[REMOVE ADS]

Motown had a Funk Sister?

who is the woman playing congas on this session? Due to the quality of the video Its somewhat hard to see her face.

Quote Originally Posted by MadLad View Post
    who is the woman playing congas on this session? Due to the quality of the video Its somewhat hard to see her face.

Bobbye Hall

here is the link for her history,intresting!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobbye_Hall

I was really surprised that you didn't know about Bobbye, Colton...She was a badDdddd girl! What I didn't know if that
    wikipedia link is correct is about her work with Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd and a few others listed in her session recordings.
    I wish she had written a book. Bobbye got around....

I'd actually intended to start a thread about how many "Funk Sisters" contributed instrumentally during the Detroit era! I know Valerie Simpson played piano on some of her productions and of course Bobbye Hall as you can see. But who else?

I forget what it says in the DVD from which this was taken - Bobbye or Sandra - but Sandra Crouch was also a percussionist on Motown sessions.

Dayna Hardwick - Woodwind. Plays flute on Reach Out I'll Be There

Sylvia Moy plays piano as does Kim Weston who plays on tour

Brenda Holloway - violin, sometimes in her shows, likely never on any studio recordings

RE: Brenda Holloway - violin, sometimes in her shows, likely never on any studio recordings

Wasn't a violin featured on her Motown LP cover ??
    I think it was & it led to a funny incident in an old friends 2nd hand record shop. He has been a soul fan since around 1970 but sells all genres in his UK shop. But selling classical albums is really hard, who wants to buy 60's vinyl classical LP's these days [[not too many people). But many old guys are unloading their old classical LP collections, so he gets offered loads that he can't sell.
    One day an old guy comes in with a 'selection' of his collection [[say 10 LP's) to see if he can sell them. My mate says ... can't really sell stuff like that mate sorry. The old guy is unhappy but accepts the decision. Before he walks out of the shop he says ... well you may as well have this one anyway. Bought it coz I thought I'd like the music on it coz of the cover picture. But it's not my sort of thing at all, so I've never played it in 30 years .... only brings out a mint UK T/M copy of Brenda's LP. My mate [[knowing it goes for about £100) says .... Ohh, for being so kind, I will buy those few classical LP's off you ... how about 10 quid for the lot [[including Brenda's LP).
    Result was, the old guy left the shop happy & my mate was over the moon.

Great story, John. I had the 16-track BH album with her and the violin on the cover, and I seem to remember I paid 10/6 [[50p nowadays) as a brand-new item in a sale bin. Needless to say I got a lot more when I sold it much later. It was in mono and I particularly loved Together Til The End Of Time on there. The CD version I have now is in stereo... and nowhere near as good! Funnily enough, the amazing Just Look What You've Done popped up on my Walkman on my way in to work today.

I'd almost KILL to see footage of Brendalicious Holloway playing violin on anything anywhere!.....Mercy!....

You can see Brenda playing violin on The Shebang Motown Special it`s only the intro to "My Girl" for the Temptations. Carol Kaye played bass for Motown in LA but not for the Funks.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    RE: Brenda Holloway - violin, sometimes in her shows, likely never on any studio recordings

Wasn't a violin featured on her Motown LP cover ??
    I saw a picture of her UK-only release "The Artistry Of Brenda Holloway" and it did indeed have a drawing or photo of a violin next to her photo. I think it was on Discogs and selling for about $150. So your friend made a fine swap.

If you can't see Brenda Holloway play the violin, you may at least be able to hear her violin solo on "Summertime", recorded live in Detroit in 1966, which is the last track on Brenda's "The Motown Anthology" CD.

SLIGHTLY LINKED TALE [[to Brenda Holloway LP cover story) .......... Back around 1971/72, EMI here in the UK seemed to do a deal with Woolworth's to clear most of their 'old stock' LP's out of their warehouse. For a couple of months there were racks of albums [[just about all EMI labels) set up like 'cut-out bins' in every Woolworths store across Britain [[& back then, there were 1 or 2 Woolworths store in every town / city here).
    I used to visit the local stores to check what was in these racks as the LP's were being sold for under 10/- [[might even have been as low as 2/6d ... 12p now). I bought loads of UK Stax albums but left way too many of the T/Mot ones ..... I would check the track listing & if there were too many 'COVERS' on an album [[tracks I already had by other Mot artists on 45), I would leave that particular one [[I was young & money wasn't flowing in my direction back then). So I got LP's such as those issued on the Fantastic 4 and Monitors but left many others ....... including copies of Brenda's LP, some Tempts, Miracles, M & Vands, Marvelettes & loads of Supremes.

learn something new everyday!

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I was really surprised that you didn't know about Bobbye, Colton...She was a badDdddd girl! What I didn't know if that
    wikipedia link is correct is about her work with Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd and a few others listed in her session recordings.
    I wish she had written a book. Bobbye got around....

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    SLIGHTLY LINKED TALE [[to Brenda Holloway LP cover story) .......... Back around 1971/72, EMI here in the UK seemed to do a deal with Woolworth's to clear most of their 'old stock' LP's out of their warehouse. For a couple of months there were racks of albums [[just about all EMI labels) set up like 'cut-out bins' in every Woolworths store across Britain [[& back then, there were 1 or 2 Woolworths store in every town / city here).
    I used to visit the local stores to check what was in these racks as the LP's were being sold for under 10/- [[might even have been as low as 2/6d ... 12p now). I bought loads of UK Stax albums but left way too many of the T/Mot ones ..... I would check the track listing & if there were too many 'COVERS' on an album [[tracks I already had by other Mot artists on 45), I would leave that particular one [[I was young & money wasn't flowing in my direction back then). So I got LP's such as those issued on the Fantastic 4 and Monitors but left many others ....... including copies of Brenda's LP, some Tempts, Miracles, M & Vands, Marvelettes & loads of Supremes.
    i remember that lot in my local woolies in witney.72/73 i was at brize norton [[so in 71 i wouldnt have been anywhere near that shop)i got nitty gritty,sugar n spice,25 miles,mpg.but i left behind [[makes me ill thinking about it) kiki dee great expectations,chris clarke's soul sounds and some marvelettes and some others i already had.even tho they were dirt cheap i didnt have enough wedge on me,i'd already blown a load on records in oxford.by the time i was flush again woolies had sold the lot.i think they were 25p an lp deff not more than 50p.normal priced lps were around £1.50-£2

Quote Originally Posted by hwume View Post
    I forget what it says in the DVD from which this was taken - Bobbye or Sandra - but Sandra Crouch was also a percussionist on Motown sessions.
    Just checked, it's Bobbye Hall in that clip.