[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

TCB the show - a discussion

TCB was a wonderful show. gorgeous costumes, imaginative set. Just iconic!!

What are your favorite moments? mine is the shot in the middle of Stop! as they hit the 2nd chorus and the camera quickly zooms out from just Diana to all 3 girls as they do their hand choreography for Stop. they're in my fav gowns - the green swirls.

What are your thoughts on song selection? the Diana solo material?

there are some known outtakes - Mas Que Nada, When the Lovelight, Funny Girl medley

Are there songs or things you'd like them to have included?

My favorite moment is probably "The Impossible Dream", with all of them together. Paul and Diana really shine and it's a bit of a sentimental moment if the story is accurate that it was Paul who overheard Diana singing and suggested she join the group. To think ten years ago [[at the time) these two kids run into each other and start themselves on a crash course in music history that would bring them from the hood together on a tv special singing about an impossible dream. As a sentimental person myself, I get a kick out of watching that performance.

Song selection was okay. I think both groups did a nice mix of hits and MOR. I would've liked to see both groups do a medley of doowop and other popular songs from the Primes/Primettes days.

Actually I think the joint performance on Ed Sullivan was so good that they probably should've repeated it for the TV special doing different songs.

I would've liked to hear the Supremes cover "Since I Lost My Baby", "All I Need", and "I Wish It Would Rain" while the Tempts do "You Can't Hurry Love", "Back In My Arms Again" and "Love Is Here and Now You're Gone" and then end the medley with both groups singing "You're My Everything".

I have a lot of fave moments: the opening in green swirls, the way you do the things you do, for once in my life, respect, the impossible dream - a killer as ran ran said, but, above all, I love the sequence segueing from Afro Vogue to Somewhere. It’s black foot forward at its most audacious, it’s a statement that “you can take out MLK, but I’M here. You can take ME out - but WE’RE here. 4 years ago we were on busses using colored only fountains - now they are pre-empting the #1 tv show for US. We can do it on your terms or ours. Dressed African or Bob Mackie.” It took balls to do that. Great big, huge, hairy balls to shout “free at last” to those who came to hear Baby Love - and they knew it.

Mas Que Nada was a snore. Funny Girl didn’t fit. This show was perfect the way it was.

Since I was a toddler when the show aired, TCB was an album I always wanted to hear and a TV show that I always wanted to see. I received the album first and was immediately struck by the arrangement on YOU KEEP ME HANGIN' ON, with the strong bongos and vocals to match. SOMEWHERE was also a favorite, with the MLK tribute in the middle, and Diana's vocal light years ahead of the version on the Copa. Paul's FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE was also a personal fave, along with I HEAR A SYMPHONY and THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM.

When I finally saw the special in 1990, besides the faves mentioned above, I really liked the Afro Vogue segment. After years of reading about it, it was nice to see what it actually was.

For the most part, I wouldn't change the show at all. I think it is perfect as is. That said, if I had to change anything, I would remove the group medley in the second segment and replace it with a medley of LOVE CHILD, CLOUD NINE, and I'M GONNA MAKE YOU LOVE ME. I know those songs weren't in the special because they had yet to be recorded when the special was filmed. But by the time the show aired, all of those songs were already hits or on their way. Including them would have only made the show more exciting.
    Last edited by reese; 05-21-2019 at 03:44 PM.

How the hell did I forget Afro Vogue???!!! Yes, definitely a highlight.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Actually I think the joint performance on Ed Sullivan was so good that they probably should've repeated it for the TV special doing different songs.

I would've liked to hear the Supremes cover "Since I Lost My Baby", "All I Need", and "I Wish It Would Rain" while the Tempts do "You Can't Hurry Love", "Back In My Arms Again" and "Love Is Here and Now You're Gone" and then end the medley with both groups singing "You're My Everything".
    that's a great idea!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I have a lot of fave moments: the opening in green swirls, the way you do the things you do, for once in my life, respect, the impossible dream - a killer as ran ran said, but, above all, I love the sequence segueing from Afro Vogue to Somewhere. It’s black foot forward at its most audacious, it’s a statement that “you can take out MLK, but I’M here. You can take ME out - but WE’RE here. 4 years ago we were on busses using colored only fountains - now they are pre-empting the #1 tv show for US. We can do it on your terms or ours. Dressed African or Bob Mackie.” It took balls to do that. Great big, huge, hairy balls to shout “free at last” to those who came to hear Baby Love - and they knew it.

