[REMOVE ADS]

What do you all think The Belle Album by Al Green?

I personally think it is an okay album at best, you could tell he was way past his peak at this point throughout his career. He has some nice tracks from that record such as Feels Like Summer but, the magic was gone

Now, is generally accepted that Al Greens peak was from 1971-1973 or 1974 [[depending on who you talk to). But just out of curiosity, what do you all think of The Belle album?

I found The Belle Album boring. I haven't listened to it since its first release so maybe I'll give it a try again but I distinctly remember being disappointed by the lp's 'boring-ness'. As I recall it was, as usual, well-produced and well-sung - perhaps it was the songs themselves I did not find engaging; or, as you say, 'the magic was gone'. Incidentally the lp received some rave reviews at the time ...

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSherry59 View Post
    I personally think it is an okay album at best, you could tell he was way past his peak at this point throughout his career. He has some nice tracks from that record such as Feels Like Summer but, the magic was gone

Now, is generally accepted that Al Greens peak was from 1971-1973 or 1974 [[depending on who you talk to). But just out of curiosity, what do you all think of The Belle album?
    So I did give TBA many-decades-later re-listen yesterday, and I continue to agree with you, Michael. My first impression during listening was that the entire lp seemed sort of 'early-stages', sounding a bit like late-stage demo's or first takes. Not bad, just sort of ... wan. Secondly I was struck by how devotional the lyrics are; this could really be considered Green's first gospel album. After that, well, some songs are quite good; most kinda so-so. There is some strong, funky backing here and there and as usual for Hi Records the background vocals are wonderful, but the lp sorta fades away during listening and I can't really see myself being enthusiastic to listen to it again. Interesting topic and I hope you get more reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    So I did give TBA many-decades-later re-listen yesterday, and I continue to agree with you, Michael. My first impression during listening was that the entire lp seemed sort of 'early-stages', sounding a bit like late-stage demo's or first takes. Not bad, just sort of ... wan. Secondly I was struck by how devotional the lyrics are; this could really be considered Green's first gospel album. After that, well, some songs are quite good; most kinda so-so. There is some strong, funky backing here and there and as usual for Hi Records the background vocals are wonderful, but the lp sorta fades away during listening and I can't really see myself being enthusiastic to listen to it again. Interesting topic and I hope you get more reaction.
    I also gave the album a re-listen many years after it's release today... My reviews are pretty much the same as yours lol and Al Green became a born again around this time [[if I remember correctly, which explains the lyrics), you could tell there were some funk influence creeping up with this record... Which, let's be honest, doesn't suit him at all lol

But in retrospect, you could tell the magic was gone for sure, it isn't on the same level as his 1971-1974 run
    Last edited by MichaelSherry59; 10-13-2021 at 09:04 PM.

Al Green's "The Belle Album" was his first album NOT produced by Willie Mitchell. I bought it at the time, but, like others, found it lackluster and boring. It was yet another lesson in how important the record producer is when it comes to creating an artist's "sound".

For the sake of convenience, here is a link for the full album on Youtube. Credits and other information are in the description.

Once Al hit with TIRED OF BEING ALONE I bought every album in a row as they came out in real time including the re-releasing of GREEN IS BLUES and BACK UP TRAIN in '71 . My last purchase was The Belle Album which landed with a disappointing thud. Missing the essential Willie Mitchell as Gary points out, which I didn't understand.

Green was already becoming much less than subtle when it came to incorporating his beliefs on songs like

I did appreciate Tim Rivers', the DJ at The I-Beam , the big club on Haight St. in SF incorporation of I FEEL LOVE in his sets at the time :

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Once Al hit with TIRED OF BEING ALONE I bought every album in a row as they came out in real time including the re-releasing of GREEN IS BLUES and BACK UP TRAIN in '71 . My last purchase was The Belle Album which landed with a disappointing thud. Missing the essential Willie Mitchell as Gary points out, which I didn't understand.

Green was already becoming much less than subtle when it came to incorporating his beliefs on songs like

I did appreciate Tim Rivers', the DJ at The I-Beam , the big club on Haight St. in SF incorporation of I FEEL LOVE in his sets at the time :

That Al Green song you posted [[well the album as a whole, Al Green Is Love) marked the beginning of the end for him in my opinion. I think his last classic was Explore Your Mind.

But just like you my friend, I purchased every Al Green album in real time when they were released as well, I was obsessed with this man's music alongside with Marvin Gaye, Willie Mitchell not being part of The Belle album was strange at the time.

Is funny when we all look back at it in retrospect because there was a time when Al Green was complaining to Willie Mitchell that his music was sounding the same, but he had a great run from 71-74

I much prefer the "Back Up Train" album.

BOOGIE: "Once Al hit with TIRED OF BEING ALONE I bought every album in a row as they came out in real time including the re-releasing of GREEN IS BLUES and BACK UP TRAIN in '71

GARY: Me, too, Boogie!

BOOGIE: My last purchase was The Belle Album which landed with a disappointing thud.

GARY: Same here. Yeah. Thud...SPLAT!

BOOGIE: Missing the essential Willie Mitchell as Gary points out, which I didn't understand."

GARY: I've gotta admit, I DO like that special dance mix of "I Feel Good" posted above by Michael.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-14-2021 at 01:18 PM.

Gary and Michael :

-------
    and I wonder how Al felt about the smoking a doobie imagery on his record??

Gary and Michael :

-------
    and I wonder how Al felt about the smoking a doobie imagery on his record??

Naive me, Boogie. All these years, I thought that HI Records' new blue-fingers logo was signing the "Okay" sign [[like Cindy Birdsong signed with the accompanying wink in that 60's Supremes photo of her). It never dawned on me that those blue fingers were fingering a doobie! [[Today, from what I've heard, the okay sign has also been adopted as a gang sign.) If the logo were really fingering a joint, wouldn't the thumb and index finger be pinched together? They're spread apart enough to be holding a cigar!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Naive me, Boogie. All these years, I thought that HI Records' new blue-fingers logo was signing the "Okay" sign [[like Cindy Birdsong signed with the accompanying wink in that 60's Supremes photo of her). It never dawned on me that those blue fingers were fingering a doobie! [[Today, from what I've heard, the okay sign has also been adopted as a gang sign.) If the logo were really fingering a joint, wouldn't the thumb and index finger be pinched together? They're spread apart enough to be holding a cigar!
    hee hee does that make it a blunt ?? the fingers are pinched against the inhaling "mouth" of the spindle hole

.... and it is "hi" records
    and Al is singing about feeling good ....

hee hee does that make it a blunt ?? the fingers are pinched against the inhaling "mouth" of the spindle hole

.... and it is "hi" records
    and Al is singing about feeling good ....
    HaHa! Well, there ya have it! Inhaling spindle hole, "Hi[[gh)" Records, "feeling good". You've hit that proverbial nail right on the head! HaHa!