"Shine" from Diana Ross' RHR& Blues

"Shine" still holds up well today.
    It has a very catchy grove.

A favorite of mine.

Great track.thought it was going to be a single

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    Great track.thought it was going to be a single
    So did Mick Hucknell!

Back in 1987, I was hoping "Shine" would be released as a single. Not only is it a great track IMHO, but also because the collaboration with Simply Red [[and the whole story that Hucknell wrote the song especially for Ross) would surely have helped to get the single noticed. And then ideally followed by "It's Hard For Me To Say," which definitely would have gotten some airplay. Instead we got "Shockwaves" -- which is a fun Motown pastiche, but not much more than that.

I had heard that there were David Morales remix’s done back then. Definitely should have been a single. This, Hard for Me to Say and Summertime should have been the singles from the album

Quote Originally Posted by Deepdishus2001 View Post
    I had heard that there were David Morales remix’s done back then. Definitely should have been a single. This, Hard for Me to Say and Summertime should have been the singles from the album
    Oh yes, Summertime too!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Oh yes, Summertime too!
    Summertime is one of her best RCA efforts..alot of fans have huge affection for it..interesting to hear her cover a Cohen track..Shine dosent do much for me I find the chorus refrain too jarring..sometimes that high pitch she does is a bit off..

Quote Originally Posted by Deepdishus2001 View Post
    I never knew of the existence of any David Morale's mixes. I would love to hear of them. Such a pity they couldn't have been included on the expanded edition a few years ago. So many lost opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    Summertime is one of her best RCA efforts..alot of fans have huge affection for it..interesting to hear her cover a Cohen track..Shine dosent do much for me I find the chorus refrain too jarring..sometimes that high pitch she does is a bit off..
    I would like to find out more about the song's history, which is as much a Sharon Robinson song as a Leonard Cohen song, though obviously she is not as well known as he is. Summertime was the first collaboration between Robinson and Cohen, yet he never recorded it himself -- as far as I know the first recording is by Ross [[which, technically, wouldn't make it a cover), and was later recorded by Roberta Flack in 1991, and by Robinson herself in 2008, which technically would be a "cover" but kind of strange to call the song a cover when it was written by herself. It's a beautiful song though, in all versions!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I never knew of the existence of any David Morale's mixes. I would love to hear of them. Such a pity they couldn't have been included on the expanded edition a few years ago. So many lost opportunities.
    Bluebrock I was thinking of you today and your kind words of support last week..I cant wait for your book ...
    Last edited by nomis; 06-23-2021 at 03:22 AM.

Oh yes, Summertime too!
    Best track on the album

I remember reading it in one of the U.S. dance magazines at the time, it was either Dance Music Authority or Dance Music Report. I have never heard them or saw any bootlegs at any of the tons of indy record stores that used to exist way back when.

I will say it again, they may not be of the quality of the first or second Motown stints, but the RCA years, in my opinion, are nowhere near as dire as some make them out to be. Was just listening to Ross 83 and RHR&B yesterday and again find them to be very solid, above average albums. Change the lyrics of Girls and Ross 83 is very very good. Remove the covers from RHR&B and add a few more contemporary tracks and it also would be pretty good. As for Silk Electric, I don’t find the vocals weak, it’s the reverb and echo that need to be eliminated. Still in Love, Love Lies and In Your Arms are great ballads.
    Last edited by Deepdishus2001; 06-23-2021 at 06:24 AM.

I would like to find out more about the song's history, which is as much a Sharon Robinson song as a Leonard Cohen song, though obviously she is not as well known as he is. Summertime was the first collaboration between Robinson and Cohen, yet he never recorded it himself -- as far as I know the first recording is by Ross [[which, technically, wouldn't make it a cover), and was later recorded by Roberta Flack in 1991, and by Robinson herself in 2008, which technically would be a "cover" but kind of strange to call the song a cover when it was written by herself. It's a beautiful song though, in all versions!
    Pretty sure it was written for Ross. I remember reading that in a Billboard tribute to Cohen a long time ago. It was before he passed. If I’m not mistaken, Sharon Robinson was Cohen’s musical partner for a long time. Just did some research and all the sources said it was originally recorded by Ross. Robinson also wrote New Attitude for Patti.
    Last edited by Deepdishus2001; 06-23-2021 at 06:49 AM.

