[REMOVE ADS]

You Are Not Alone

I personally prefer Diana’s version to MJ’s. The song really suits her voice, with her performance sounding both poignant and heartfelt. Her live versions of the song sound even better then the recording.
    The song seems kind of wasted tacked on to a compilation album. We’re it not for MJ, it would surely have given her another top ten hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I personally prefer Diana’s version to MJ’s. The song really suits her voice, with her performance sounding both poignant and heartfelt. Her live versions of the song sound even better then the recording.
    The song seems kind of wasted tacked on to a compilation album. We’re it not for MJ, it would surely have given her another top ten hit.
    She only recorded it as a tribute to Michael Jackson. We did briefly consider releasing it as a single, but we quickly decided against it much to her dismay.

Need a CD with all these gems

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Need a CD with all these gems
    It's readily available in The Voice Of Love cd from the mid 90's David.

I prefer the mj version..I don't think it would have been a big hit for diana..it's too closely associated with Jackson whose brand at the time was very strong..plus Micheal had charted with it only a couple of years previously to diana's release

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    I prefer the mj version..I don't think it would have been a big hit for diana..it's too closely associated with Jackson whose brand at the time was very strong..plus Micheal had charted with it only a couple of years previously to diana's release
    Perhaps i’m biased in preferring Diana’s voice. Had it been written specifically for her i think it would have proved a sizeable hit.
    ”Human Nature” is another MJ song i wish Diana had recorded. If her 81 special was anything to go by, she appeared to really appreciate his current music. Huge shame he never got to produce a few of the songs on that first rca album.

Perhaps i’m biased in preferring Diana’s voice. Had it been written specifically for her i think it would have proved a sizeable hit.
    ”Human Nature” is another MJ song i wish Diana had recorded. If her 81 special was anything to go by, she appeared to really appreciate his current music. Huge shame he never got to produce a few of the songs on that first rca album.
    It was the 2nd rca album which he was eager to write and produce. Sadly we only got the one track and a whole crock of shit !

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It was the 2nd rca album which he was eager to write and produce. Sadly we only got the one track and a whole crock of shit !
    LOL. What might have been.

Hmmmm...........not really sure You Are Not Alone would have been a big hit for Diana in the UK.

Personally I don't think MJ did Diana any favour's with the few songs he wrote for her.

I suppose like most artists he kept the best for himself.

Eaten Alive was a complete mess and personally I'm not a Muscles fan.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Hmmmm...........not really sure You Are Not Alone would have been a big hit for Diana in the UK.

Personally I don't think MJ did Diana any favour's with the few songs he wrote for her.

I heard a couple of the demo's for the proposed project. They were pretty good as i recall. Jackson eventually produced one of the tunes for Jennifer Holliday. It was a lovely ballad. I think it was called Your the one. There was also a proposed duet which sounded nice.
    What might have been....

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post

The only reasons why we considered it for a single release were because she was touring at the time and a single would have possibly helped sales of the album, but the main reason was to continue Ms Ross's run of having enjoyed at least one entry on the UK singles chart every single year from 1964 up to that particular year. Cannot remember the exact year but it was probably the mid 90's.

The only reasons why we considered it for a single release were because she was touring at the time and a single would have possibly helped sales of the album, but the main reason was to continue Ms Ross's run of having enjoyed at least one entry on the UK singles chart every single year from 1964 up to that particular year. Cannot remember the exact year but it was probably the mid 90's.
    The year was 1996. I remember this run of chart success and realized it ended when there was not a UK single released in 1997...

Sorry I'm going off topic here but as the thread seems to be about 'what might have been' I wanted to add that I think one of the biggest mistakes Diana made was turning down 'Islands in the stream' [[and please correct me if I've got my facts wrong). I can hear her ding this in my head and I'm convinced it could have been a number 1 in the U.K. What on earth was she thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    The year was 1996. I remember this run of chart success and realized it ended when there was not a UK single released in 1997...
    Your memory is better than mine Johnny. Thank you for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    Sorry I'm going off topic here but as the thread seems to be about 'what might have been' I wanted to add that I think one of the biggest mistakes Diana made was turning down 'Islands in the stream' [[and please correct me if I've got my facts wrong). I can hear her ding this in my head and I'm convinced it could have been a number 1 in the U.K. What on earth was she thinking?
    No need to correct you lakedistrictlad. You do not have your facts wrong.
    We could spend all day discussing why she turned down Quincy Jones, Michael Jackson, The Gibb Brothers, Luther Vandross, Mick Hucknell. The list is endless.
    I suspect it was mainly down to money.

