[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson - Don't Get Mad Get Even

What is the Forum's opinions on this track?

It was played quite a bit on late evening radio where I was living at the time [[Sheffield, UK). I thought it had the potential to be a successful single, but I didn't register in the charts here.

I listened just now and it sounds a bit clattery and sharp, but so did a lot of stuff coming out at the time.

I haven't listened to it for years, but it has stuck in my mind so must have been quite catchy. It sounds like a good track now, but difficult to evaluate in the context of the time and how it would have been viewed then.

Chris

Yes I agree it sounded “clattery and sharp” and catchy. But not one of my faves of Mary. Disco low rent IMO.

I heard it at the time it was first released and I immediately thought......NO! It was the spring/summer of 1987 and this song sounded too much like retro disco from 10 years earlier. It was an Ian Levine production. I saw Mary debut "Don't Get Mad, Get Even" on "The Late Show" with Arsenio Hall guest hosting. She look spectacular as usual and did a strong live version of the song. Still it was not one of my favorites from her.

I bought the 12 single in NYC in the 90s.

I don't like it at all. It was Mary's thinly veiled slap in the face to Diana Ross. She's still waiting to get even...

I remember ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT did a brief mention of Diana's DIRTY LOOKS along with Mary's DON'T GET MAD, GET EVEN. I wasn't crazy about the title and thought "Oh no!"

I looked for the single but could never find it. I actually didn't find it until 1990 when a fan hipped me to a store that had a bunch of Nightmare / Motorcity Records imports. I paid a pretty penny for it. When I played it, I actually thought it was a nice recording and wished it had gotten a US release.

I always found the track somewhat jarring. The whole track is synthesized, yet there is a trumpet solo during the break.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveSupreme View Post
    I don't like it at all. It was Mary's thinly veiled slap in the face to Diana Ross. She's still waiting to get even...
    She was singing about a man and giving her advice to other women. What are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She was singing about a man and giving her advice to other women. What are you talking about?
    It’s called subtext.

Quote Originally Posted by ejluther View Post
    It’s called subtext.
    Mary Wilson didn't write that song.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I always found the track somewhat jarring. The whole track is synthesized, yet there is a trumpet solo during the break.
    To be fair to Mary it was an okay kind of song. A better production could have made it into a half decent song. She did far worse than this.

The epitome of 'random'. Always thought it an unfortunate title, giving her rep as a malcontent. In the end at least she succeeded in getting mad if nothing else.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 03-04-2019 at 07:24 AM.

Thanks for your replies.

As I said, I liked it at the time and it did get some exposure here in the UK, at least on regional radio, but was not destined to be a hit. Perhaps if the production had been better, maybe it could have been. There was so much of that clattery stuff put out at that time e.g, Evelyn Thomas, Hazel Dean, that it may have been a crowded market!

I was excited to see a release from Mary, and I would have to say that I enjoyed it. It was a little noisy, but a lot of high-energy discs were noisy at that time. I remember buying so many releases on Record Shack, Nightmare, and Motorcity within a short period of time [[and not only those labels). I just chalked it up to the creation of a sound.

The line, "Don't get mad, get even," was very popular around this time. It was even parodied by Ivana Trump in First Wives Club when she said, "Don't get mad, get everything!"

I found a copy of the 12" single at a record store on Bleeker Street in NYC. When I saw Mary at Fat Tuesday's in NYC she was surprised that I had a copy and signed it for me.

Ian Levine wrote the lyrics and produced it. His production was always awful, sort of sub Stock/Aitken/Waterman. I bought the 12" back in the day and it was big on the gay circuit. It would have been much better with a proper production and not the ersatz rubbish of Levine!

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Ian Levine wrote the lyrics and produced it. His production was always awful, sort of sub Stock/Aitken/Waterman. I bought the 12" back in the day and it was big on the gay circuit. It would have been much better with a proper production and not the ersatz rubbish of Levine!

The words by Ian Levine under the video are real unflattering. Its not a bad song but you can tell its real cheaply recorded and mixed.

Mary Wilson / Don't Get Mad, Get Even

by Mary Wilson

Amazon

Vinyl

More Buying Choices
    $66.00 [[1 used offer

I bought the 12 single in NYC in the 90s.
    Me too...DecaDance on Christopher St. I wandered in there one day and they had Crazy 'Bout The Guy on the wall....the guy explained it was a relatively new release and told me about Motorcity/Nightmare....I used to go there every few weeks...loved those Canadian Unidiscs with 2-3 different artists 12" versions on each 12" single.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    The line, "Don't get mad, get even," was very popular around this time. It was even parodied by Ivana Trump in First Wives Club when she said, "Don't get mad, get everything!"