Bluebrock I was thinking of you today and your kind words of support last week..I cant wait for your book ...
    My pleasure Nomis. Trust you are holding up as well as can be reasonably expected. Stay strong my friend.

Enjoying this thread. I loved Summertime on first listen and to think it was actually written for Ross and is, in fact, not a cover is a very satisfying surprise! Diana Ross totally owns this beautiful song, in every way.

Shine doesn't do much for me I find the chorus refrain too jarring..sometimes that high pitch she does is a bit off.
    This was my reaction to Shine on first listen. Now I find I like and appreciate the song and the recording. I love the Mick Hucknall/Simply Red connection almost as much as the Summertime Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson connection.

the RCA years, in my opinion, are nowhere near as dire as some make them out to be.
    I've finally come to terms with the RCA Years, when Ross became a more mainstream global Pop star. RHRB and Ross 83 remain my favorite of her RCA albums. I still only listen to In Your Arms, Still In Love and Who on SE but I think I can now discern and appreciate where she wanted to go at the time.

I think Shine was one of the stronger/more commercial songs on RHR&B. i think it could have done ok on the charts. potentially at least in the top 40. maybe top 30. not a hit really but at least not completely ignored like EA, Chained Reaction and others

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Enjoying this thread. I loved Summertime on first listen and to think it was actually written for Ross and is, in fact, not a cover is a very satisfying surprise! Diana Ross totally owns this beautiful song, in every way.

This was my reaction to Shine on first listen. Now I find I like and appreciate the song and the recording. I love the Mick Hucknall/Simply Red connection almost as much as the Summertime Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson connection.

I've finally come to terms with the RCA Years, when Ross became a more mainstream global Pop star. RHRB and Ross 83 remain my favorite of her RCA albums. I still only listen to In Your Arms, Still In Love and Who on SE but I think I can now discern and appreciate where she wanted to go at the time.
    Swept Away is and remains my favorite of the RCA years. Still love Muscles and Anywhere You Run To is a particular favorite from SE. Love the horns and the key change up towards the end.

Completely agree about Summertime. I always think about Berry Gordy's advice that the record needs to sound good on the car radio. But, music is more than that. I typically like a more "rock style", but Summertime is simply perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Completely agree about Summertime. I always think about Berry Gordy's advice that the record needs to sound good on the car radio. But, music is more than that. I typically like a more "rock style", but Summertime is simply perfection.
    It's just beautiful. When i first heard the album it was this utterly gorgeous tune that sent shivers up and down the spine alongside It's hard for me to say and Cross my heart. She sounded as good as she did when produced by Nick and Val and Michael Masser, and that is an statement you could not level at much of her 80's stuff.

It's just beautiful. When i first heard the album it was this utterly gorgeous tune that sent shivers up and down the spine.
    I don't think Diana has ever looked as beautiful as when singing this song on the RHR&B special.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I don't think Diana has ever looked as beautiful as when singing this song on the RHR&B special.
    You are probably right.
    I recall introducing my parents to her in the early 90's and my dear mother said Ms Ross was much more beautiful in the flesh than she appeared to be on tv. My mother who possessed all the tact of a bull elephant told her "i always thought you were much too scraggy and looked like you needed a good meal down you but you are actually a beautiful girl"
    I am not sure they were the very exact words she used but it went more or less like that. At that moment i just wished the ground would swallow me up, but to my amazement Ms Ross burst out laughing and said her own mom had said something similar to her regarding eating a good meal. They hit it off straight away and Ms Ross always asked after my mother thereafter. It was one of those moments that could have spelled major disaster, but actually ended up being a great day.
    Sorry for veering off topic again Ollie, but your remark just reminded me of what my mother said all those years ago.

