[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Ed Sullivan Show/ MeTV

I just saw a commercial on MeTV and they are airing the Ed Sullivan show on Sunday nights. I immediately went to my DVR to record the series and just my luck, an episode with the Supremes airs this Sunday. My question is this, the episode is only 30 minutes. Is that how long the show was, or was it an hour? Also on this episode is Gary Lewis and the Playboys and the Harlem Globetrotters. Anyone know more about this episode? What do the Supremes sing?
    Last edited by khansperac; 03-30-2021 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    I just saw a commercial on MeTV and they are airing the Ed Sullivan show on Sunday nights. I immediately went to my DVR to record the series and just my luck, an episode with the Supremes airs this Sunday. My question is this, the episode is only 30 minutes. Is that how long the show was, or was it an hour? Also on this episode is Gary Lewis and the Playboys and the Harlem Globetrotters. Anyone know more about this episode? What do the Supremes sing?
    These sound like the edited 30-minute versions that used to air in syndication. The Decades channel was airing them in the past few years. The original shows were 60 minutes.

The episode you described sounds like the 12/66 show where they sang MY FAVORITE THINGS and a hits medley.
    Last edited by reese; 03-30-2021 at 09:36 PM.

Thanks Reese.

I bought the sullivan dvd box set about 15 yrs ago for the Supremes performances it had most of their singles hits but none of the show tunes etc..I was disappointed about 5 yrs ago to purchase the single dvd release of the Supremes performances and that was incomplete compilation of their work on sullivan..why can't they release the complete performances ? ..

Thanks Reese.
    You're welcome.

The only problem is that every so often, the shows are edited badly. For instance, when Ike and Tina appeared, they did a medley of songs. When the 30 minute version aired, they put half the medley at the beginning of the show and stuck the rest of it at the end.

In addition to the shows being edited to 30 minutes, some songs or medleys were also edited.

The edited "up the ladder" on my box set is criminal...

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    The edited "up the ladder" on my box set is criminal...
    The edited version is the only one i have ever seen of this performance. Did the original broadcast in 1970 contain the full version?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    The edited version is the only one i have ever seen of this performance. Did the original broadcast in 1970 contain the full version?
    Apparently so a verse is edited out of the performance

here’s the full version. I can’t tell you how dazzled I was seeing the pant suits, medley, hearing the new record, and seeing the new Supreme. I recorded it with my tape recorder and probably played that medley 500 times over the years I know it by heart and then some. They were simply sensational, yet, my heart didn’t beat fast. It was very strange to me seeing The Supremes on TV and not having that feeling, especially when they were so fantastic. I soon learned what the missing element was that made my heart beat out of my chest every time is the Supremes had been on TV.

here’s the full song - I couldn’t wait to buy the 45, I remember it took like a week or so to get to St. Louis, but I had my tape to hold me over. Jeez, I loved this 45.....

https://youtu.be/MBu8pUJNRpg. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    here’s the full version. I can’t tell you how dazzled I was seeing the pant suits, medley, hearing the new record, and seeing the new Supreme. I recorded it with my tape recorder and probably played that medley 500 times over the years I know it by heart and then some. They were simply sensational, yet, my heart didn’t beat fast. It was very strange to me seeing The Supremes on TV and not having that feeling, especially when they were so fantastic. I soon learned what the missing element was that made my heart beat out of my chest every time is the Supremes had been on TV.

here’s the full song - I couldn’t wait to buy the 45, I remember it took like a week or so to get to St. Louis, but I had my tape to hold me over. Jeez, I loved this 45.....

https://youtu.be/MBu8pUJNRpg. Enjoy!
    Thank you so much for that
    I have seen the edited version so many times and i always assumed that was what was originally broadcast. Why the hell was the edited version used on the official Ed Sullivan dvd. Utter madness.
    Thank you again for posting this definitive performance.
    I

Speaking of edited, did they perform Someday in full or is that originally how it was broadcast? All the versions I've seen have them editing out the second verse.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Speaking of edited, did they perform Someday in full or is that originally how it was broadcast? All the versions I've seen have them editing out the second verse.
    That's the way it was originally broadcast.