I wasn't too crazy about the song no matter who sung it.

I pulled the Vision of Love compilation out to play in the car just last week, it is a good mix of hits and obscure tracks, I like her version of you are not alone, but it is not a patch on the MJ original IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by dickiemint View Post
    I pulled the Vision of Love compilation out to play in the car just last week, it is a good mix of hits and obscure tracks, I like her version of you are not alone, but it is not a patch on the MJ original IMHO.
    I tend to agree. The song will forever be associated with him despite it being written by R.Kelly if my memory serves me correctly?

Yeah it was written by RKelly Bluebrock, remember the cringe worthy MJ video not wearing much with the then wife Lisa-Marie Presley

I love the song by Michael Jackson, but that video had me traumatized. MJ is my baby and that video was supposed to be a hot thing, but they both looked so uncomfortable and not into each other at all.

I would have preferred a video of MJ singing YANA to Diana Ross. So. Much. Sex.

Yeah it was written by RKelly Bluebrock, remember the cringe worthy MJ video not wearing much with the then wife Lisa-Marie Presley
    I am glad to say i have no memory of that video.
    Sometimes a failing memory can have it's advantages!

Agree. He looked rather like a white man wearing to much makeup. I think Diana’s version has more integrity.
    Another song from the Voice Of Love compilation, “In The Ones You Love” was a minor hit in the UK. The cd contains a great song lineup, but with the exception of the new recordings i find the overall sound quality quite poor.
    Does anyone know if the new songs were meant to have formed part of a new Diana album?.

a question on this period ive always wanted to know - Japan's version of VOL - "Gift Of Love" includes the track "Promise Me You'll Try" - this was released as a "3 cd single in that market it also includes a version called "Performance Track ".where was this from ? a tv show ?..im sure sup fan,Reece or Ollie will know...

Im not too keen on "In The Ones You Love".either..for me "Voice Of Love" is the strongest of the three new tracks and I would Have gone with that as a single

a question on this period ive always wanted to know - Japan's version of VOL - "Gift Of Love" includes the track "Promise Me You'll Try" - this was released as a "3 cd single in that market it also includes a version called "Performance Track ".where was this from ? a tv show ?..im sure sup fan,Reece or Ollie will know...
    I thought it was from a Japanese tv show but I'm not sure.

Up to the early 90s any Diana Ross compilation album in the UK flew of the shelves but One Woman - The Ultimate Collection was so massive that it more or less killed future compilations off.

Diana didn't have that many more hits after that and everyone had One Woman so didn't feel the need to purchase any further ones.

The track selection on Voice Of Love was interesting but most wouldn't have bothered delving into that.

Of the three new songs I think In The Ones You Love was the most commercial - it got caught up in the Christmas rush, perhaps it would have fared better at another time of the year.

All Of My Life came close to suffering the same fate but managed to get a foothold on the chart in the new year and blossomed.

You Are Not Alone is too much associated with MJ and while [[I Hear) the Voice Of Love is a nice ballad t doesn't really have a chorus which is what hooks the UK public on Diana's ballads.

I absolutely love Promise Me You'll Try - I don't know how it might have done in the UK.

It was only a minor hit in Japan, but then it is a notoriously difficult market for non-Nationals, If We Hold On Together had the power of a TV Soap Opera behind it.

Releasing Your Are Not Alone in 1997 to promote the "Voice of Love" tour would have made sense. Ross sang the song in Rotterdam in June 1997 and everybody started to scream, assuming that Michael Jackson would come on stage, as he was in the country at the time for his HIStory tour, performing in Amsterdam... obviously, he didn't!

Agree. He looked rather like a white man wearing to much makeup. I think Diana’s version has more integrity.
    Another song from the Voice Of Love compilation, “In The Ones You Love” was a minor hit in the UK. The cd contains a great song lineup, but with the exception of the new recordings i find the overall sound quality quite poor.
    Does anyone know if the new songs were meant to have formed part of a new Diana album?.
    I seem to recall these few songs were recorded with the intention of releasing a mini album exclusively for the Japanese market, but when some enterprising individual at EMI UK suggested some kind of love songs compilation to include a few of these songs. Ms Ross herself had considerable input regarding the track listing. She was happier with the UK release more than the Japanese album.

