[REMOVE ADS]

A [[Very!) Brief Dionne Story

I worked on Saturday with a friend who volunteers for the New Jersey Hall of Fame Inductions. During a lull she told me of the various inductees for whom she had acted as liaison, one of whom was Dionne Warwick. 'What what Dionne like?', I asked. 'Very nice, really great to be around for a day' was the response. Nice to hear!
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 10-28-2019 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Shameful grammatical error

Peace, it always does my heart good when I hear positive real-life stories about our favorite singers. Thanks for sharing that uplifting tidbit!

Many years ago [[like back in the 80s) Dionne visited our small town occasionally because her son and nephew each attended the local military school. On one of those occasions, something went wrong with her transportation arrangements and she was "given a lift" for lack of a better word by a politician [[state senator or something) on his private plane. The local paper ran a story on it and the politician was quoted as saying she was "a very nice young lady."

I hate to admit that one year I watched "Celebrity Apprentice" with some old, fat, fading reality show personality with orange hair, when Dionne was one of the contestants. I hate to say she came across as so petty in that context that it was surprising. The contest I remember was when the teams were working together on a children's book and she demanded sole writer's credit or something like that because she'd thought of the basic idea or something. Honestly, I don't remember the details but I kept thinking, is this really how she wants to portray herself? It was surprising.

But I still love the lady's recordings!

By the way, whatever happened to that orange faced goon from that show?

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I hate to admit that one year I watched "Celebrity Apprentice" with some old, fat, fading reality show personality with orange hair, when Dionne was one of the contestants. I hate to say she came across as so petty in that context that it was surprising. The contest I remember was when the teams were working together on a children's book and she demanded sole writer's credit or something like that because she'd thought of the basic idea or something. Honestly, I don't remember the details but I kept thinking, is this really how she wants to portray herself? It was surprising.

He died of shame at the World Series last night.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Shame? He doesn't know what that is, unfortunately.

Okay, I'll stop airing my political views now!

pathetic, very ignorant/naive talking that way about our GREAT President.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post

Hey Kenny , you might want to pay more attention to all that Trump is doing for this great country of ours. For instance as the leftover 'swamp' crowd , the entrenched Washington lifers, were booing him at the World Series in DC , he was taking out Abu Bakr, something no president before him was able to pull off but should have. He was also just in Chicago, of all places [[talk about a swamp) , supporting our police chiefs at their conference. What a great thing to do. He's like that on many fronts, this orange haired guy's an in-your-face do-er . About time, wouldn't you say?
    I'd say some of you should get used to him, give him a chance, he's going to be around for some time!! Unless you honestly think that someone in that embarrassing parade of numbskulls posing as the Democrats 'best' stand a chance....[[gooood luck!)

Sorry that my comments are winding up on an inappropriate thread .....wish good folks would keep politics off the music threads. Very unthoughtful of them, toward those of us who are not seeking such opinions in this context. But not surprising . I feel their frustration , we've got our best president ever , who's getting things done regardless of the swamp, and they're hell bent on being left out, looking in, during this magnificent chapter... by their own stubbornness. Sore losers is what we call them in baseball.

Kenny, I wish you well and friendship , and always look forward to your musical observations.... or even political ones if properly presented.

Back to the intended subject and why i came to this thread in the first place before it got sour.

it's nice to learn someone experienced a nice day while being about Dionne . thanks for sharing.

Was that moment EVERYTHING?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Was that moment EVERYTHING?!?!?!
    And more. I can't stop laughing at the look on his face when he realized he wasn't at one of his little Klan rallies.

And more. I can't stop laughing at the look on his face when he realized he wasn't at one of his little Klan rallies.
    Yawwwn , here comes the race card again. Sorry not effective, that tired tactic's been long played out. [[except maybe at ratings loser CNN lol!)

Trump rallies little? Seriously , you guys need to pay attention. People stand in line for hours for every possible seat , and the overflow crowds are just as large as the ones that get in. He's like a rock star.

You might be able to stop your laughing once you realize the actual 'little' rallies are for ... oh work your way through the bunch....Biden, Bernie, Liz Beth , Kamala, Beto, Cory, Sleepy , Goofy, Grumpy .....Oh , I can't be bothered to name the rest ....lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Yawwwn , here comes the race card again. Sorry not effective, that tired tactic's been long played out. [[except maybe at ratings loser CNN lol!)