Mas Que Nada was a snore. Funny Girl didn’t fit. This show was perfect the way it was.
    I only wish Diana wasn't in her hiccup phase during this period. I agree that Somewhere provided as hugely strong emotional peak in the special

What are people's thoughts though on the greatly reduced role M and C had during Somewhere? in their previous shows they all sang it. but here M and C are not only offstage but their background parts are reduced. I realize that the special was intended to be a showcase for Diana. but i preferred the group approach to Somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I only wish Diana wasn't in her hiccup phase during this period. I agree that Somewhere provided as hugely strong emotional peak in the special

What are people's thoughts though on the greatly reduced role M and C had during Somewhere? in their previous shows they all sang it. but here M and C are not only offstage but their background parts are reduced. I realize that the special was intended to be a showcase for Diana. but i preferred the group approach to Somewhere
    IMO, it was a bit disrespectful to have Mary and Cindy offstage during SOMEWHERE. Diana could have carried the number alone. I don't think the background vocals were needed. Plus it probably didn't do much for offstage morale.

I only wish Diana wasn't in her hiccup phase during this period.
    For whatever reason, the horribly annoying hiccups are especially pronounced on TCB. Whoever thought this was a good idea as a vocal flourish was insane. The hiccups are annoying wherever they appear. Does anyone know why she chose to do this?

Are we sure that is Mary and Cindy behind the curtain?

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    For whatever reason, the horribly annoying hiccups are especially pronounced on TCB. Whoever thought this was a good idea as a vocal flourish was insane. The hiccups are annoying wherever they appear. Does anyone know why she chose to do this?
    I always thought that sound wasn't on purpose but because she was breathing incorrectly while singing.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I always thought that sound wasn't on purpose but because she was breathing incorrectly while singing.
    I really don’t care for Diana Ross’ voice doing this particular time. It just sounds so scratchy like her vocals needed a rest.

I thought this album had the best ever version of I’m Losing You by the Temptations

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I thought this album had the best ever version of I’m Losing You by the Temptations
    I agree. I love this live version. I love watching the string section during this number and the Temptations take it home with that choreography.

Never watched it, not in its entirety anyway. Anyone know how I can do this?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Never watched it, not in its entirety anyway. Anyone know how I can do this?
    It's on YouTube.

Thank you very much Jaap, I will try and watch that soon!

I think Diana was experimenting with persona's during this time. she was only 22 or so. and she had recently been "the cute skinny girl with the huge smile that was just so thrilled to be here and can't believe you like me!! heheeh" Now she was a woman, not a teen. She hadn't evolved yet into the cool, sophisticated mistress of ceremonies that she would by 69 with the Hollywood palaces hostings and GIT.

I still can't believe that Gordy couldn't/can't liberate this from whomever is holding it hostage and release it as a blu ray DVD

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Are we sure that is Mary and Cindy behind the curtain?
    actually i believe the vast majority of Somewhere was done on a separate sound stage. My thoughts are that Somewhere, Afro Vogue, the hits medley in the pink/red/orange, Funny Girl, were all done on a different sound stage. there are no audience shots, there's no band or orchestra pit structure below them. My theory is that these parts were pre-recorded and the singers lip synced to the performances.

compare the opening shots of somewhere with the final. in both the stage is darkened but in the final, you can still see the audience and orchestra pit. in the opening, there's none of that. and sorry - musicians can't play in total pitch black darkness. even in theater pits, there are small lights on their stands which would still cast a glow

so perhaps there's a version of Somewhere that is live and they also taped the lip sync one and then spliced together

Unnecessary to have Mary and Cindy off stage. I agree with the suggestion that Diana just do the song as a solo. Never mind the fact that IMO "Somewhere" was in the act too long and they damn sure didn't need it on TCB, but Ross was perfectly capable of handling it alone. Mary and Cindy really add nothing special to it.