I've asked this question here a few times, but would like new opinions when looking at this video.

I always heard Jean come in early with the line , "if you go up to the ladder" I can hear her say "if you" realizes she came in early, and stops. In this video, I can also see her acknowledge the mistake of the recording by moving her lips to it. Every time I ask this question, {since 1970} I have been told that I am wrong. Now I see her moving her lips to the recorded "if you" mistake. It's at 1:32.

Help me. I am an old man with a hearing problem, but I have been hearing it since 1970 before loud music ruined my ears. Is she saying "if you" And in this video is she moving her lips to it? Or am I simply insane?

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post

I've asked this question here a few times, but would like new opinions when looking at this video.

I always heard Jean come in early with the line , "if you go up to the ladder" I can hear her say "if you" realizes she came in early, and stops. In this video, I can also see her acknowledge the mistake of the recording by moving her lips to it. Every time I ask this question, {since 1970} I have been told that I am wrong. Now I see her moving her lips to the recorded "if you" mistake. It's at 1:32.

Help me. I am an old man with a hearing problem, but I have been hearing it since 1970 before loud music ruined my ears. Is she saying "if you" And in this video is she moving her lips to it? Or am I simply insane?
    I would never have noticed it if you hadn't pointed it out. But after the line "they'll all fade away," I do hear a slight "if" at the point you mentioned, although I don't see her moving her lips to it. I think that's just the way her lips were, in terms of anticipating the next line.

Milven I've noticed that moment in the audio of the actual song before. I've never been 100 percent sure if it was Jean or the musical sound effects. My money is on the sound effect. Hard to believe such a great and important song would have a poor edit that left in a millisecond of something Jean was singing.

As far as the video, I don't think Jean was moving her mouth to it.

I was surprised Diana didnt debut "Reach Out And Touch" on Sullivan but made the move to debut her solo career on Merv Griffin..maybe it was to dissociate herself from the Supremes legacy on Sullivan..

I was surprised Diana didnt debut "Reach Out And Touch" on Sullivan but made the move to debut her solo career on Merv Griffin..maybe it was to dissociate herself from the Supremes legacy on Sullivan..
    Someone posted on here that she was originally scheduled to debut Reach out and touch on the Sullivan show, but Berry Gordy pulled the plug on it much to Sullivan's fury. Not sure of the reasons behind it.

Interesting bluebrock..I learn things on this forum everyday I must read the biography on sullivan [[which has the Supremes in their someday finery on the cover)..the sullivan show finished in 1971 I've always wanted to know why ..it was such a staple of american culture

Interesting bluebrock..I learn things on this forum everyday I must read the biography on sullivan [[which has the Supremes in their someday finery on the cover)..the sullivan show finished in 1971 I've always wanted to know why ..it was such a staple of american culture
    I do believe the ratings plummeted quite drastically during the final couple of years.
    Not sure why. Perhaps that type of variety show fell out of favour. It was massive in the 60's of course. Berry must have had his reasons. I'm sure Reach out would have gone top 10 had she performed it live on tv at the time of release.

I remember anticipating this Supremes performance on Sullivan. For me, it did not disappoint. And, I was so excited to hear Cindy sing a line! They looked good and sounded good, and it made me happy that The Supremes were still there!

If someone ever releases Always, from the Irving Berlin Tribute Show, on CD, I sincerely do hope that they edit out the spoken interlude near the end. The song, otherwise, is performed beautifully, but with the appearance of that jarring "Tell you what we'll do, we're gonna sock it to you now 'cause here comes the judge" interjection, what could have been a masterpiece is ruined. I would also like to have the Irving Berlin Medley on CD, in case you're listening, Mr. or Ms. Record Producer! And by the way, it wouldn't be too hard to do this edit; I made a passable, though not professional grade, edit myself, so I can listen to the Irving Berlin songs along with the other standards and not feel too miserable!

