[REMOVE ADS]

temptationsfan500 Guest

Temptations-Power-Midnight Special performance

At their best.

I remember seeing this the night it was originally broadcast.

Oh yeah,the temps doin it!

I love Melvin starting it off

edafan

temptationsfan500 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by edafan View Post
    I love Melvin starting it off

edafan
    Melvin rocks Power. And Dennis blows the roof off that m'f at the end.

Temptationsfan500 OMG my alltime favourite song from myalltime favourite group.
    And I’ve never seen this!
    Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
    I’m currently on a lonely sales trip across northernEurope and this sends me to bed so happy and contented.
    This is what makes our forum so great – our shared loveof our Motown artists across decades and continents.
    Sleep well everyone.

This appearance aired on May 30, 1980 on NBC.

Well I've already watched this several times so told myself I wouldn't watch it again as there's no point

But I had to, lol... and I thoroughly enjoyed it... for the 57th time

Can I just say, ALL The Tempts are AMAZING on this one. Every time I listen to it my favourite performance changes I think. As Tempts fan said, Melvin absolutely rocks it... Glenn is smooth as ever... Dennis sounds like some crazy funky preacher... and Richard oh my that voice. And there’s that ultra-funky guitar... phew

Such a fantatsic song. Love it.

temptationsfan500 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Well I've already watched this several times so told myself I wouldn't watch it again as there's no point

But I had to, lol... and I thoroughly enjoyed it... for the 57th time

Can I just say, ALL The Tempts are AMAZING on this one. Every time I listen to it my favourite performance changes I think. As Tempts fan said, Melvin absolutely rocks it... Glenn is smooth as ever... Dennis sounds like some crazy funky preacher... and Richard oh my that voice. And there’s that ultra-funky guitar... phew

Such a fantatsic song. Love it.
    When you look up music in a dictionary [[if they got them) you're going to see a picture of The Temptations.

Quote Originally Posted by temptationsfan500 View Post
    When you look up music in a dictionary [[if they got them) you're going to see a picture of The Temptations.
    I didn’t know what you meant there temptsfan but then I got it.

And YES, well, there definitely should be!

Is this a mix from the album? I know the 45 version was not this long.

This should have a much bigger hit and this performance would have generated higher record sales if it had been shown here in the UK. Still, we can be thankful that the song 'tempted' the group to return to Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Is this a mix from the album? I know the 45 version was not this long.
    Hey gary, I think so. The album version is 6 minutes long, and The Tempts are singing for about that long I think. The “open up heaven's door” verse isn’t in the single version I believe.

temptationsfan500 Guest
    Didn't the uprising in the Liberty City section of Miami put a halt of Power's rise on the charts? I think I read somewhere [[in Otis' book?) that programmers became afraid of playing the song because of the message? If so, stupid. Power is another great Temptations protest/message song.

Quote Originally Posted by temptationsfan500 View Post
    Didn't the uprising in the Liberty City section of Miami put a halt of Power's rise on the charts? I think I read somewhere [[in Otis' book?) that programmers became afraid of playing the song because of the message? If so, stupid. Power is another great Temptations protest/message song.
    You know what? They said that, but I don't believe that. It was 1980 and I was around. Music was still good, but he did not have the type of heavy social consciousness messages that was out there in the 60s and early 70s. Those riots were going on without being influence by any music. That particular riot paled in comparison to what we lived through in the 1960s. It is a nice story, but I it is not true. The Liberty City riot had nothing to do with "Power" by the Temptations not rising higher on the charts. There was a lot of good music out at that time and the competition was pretty tough.

temptationsfan500 Guest
    Just looked at Otis' book. He says that Power got off to a good start when released but then pop stations stopped playing the song after the Miami riots. He didn't say Power caused the riots, just that some stations on the pop side pulled it in the aftermath. He goes on to write about hard it was in the 80s for The Temptations to get their singles played on pop radio.