What did everyone think of Ross singing "Respect"? When I watched TCB for the first time and realized Diana Ross was getting ready to go there, I groaned. I just knew she was getting ready to embarrass herself. Not because I was convinced that she couldn't do any Aretha material. I love Ross' "Call Me" as much- maybe more- than I love the Queen's studio version. But "Respect"? Uh uh. But I had to give it to Diana, she sang that. The "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" part was the one problematic spot, but honestly I've yet to hear anyone other than Aretha nail that part of the song, I don't care how good they are on the rest of it. Diana didn't nail it, and Paul should've probably done it, but the rest of what she sang on the song was spot on. It's also one of my favorite parts of the show.

exactly - today Respect is so iconic and associated with Aretha that it's virtually impossible to really appreciate or listen to anyone else's version. even Paul's.

here's another idea to build off your suggestion Ran. What if the pink/orange/red medley was other motown songs? they could have done My Guy, Sugar Pie Honey Bunch, Uptight, Dancing in the street, it takes two, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Unnecessary to have Mary and Cindy off stage. I agree with the suggestion that Diana just do the song as a solo. Never mind the fact that IMO "Somewhere" was in the act too long and they damn sure didn't need it on TCB, but Ross was perfectly capable of handling it alone. Mary and Cindy really add nothing special to it.

What did everyone think of Ross singing "Respect"? When I watched TCB for the first time and realized Diana Ross was getting ready to go there, I groaned. I just knew she was getting ready to embarrass herself. Not because I was convinced that she couldn't do any Aretha material. I love Ross' "Call Me" as much- maybe more- than I love the Queen's studio version. But "Respect"? Uh uh. But I had to give it to Diana, she sang that. The "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" part was the one problematic spot, but honestly I've yet to hear anyone other than Aretha nail that part of the song, I don't care how good they are on the rest of it. Diana didn't nail it, and Paul should've probably done it, but the rest of what she sang on the song was spot on. It's also one of my favorite parts of the show.
    I liked RESPECT. It wasn't something I would have thought for her to do, but she pulled it off, much like she did FUNKY BROADWAY on GIT. She did sound rather "proper" during the R-E-S-P-E-C-T section but otherwise I thought she held her own. And it was obvious that she followed Aretha's version right down to the fade because then she just started repeating the lines again. I thought it was cute.
    Last edited by reese; 05-22-2019 at 02:03 PM.

Regarding “Somewhere”. Are we sure this isn’t Diana solo and not Diana and the Supremes? I asked earlier if we are even certain that is Mary and Cindy singing behind the curtains. The reason why I ask is because I seem to recall one of the Andantes saying they sang behind the curtains on a TV show or special. Could this be the special?

Regarding “Somewhere”. Are we sure this isn’t Diana solo and not Diana and the Supremes? I asked earlier if we are even certain that is Mary and Cindy singing behind the curtains. The reason why I ask is because I seem to recall one of the Andantes saying they sang behind the curtains on a TV show or special. Could this be the special?
    Without wishing to be discourteous to anyone this show always makes me squirm, Miss Ross is happy to share the leads with any one of the Temptations that sings lead. The rest of the Temptations are happy for any of their colleagues to sing a lead. It obviously didn't make her feel uncomfortable that despite the Temptations sharing leads she didn't.

Only those involved know for sure. But to my ears, it is Mary and Cindy. Their vocals are mixed low on the special and the album. But I used to love to pan my stereo to the right channel and listen to background vocals more clearly. I remember hearing Mary doing a long note after Diana's final reading of the title.

here's another idea to build off your suggestion Ran. What if the pink/orange/red medley was other motown songs? they could have done My Guy, Sugar Pie Honey Bunch, Uptight, Dancing in the street, it takes two, etc.
    Excellent idea! Maybe the Tempts doing "I Can't Help Myself" or "Reach Out I'll Be There", "How Sweet It Is" or "Aint That Peculiar", "Uptight" or "I Was Made to Love Her", and the Supremes doing "Dancing In the Street" or "I'm Ready for Love" or "Jimmy Mack", "You've Made Me So Very Happy", "Don't Mess With Bill" or "Hunter", and then both come together for "It Takes Two" or one of the Marvin/Tammi duets?