Trump rallies little? Seriously , you guys need to pay attention. People stand in line for hours for every possible seat , and the overflow crowds are just as large as the ones that get in. He's like a rock star.

You might be able to stop your laughing once you realize the actual 'little' rallies are for ... oh work your way through the bunch....Biden, Bernie, Liz Beth , Kamala, Beto, Cory, Sleepy , Goofy, Grumpy .....Oh , I can't be bothered to name the rest ....lol!
    First of all, race is not a card. For you to reduce somebody’s lived experience to something as insignificant as a card is the height of racist arrogance. But then, consider the source: You are the one who defended blackface on this forum. In 2017. So miss me with that bullshit and have several seats.

And don’t make me laugh about those pitiful rallies. The cameras never show how empty the rooms really are. Face it: Your hero is the most inept, incompetent, corrupt, mendacious person to ever set foot in the White House. So one ISIS leader was killed on his watch. So have thousands of innocent Syrians and more to come around the world because of this bumbling dotard who has revived ISIS singlehandedly through his cluelessness. Congress can’t impeach and remove this cancer fast enough. Then I’ll really be laughing.

Nor I. Second only to last years UN fiasco when the entire attendance laughed at him. I can only hope to see this pig go down. Lock him up, indeed.

First of all, race is not a card. For you to reduce somebody’s lived experience to something as insignificant as a card is the height of racist arrogance. But then, consider the source: You are the one who defended blackface on this forum. In 2017. So miss me with that bullshit and have several seats.

And don’t make me laugh about those pitiful rallies. The cameras never show how empty the rooms really are. Face it: Your hero is the most inept, incompetent, corrupt, mendacious person to ever set foot in the White House. So one ISIS leader was killed on his watch. So have thousands of innocent Syrians and more to come around the world because of this bumbling dotard who has revived ISIS singlehandedly through his cluelessness. Congress can’t impeach and remove this cancer fast enough. Then I’ll really be laughing.
    The only thing I disagree with is that you forgot 'ignorant'. And I'd bet just about anything POtuS never even heard of al Baghdadi until he was told of the killing.

Alright. ENOUGH ALREADY! I think we can all agree on one thing -- politicians are corrupt on both the Dem & Rep side. There's not a one of them who can be fully trusted. Kindly keep your political opinions to yourself or take them to the SDF Clubhouse and duke it out there. All you're doing is poisoning our music site where some of us go to get away from that shit. Jesus!

I agree with you Gary, which was my point here in the first place. I will respond here though to what's been hurled at me, and then I agree...time to take the politics over to the clubhouse where people who want to hear them have that choice to.....or not. Ambushing people in the middle of unrelated threads is not cool.

First of all, race is not a card. For you to reduce somebody’s lived experience to something as insignificant as a card is the height of racist arrogance
    When you PLAY it at every opportunity , it certainly is a card. Everybody has a race so stop thinking your so special with the term.
    . But then, consider the source: You are the one who defended blackface on this forum. In 2017. So miss me with that bullshit and have several seats. Seat yourself my friend. Don't know why you are bringing that up , except it's a typical tactic of your crowd to A) muddy the subject by straying off topic, and B) make your attack personal.

Actually the topic you can't let go of apparently, was about someone dressing up as Diana Ross and having the nerve to tone their skin accordingly . I hardly call it " blackface", I'll leave that notion to your over sensibilities, but I'll continue to defend my position that if someone wants to alter their skin tone in order to look more like Diana Ross , or whoever of whatever skin tone , say for a Halloween costume , it makes total sense to me. Skin tone is part of what identifies us. A blonde and pasty Diana Ross costume is to me far more insulting , far more compromising, than portraying her as realistically as possible, which would be honoring her in all possible ways , including her natural beauty. If you think that's something ugly, something vile, then we part company on this.
    It's all a mute point to me anyway though , I have no intentions of dressing up like Diana Ross and worrying about such things is rather a bore ... especially two friggin' years later. You gotta let these festering things go my friend!! You'll feel better!

The same with Trump beating Hillary , it's three years later! Breathe deep. Let it go. Anyway , this is how a democracy is supposed to work . Someone wins , and therefore.....someone loses. If it all has to go your way every time , then this country no longer has freedom, no longer has choice. I doubt you want that. I would hope not.

