[REMOVE ADS]

Clay McMurray Has Passed

Ralph shared the sad news today that Motown Producer/engineer and songwriter, Clay McMurray has passed.

Name:  Clay McMurray.jpg
Views: 1253
Size:  30.3 KB

Who will ever forget this great, classic song Clay co-wrote for Gladys Knight and the Pips:

Clay also co-wrote this great song along with James Dean:

I always wished Clay McMurray had worked more with Wanda of the Marvelettes. His work with her on "That's How Heartaches Are Made" was perfection in every way. Wanda's phrasing and singing on this record was one of her all-time best performances. It sounds like Clay really rehearsed Wanda on this one and made sure the song was in her key so she could comfortably sing without having to go into her falsetto. Clay also was able to get so much emotion out of Wanda without her having to "oversing" anything. The music was one of the best to come out of Motown's late 60's era. I was so disappointed that there weren't other McMurray productions on the In Full Bloom album.

My Clay McMurray story: I was invited to Debra Stubbs-Boatner's house for a get together. Enchantment along with E.J. Johnson was there. Pat Crosby was there. E.J. started to do 'Name that Tune" with $1.00 awarded to the winner who could name the tune the fastest. I had won over 15 dollars when a gentleman came in and started naming the tunes faster than me. I put my game face on and he and I went blow-by-blow naming tunes. It was getting serious with Enchantment and everyone else hollaring for either me or this gentleman to win. For one of the tunes, E.J. started to play "If I was your woman" by Gladys Knight and the Pips. The gentleman named the tune on the first note. I was incredulous! I mean, one note? Who does that? All of a sudden Pat jumped up and said "Clay! You're cheating! You know E.J. wasn't supposed to play your records!!" I got up and said, "Wait a minute, I've been playing against Clay McMurray all this time!!? Clay sat in his chair with the biggest grin on his face, loudly laughing. But I got the last laugh as Pat made Clay give me his dollar for "If I was your woman".
    After that, we talked until the wee hours of the morning and several times after that. He was just a warm hearted guy, always smiling, always joking, very very friendly and down to earth. Wow, this is just sad.
    Last edited by stingbeelee; 09-08-2019 at 01:08 AM. Reason: grammar

Clay McMurray is one of the most underrated producers of all time. So much of his productions [[namely the stuff he did with David Ruffin & the Fantastic Four) lingered in the vaults for decades. And many of the songs that were released, were ignored by the record buying public. His name is on more than a few of my favorite unreleased songs from Motown. Thanks for the music, Clay!

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  21.1 KB
    I also like what he did on Thelma Records, and his own Red Cap Records before he got to Motown. He was a talented man. I appreciate it very much that he was a member of SDF, and posted here a lot, telling us how it was in Detroit's music scene back in the '60s and '70s. We'll miss him.

A GREAT talent. Condolences to all his family & friends.

Then We Can Try Again one of my favorite Supremes songs and Jean Terrell vocals.
    That's How Heartaches Are Made one of my favorite Marvelettes songs and Wanda Rogers vocals.
    Thank you, Mr. McMurray.

One of many unsung heroes from Motown's golden age. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by stingbeelee View Post
    My Clay McMurray story: I was invited to Debra Stubbs-Boatner's house for a get together. Enchantment along with E.J. Johnson was there. Pat Crosby was there. E.J. started to do 'Name that Tune" with $1.00 awarded to the winner who could name the tune the fastest. I had won over 15 dollars when a gentleman came in and started naming the tunes faster than me. I put my game face on and he and I went blow-by-blow naming tunes. It was getting serious with Enchantment and everyone else hollaring for either me or this gentleman to win. For one of the tunes, E.J. started to play "If I was your woman" by Gladys Knight and the Pips. The gentleman named the tune on the first note. I was incredulous! I mean, one note? Who does that? All of a sudden Pat jumped up and said "Clay! You're cheating! You know E.J. wasn't supposed to play your records!!" I got up and said, "Wait a minute, I've been playing against Clay McMurray all this time!!? Clay sat in his chair with the biggest grin on his face, loudly laughing. But I got the last laugh as Pat made Clay give me his dollar for "If I was your woman".
    After that, we talked until the wee hours of the morning and several times after that. He was just a warm hearted guy, always smiling, always joking, very very friendly and down to earth. Wow, this is just sad.
    That is a great story stingbeelee! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Then We Can Try Again one of my favorite Supremes songs and Jean Terrell vocals.
    That's How Heartaches Are Made one of my favorite Marvelettes songs and Wanda Rogers vocals.
    Thank you, Mr. McMurray.
    I loved that song too from "Right On".

Sad news. He did some fantastic stuff at Motown. RIP Clay.

Here’s a complete list of his credits:

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/clay...140691/credits

Mary Wilson and Spyder Turner inducting Clay into R & B Music Hall of Fame

Sorry to hear of the passing of another Motown legend.

This is one of my favorites of his, and of the Vandellas.

Cheers

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Here’s a complete list of his credits:

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/clay...140691/credits
    That looks like a very impressive legacy, but is there a way to see the individual songs? He must have had a vast catalog to be on this many albums.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    That looks like a very impressive legacy, but is there a way to see the individual songs? He must have had a vast catalog to be on this many albums.
    I am sure we can find that info if we look a bit.

July 4th:

On his Birthday, remembering Clay McMurray [1943-2019]; soul songwriter, producer and recording engineer; Motown Quality Control Department....