[REMOVE ADS]

Detroit to rename street in honor of King of Pop

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...wnd/617997002/

The renaming comes nearly 50 years after the legendary taped audition that landed the future king of pop music and his brothers in the Jackson 5 to Motown and to the international stage, a place MJ never left for 40 years.

This is great news and a honor well deserved! Thanks Midnightman

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  21.1 KB
    I know that Stevie Wonder has a Detroit street named after himself. Does Smokey Robinson? Is Michael Jackson the only Motown artist NOT from Detroit, who has a Detroit street named after him? I imagine that there is a Gary, Indiana street named after him. That makes a lot more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    I know that Stevie Wonder has a Detroit street named after himself. Does Smokey Robinson? Is Michael Jackson the only Motown artist NOT from Detroit, who has a Detroit street named after him? I imagine that there is a Gary, Indiana street named after him. That makes a lot more sense.
    Well they named a street after Jackie Wilson, but it is in Highland Park where he grew up. There is this little sub division near downtown with were new housing and all the streets were named after Motown Groups. I can't think of any named after people not originally from Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This is great news and a honor well deserved! Thanks Midnightman
    No prob, man.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Possible but besides from Berry Gordy and Stevie, I don't know any other Motown legend that had a street renamed after them. The last Detroit legend to get that honor of having a street renamed recently was Aretha Franklin last year.

Doesn't MJ also have a school named after him?

David Ruffin has an avenue named after him. And Re-Re has a theater renamed in her honor, it was reported.

You are correct. Michael's birthplace in Gary, Indiana is located at 2300 Jackson Street.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    You are correct. Michael's birthplace in Gary, Indiana is located at 2300 Jackson Street.
    Wasn't it always Jackson Street [[as in before they lived there)?

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Doesn't MJ also have a school named after him?
    Hopefully its not an elementary or middle school. That would be real awkward imo.

Yes, it's the Michael Jackson College of Culinary Arts. No need to worry, Roberta.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Yes, it's the Michael Jackson College of Culinary Arts. No need to worry, Roberta.
    Is this true? It's a tad awkward anyway as for the last 20 years of his life MJ looked like he never ate.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Is this true? It's a tad awkward anyway as for the last 20 years of his life MJ looked like he never ate.
    He didn't eat. He breathed music.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    He didn't eat. He breathed music.
    A lovely thought. But. Ummm ... I don't recommend anyone try that.

Is it REALLY named after Michael? I know he has an auditorium named after him at the L.A. elementary school he barely attended.

By the way, don't count on Detroit or any other city renaming anything after MJ for quite a while...