So cheer up , three years down and the elections are just a year away and you'll have another chance . Just step up to the plate and make your case with the best you've got. If the people agree you're offering somebody better than Trump , somebody who will do more for this country we all love than Trump , should work out fine.

And don’t make me laugh about those pitiful rallies. The cameras never show how empty the rooms really are. That's odd . Trump always points to fake news CNN as being in the room at his rallies [[part of the fun) , you'd think they'd revel in revealing such a truth! Hmmm, You're not fostering fake news with your claim are you? Face it: Your hero is the most inept, incompetent, corrupt, mendacious person to ever set foot in the White House. says you and who cares ... and yet.... he's still 1,000 times better than Hillary lol!! So one ISIS leader was killed on his watch. So have thousands of innocent Syrians and more to come around the world because of this bumbling dotard who has revived ISIS singlehandedly through his cluelessness. Congress can’t impeach and remove this cancer fast enough. Then I’ll really be laughing. Oh come on , tell me how you really feel about the guy!! . LMAO.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 10-30-2019 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Alright. ENOUGH ALREADY! I think we can all agree on one thing -- politicians are corrupt on both the Dem & Rep side. There's not a one of them who can be fully trusted. Kindly keep your political opinions to yourself or take them to the SDF Clubhouse and duke it out there. All you're doing is poisoning our music site where some of us go to get away from that shit. Jesus!
    Well, I'm sorry to say that I don't agree with you at all, but while we are snowflaking perhaps it's a good time to take offense in your using the Lord's name in vain? Best to you.

Looks like this thread is becoming very toxic so i shall attempt to get it back on topic. I have never met Dionne, but a colleague who worked with her on a few occasions said that Dionne could be grumpy, but if you kept her well stocked with cigarettes she was much easier to deal with! She got through around 60 cigs a day seemingly. Little wonder her voice left the building way too soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Looks like this thread is becoming very toxic so i shall attempt to get it back on topic. I have never met Dionne, but a colleague who worked with her on a few occasions said that Dionne could be grumpy, but if you kept her well stocked with cigarettes she was much easier to deal with! She got through around 60 cigs a day seemingly. Little wonder her voice left the building way too soon!
    Yes, the heavy smoking indeed takes its toll; we'll hope at least she's healthy. It's true that Dionne has been long-known as sometimes being testy but I can't help but wonder if it has more to do with her 'Mama don't take no mess' personality. Anywhichsoever it was interesting to hear a non-fan speak so nicely of her experience with Dionne!

Well, I'm sorry to say that I don't agree with you at all, but while we are snowflaking perhaps it's a good time to take offense in your using the Lord's name in vain? Best to you.
    Of course you don't agree with me at all. Even when you're reminded that this is not the appropriate place to air your political beliefs, you go right on defying and disrespecting everyone's right to enjoy our music forum in peace. You need to lose the attitude, get over yourself, and start showing some respect for your fellow forum members. And my best to you in return!

Sorry guys, didn't mean to start this whole dust-up. I usually hold back on my political beliefs on this forum [[and most places), but this time I didn't.
    Last edited by kenneth; 10-31-2019 at 11:51 PM.

Kenny your shortened response is much appreciated. Olive branch.

Good post, thanks Bluebrock. Fascinating . How is 60 cigs a day even possible !!? Can't imagine being gifted with a voice like Dionne's and being willing to risk destroying it this way. Some of these superstars can be most disappointing .

Good post, thanks Bluebrock. Fascinating . How is 60 cigs a day even possible !!? Can't imagine being gifted with a voice like Dionne's and being willing to risk destroying it this way. Some of these superstars can be most disappointing .
    It is quite frightening. I dare say she perhaps only got through that amount on quieter days! He said she would literally light up a cigarette as she stubbed the butt out from the previous one, and this is back in the day when you were allowed to smoke in hotel rooms and lounges. Maybe she has cut back on them now that she would have to go outside to feed her addiction.