She did sound rather "proper" during the R-E-S-P-E-C-T section
    Yes, proper. That's the appropriate word here. Damn those Artist Development classes!

Only those involved know for sure. But to my ears, it is Mary and Cindy. Their vocals are mixed low on the special and the album. But I used to love to pan my stereo to the right channel and listen to background vocals more clearly. I remember hearing Mary doing a long note after Diana's final reading of the title.
    I did that too; especially on YKMHO on HDH

Diana did what Berry said and Berry downgraded the Supremes around this time

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I agree. I love this live version. I love watching the string section during this number and the Temptations take it home with that choreography.
    I agree with jobeterob and bradsupremes: This live version of "I'm Losing You" is my go-to segment of the show when I need something to make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. This performance, musically and visually, solidified that Dennis Edwards [[pretty new to the Temptations at this time) was definitely where he needed to be and definitely who the Temptations needed at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I’m certain that those hiccups are from nerves trying to grab breath to a poorly trained vocalist’s lungs. I’ve seen that before in my younger days as a very amateur singer/actor and how it was corrected. I doubt very much that anyone wanted them, however, they don’t bother me.

i think the song is more powerful presented as a solo Diana Ross number, and, as such, would naturally have bg vocals - who they belong to doesn’t matter to me. Have M and C standing behind her during Free At Last would have been a distraction at this most important moment of the show. Additionally, since I view Afro Vogue and Somewhere as one political statement, the addition of M and C would interfere with the message.

Background vocals were not needed on "Somewhere". It had to be a slap in the face [[added to previous slaps) to be needed for voice during such an important number but not for face. And the fact that this was done during an obvious tribute to Dr. King is really disgusting when you think about it. The show was clearly an opportunity to promote Ross as a solo artist first, DRATS as an act second, and the Tempts as an act third, but to think about anything other than the true message of the moment just shows how far Gordy and company had come to chase the money above all else.

I could've done without the performance anyway. So many more powerful songs to choose from. "The Impossible Dream" and "For Once In My Life" blew "Somewhere" out the water anyway. They really should've chosen something else and something everyone could've participated in.

IMO, it was a bit disrespectful to have Mary and Cindy offstage during SOMEWHERE. Diana could have carried the number alone. I don't think the background vocals were needed. Plus it probably didn't do much for offstage morale.
    I presume the goal was to present the finest TV special possible and that offstage morale was a secondary, if any, consideration. The special was a ratings and critical smash, the album went to #1 because folks loved it. Hopefully the mammoth success of the project would soothe any stepped on toes. I’m sure Mary felt shitty about it, I prolly would have as well, but the show’s the thing and this show was as big as anyone dared hope.

Although often labeled “ a vehicle to showcase Diana Ross” which it was and did, it also equally showcased The Tempts and superbly introduced their new lead singer with the impact of a sledgehammer - A LOT was riding on this show and it went perfectly. So, Ross is established as a solo, Dennis is established as a bonafide Tempt, Paul and Eddie were showcased while Mary, Cindy and Otis sucked hind tit. It advanced Motown’s agenda perfectly in all aspects - including, I presume, not paying either group for their appearances.

i think the temps more than held their own. but frankly they were there as DR window dressing too. they had a solid selection of songs to perform and they did so very well. but they had really no special material and IMO their solo spots were just bones given to the group to justify their being there

It curious that Motown didn't simply have the Supremes do a special just by themselves. maybe other motown artists [[like the Temps) could have dropped by for a song or two. But interesting they didn't do a Diana! like show just with the sups

I don’t see it that way at all. DR was not on any longer than The Tempts who were given quite a showcase for Dennis. They had plenty of costume changes, Paul’s magnificent solo, the many ensemble numbers and quite a long chunk of time for Ain’t Too Proud, Losing You, For Once and Hello Young Lovers. Their billing was equal, screen time similar or slightly more - on what do you base your opinion that The Tempts were just window dressing and their solos just bones? They were great songs every one of them.
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 05-23-2019 at 05:11 PM.