Blue - i love hearing these fun stories of your experiences with Diana Ross. your stories sound similar to some that Randy shared in his book and how Diana has an almost photographic memory when it comes to the issues, families, etc of her immediate staff and colleagues. AND that she is often very caring and understanding about things occurring in their lives. a kind of her that is unfortunately often overlooked by the general public and press

I just listened to the song… not a massive fan. I even like Simply Red and Mick Hucknall, but this doesn’t even really sound like one of their songs. To me, it sounds like a rather average pop rock song.

I just listened to the Simply Red version, which is better. I do like the baseline on both versions, kinda reminds me of Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

You are probably right.
    I recall introducing my parents to her in the early 90's and my dear mother said Ms Ross was much more beautiful in the flesh than she appeared to be on tv. My mother who possessed all the tact of a bull elephant told her "i always thought you were much too scraggy and looked like you needed a good meal down you but you are actually a beautiful girl"
    I am not sure they were the very exact words she used but it went more or less like that. At that moment i just wished the ground would swallow me up, but to my amazement Ms Ross burst out laughing and said her own mom had said something similar to her regarding eating a good meal. They hit it off straight away and Ms Ross always asked after my mother thereafter. It was one of those moments that could have spelled major disaster, but actually ended up being a great day.
    Sorry for veering off topic again Ollie, but your remark just reminded me of what my mother said all those years ago.
    How many of us get to begin a story with "That reminds me of the time I introduced my mother to Diana Ross" ? Wonderful indeed. And I concur, not about the eating part but about the beautiful part. I encountered Diana twice up close and was stunned both times by just how beautiful she was at close range. Not surprised, really, but pleasantly stunned. [[BTW, same with Carly Simon)

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Blue - i love hearing these fun stories of your experiences with Diana Ross. your stories sound similar to some that Randy shared in his book and how Diana has an almost photographic memory when it comes to the issues, families, etc of her immediate staff and colleagues. AND that she is often very caring and understanding about things occurring in their lives. a kind of her that is unfortunately often overlooked by the general public and press
    Thank you very much Sup. I do have an even funnier story regarding my mother saying something to Diana that even i would not have dreamed of saying, but i would prefer to run it through the official channels before going public. I do not wish to obliterate 30+ years of friendship for one inappropriate memory. Leave it with me.
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 06-24-2021 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Thank you very much Sup. I do have an even funnier story regarding my mother saying something to Diana that even i would not have dreamed of saying, but i would prefer to run it through the official channels before going public. I do not wish to obliterate 30+ years of friendship for one inappropriate memory. Leave it with me.

Not sure why my post has been duplicated?

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    How many of us get to begin a story with "That reminds me of the time I introduced my mother to Diana Ross" ? Wonderful indeed. And I concur, not about the eating part but about the beautiful part. I encountered Diana twice up close and was stunned both times by just how beautiful she was at close range. Not surprised, really, but pleasantly stunned. [[BTW, same with Carly Simon)
    I know how fortunate i am/was.
    It was a wonderful honour and a great privilege to work closely with this very special and deeply misunderstood lady. I don't mind admitting i was bowled over by her beauty. It is usually the other way around, but in her instance the camera does not do her justice.
    I cannot comment on Carly Simon. I love the lady but i have never had the honour of meeting her.

I don't mind admitting i was bowled over by her beauty. It is usually the other way around, but in her instance the camera does not do her justice.
    It’s baffling how they made her look so unattractive in The Wiz. The lighting, especially on those early solo numbers is appalling.

It’s baffling how they made her look so unattractive in The Wiz. The lighting, especially on those early solo numbers is appalling.
    I cannot recall much about the Wiz. I have never managed to sit throught the whole film despite numerous attempts. I will not try to do so ever again. Life is too short.
    I cannot recall if she looked unattractive, but i am happy to take your word for it.

I thought she looked great in The Wiz. I have a thing for afros, so maybe I am a bit biased.

I cannot recall much about the Wiz. I have never managed to sit throught the whole film despite numerous attempts. I will not try to do so ever again. Life is too short.
    I cannot recall if she looked unattractive, but i am happy to take your word for it.
    Didn't Berry give in and let Diana have the role? I have also tried to watch the film, even on a hostile long winded phone call with the IRS lol! Did the project break even?