TO BOOGIE & BLUEBROCK: It's possible. Years ago, I used to be a 3-pack-a-day smoker. Chain smoked constantly -- at times lighting up my next cigarette off the previous cigarette, especially if I were drinking my favorite Scotch. Of course, that was back in the days when you could smoke in the office at work. Then, when all that changed, I went down to 1-2 packs a day. We'd stand outside in the freezing, bitter cold during our morning and afternoon breaks, only to run to the bathroom afterward to wash the stench of smoke off of us. Then, when I retired, I went down to 1 pack a day. Finally, two-and-a-half years ago, I gave it all up. It suddenly hit me that it was a filthy and disgusting habit... and EXPENSIVE! Plus, I started not feeling good from it. So I gave it up. Now, I couldn't care less about smoking. In fact, I feel badly about the people who had to smell that horrible stench in the office because of me. I can understand Dionne's addiction, though. You're right, Boog. It's a shame that Dionne let it affect her voice.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 11-01-2019 at 04:24 AM.

It is quite frightening. I dare say she perhaps only got through that amount on quieter days! He said she would literally light up a cigarette as she stubbed the butt out from the previous one, and this is back in the day when you were allowed to smoke in hotel rooms and lounges. Maybe she has cut back on them now that she would have to go outside to feed her addiction.
    That's called 'chain smoking' here in the US, and though not so prominent today it was not at all unusual in Dionne's heyday. Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis was also a chain smoker, one hears.

TO BOOGIE & BLUEBROCK: It's possible. Years ago, I used to be a 3-pack-a-day smoker. Chain smoked constantly -- at times lighting up my next cigarette off the previous cigarette, especially if I were drinking my favorite Scotch. Of course, that was back in the days when you could smoke in the office at work. Then, when all that changed, I went down to 1-2 packs a day. We'd stand outside in the freezing, bitter cold during our morning and afternoon breaks, only to run to the bathroom afterward to wash the stench of smoke off of us. Then, when I retired, I went down to 1 pack a day. Finally, two-and-a-half years ago, I gave it all up. It suddenly hit me that it was a filthy and disgusting habit... and EXPENSIVE! Plus, I started not feeling good from it. So I gave it up. Now, I couldn't care less about smoking. In fact, I feel badly about the people who had to smell that horrible stench in the office because of me. I can understand Dionne's addiction, though. You're right, Boog. It's a shame that Dionne let it affect her voice.
    I am glad you kicked the filthy habit Gary.
    I have never smoked, but an ex partner did and it drove me to distraction. She was nowhere near 60 a day, but she probably comfortably managed at least 20 per day. The stench lingered everywhere. I loved her but not quite enough to tolerate that.
    As regards Dionne i am told she is still a heavy smoker and will probably remain so for whatever is left of her life.

That's called 'chain smoking' here in the US, and though not so prominent today it was not at all unusual in Dionne's heyday. Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis was also a chain smoker, one hears.
    I know it was much more commonplace back in the 60's. I think that was the decade when it was clinically proven to be a serious health risk.

I am glad you kicked the filthy habit Gary.
    I have never smoked, but an ex partner did and it drove me to distraction. She was nowhere near 60 a day, but she probably comfortably managed at least 20 per day. The stench lingered everywhere. I loved her but not quite enough to tolerate that.
    As regards Dionne i am told she is still a heavy smoker and will probably remain so for whatever is left of her life.
    Thanks for the encouraging words, Blue. Quitting the nicotine habit is not an easy thing to do. I had tried unsuccessfully 3 or 4 times over the years -- even tried Acupuncture once but to no avail. The withdrawal symptoms from that procedure were worse than ever! I couldn't sleep that night and was climbing the walls all night long, and returned to smoking first thing in the morning! I faced the simple fact that I'm a smoker. There's no getting around it. Then, in May 2017, I sat down on my stool out in the garage to enjoy a smoke but, for some odd reason, I didn't feel well afterward. When the feeling passed, I had another cigarette. Again, I had that same sickly feeling afterward. Enough of that for a day! The next day, the very same sickish feeling came over me. It didn't really scare me, but I decided that was IT! I don't want to feel like this again, plus I was sick of subjecting myself to the extreme heat and humidity and the freezing, bitter cold just to have a cigarette, so I simply stopped having cigarettes. I didn't officially "quit" because I knew that if I did, I would psychologically crave one, and, believe me, I did NOT want to go through THAT again, so I made a deal with myself: I no longer want to smoke. But if I'm at a party or an event where other people are smoking and I want one, I'll bum or buy a cigarette from somebody. And you know what? That's what got me through! I didn't deprive myself and it worked like a charm! A year later, I was put to the test when a friend was over for a weekend. A chain-smoker, he sat out on my Balcony all day smoking one cig after another. Finally, I couldn't stand it any more and I asked him, "Tim, could I bum a cigarette off of you?" He said, "Sure!" I smoked that one cigarette and haven't wanted another once since! Not depriving myself was/is the only answer to my successfully quitting smoking. Again, if I were to want a cig, I would allow myself to have one, and that would be it.