^oh i'm not criticizing their performances. they did a great job. I just feel that the overall special was a DR project and the Temps were there just to fill in. Diana kicked the show off, the girls were introduced way ahead of the temps, Diana sang with the temps [[The Way You Do), she had Eleanor Rigby as a solo plus her leads in the hits medley, Afro Vogue dance segment, Somewhere.

the tempts were featured about 2/3 of the way through the show with their own stage time.

to me it was the DR ross with Guest stars: The Temptations, the other 2 sups

of course the tempts got their own show not too long after this

I think did it the best they could figure at the time

It really perked the Temptations and sent them into their most profitable and golden time

And it showcased Ross and sent her into another orbit

Yes Wilson Birdsong and Williams didn’t get a lot of attention - but they never did and were you going to use time on a national special for Mary to sing Can’t Take My Eyes Off You? No. The fans would like it but the public would not. They would prefer to see her in the blonde wig and gold dress

If only Mary had been able to hold the Supremes together like Otis held the Temptations

In this case I think having the Supremes off stage [[whether they were offstage singing live or the vocals were pre-recorded and the girls were waaayyy offstage...like back at the hotel) singing while Ross is on camera and singing is a lot more suck worthy than Mary not being allowed to sing lead on the special. Not that anyone is even arguing that Mary should have had a spot, but the public wouldn't have "not liked" Mary singing "Eyes". There was no danger of America suddenly turning the television station because Mary got a lead.

Also one reason why Otis could maintain the tempts is because he had Melvin by his side for over 30 years. If Flo had stayed or if Cindy didn’t leave the first time, things would have been different for Mary

Additionally, since I view Afro Vogue and Somewhere as one political statement, the addition of M and C would interfere with the message.
    I didn't realize the addition of two women singing a song they performed every night in the live show since 1966 would cause that much disruption. There was no political undertones in any of this. It was all a spotlight on Diana Ross and Gordy's push to separate her from the group. That's what the Afro Vogue segment and Somewhere were meant to do.

Really? The public wouldn't like it and would prefer to see Mary in blonde wig and gold gown? Please.

About 9 years ago, I saw Dennis Edwards do an interview about his career and he discussed TCB. According to him, the special had been in the works long before he came into the group and they had planned a lot when David was still in the group. When Dennis stepped in and it came time to do tape the special, Gordy was a little unsure Dennis could do the show and pulled him aside and said "If you can't do this, we'll do it without you." Dennis said he was rather taken aback and felt he had to prove he was capable not only to do the show, but to be in the group. It makes me wonder if Gordy had doubts about Dennis. Dennis said he was very concerned about getting it right, hitting his mark, the right steps, etc. He went on to say that they prerecorded all the music with the band without the audience before taping. The live segments of course were live vocals, but everything else was prerecorded. He also explained how he and the other Tempts felt this was the "Diana Ross Show." His words were "We all knew this show was about her. It was her coming out party because she was dating the boss." Overall he said it was good experience doing the show.

^oh i'm not criticizing their performances. they did a great job. I just feel that the overall special was a DR project and the Temps were there just to fill in. Diana kicked the show off, the girls were introduced way ahead of the temps, Diana sang with the temps [[The Way You Do), she had Eleanor Rigby as a solo plus her leads in the hits medley, Afro Vogue dance segment, Somewhere.

the tempts were featured about 2/3 of the way through the show with their own stage time.

to me it was the DR ross with Guest stars: The Temptations, the other 2 sups
    If you add up the minutes, I think you’ll find parity between Ross and The Tempts.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I think did it the best they could figure at the time

It really perked the Temptations and sent them into their most profitable and golden time