My DVR automatically records this show. Apparently another episode with the Supremes airs tonight. Don’t know if it’s coincidence or Supreme luck. Tonight’s show features the Turtles, Blue Comets, and Ken Venturi. Anyone know what the Supremes sing? Maybe to late to ask, the show comes on in 30 minutes so I guess I’ll find out.

My DVR automatically records this show. Apparently another episode with the Supremes airs tonight. Don’t know if it’s coincidence or Supreme luck. Tonight’s show features the Turtles, Blue Comets, and Ken Venturi. Anyone know what the Supremes sing? Maybe to late to ask, the show comes on in 30 minutes so I guess I’ll find out.
    I haven’t watched yet, but the preview was My World Is Empty Without You...

Interesting bluebrock.......the sullivan show finished in 1971 I've always wanted to know why ..it was such a staple of american culture
    CBS cancelled a lot of shows during that period. They were looking for a younger audience and cancelled some long time running, and still popular, shows like Jackie Gleason, Sullivan, Red Skelton, Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, Hee Haw, and Petticoat Junction. It was called the rural purge. While it was sad to see these popular favorites be dumped all at once, it did make room for some future classics like All in The Family and MASH.

Also, I believe Ed Sullivan was steadily declining with dementia, and he passed away a year or so later.

I wonder if his famous “Here they are….the girls” was the beginning signs of that terrible disease

CBS cancelled a lot of shows during that period. They were looking for a younger audience and cancelled some long time running, and still popular, shows like Jackie Gleason, Sullivan, Red Skelton, Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, Hee Haw, and Petticoat Junction. It was called the rural purge. While it was sad to see these popular favorites be dumped all at once, it did make room for some future classics like All in The Family and MASH.

Also, I believe Ed Sullivan was steadily declining with dementia, and he passed away a year or so later.

I wonder if his famous “Here they are….the girls” was the beginning signs of that terrible disease
    Very interesting thanks milven

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    I haven’t watched yet, but the preview was My World Is Empty Without You...
    Thanks. Yes they sang “My world is empty” and also “Somewhere”.

In an interview about her appearances on his program, Joan Rivers speculated the same.

I happened to see it tonight - yes My World and a dramatic Somewhere

Lots of eye make up and hair over the eye for Diana and lots of drama by her at the conclusion of Somewhere

You could hear Florence over Mary

For all the dishonesty there’s been published about hands being raised over faces, I thought they took great care not to do that - but once I thought Mary nearly did it

I just watched " somewhere" on you tube.. someone commented that only diana is singing live and that flo and Mary are lyp syncing to a pre recorded track..is this true ?..

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I happened to see it tonight - yes My World and a dramatic Somewhere

Lots of eye make up and hair over the eye for Diana and lots of drama by her at the conclusion of Somewhere

You could hear Florence over Mary

For all the dishonesty there’s been published about hands being raised over faces, I thought they took great care not to do that - but once I thought Mary nearly did it
    If you've watched they sing Stop on Mike Douglas when they throw they hands up in the air on the last chorus, Flo actually briefly blocks Diana's face but quickly realizes it and moves her hand away. It's pretty funny. I believe the Diana blocking faces thing started when they did the Funny Girl medley on Sullivan.

I just watched " somewhere" on you tube.. someone commented that only diana is singing live and that flo and Mary are lyp syncing to a pre recorded track..is this true ?..
    I always thought they were singing live for Somewhere because when Diana moves up forward at the end, Flo and Mary are barely audible as they were for most of the song before that.

I’m sure all of them were singing live. Later on performances saw only Diana singing live
    I always thought they were singing live for Somewhere because when Diana moves up forward at the end, Flo and Mary are barely audible as they were for most of the song before that.