If my experience helps just one person to quit like I did without the baggage of withdrawal symptoms, this writing will have been worth it.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 11-02-2019 at 12:51 PM.

Perhaps finding out you have lung cancer will encourage some people to decide to never smoke another cigarette as happened in my case from the instant of my diagnosis over three years ago...Nicotine is a toxic and insidious drug that if given the opportunity will addict you...even those who successfully quit for a time... At one point years ago I even tried to limit my smoking to the golf course that ultimately led me gradually back to a full blown habit... Smoking nicotine makes your lungs crave for more which is why I even decline to join friends when they sit down to enjoy a cigar. EVERYONE who smokes cigarettes regularly for an extended period of time WILL develop COPD [[emphysema), not a matter of if, but when... I have studied cigarette addiction, and actually have begun studying Hypnotherapy as a way to provide treatment to help people looking to quit the habit which focuses on the behavioral, not trying to mimic the physical. While nicotine substitutes like gum, pills, patches, or vaping may help some people for the short term, in the final analysis, they are largely ineffective so long as the drug keeps being ingested into your system and my belief is cleaning nicotine out of your system as quickly as possible is the most effective route... Otherwise, with the drug still inhabiting your system, the desire to resume your cigarette smoking habit will return... That first cigarette will generally just lead to a resumption of the habit in that like any other drug...that first hit is always the best, and people spend the rest of the time chasing that same feeling which never happens... BTW...Chantix sucks, at least it did in my case... I began having the same horrible dreams with variations the moment I started taking it... Plus, it affected my digestive system... In the final analysis...no therapy for smoking cessation will be effective if the individual isn't fully committed to breaking the habit... If the individual is, and exhibits a level of self control, therapeutic methods like hypnosis, acupuncture, or even low beam laser therapy can be a help as these techniques are geared toward providing assistance in relaxation as the body cleans itself from the nicotine toxins to release endorphins from the brain which is also an aid in relaxation... Cream of Tartar is effective in helping accelerate the process of removing the nicotine from the body, and certain B complex vitamins are also helpful...I'm hoping to embark on a combination of laser/hypnotherapy along with a combination of suppliments after I return from a trip overseas after the first of the year...but once again...without the desire and firm commitment to quit, nothing will work... All that said... It's not my or anyone's job to moralize and try to compel anyone to stop any legal habit, particularly if a person finds enjoyment in it and understands the health related and financial risks involved...but for those seeking to quit that particular habit, while it's not easy, however, with the proper mindset and commitment, it can be done...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 11-02-2019 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Perhaps finding out you have lung cancer will encourage some people to decide to never smoke another cigarette as happened in my case from the instant of my diagnosis over three years ago...Nicotine is a toxic and insidious drug that if given the opportunity will addict you...even those who successfully quit for a time... At one point years ago I even tried to limit my smoking to the golf course that ultimately led me gradually back to a full blown habit... Smoking nicotine makes your lungs crave for more which is why I even decline to join friends when they sit down to enjoy a cigar. EVERYONE who smokes cigarettes regularly for an extended period of time WILL develop COPD [[emphysema), not a matter of if, but when... I have studied cigarette addiction, and actually have begun studying Hypnotherapy as a way to provide treatment to help people looking to quit the habit. While nicotine substitutes like gum, pills, patches, or vaping may help some people for the short term, in the final analysis, they are largely ineffective so long as the drug keeps being ingested into your system and my belief is cleaning nicotine out of your system as quickly as possible is the most effective route... Otherwise, with the drug still inhabiting your system, the desire to resume your cigarette smoking habit will return... That first cigarette will generally just lead to a resumption of the habit in that like any other drug...that first hit is always the best, and people spend the rest of the time chasing that same feeling which never happens... BTW...Chantix sucks, at least it did in my case... I began having the same horrible dreams with variations the moment I started taking it... Plus, it affected my digestive system... In the final analysis...no therapy for smoking cessation will be effective if the individual isn't fully committed to breaking the habit... If the individual is, and exhibits a level of self control, therapeutic methods like hypnosis, acupuncture, or even low beam laser therapy can be a help... I'm hoping to embark on a combination of laser/hypnotherapy after I return from a trip overseas after the first of the year...but once again...without the desire and firm commitment to quit, nothing will work... All that said... It's not my or anyone's job to moralize and try to compel anyone to stop any legal habit, particularly if a person finds enjoyment in it and understands the health related and financial risks involved...but for those seeking to quit that particular habit, while it's not easy, however, with the proper mindset and commitment, it can be done...
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  21.1 KB
    I agree 100% Stu,
    Everyone I know who used the nicotine patches returned to smoking. About half those I know who have used the electronic smoking went back to cigarette smoking, and the others are anxious about the scientists new findings that electronic "smoking" of non-tobacco substances [[such as hickory [[wood) can also lead to health problems.