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Didn't Berry give in and let Diana have the role? I have also tried to watch the film, even on a hostile long winded phone call with the IRS lol! Did the project break even?
    I assume the film lost money but i have never been sufficiently interested enough to look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    Simply gorgeous. A timeless performance of a song that will never age. It should have opened up side 2 of the album and been released as a single throughout Europe.
    Wrong single choices let the album down badly.

Simply gorgeous. A timeless performance of a song that will never age. It should have opened up side 2 of the album and been released as a single throughout Europe.
    Wrong single choices let the album down badly.
    So many great songs on that album, along with a handful of not so great songs.

So many great songs on that album, along with a handful of not so great songs.
    “Shine” “Cross My Heart” “Hard For Me To Say” And “Summertime” are for me the four standout tracks from the album.
    Out of curiosity, what would you ​class as the the not so great songs?.

“Shine” “Cross My Heart” “Hard For Me To Say” And “Summertime” are for me the four standout tracks from the album.
    Out of curiosity, what would you ​class as the the not so great songs?.
    I would say Tell Mama, Shockwaves and Mr Lee. Not too keen on There goes my baby either, but it has found favour with some on here.
    I would agree with yoùr choices for the cream tracks.
    Tell me again and Dirty Looks are very listenable too.

ShockWaves is a favorite for me!!!!!

SHOCK-WAVES/HEAT-WAVE[S]

I'd have no trouble mixing between those two!!

[not sure about those tongue twills! never heard that on a record before ! ]

I would say Tell Mama, Shockwaves and Mr Lee. Not too keen on There goes my baby either, but it has found favour with some on here.
    I would agree with yoùr choices for the cream tracks.
    Tell me again and Dirty Looks are very listenable too.
    Agree, “Shockwaves” is quite simply dreadful. I remember a review from Blues & Soul magazine that said “why does she continue to release such dreadful songs”. I wonder who was responsible in selecting such weak singles?.
    Not quite as bad as “Girls”, but close to.

Agree, “Shockwaves” is quite simply dreadful. I remember a review from Blues & Soul magazine that said “why does she continue to release such dreadful songs”. I wonder who was responsible in selecting such weak singles?.
    Not quite as bad as “Girls”, but close to.
    Well it sure as hell wasn't me who chose those singles! Whoever it was in all likelihood were relieved off their duties. I am not sure if she had any input. It's the sort of dross she would choose. There were some potential hits on that project.
    I would have to concede that Girls was slightly more appalling than Shockwaves, but it should never have been recorded, let alone released as a single.

Quote Originally Posted by JLoveLamar View Post
    Two weeks detention for you my friend!

I love Shockwaves as well. Great fun.

I thought she looked great in The Wiz. I have a thing for afros, so maybe I am a bit biased.
    I thought the lady looked gorgeous, particularly in the 'Home' finale. They had faces then!

Well it sure as hell wasn't me who chose those singles! Whoever it was in all likelihood were relieved off their duties. I am not sure if she had any input. It's the sort of dross she would choose.
    I agree, it probably was lol. It certainly came as no surprise when the single died a dismal death.
    I seem to remember reading she shot a promo for the song from the waist up as she was heavily pregnant. It seems odd nothing has ever surfaced.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I love Shockwaves as well. Great fun.
    You can go to the back of the classroom too!

I agree, it probably was lol. It certainly came as no surprise when the single died a dismal death.
    I seem to remember reading she shot a promo for the song from the waist up as she was heavily pregnant. It seems odd nothing has ever surfaced.
    She did shoot a video. I have seen it. I didn't realise it was so rare. I cannot recall much about it due to having to adjust my ear plugs to ensure i could not hear the music. I am sure i have a copy of it somewhere. I shall attempt to unearth it when i am feeling better.

I understand why EMI UK chose Shockwaves; it was the album track most closest to Chain Reaction and that had been a number one hit. And then with a "hip" Shep Pettibone mix that might sound like a winner, on paper at least. Shockwaves is a fun song, but not much more than that, prrrr. I didn't do much for me as a teenager; I really preferred Shine and It's Hard for Me to Say [[the latter which got some airplay in the Netherlands just because of the Luther Vandross connection).