[REMOVE ADS]

The Paul Williams Story [[The Temptations)

This is a bit of a downer,but still an interesting watch:

Thanks for posting, Marv. I wish Unsung would do an episode on Paul.

How sad & tragic, Thanks Marv.

I too wish Unsung would do an episode on him. In case anyone is interested in listening to his solo performances, check out The Temptations "One by One." This was one of the Anthology Master Series. Two of his solos are included in this. Feel Like Giving Up b/w Once You Had a Heart were scheduled to be released on a 45 on Gordy 7125, however it was cancelled. Feel Like Giving Up was included in Motown Year by Year 1973.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    I too wish Unsung would do an episode on him. In case anyone is interested in listening to his solo performances, check out The Temptations "One by One." This was one of the Anthology Master Series. Two of his solos are included in this. Feel Like Giving Up b/w Once You Had a Heart were scheduled to be released on a 45 on Gordy 7125, however it was cancelled. Feel Like Giving Up was included in Motown Year by Year 1973.
    Woodward, although "I Feel Like Giving Up" was unreleased, I remember station WKLR in Toledo playing it the week that Paul Williams died as a tribute. I wonder if it was some sort of promotional copy.

You're welcome lockhartgay and Jaybs.

"Feel Like Giving Up":

"Once You Had a Heart":

I had no idea that Cornelius Grant, David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks were robbed after leaving Paul's funeral. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    I had no idea that Cornelius Grant, David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks were robbed after leaving Paul's funeral. Sad.

I was actually going to mention that. I believe they were robbed in Toledo. I know they reported it on the radio there at the time.

Paul was my friend. I met him around 1964. I would visit him when he lived in an apartment over a storefront on Woodward Ave in the North End of Detroit. He drove a gray Pontiac with a black vinyl top at the time. He eventually moved into a ranch house on Appoline I believe and bought himself a Corvette...In 1966, he invited me and my buddy to hang out with him at the Roostertail when they cut their Live album. I was shagging his scotch from the bar and he even bout me and my buddy [[all of 16 years old) drinks LOL... I would talk with Paul from time to time about my music and bands I was playing in. I was playing R&B ands Paul always used to get on me, advising me to play with White musicians because I'd have a better chance to succeed, but I was performing with R&B and Jazz groups with mostly Black musicians and artists around Detroit. I hadn't seen Paul in a few years when I ran into him at Biffs on W Grand Blvd shortly before his death. He looked horrible and invited me to sit and have lunch with him. We talked for a while and he told me that he was working on some solo material but I wasn't aware of all the goings on with him and the Tempts. We did discuss David Ruffin and he told me that in his words...David went off to "Cloud Nine"... We exchanged info as I left, but that was the last time I spoke with him. I heard about his passing a few days after it happened. Very sad. Paul was the kind of guy who would give you the shirt off his back and was always friendly to everyone. I wish he were still with us...

Paul and Eddie grew up in the same neighborhood as my maternal Grandmother and her family in Birmingham! They attended the same school up until Paul and Eddie dropped out. She said that she would hear them harmonizing everyday around the schoolyard and other parts of town!

One of my Mom’s cousins even went over to Paul’s house when he came to town for a visit. This was around 69 or 70. He signed an autograph for her. I remember her taking me to the house one evening.
    Being the “tempaholic” I was and still am, this was a real treat.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    Paul and Eddie grew up in the same neighborhood as my maternal Grandmother and her family in Birmingham! They attended the same school up until Paul and Eddie dropped out. She said that she would hear them harmonizing everyday around the schoolyard and other parts of town!

One of my Mom’s cousins even went over to Paul’s house when he came to town for a visit. This was around 69 or 70. He signed an autograph for her. I remember her taking me to the house one evening.
    Being the “tempaholic” I was and still am, this was a real treat.
    I love it! It still amazes me how some of us are connected to these now music legends in just simple human ways. My nephew and Eddie's son Paul grew up together in Toledo. I love reading yours and Stu's stories. thank you

Great post marv,hear stu tell of his time with the temps makes me feel as though i was there too-thanks stu,i've always felt that although each of the temps leads would move me it was something about paul's leads that put a different feel on his songs,where would the temps have been without him-paul forever!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Great post marv,hear stu tell of his time with the temps makes me feel as though i was there too-thanks stu,i've always felt that although each of the temps leads would move me it was something about paul's leads that put a different feel on his songs,where would the temps have been without him-paul forever!!
    Oh Paul was the true entertainer of the group! He, with the right support could have doing some things along the lines of what Sammy Davis Jr., Frank Sinatra and other old style entertainment giants did in Vegas, etc. Paul was perfect for that.

According to otis,paul knew legends like-peg leg bates,so he had seen some dancing by the time he got to the temps.

A very sad but important story that needs to be told. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by scanspeak View Post
    A very sad but important story that needs to be told. Thanks for sharing.
    You're most welcome Scanspeak. I agree. Paul Williams has a really compelling story. Too bad that most of it was not told in the Temptations mini-series.

Marv,isn't it sad that paul's last lead on a single[don't look back]wasn't used in the min-series,shame on ms depass for leaving it out.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Marv,isn't it sad that paul's last lead on a single[don't look back]wasn't used in the min-series,shame on ms depass for leaving it out.
    It was awful, the liberities they took with the Temptations story. I can't stand Suzanne DePasse.