I do know that a determined, committed person can quit without using those devices. My father quit "cold turkey" at age 54, lived till age 94, and never picked up a cigarette after quitting. He chewed sunflower seeds for about 4-5 months, stopped that cold, and still didn't feel the need to smoke, or even "chew" again.

Perhaps finding out you have lung cancer will encourage some people to decide to never smoke another cigarette as happened in my case from the instant of my diagnosis over three years ago...Nicotine is a toxic and insidious drug that if given the opportunity will addict you...even those who successfully quit for a time... At one point years ago I even tried to limit my smoking to the golf course that ultimately led me gradually back to a full blown habit... Smoking nicotine makes your lungs crave for more which is why I even decline to join friends when they sit down to enjoy a cigar. EVERYONE who smokes cigarettes regularly for an extended period of time WILL develop COPD [[emphysema), not a matter of if, but when... I have studied cigarette addiction, and actually have begun studying Hypnotherapy as a way to provide treatment to help people looking to quit the habit. While nicotine substitutes like gum, pills, patches, or vaping may help some people for the short term, in the final analysis, they are largely ineffective so long as the drug keeps being ingested into your system and my belief is cleaning nicotine out of your system as quickly as possible is the most effective route... Otherwise, with the drug still inhabiting your system, the desire to resume your cigarette smoking habit will return... That first cigarette will generally just lead to a resumption of the habit in that like any other drug...that first hit is always the best, and people spend the rest of the time chasing that same feeling which never happens... BTW...Chantix sucks, at least it did in my case... I began having the same horrible dreams with variations the moment I started taking it... Plus, it affected my digestive system... In the final analysis...no therapy for smoking cessation will be effective if the individual isn't fully committed to breaking the habit... If the individual is, and exhibits a level of self control, therapeutic methods like hypnosis, acupuncture, or even low beam laser therapy can be a help... I'm hoping to embark on a combination of laser/hypnotherapy after I return from a trip overseas after the first of the year...but once again...without the desire and firm commitment to quit, nothing will work... All that said... It's not my or anyone's job to moralize and try to compel anyone to stop any legal habit, particularly if a person finds enjoyment in it and understands the health related and financial risks involved...but for those seeking to quit that particular habit, while it's not easy, however, with the proper mindset and commitment, it can be done...
    So sorry to learn about your cancer scare, Stu. That's the worst part of smoking -- it's enjoyable! Few things made me happier than going under my headphones with my music, my Scotch, and my cigarettes. I was off in my own private little world where I bothered no one and no one bothered me. Having smoked cigs from the time I attended Business School at age 18 in Fall 1969 until Spring 2017 when the overwhelmingly sick feeling came over me that something had to give, I had felt no real desire to quit. I'm grateful that I finally got the message to do something about it. Everybody who has quit successfully did it in their own way, which is the only way it can be done. I wish you the best with your health and a long, happy life.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 11-02-2019 at 07:46 PM.