I have a really difficult time watching Diana Ross perform with the Supremes. Those supremes just ooze hate and jealousy for Miss Ross when they are performing together. My heart aches for Diana for what she had to put up with. I admire her so much for rising above the hate and jealously and pettiness of the Supremes. It's inspiring. But I have to admit it hurts me to see as someone who loves Diana Ross. I wish I could go back in time to 1960 and tell Diana Ross to believe in herself. You're fabulous. You're a star. You can make it on your own. Then she wouldn't have had to be in the Supremes. I love the Supremes songs, they're magic. But I rather watch Diana Ross perform solo. I'm grateful there are plenty of Diana Ross solo performances us true fans who love Diana Ross can watch on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadinglove21 View Post
    I have a really difficult time watching Diana Ross perform with the Supremes. Those supremes just ooze hate and jealousy for Miss Ross when they are performing together. My heart aches for Diana for what she had to put up with. I admire her so much for rising above the hate and jealously and pettiness of the Supremes. It's inspiring. But I have to admit it hurts me to see as someone who loves Diana Ross. I wish I could go back in time to 1960 and tell Diana Ross to believe in herself. You're fabulous. You're a star. You can make it on your own. Then she wouldn't have had to be in the Supremes. I love the Supremes songs, they're magic. But I rather watch Diana Ross perform solo. I'm grateful there are plenty of Diana Ross solo performances us true fans who love Diana Ross can watch on youtube.
    I also prefer her as a solo act, but there is no point in rehashing old stories especially now that Mary and Flo are no longer around. The Supremes created so many memories for so many people. Let's be grateful for the legacy they left behind for us to enjoy.

I also prefer her as a solo act, but there is no point in rehashing old stories especially now that Mary and Flo are no longer around. The Supremes created so many memories for so many people. Let's be grateful for the legacy they left behind for us to enjoy.
    Bluebrock just out of curiosity were you not enchanted by the magic three of them together? I'm a fan where I love the three of them together but as solo acts I just can't seem to get into them. I downloaded Mary's solo album and have listened to the first few of Diana's but for me something is missing. The three of together just do it for me.

you’re correct, it’s slight, but it’s there. She also totally misses the ooh towards the end, and is soft on a few bits of diction, But I think she does a fabulous job lip-synching for the first time on national television she must’ve been scared to death. There was so much media attention on the person replacing diana ross that I’m sure she needed new panties by the time she got off stage.

Diana is a master at lip-synch however she gets screwed up on her versus when she’s not concentrating on the lyrics like love child or you keep me hanging on at the Hollywood Palace just to name a few. However, she’s great in LSTB When she has time to be down on it.

there are a few times that gnarl at me, but I think they all did a fine job of hiding their animosity. They were three young girls who became international stars overnight after five years, and that kind of stuff is going to happen often. I saw Florence look at Diana a couple times, but not in a bad way, although not necessarily in a good way either. And a couple little Mary things that did had to be deliberate but again there was a lot of tension and a lot of everything and the fact that they did as well as they did I is extremely commendable for all of them.

there are a few times that gnarl at me, but I think they all did a fine job of hiding their animosity. They were three young girls who became international stars overnight after five years, and that kind of stuff is going to happen often. I saw Florence look at Diana a couple times, but not in a bad way, although not necessarily in a good way either. And a couple little Mary things that did had to be deliberate but again there was a lot of tension and a lot of everything and the fact that they did as well as they did I is extremely commendable for all of them.
    I never noticed them ever giving each other glares? I don't even think they ever looked at each other while performing except for maybe Flo when she was trying to remember the dance steps.

I never noticed them ever giving each other glares? I don't even think they ever looked at each other while performing except for maybe Flo when she was trying to remember the dance steps.

of course glare is your word, I believe the word I used was “look “and what is in the happening and the other is at the end of somewhere in the Hollywood Palace.

of course glare is your word, I believe the word I used was “look “and what is in the happening and the other is at the end of somewhere in the Hollywood Palace.
    My bad I guess I should have looked more closely to your post.

