[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wells book?

Defunct? I think the author said it would be done last summer!

I had forgotten about that. Do you remember who the author is, Luke? Wasn't it someone who periodically comes to the forum?

Was it Peter Benjaminson?

Mary Wells Book

You hit the jackpot. The author is me, Peter Benjaminson, and the book will be released this November.

Quote Originally Posted by pbenjamson@aol.com View Post
    You hit the jackpot. The author is me, Peter Benjaminson, and the book will be released this November.
    Peter, may I ask. Were you able to interview the children? Were they involved in any way?

Marv

Mary Wells Book

I've been in contact with several of them but for more details, please allow me to refer you to the book itself.

I can`t wait as I really enjoyed your " The Story Of Motown" . I hope that the complete Mary Wells is in the pipeline.

Thanks for the kind words about "The Story of Motown." If I do say so myself, I thought "The Lost Supreme: The Life of Dreamgirl Florence Ballard," was twice as good, and I unashamedly guarantee you that "Mary Wells: The Turbulent Life of Motown's First Superstar" will be 28 times as good. Of course I'm biased, but I hope you enjoy it.

To answer your question, the Mary Wells book will definitely be out in November.

I've been in contact with several of them but for more details, please allow me to refer you to the book itself.
    That's great and thank you for responding. Oh I am definitely getting the book. Mary was a family favorite of ours, so we already are awaiting your book.

Thanks for the kind words about "The Story of Motown." If I do say so myself, I thought "The Lost Supreme: The Life of Dreamgirl Florence Ballard," was twice as good, and I unashamedly guarantee you that "Mary Wells: The Turbulent Life of Motown's First Superstar" will be 28 times as good. Of course I'm biased, but I hope you enjoy it.
    The "Story of Motown" was the first book I bought of yours too. Years and years ago.

Thanks Peter--loved Flo book and your interviews on Unsung!

Mary Wells Book

Thanks, guys, you made my day.

Peter,

The Story of Motown, I believe was my first Motown book, and look what you started, I went downstairs to check my bookcases and have 32.

Well I may have more than that!! Will go count. Peter--how can we get your Motown book?

Hey peter,book sounds good so let me ask you,are you planning any more books about our singing legengs[living or dead]after this one?

Mary Wells Book

Thanks for your support, guys. In response, let me say that 1) My first book on Motown, "The Story of Motown," was the first book on the Motown Record Company ever published in the United States. David Morse's book "Motown," published in the U.K., was the first book on Motown ever published. Since then at least 128 books have been published on the same subject and they keep on coming on. 2) "The Story of Motown" is available on Amazon.com, as is "The Lost Supreme: The Life of Dreamgirl Florence Ballard." And thank you very much for asking what my next book will be. I'd LOVE to write another book about Motown but am trying to find a Motown person who a) who has not yet been seriously written about and b) whom a large group of readers would be interested in. Any suggestions?

The Velvelettes

honest man Guest
    Jimmy Ruffin.-Dennis Edwards.

Thanks for your support, guys. In response, let me say that 1) My first book on Motown, "The Story of Motown," was the first book on the Motown Record Company ever published in the United States. David Morse's book "Motown," published in the U.K., was the first book on Motown ever published. Since then at least 128 books have been published on the same subject and they keep on coming on. 2) "The Story of Motown" is available on Amazon.com, as is "The Lost Supreme: The Life of Dreamgirl Florence Ballard." And thank you very much for asking what my next book will be. I'd LOVE to write another book about Motown but am trying to find a Motown person who a) who has not yet been seriously written about and b) whom a large group of readers would be interested in. Any suggestions?
    Yes! The Four Tops! You'll have four very interesting individuals to research and write about there.

She wasn't known as a Motown hitmaker, but she did record for Motown and was a well-known singer and actress,
    Barbara McNair.

How about Esther Gordy Edwards?

Kim Weston?

Oh Kim has written her biography, although it remains unpublished. I've had the privilege of reading chapter 1 and it's sensational stuff.

what about H-D-H?

Quote Originally Posted by irv milne View Post
    what about H-D-H?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Love-Factory...0730041&sr=1-2

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    How about Esther Gordy Edwards?
    Esther Edwards had been writing a book for several years. One time when I visited the museum [[possibly with Woodward who posts here), she talked of the book and that she was dealing with the time when Esther and Mr Gordy went to visit Stevie's mum to ask for her signature on the contract. She had found some pictures of that day and was keen to share them. I wonder if she ever managed to complete the book.

I`d like to read about the musicians and recording anecdotes so what about William "Mickey" Stevenson or Ivy Jo Hunter.

Cindy Birdsong should have an interesting story with Patti, Diana, and her two stints with the 70's Supremes

Here's one that i think the fans would like,smokey wrote his book some years back which was very good of course,but he didn't say a whole lot about the miracles,how about a book on the miracles nothing scandelous just stories about thier life on the road and in the studio,we still have-claudette-bobby-pete-billy,so maybe it could be fun.

arr&bee
    I dont know why the Miracles have been ignored for so long. Im like you I dont care about the drama I want to hear about their travels and see pics of them in the studio. I have wondered is Smokey oblivious to this and thinks that maybe the fans dont care? I know he is friendly with all of the Miracles and he and Claudette are pretty civil so I dont know what the hold up has been it cant be Berry! His name is not attached to them the way it was with the Supremes.

I remember a few years ago Claudette said she was going to write a book but I have not heard anything since.

Hmm, I'm guessing for a book to be released so late, you have to make sure the book editing goes alright but thanks for the update. I was wondering too.

Yes help Cindy get her book out. She was supposed to be writing one. She will have an objective perspective I think, while still being an insider. She did hit rock bottom for a while.

Peter is your Mary Wells book going to be available on B&N [[Barnes & Noble) Nook e-reader,

Another vote for Cindy Birdsong...

How about a book about all of Martha's Vandellas? From Roz and Nettie to the new Vandellas she premiered on "Jimmy Kimmel Live".

Cindy! Shes been writng her book for years but seems to need help. Her story from Bluebelle to Supreme to being broke to the dueling divas to working at Motown to becoming a minister would be fascinating. And Id love to see a book on the Four Tops.

There is an old saying that goes, "write about what you KNOW" and Peter Benjamson knows Motown very well. I too anxiously await his book on Mary Wells. I was happily surprised to find this Taiwanese copy of her Together duet album with Marvin Gaye. Mary was loved the world over and this long awaited biography is greatly anticipated!Name:  Marvin & Mary Together.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  46.1 KB

The Monitors, only because I wanna know a bit more about Richard [[since his site has'nt been updated since 2005 said that he was working on a book)...

Can I add my vote for Miss Birdsong. There is a story to be told there.

Im excited about Peters book because nobody has written a book about Mary at all and the UNSUNG was the first step. My only regret is that his book was not ready by the time the program aired but that is ok because there is still a lot of interest in this woman.

the cover of the book has already been posted on amazon.com for a nov. 2012 release date.

The cover is beautiful!!! Looking forward to the inside.

I hope this book will get a UK release too, and Hip O give us a Complete Mary Wells comp, as they did with Tammi. There was talk of a 2 CD Set on Ms Wells not too long ago.

Mary Wells' biography can now be pre-ordered at Barnes & Noble's and Amazon's websites!

Another vote for Cindy Birdsong.

honest man Guest
    Looked on Amazon bit dear will wait a while,ended up buying a Sam Cooke ,and Phil Spector books,thanks.