So sorry to learn about your cancer scare, Stu. That's the worst part of smoking -- it's enjoyable! Few things made me happier than going under my headphones with my music, my Scotch, and my cigarettes. I was off in my own private little world where I bothered no one and no one bothered me. Having smoked cigs from the time I attended Business School at age 18 in Fall 1969 until Spring 2017 when the overwhelmingly sick feeling came over me that something had to give, I had felt no real desire to quit. I'm grateful that I finally got the message to do something about it. Everybody who has quit successfully did it in their own way, which the only way it can be done. I wish you the best with your health and a long, happy life.
    Thank you Gary... Yup, cancer is a very frightening diagnosis. I was so fortunate that it got caught fairly early quite by accident as I was getting my injured rotator cuff MRI'd and they discovered my cancer in Stage 1 and sent me for further CT scans where they confirmed the diagnosis on the two suspicious nodules ... Other than normal smokers syndrome, occasional cough, minor chest tweaks, and manageable COPD diagnosis nothing gave me the idea that I had cancer... Within 6 weeks I was at City Of Hope having robotic surgery leaving a significant portion of my right lung behind... The 6 hour surgery, while pretty invasive was the easy part... My lung did not seal properly following the surgery and they were about to do another procedure a week later when my lung miraculously sealed the day before my next scheduled surgery and they discharged me the next day, but my issues weren't over... After being home for a couple of days, I sent my nephew [[whose a heart surgeon back in Detroit) a cellphone picture of the camera entry site and he told me I have an infection... Sure enough I did, but when I called the NP, she prescribed an oral antibiotic and told me to cme in if it didn't get better... I kept feeling worse and two days later on a Friday night I was pretty much becoming incoherent and my temperature hit 104, so I called a buddy to come drive me back to City of Hope... Long story short...I developed two lung infections, one of which has about 25% mortality rate as my organs had begun shutting down... For the next two weeks, they would come shoot a huge syringe of antibiotic into my lung, clamp it, and come back 4 hours later and drain it... When I finally went home, I had to have a nurse come to my house every day for a month to infuse me with more antibiotics and had a whole hospital apparatus set up for the IV bags...I also developed hallucinations in the hospital from all the narcotics they were shooting into me and made them stop with that stuff... So the moral of the story...if you don't smoke, you've got a much better chance of avoiding all those problems. Fortunately, I go every 6 months for follow up and my scans are all good at this point... Other than a little shortness of breath if I'm walking uphill, my lungs have compensated pretty well and I am able to participate in normal activities like golf, and walk 2 1/2/ miles every day... Thanks for your good wishes...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 11-02-2019 at 06:02 PM.

Thank you Gary... Yup, cancer is a very frightening diagnosis. I was so fortunate that it got caught fairly early quite by accident as I was getting my injured rotator cuff MRI'd and they discovered my cancer in Stage 1 and sent me for further CT scans where they confirmed the diagnosis on the two suspicious nodules ... Other than normal smokers syndrome, occasional cough, minor chest tweaks, and manageable COPD diagnosis nothing gave me the idea that I had cancer... Within 6 weeks I was at City Of Hope having robotic surgery leaving a significant portion of my right lung behind... The 6 hour surgery, while pretty invasive was the easy part... My lung did not seal properly following the surgery and they were about to do another procedure a week later when my lung miraculously sealed the day before my next scheduled surgery and they discharged me the next day, but my issues weren't over... After being home for a couple of days, I sent my nephew [[whose a heart surgeon back in Detroit) a cellphone picture of the camera entry site and he told me I have an infection... Sure enough I did, but when I called the NP, she prescribed an oral antibiotic and told me to cme in if it didn't get better... I kept feeling worse and two days later on a Friday night I was pretty much becoming incoherent and my temperature hit 104, so I called a buddy to come drive me back to City of Hope... Long story short...I developed two lung infections, one of which has about 25% mortality rate as my organs had begun shutting down... For the next two weeks, they would come shoot a huge syringe of antibiotic into my lung, clamp it, and come back 4 hours later and drain it... When I finally went home, I had to have a nurse come to my house every day for a month to infuse me with more antibiotics and had a whole hospital apparatus set up for the IV bags...I also developed hallucinations in the hospital from all the narcotics they were shooting into me and made them stop with that stuff... So the moral of the story...if you don't smoke, you've got a much better chance of avoiding all those problems. Fortunately, I go every 6 months for follow up and my scans are all good at this point... Other than a little shortness of breath if I'm walking uphill, my lungs have compensated pretty well and I am able to participate in normal activities like golf, and walk 2 1/2/ miles every day... Thanks for your good wishes...
    Bless your heart, Stu. Sounds like you've been through a very scary roller coaster with severe ups and downs at every turn. Thank heaven, you caught it in time and there will hopefully be no more rude surprises along the way.