She does a great version of it, for sure. Believe it or not, there are often times MJ recorded something that I think would've fit Diana. But of the two versions I prefer MJ's "You Are Not Alone". It was a return to form for him. MJ had been missing for a minute and it was nice to have him back...if only for a minute. I still remember hearing it for the first time. Takes me back to a special time. Had Diana done it first, I think she may have scored a major AC cut, but I don't know if pop and r&b radio would've gotten anymore behind this one anymore than any other of her cuts at the time.

Agree. [[Although I've never cared for "Human Nature" except when SWV sampled it.) Which also brings up another travesty of music which is no Quincy Jones produced Diana album. Has to be in my top 10- maybe top 5- of most disappointing "what ifs" of Diana's career.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    She does a great version of it, for sure. Believe it or not, there are often times MJ recorded something that I think would've fit Diana. But of the two versions I prefer MJ's "You Are Not Alone". It was a return to form for him. MJ had been missing for a minute and it was nice to have him back...if only for a minute. I still remember hearing it for the first time. Takes me back to a special time. Had Diana done it first, I think she may have scored a major AC cut, but I don't know if pop and r&b radio would've gotten anymore behind this one anymore than any other of her cuts at the time.
    Had Diana been the first, i think the song could have done very well for her. It would most probably have needed a few strategic tv appearances and a good promo video to set the ball rolling. It’s a strong song with lyrics that have universal appeal. America of course would have just ignored it as usual.

I seem to recall these few songs were recorded with the intention of releasing a mini album exclusively for the Japanese market, but when some enterprising individual at EMI UK suggested some kind of love songs compilation to include a few of these songs. Ms Ross herself had considerable input regarding the track listing. She was happier with the UK release more than the Japanese album.
    Seated in the second row at a concert, i once overheard Diana tell a fan that the company refused to release “Promise Me You’ll Try”. I presumed she meant as a single.
    It was of course released as a single in Japan, but seems odd that it was kept exclusive to that country. The same with “That’s Why I Call You My Friend”.

Seated in the second row at a concert, i once overheard Diana tell a fan that the company refused to release “Promise Me You’ll Try”. I presumed she meant as a single.
    It was of course released as a single in Japan, but seems odd that it was kept exclusive to that country. The same with “That’s Why I Call You My Friend”.
    I don't know for sure. But I thought TWICYMF was commissioned by the Japanese tourist board, maybe. And PMYT might have been the theme for a nighttime soap opera.

However, I can't confirm any of this. Much of my fan club info is stored in the basement and I don't recall where I might have read these things.
    Last edited by reese; 04-05-2021 at 01:53 PM.

"Promise me" is too good of a song not to get an international release.. interesting the company wouldn't allow her to release it..I wonder why ? Jennifer lopez's version is no where good as diana's..

I'm not sure they "refused" to release "promise me you'll try". It was more of a case of it not being a suitable fit for the "voice of love" album.
    I agree it was good enough to gain a release in some format, but sometimes things can slip through the net. In hindsight maybe a studio album of all new material could have been released rather than "voice of love". There are a couple of other outtakes i am aware of that remain in the vault. There probably was sufficient material to warrant such a release.

I'm not sure they "refused" to release "promise me you'll try". It was more of a case of it not being a suitable fit for the "voice of love" album.
    I agree it was good enough to gain a release in some format, but sometimes things can slip through the net. In hindsight maybe a studio album of all new material could have been released rather than "voice of love". There are a couple of other outtakes i am aware of that remain in the vault. There probably was sufficient material to warrant such a release.
    I think a new album might have proved a better idea. “Promise Me” and “Call You My Friend” seemed to slip through the net. If short of new material they could have added the three ballads from the box set. “PMYT” in particular had hit potential.
    It would also have continued her record of charting every year..

Im not too keen on "In The Ones You Love".either..for me "Voice Of Love" is the strongest of the three new tracks and I would Have gone with that as a single

I like it, but consider the Diana penned “Voice Of Love” the weakest of the three new songs from the compilation.. For me it’s just a sweet album track....Nothing more.