I found a copy of the 12" single at a record store on Bleeker Street in NYC. When I saw Mary at Fat Tuesday's in NYC she was surprised that I had a copy and signed it for me.
    I went to Fat Tuesday's 2 nights..stayed for 2 shows 2nd night...first night, front table right in front of Mary...Gawd, that performance pace was so narrow it was more like a aisle than a stage...the musicians were situated "in line"....great shows, though. Mary wore this loose curl reddish afro wig...she didn't Don't Get Mad...but she killed us with RED HOT both nights....that was always one of my fav live songs.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    Me too...DecaDance on Christopher St. I wandered in there one day and they had Crazy 'Bout The Guy on the wall....the guy explained it was a relatively new release and told me about Motorcity/Nightmare....I used to go there every few weeks...loved those Canadian Unidiscs with 2-3 different artists 12" versions on each 12" single.
    Gman, do you remember the old Tower Records down on 4th and Broadway in the Village?

I went to Fat Tuesday's 2 nights..stayed for 2 shows 2nd night...first night, front table right in front of Mary...Gawd, that performance pace was so narrow it was more like a aisle than a stage...the musicians were situated "in line"....great shows, though.
    Gman, the nice thing about Fat Tuesday was that there were many seats that were right up close and personal. We were also at a front table with Mary pretty much in front of us. She seemed to be having a blast at our show. Afterwards, our waiter directed us to a small dressing room off to the side where we were able to spend about 10 minutes with Mary. I wish we could have stayed for the second show.

Gman, the nice thing about Fat Tuesday was that there were many seats that were right up close and personal. We were also at a front table with Mary pretty much in front of us. She seemed to be having a blast at our show. Afterwards, our waiter directed us to a small dressing room off to the side where we were able to spend about 10 minutes with Mary. I wish we could have stayed for the second show.
    I remember Fat Tuesdays. I liked The Blue Note and Cafe Wa better. I saw Mary at Michael's Pub were we were given the front table nearest the stage. You were alllowed to smoke back then and I remember Mary looking down at us like "put it out!" LOL!

Does anyone know what the deal is with The YouTube video description for that live performance. It was written by Ian Levine. He goes into detail his working with Mary. Any truth to this story?

Gman, do you remember the old Tower Records down on 4th and Broadway in the Village?
    Sure do...3 floors of records....I spent a LOT of time there...and they had every in print 45 too...I spent a fortune there. they had excellent stock and great prices.

I was there 2 nights as well....and got the front table right in front of Mary on Halloween night....

Sure do...3 floors of records....I spent a LOT of time there...and they had every in print 45 too...I spent a fortune there. they had excellent stock and great prices.
    I could spend half a Saturday afternoon browsing there. I remember in the 80s when the Blue Note label was reactivated, I nearly went broke buying as much as I could there. T hey had everything current and not so current there! I miss that store.

I was there 2 nights as well....and got the front table right in front of Mary on Halloween night....
    Then you were sitting right next to us! We were there Halloween night too. Later we went upstairs with Mary and her band to talk, do pictures etc.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Does anyone know what the deal is with The YouTube video description for that live performance. It was written by Ian Levine. He goes into detail his working with Mary. Any truth to this story?
    There are many comments and stories from him on his Motorcity and other videos. He has stories about Martha, Wanda, Mary Wells, Velvellettes, Andantes, etc....Supposedly, he paid Mary Wilson her advance to record a full LP....she recorded 2 tracks....Don't Get Mad and Ooh Child, which surfaced on the Walk The Line CD. perhaps he licensed it to recoup his investment. His story is MW had a new tough manager...most likely affiliated with the pending WTL CD, and an agreement could not be reached for her to complete the Motorcity LP....he did record enough tracks with Lynda Lawrence for a solo LP..10 of them [[and there are a few more) are on the Supreme Ladies comp CD.

Ian
    Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Ian Levine has nothing nice to say about Mary Wilson. He has been very critical of her attitude and of how she kind of took the money and ran without fulfilling her part of the deal. He said she was the most difficult of the former Motown stars. I am sure Marv will find some way of turning the tables and blaming Ian rather than "Saint" Mary Wilson for the fallout. I shall grab my popcorn...............

There are many comments and stories from him on his Motorcity and other videos. He has stories about Martha, Wanda, Mary Wells, Velvellettes, Andantes, etc....Supposedly, he paid Mary Wilson her advance to record a full LP....she recorded 2 tracks....Don't Get Mad and Ooh Child, which surfaced on the Walk The Line CD. perhaps he licensed it to recoup his investment. His story is MW had a new tough manager...most likely affiliated with the pending WTL CD, and an agreement could not be reached for her to complete the Motorcity LP....he did record enough tracks with Lynda Lawrence for a solo LP..10 of them [[and there are a few more) are on the Supreme Ladies comp CD.
    I haven't listened to it in a while, but I think the OOH CHILD on Mary's WALK THE LINE cd was not the Motorcity recording.

Mary's voice is always so monotone and flat regardless of what she is singing. In other words, not a musical voice even though she is sometimes hitting musical notes. It has none of the nuances, depth, and expression that great singers are required to possess. Great singers can make bad songs sound good.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    ........Great singers can make bad songs sound good.
    You caught my imagination with this one Circa. Can you give an example of this?
    Or can anyone else? Kind of an interesting concept.

Marv, that is the Tower Records where I found the cassette single of Mary's One Night With You. I was in that store all the time.

Marv, that is the Tower Records where I found the cassette single of Mary's One Night With You. I was in that store all the time.
    Oh great. I found mine at the store on Newberry Street in Boston.