I think the bottom line here is Dionne has a lot more to lose here than her voice...And it probably stinks being around her smoking that much...

I think the bottom line here is Dionne has a lot more to lose here than her voice...And it probably stinks being around her smoking that much...
    Yeah, especially smoker's breath! Ugh! Disgusting!!! I used to carry around a little bottle of mouthwash with me. Still do, in fact!

I have told my story on here about meeting Dionne once here in my hometown when she was attending a graduation. Even though it was a private event, I decided to approach her anyway to ask for an autograph. She graciously signed it, but with a cigarette dangling from her lips. That was in the early 80s when I had not heard as much about her smoking habit and it really caught me by surprise.

Thanks for sharing about your experience StuBass1. A horrific ordeal to say the least, glad to hear you are now on the other side of it. Hope you are shooting below par or getting there !

Mmm yes. My friend did mention that too!

Thanks for sharing about your experience StuBass1. A horrific ordeal to say the least, glad to hear you are now on the other side of it. Hope you are shooting below par or getting there !
    Thanks Boogiedown... Unfortunately, after my other ordeal, I delayed my rotator cuff surgery and since that's also a very long recovery...decided to put it off and my arm recovered a bit from my 9 month layoff and rest when all that other stuff was going on...so I'm playing, but not going 100% with my driver and thus have lost significant distance off the tee, but the rest of the game is decent, and I'm fortunate just to be able to be out there...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 11-03-2019 at 04:05 AM.

I know it was much more commonplace back in the 60's. I think that was the decade when it was clinically proven to be a serious health risk.
    Just about - I don't remember when the warning labels on tobacco were put into law here in the USA. Anywhichwho, it was nice to hear good things about my homegirl Dionne [[East Orange is 2 towns away)!

Three corresponding factors were coincidentally increased and popularized by the cigarette industry at around the same time lung cancer rates continued increasing despite smoking declining in the population beginning prior to the 80's... Those factors are the use of butane lighters by smokers, increase in filtered cigarettes, and the increase in menthol infused cigarettes. There should be more research in these statistics...Name:  declinedem.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  13.2 KB
    Last edited by StuBass1; 11-03-2019 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  21.1 KB
    I agree 100% Stu,
    Everyone I know who used the nicotine patches returned to smoking. About half those I know who have used the electronic smoking went back to cigarette smoking, and the others are anxious about the scientists new findings that electronic "smoking" of non-tobacco substances [[such as hickory [[wood) can also lead to health problems.

I do know that a determined, committed person can quit without using those devices. My father quit "cold turkey" at age 54, lived till age 94, and never picked up a cigarette after quitting. He chewed sunflower seeds for about 4-5 months, stopped that cold, and still didn't feel the need to smoke, or even "chew" again.
    Great story about your father Robb and good to hear that he had another 40 years to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    Great story about your father Robb and good to hear that he had another 40 years to enjoy.
    Best way to quit if possible... I hope Robbs dad isn't a golfer... The most irritating thing for a golfer is to get to the green and sunflower seed shells are laying all over the place...LOL

I'm glad you guys have gotten through your health scares. I smoked a long, long time ago. I guess I would say at that time it seemed that everyone smoked. Not only in restaurants, but on planes, in grocery stores [[!), even sales people in department stores would sometimes smoke while they were waiting on you! Seems incredible now. Of course we're talking over 30 years ago.

I know I had to try quitting a few times but never went back. Oddly, I'm not all that bothered if someone is smoking near me though it never triggers a desire for a cigarette or anything like that.

The good news is that even people who have smoked for years, I have read that their lungs can regenerate themselves a great deal. So it's always a good idea to quit, or at least cut down.

Through all this smoke I cant hear Dionne anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Through all this smoke I cant hear Dionne anymore!
    I know! It is so sad. She sounds dreadful on her new Xmas album,as indeed she did on her other recent album.
    At least we will always have her classic music from the 60's through to the 90's to treasure forever.

It is strange because I saw a recent performance on Youtube and there she sounded quite ok..