Had Diana been the first, i think the song could have done very well for her. It would most probably have needed a few strategic tv appearances and a good promo video to set the ball rolling. It’s a strong song with lyrics that have universal appeal. America of course would have just ignored it as usual.
    Yes, overseas Diana was able to maintain her "relevancy" as an artist. Over here it was a much different story. I do feel that with the right song she could've eventually rebounded, even if it was a one off thing, but to me nothing released as singles during the 90s were capable of doing that, except maybe "When You Tell Me" and "Take Me Higher". The former was a beautiful song and I'm surprised it didn't do better. Surprisingly it was a top 40 r&b cut [[her last top 40 on that chart), but I never ever heard it on the radio. It definitely sounds like it would've been a big AC hit but it stalled at 26. "Take Me Higher" I believe was released at the wrong time. Had it been recorded and released around 92 or 93, when dance music was still radio popular, I think it may have caught on. By 1995 that kind of tune was no longer the in thing for radio to get behind. She was a bit too late on that one.

Yes, overseas Diana was able to maintain her "relevancy" as an artist. Over here it was a much different story. I do feel that with the right song she could've eventually rebounded, even if it was a one off thing, but to me nothing released as singles during the 90s were capable of doing that, except maybe "When You Tell Me" and "Take Me Higher". The former was a beautiful song and I'm surprised it didn't do better. Surprisingly it was a top 40 r&b cut [[her last top 40 on that chart), but I never ever heard it on the radio. It definitely sounds like it would've been a big AC hit but it stalled at 26. "Take Me Higher" I believe was released at the wrong time. Had it been recorded and released around 92 or 93, when dance music was still radio popular, I think it may have caught on. By 1995 that kind of tune was no longer the in thing for radio to get behind. She was a bit too late on that one.
    Did you ever consider moving to the UK to be amongst those that still bought her music?.

I think a new album might have proved a better idea. “Promise Me” and “Call You My Friend” seemed to slip through the net. If short of new material they could have added the three ballads from the box set. “PMYT” in particular had hit potential.
    It would also have continued her record of charting every year..
    I wish we had maintained that run for a further year or two.

I wish we had maintained that run for a further year or two.
    It would have seemed fitting to get to the year 2000. Not quite sure how though lol.

I liked promise me you'll try
    Nice track.would have preferred more new material instead of one new track amongst all the hits....
    Going back

Did you ever consider moving to the UK to be amongst those that still bought her music?.
    Nope. Because the truth is, in the 90s, I wasn't checking for Diana either. Aside from "Take Me Higher", I always passed on everything she did after "Working Overtime". [[I did get the Stolen Moments set after seeing it broadcast on the Disney channel, if I'm not mistaken.)

Besides, you all would've tossed me back to the States quicker than you did Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.

Nope. Because the truth is, in the 90s, I wasn't checking for Diana either. Aside from "Take Me Higher", I always passed on everything she did after "Working Overtime". [[I did get the Stolen Moments set after seeing it broadcast on the Disney channel, if I'm not mistaken.)

Besides, you all would've tossed me back to the States quicker than you did Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.
    LOL. Dear Meghan. Things just haven’t been the same since she left.

LOL. Dear Meghan. Things just haven’t been the same since she left.
    Ha! Space shuttles are picking up the party lights from Buckingham Palace.

Ha! Space shuttles are picking up the party lights from Buckingham Palace.
    Exactly!!. Things just aren’t the same.

"Promise me" is too good of a song not to get an international release.. interesting the company wouldn't allow her to release it..I wonder why ? Jennifer lopez's version is no where good as diana's..
    Overall i prefer Diana’s version of the song. I find Jennifer’s tends to drag a bit.
    I think a slow intro like on the JL track, then speeding things up would have made it stand out more. Diana excels at those plaintive intros.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Releasing Your Are Not Alone in 1997 to promote the "Voice of Love" tour would have made sense. Ross sang the song in Rotterdam in June 1997 and everybody started to scream, assuming that Michael Jackson would come on stage, as he was in the country at the time for his HIStory tour, performing in Amsterdam... obviously, he didn't!
    I was at that Diana concert and I remember a fan asking Ms. Ross if Michael Jackson will show up. Her reply was: "He has my number". And that was that.