the lead on
    Falling In Love With You is Alfa Anderson who apparantly is back in the game and trying
    very hard to make folks remember her:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy56v1_46PQ

I get it though I still perfer her earlier work. Thanks for the link...

splanky, I think you are right...it does sound like her. Plus I was listening to "I Want Your Love" with Alfa on lead and the vocals are very similar. Btw, her new video is quite "interesting"

After allo f this Chic talk I had to revisit the 1992 Nile/Bernard reunion "Chic-ism" and ran across this beautiful ballad

Another beautiful cut from "Love Somebody Today". A Kathy Sledge solo

Ran across this Norma Jean Wright track. I forgot how strong of a vocalist she really was but another Chic produced ballad

Lulu Guest
    Though CHIC climbed up the charts with some of the greatest dance hits of all time, the masterminds behind CHIC produced some great ballads which usually wound up being album cuts. Here area few of my favs
    This is my favorite!

A nice mid-tempo ballad by Johnny Mathis produced by Chic in 1981 and unreleased at the time:

Yes, Chic has some great ballads, with Kathy Sledge's "How To Love" being near the top of the list. She is the most commanding vocalist Chic ever recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Yes, Chic has some great ballads, with Kathy Sledge's "How To Love" being near the top of the list. She is the most commanding vocalist Chic ever recorded.
    I totally agree with you Guy

I am continually disappointed that CHIC continues to be shortchanged each year by not being voted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

One of my favourite Chic ballads with a great guitar solo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTeUXw5uN_8
    Last edited by rovereab; 11-17-2014 at 03:47 PM.

My exboyfriend liked Soup for One. I love Chic and wish Nile would get Luci and the other girls together, Alfa and Norma Jean.

Norma Jean, Luci and Alfa -- billed as the Former Ladies of Chic -- appeared at Summerstage in NYC last July. I missed it but I heard they rocked the house.

Guy I just went to Alfa Andersons website and wouldnt you know it there is a pic of her and Luci Martin with Nile Rodgers and the two other Chic girls they got together to do some background work Nile invited them. I was shocked. I still think Nile should have Luci and Alfa and Norma Jean tour with him but who am I.

Two great "ballads" [[or mid-tempo) instrumentals by CHIC that I have in my I-Tunes, sounding many times: "Savoire Faire" and "Sao Paolo".

After allo f this Chic talk I had to revisit the 1992 Nile/Bernard reunion "Chic-ism" and ran across this beautiful ballad
    I have always loved this song. Chic were not in vogue when this album came out but i remember hearing this on Richard Searling's Soul Sauce show in the UK and i knew i just had to have it. Probably my very favourite Chic ballad. It is just beautiful. Thank you so much for posting glencro.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I have always loved this song. Chic were not in vogue when this album came out but i remember hearing this on Richard Searling's Soul Sauce show in the UK and i knew i just had to have it. Probably my very favourite Chic ballad. It is just beautiful. Thank you so much for posting glencro.
    You're welcome Bluebrock. That cd came out and at an interesting time in the industry and though not well receiived, had some great tunes on it. I remember E,W & F also releasing new music around the early 90's that was good but not received so well also.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    Glencro I can remember ALL of these songs being played on the radio as well. You are right people forgot they did great slow songs.
    Never thought about that but sounds very much like a Nick & Val cut

Never thought about that but sounds very much like a Nick & Val cut
    Curiously in the disco where i worked as barman in my student years [[first 80's) they played "Bourgie Bourgie" [[that I have at present day and I knows is by Ashford & Simpson) but I believed was done by Chic [[because is instrumental, the bass line, because they played during the first half-hour, with jazz-funk, mid-tempo tunes and lots of Chic stuff...?)

Quote Originally Posted by no_place_like_motown View Post
    A nice mid-tempo ballad by Johnny Mathis produced by Chic in 1981 and unreleased at the time:

wonder will this album ever see the light of day

I absolutely love Chic's ballads, they knew how to pull at your heartstrings. Few of my faves: "At Last I Am Free", "Will You Cry [[When You Hear This Song)", "One And Only One"

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoch View Post
    I absolutely love Chic's ballads, they knew how to pull at your heartstrings. Few of my faves: "At Last I Am Free", "Will You Cry [[When You Hear This Song)", "One And Only One"
    Love all of those tracks DJMoch

A beautiful Debbie Sledge lead

Warm Summer Night by Chic