And it showcased Ross and sent her into another orbit

Yes Wilson Birdsong and Williams didn’t get a lot of attention - but they never did and were you going to use time on a national special for Mary to sing Can’t Take My Eyes Off You? No. The fans would like it but the public would not. They would prefer to see her in the blonde wig and gold dress

If only Mary had been able to hold the Supremes together like Otis held the Temptations
    Mary couldn’t because her agenda was different. Otis maintained the group first and never let his ego and quest for stardom interfere with group politics. Mary wanted to sing lead and follow in Ross’ footsteps as a solo star - to the detriment of the group, many think. Most folks I know do not consider Mary Star material and I agree she did not have the goods to be a pop or rock or soul star - clearly she became quite a chanteuse but that’s not what The Supremes needed. They needed a star like ross, or Tammi Terrell someone with voice, looks, charisma, style, talent and audacity. There are very few - they don’t grow on trees. Mary wasn’t one for sure. No way would she capture the pop crowd, even though a few dozen folks on this site think otherwise.

I have to disagree with your assessment mostly if Mary really was trying to follow in Diana’s footsteps in being lead and eventually a solo career than she would have demanded that she was to be made lead as soon as she knew Diana was leaving and not 3 years later when she had to reform the group. Diana had it all but more importantly she had someone backing her up to make sure that she achieved something Mary didn’t have.

Mary couldn’t because her agenda was different. Otis maintained the group first and never let his ego and quest for stardom interfere with group politics. Mary wanted to sing lead and follow in Ross’ footsteps as a solo star - to the detriment of the group, many think. Most folks I know do not consider Mary Star material and I agree she did not have the goods to be a pop or rock or soul star - clearly she became quite a chanteuse but that’s not what The Supremes needed. They needed a star like ross, or Tammi Terrell someone with voice, looks, charisma, style, talent and audacity. There are very few - they don’t grow on trees. Mary wasn’t one for sure. No way would she capture the pop crowd, even though a few dozen folks on this site think otherwise.
    I couldn't have put it better myself. Otis put the Temptations before himself. Mary put herself before the Supremes. Otis knew he was never going to be good enough to be the lead singer, but he was the leader. Mary seemingly thought she was good enough to be lead singer, and that was her big mistake. Had she put the group before her own quest for stardom the Supremes could have rivaled the Temps and still been been entertaining us today.

ok - rather than getting into the mud slinging of who did or didn't do what, let's stick to the initial topic.

Loved Ran's idea of doing an expanded version of the "you sing our hits, we'll sing yours" like on Sullivan.

Another idea that MIGHT have worked would be having DRATS host a Motown Revue and various acts come on and interact with Diana and sometimes DRATS. sort of like the Smokey special a couple years later

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Really? The public wouldn't like it and would prefer to see Mary in blonde wig and gold gown? Please.

About 9 years ago, I saw Dennis Edwards do an interview about his career and he discussed TCB. According to him, the special had been in the works long before he came into the group and they had planned a lot when David was still in the group. When Dennis stepped in and it came time to do tape the special, Gordy was a little unsure Dennis could do the show and pulled him aside and said "If you can't do this, we'll do it without you." Dennis said he was rather taken aback and felt he had to prove he was capable not only to do the show, but to be in the group. It makes me wonder if Gordy had doubts about Dennis. Dennis said he was very concerned about getting it right, hitting his mark, the right steps, etc. He went on to say that they prerecorded all the music with the band without the audience before taping. The live segments of course were live vocals, but everything else was prerecorded. He also explained how he and the other Tempts felt this was the "Diana Ross Show." His words were "We all knew this show was about her. It was her coming out party because she was dating the boss." Overall he said it was good experience doing the show.
    very interesting! i'd read that there were a few shows that they did early on where Dennis only performed for part of the show. that seems weird to me. Wonder if there were other strong contenders they considered for David's replacement.

Also if there was concern with the Temps not being on solid footing due to the personnel change, i wonder if during the planning they ever considered just having the Sups on and maybe invite other guest stars