The supremes performances I just can't watch anymore and I can't stand are when they do You're Nobody Until Somebody loves you. Diana Ross is trying to sing an uplifting positive message to the audience and those nasty Supremes are interrupting with smart ass, uppity comments and making fun of her or stepping in front of her trying to hog the attention. Or giving shady looks to each other. This drives me up the wall. If they didn't like Diana Ross singing such a positive message they should have quit the group. I no longer watch those performances, I can't take it. I want to jump into a time machine and give Diana Ross a hug and tell her she will be free of those no good player hating supremes.

I haven’t seen a lot of animosity - it was very hard to watch one member become a major star - so of course there would be some jealousy.

But I think the performances were good and very enjoyable and I don’t feel anything bad watching them.

Wasn't the Hollywood Palace when Flo had walking pneumonia? This was when shit was starting to hit the fan anyway.

The supremes performances I just can't watch anymore and I can't stand are when they do You're Nobody Until Somebody loves you. Diana Ross is trying to sing an uplifting positive message to the audience and those nasty Supremes are interrupting with smart ass, uppity comments and making fun of her or stepping in front of her trying to hog the attention. Or giving shady looks to each other. This drives me up the wall. If they didn't like Diana Ross singing such a positive message they should have quit the group. I no longer watch those performances, I can't take it. I want to jump into a time machine and give Diana Ross a hug and tell her she will be free of those no good player hating supremes.
    while you're entitled to you opinion, it seems that you might be interpreting things incorrectly. the act was totally scripted and those ad libs were planned as part of a comedy routine. If you listen to the More Hits By The Supremes Expanded Edition. it contains one of the first performances of You're Nobody and it contains similar joke lines. The often told story of these being some sort of rebellion by Flo during the Copa shows simply can't be true. Now maybe Gordy decided to NOT do the comedy routine at the Copa - maybe he thought this was too fancy a place. I'm just speculating on that though. Because although the stage patter was a bit different in the early version, it seems they planned this all along.

as for glares or withering looks onstage, i have practically every available fan video of the group. been trading these since the 90s. I'm not aware of any clip in the 60s where the girls acted unprofessionally.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    while you're entitled to you opinion, it seems that you might be interpreting things incorrectly. the act was totally scripted and those ad libs were planned as part of a comedy routine. If you listen to the More Hits By The Supremes Expanded Edition. it contains one of the first performances of You're Nobody and it contains similar joke lines. The often told story of these being some sort of rebellion by Flo during the Copa shows simply can't be true. Now maybe Gordy decided to NOT do the comedy routine at the Copa - maybe he thought this was too fancy a place. I'm just speculating on that though. Because although the stage patter was a bit different in the early version, it seems they planned this all along.

as for glares or withering looks onstage, i have practically every available fan video of the group. been trading these since the 90s. I'm not aware of any clip in the 60s where the girls acted unprofessionally.
    Well said sup fan

Bluebrock just out of curiosity were you not enchanted by the magic three of them together? I'm a fan where I love the three of them together but as solo acts I just can't seem to get into them. I downloaded Mary's solo album and have listened to the first few of Diana's but for me something is missing. The three of together just do it for me.
    Of course i was enchanted by the original trio, but Ms Ross had recently left the group when i first began to sit up and take notice of that voice. I was still a kid when i bought Remember Me and I'm still waiting on 7" vinyl at their time of release. It was after that when i began to dig into the past and discover the Supremes music.
    I have never cared much for Mary Wilson's voice, but i did buy her Motown album when it was first released. It didn't impress me back then and it certainly does not impress me now, but i am pleased for Mary's fanbase that the expanded edition is finally here. I am sure her fans will find it a more pleasant experience than i do.
    I will always enjoy listening to and watching the Supremes performances, But it is Ms Ross as a solo star who will always be closest to my heart. Hope that explains it sufficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

‘you’re right, the patter was scripted and loved by audiences. These three were not exactly Noel Coward, Groucho Marx and Tallulah Bankhead - but they did a good job with You're Nobody - but it appears no one ever worked with them about timer and staying in character, if not for the entire show at least for the bit. This is evident in the wonder May 1969 performance of the song where Sullivan is adding some adlibs which flustered Diana a bit and showed that Mary needed some fine tuning as well. My knowledge it was in every single performance of the COPA for five solid years. I believe it was still in the act occasionally when Jean joined but I don’t know if they ever did it at the Copa.

If you watch my beloved YCHL on Sullivan, You not only get my favorite of their own material performances, the brilliant Earring catch and toss, but there is intrigue in that some fans see Mary deliberately stepping into Diana’s mark forcing Flo to move right so there is room for Ross to join the trio in the middle. It appears that Mary is allowing Diana absolutely as little room as possible, and then begins to hit her in the leg with her tambourine. If you look very closely, right before the close-up of ross ends and cuts back to the trio, you can see her eyes flash down to Mary’s tambourine and, to some people, including me, I see that quick flash of anger that She ioccasionally displays. There are those Who think We’re just looking for trouble, but I swear we’re not. Well, I’M not anyway. Anyway, it starts at 1:35 - See what you think… there’s no right or wrong answer.

https://youtu.be/Itn438i30hk
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 04-20-2021 at 04:05 AM.

I wonder if we're being trolled. I'll not abide by any poster referencing 'nasty Supremes': each of the Supremes was a talented and determined lady who contributed greatly to American popular culture.

‘you’re right, the patter was scripted and loved by audiences. These three were not exactly Noel Coward, Groucho Marx and Tallulah Bankhead - but they did a good job with You're Nobody - but it appears no one ever worked with them about timer and staying in character, if not for the entire show at least for the bit. This is evident in the wonder May 1969 performance of the song where Sullivan is adding some adlibs which flustered Diana a bit and showed that Mary needed some fine tuning as well. My knowledge it was in every single performance of the COPA for five solid years. I believe it was still in the act occasionally when Jean joined but I don’t know if they ever did it at the Copa.

If you watch my beloved YCHL on Sullivan, You not only get my favorite of their own material performances, the brilliant Earring catch and toss, but there is intrigue in that some fans see Mary deliberately stepping into Diana’s mark forcing Flo to move right so there is room for Ross to join the trio in the middle. It appears that Mary is allowing Diana absolutely as little room as possible, and then begins to hit her in the leg with her tambourine. If you look very closely, right before the close-up of ross ends and cuts back to the trio, you can see her eyes flash down to Mary’s tambourine and, to some people, including me, I see that quick flash of anger that She ioccasionally displays. There are those Who think We’re just looking for trouble, but I swear we’re not. Well, I’M not anyway. Anyway, it starts at 1:35 - See what you think… there’s no right or wrong answer.

https://youtu.be/Itn438i30hk
    oh that's a fun performance to examine

at 0:50 you'll notice that Diana had moved a bit too far stage right. she quickly glances down and then shifts a little to stage left. my assumption is that she slightly walked passed her mark on the stage floor. she needed to be at the mark so that she'd be lined up for the camera shots when they start the 2nd chorus at 1:04

when Diana walks over to M and F, her pic cord is to stage left of Mary because of Diana's starting stage position. as Diana moved into the middle of the trio, she casually tugs the cord along but without being too overt with it. just gathering up more of the wire so that it's ready for her next stage movement

as Diana centers herself with the trio, i see mary and flo shift slightly while they're dancing in order to allow Diana in. but they can't spread too far apart because they need to be in the close up camera shot at 1:16. if they spread out too far, part of M and F would be cut off. I do see Diana glancing down at the end of the chorus but i don't see anything of a problem. actually i'd guess that she's looking to where her cord is as her left hand had previously been tapping against her hip. so i think she was looking to check where the cord is and start pulling it towards her

during verse 2, while the camera is focused on Diana, mary at some point steps back over the mic cord so that it'll be in front of her and ready for diana's next movement

when they hit the bridge and diana walks away from the group, her cord is now in front and will avoid any tangling under mary's heels

and then of course the wonderful earring scene! lol